PDA

View Full Version : Reds release Mark Schramek

jmcclain19
02-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Newest print edition of Baseball America arrived in my mailbox today.

On the transactions page

Cincinnati Reds
Released 3B Mark Schramek

That 2002 draft is looking better and better every day.

Ravenlord
02-10-2006, 05:10 PM
wasn't Schramek drafted as a pitcher?

i remember watching Schramek in Dayton a couple times. i think both nights he and Correll were the only guys in the lineup with a an AVG above 240. not long after the second night i saw them, they got sent to Potomac.

Aronchis
02-10-2006, 05:12 PM
There still is Denorfia,Votto,Medlock and Perez!!!!!!!!

lollipopcurve
02-10-2006, 05:12 PM
A relief. Schramek was relentlessly bad.

flyer85
02-10-2006, 05:13 PM
The best pick 200K could buy.

M2
02-10-2006, 05:21 PM
A relief. Schramek was relentlessly bad.

That sums him up perfectly.

On a related issue, do Schramek and Kyle Edens form the demarcation line for where Johnny Almaraz lost his touch?

lollipopcurve
02-10-2006, 05:37 PM
do Schramek and Kyle Edens form the demarcation line for where Johnny Almaraz lost his touch?

I don't know, but I do recall Almarez being quoted as saying Schramek was the best college hitter in his draft class.

ochre
02-10-2006, 05:46 PM
I'd like to know what the incoming people think of a guy like Medlock. The kid has performed, but he doesn't necessarily pass the tools test.

Ravenlord
02-10-2006, 05:49 PM
I'd like to know what the incoming people think of a guy like Medlock. The kid has performed, but he doesn't necessarily pass the tools test.
come to think of it, does Harang really pass the tools test? doesn't his tool set put him as a number 4 kind of guy?

M2
02-10-2006, 05:53 PM
come to think of it, does Harang really pass the tools test? doesn't his tool set put him as a number 4 kind of guy?

I like his heater. It's deceptively fast and it's heavy.

KittyDuran
02-10-2006, 05:58 PM
wasn't Schramek drafted as a pitcher?

i remember watching Schramek in Dayton a couple times. i think both nights he and Correll were the only guys in the lineup with a an AVG above 240. not long after the second night i saw them, they got sent to Potomac.Actually they got sent to Chattanooga, which was disastrous for both of them. After struggling at Chattanooga they were sent to Potomac.

Ravenlord
02-10-2006, 05:59 PM
easy arm deliveries do that.

rdiersin
02-10-2006, 05:59 PM

Here's what one tools guy said about Harang.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=10773

Bubba (Cincinnati, OH): Do the Reds have any potential in their starting rotation? LaRussa is high on Dave Williams (from the Casey trade) and Paul Wilson may come back to be as strong as he was in 2004. With the emergence of young arms like Harang and Claussen, do the Reds have a chance this year. We know their offense is good enough, but what about the pitching?

John Manuel: Bubba, I admire your optimism. So which of those pitchers would you want to start in a playoff series? If that's the top four, who's the ace? i don't see a No. 3, not to mention a No. 1. I guess Eric Milton gets No. 1 money but we realize how that turned out, and the Reds are the kind of team that can't afford massive mistakes like that one. I am not optimistic about the Reds near future, and the farm system is in the rebuilding stage as well. Sorry. Enjoy Chris Denorfia!

Now, he's probably right Harang isn't an ace in the normal sense, but I would think he's shown he's at least a number 3.

PuffyPig
02-10-2006, 06:01 PM

You are bang on.

But when we got him, everybody said his stuff was pretty average across the board.

It's a good reminder that pitchers (and their stuff) can improve, or seemingly improve,with better command.

Ravenlord
02-10-2006, 06:02 PM
It's a good reminder that pitchers (and their stuff) can improve, or seemingly improve,with better command.
Greg Maddux, Jaimie Moyer, and Chad Bradford know all about that.

M2
02-10-2006, 06:06 PM
easy arm deliveries do that.

The extra height helps too. Gets it on top of you just a little bit quicker.

IMO, what really put him over the top was getting in shape so that he can hold his velocity later into the game.

Ravenlord
02-10-2006, 06:10 PM
IMO, what really put him over the top was getting in shape so that he can hold his velocity later into the game.
not only that, but in 04, the drop in his numbers came after about 120 innings...in 05 it came at abou 170 innings. if he keeps up with his conditioning this offseason, he might not see a dead arm period, and keep his season K/9 above 7.3.

PuffyPig
02-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Now, he's probably right Harang isn't an ace in the normal sense, but I would think he's shown he's at least a number 3.

A starter these days who gives you 200 plus innings with an ERA under 4 is much more than a #3 guy. I doubt that you would find 50 starters in the majors who matched Harangs pitching last year. And that makes him a #2 guy.

princeton
02-10-2006, 08:44 PM
fine arm. I advocated pitching from the get-go.

of course, I'd have pitched anyone with an arm, and I'd pitch lefthanders even if they one-hop the plate. Out of Schramek , Miguel Perez, Paul Janisch, Craig Tatum, etc., maybe you'd have gotten a pitcher.

Which would, of course, give us our first pitcher.

Doc. Scott
02-10-2006, 11:37 PM
I wish we could have seen if the Reds could pull off a conversion themselves. Oh, well, there's always Paul Janish in a couple years.