PDA

View Full Version : What Upgrades Can Krivsky Add Before Opening Day?

redsfan30
02-09-2006, 09:40 AM
I put this on the ORG because I wanted to know the opinions of some of our best baseball minds.

The question is, are there any potential upgrades to this roster that are still out there that Wayne Krivski could find and how much would you pay for them?

flyer85
02-09-2006, 10:05 AM
paint the outhouse door

KronoRed
02-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Release Womack.

corkedbat
02-09-2006, 10:16 AM
I put this on the ORG because I wanted to know the opinions of some of our best baseball minds.

The question is, are there any potential upgrades to this roster that are still out there that Wayne Krivski could find and how much would you pay for them?

Thought I'd get my answer in before those "best baseball minds" started chiming in and making sense and all. :D

I guess there is a chance that Krivsky makes a deal or two during ST or the runup, but would expect more action closer to the trade deadline. I think that he'll be spending the majority of time the next few weeks becoming acclimated with the organziation, familiarizing himself with the personnel and getting his people/system in place. However, I don't think it will take a year (plus) like it did with Dan0 - I'd think he did a lot of homework preparing for the interviews to increase his chances at getting the job.

I will predict this though, if he does make a deal rapidly it will be someone he has coveted from his time with the Twins and will give pretty good indication of his philosophy and the direction in which he wants to take this franchise.

flyer85
02-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Release Womack.without a doubt, that should be his first official act as GM. He is somewhere below worthless. Cashman still has to be :ughmamoru over that trade.

Krusty
02-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Ken Rosenthal was right. If the Reds have any indication that signing Adam Dunn will be difficult, then they need to trade him now. Dunn could bring in three impact prospects that would be the building blocks to a contending team down the road. If you look and see what Dunn and Griffey will do to the payroll the Reds will have no payroll flexibility. And payroll flexibility is what you need today. Trading Griffey would be difficult but if you're willing to pay a portion of his contract, you still gain payroll flexibility.

Like I said, Dunn could net three outstanding prospects. You don't think the Angels or Dodgers would give up two or three of their crown jewels for a hitter like Adam Dunn?

The next year or two would be painful but it is time the Reds did this rebuilding process right.

redsfan30
02-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Thought I'd get my answer in before those "best baseball minds" started chiming in and making sense and all. :D
:devil:

I didn't mean to make it sound like everyone else's opinion didn't matter. Just wanted to get a feel for what the "Redszone 10" had to say.

:evil:

BRM
02-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Release Womack.

I second this one.

RedsManRick
02-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Well, who's a 'lock' on the 25 man roster right now?

1 Dunn
2 Kearns
3 Pena
4 Jr.
5 Freel
6 Encarnacion
7 Lopez
8 Aurilia
9 Womack
10 LaRue
11 Valentin

12 Harang
13 Milton
14 Wilson
15 Williams
16 Claussen
17 Mercker
18 Weathers
19 Hammond
21 White

I think those are the only 100% locks. But then you have a handful of guys who have a really good shot at making it:
22 Wagner
23 Hudson
24 Shackleford
25 Denorfia

And a group of guys who all will be there competing already:
25 Perez
26 Sardihna
26 Bergolla
27 Olmedo
28 Cruz
27 Simpson
28 Standridge
29 Burns
30 Hancock

I honestly don't think there's anybody out there who would join the first group and there's enough talent to choose from for the remaining spots that no new FA signings really make sense. However, if a significant trade is made, all bets are off.

Red Leader
02-09-2006, 11:00 AM
I honestly don't think there's anybody out there who would join the first group and there's enough talent to choose from for the remaining spots that no new FA signings really make sense. However, if a significant trade is made, all bets are off.

Can I see your membership card, please? :cool:

MartyFan
02-09-2006, 01:35 PM

I guess there is a chance that Krivsky makes a deal or two during ST or the runup, but would expect more action closer to the trade deadline. I think that he'll be spending the majority of time the next few weeks becoming acclimated with the organziation, familiarizing himself with the personnel and getting his people/system in place. However, I don't think it will take a year (plus) like it did with Dan0 - I'd think he did a lot of homework preparing for the interviews to increase his chances at getting the job.

I will predict this though, if he does make a deal rapidly it will be someone he has coveted from his time with the Twins and will give pretty good indication of his philosophy and the direction in which he wants to take this franchise.

I think we could see Krivsky hit the ground running. IN an article I read that he had made himself familiar with the organization during his last interview and never really stopped evaluating the talent.

Sea Ray
02-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Well, who's a 'lock' on the 25 man roster right now?

1 Dunn
2 Kearns
3 Pena
4 Jr.
5 Freel
6 Encarnacion
7 Lopez
8 Aurilia
9 Womack
10 LaRue
11 Valentin

12 Harang
13 Milton
14 Wilson
15 Williams
16 Claussen
17 Mercker
18 Weathers
19 Hammond
21 White

I think those are the only 100% locks. But then you have a handful of guys who have a really good shot at making it:
22 Wagner
23 Hudson
24 Shackleford
25 Denorfia

And a group of guys who all will be there competing already:
25 Perez
26 Sardihna
26 Bergolla
27 Olmedo
28 Cruz
27 Simpson
28 Standridge
29 Burns
30 Hancock

I'd add Germano and Olmedo to that list of possibilities

StillFunkyB
02-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Ken Rosenthal was right. If the Reds have any indication that signing Adam Dunn will be difficult, then they need to trade him now. Dunn could bring in three impact prospects that would be the building blocks to a contending team down the road. If you look and see what Dunn and Griffey will do to the payroll the Reds will have no payroll flexibility. And payroll flexibility is what you need today. Trading Griffey would be difficult but if you're willing to pay a portion of his contract, you still gain payroll flexibility.

Like I said, Dunn could net three outstanding prospects. You don't think the Angels or Dodgers would give up two or three of their crown jewels for a hitter like Adam Dunn?

The next year or two would be painful but it is time the Reds did this rebuilding process right.

Krusty, sometimes your trade proposals are off the wall. You are dead-on here. I agree. If your going to trade Dunn, do it now.

I would also like to add that they should not, I repeat SHOULD NOT trade Dunn to a team in the NL Central.

schroomytunes
02-09-2006, 09:01 PM
I think Krivsky will let the season begin first then see what happens after May before he pulls the trigger on any deals. We will not get the prospects we desire with our current roster except for trading Dunn, which wouldn't be logical when we could trade him at the deadline for the PRIZE prospects. I think he will be open to trading some guys who dont make the club out of spring training for lower level prospects. Trust me someone will overpay for any pitching these days.

Topcat
02-09-2006, 09:33 PM
I think he is going to get busy come spring training. he knows the area of weakness and needs to use his talents in player evaluations of othe teams rosters and work a deal or 2.

Krusty
02-10-2006, 12:31 AM
Let's hope Krivsky is more aggressive in swinging deals than O'Brien was.

SirFelixCat
02-10-2006, 06:14 AM
One does hope that Krivsky can find a way to lock Dunn up LT, but if he finds that he can not, then, as much as it pains me to say, Krusty (Or Kenny R. put it...God I loathe Rosenthal), has it right, imo.

buckeyenut
02-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Let's hope Krivsky is more aggressive in swinging deals than O'Brien was.Schottzie would be more aggressive swinging deals.

KronoRed
02-10-2006, 09:45 AM
As long as they are good deals, bringing in more junk doesn't fill me with hope ;)

flyer85
02-10-2006, 12:18 PM
bringing in more junk doesn't fill me with hope ;)"One man's junk is another man's treasure."

And DanO treasured the junk of others.

M2
02-10-2006, 02:14 PM
The only deals I see potentially being on the table for Krivsky before opening day would involve moving Jr, Mercker or Weathers. Jr.'s a bit of long shot, but if someone gets itchy for a big bat (e.g. Atlanta or Los Anaheim or D.C.) then he might be able to carpe some diem.

Krusty
02-10-2006, 02:16 PM
The only deals I see potentially being on the table for Krivsky would involve moving Jr, Mercker or Weathers.

Nah, for some reason I think Krivsky will make some impact moves to turn this around.

M2
02-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Nah, for some reason I think Krivsky will make some impact moves to turn this around.

But where's the market for guys like Kearns and Pena. I agree they could help a bunch of teams. I just figure those teams have made other arrangements and won't realize how Kearns or Pena could help them until the summer. As for Dunn, I'd be surprised if anyone offered what he's worth in February.

traderumor
02-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Just listening to a rather quick, light interview on mlb.com radio from yesterday, it sounds like a big bopper might not survive the spring if he can get a starter out of it. He also mentioned that some free agents are out there, and I think he is disturbed by not having a definite closer. I also look for this roster to be blown up as he stated "offense is great, but you can gain respectability quicker with pitching and defense."