PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Fever? Why aren't YOU in Torino?

Edskin
02-10-2006, 05:50 PM
I don't think it's too tough...........hope this makes you smile :)

http://edkleese.blogspot.com/

savafan
02-10-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm an American. We call it Turin.

deltachi8
02-10-2006, 09:01 PM
You wull see a Torino with no wheels on it. My cousin lives there, you tell him your my boy and your lost, he'll take care of you.

TeamBoone
02-11-2006, 12:04 AM
I would soooo love to be there, especially after watching the spectacular opening ceremonies.

Red in Chicago
02-11-2006, 12:09 AM
i'm just waiting for the curling...the best winter sport ever!!!

Edskin
02-11-2006, 11:55 AM
No TB-- I meant why aren't you COMPETING? Read my link in the first post, and you'll understand :)

RFS62
02-11-2006, 12:04 PM
very funny stuff

:beerme:

Edskin
02-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks all, I really appreciate you taking the time to read :)

SandyD
02-11-2006, 05:18 PM
mommy and daddy refused to buy me a sled when I was 6, no matter how much I begged. Never mind that the area we lived in lacked snow AND hills.

But in my dreams, I would race down the slopes with the best of them. So, if only I'd had that sled, and the snow, and the hills ... who knows? ;)

KronoRed
02-11-2006, 05:34 PM
I gre up in Florida..like Sandy the lack of snow held me back ;)

TeamCasey
02-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Very good, Ed. :)

SandyD
02-11-2006, 06:00 PM
I gre up in Florida..like Sandy the lack of snow held me back ;)

Don't forget lack of ice. I actually remember when I first noticed that water became ice when it got cold. I was 3. And it was a little puddle of rainwater in the gutter by my house that froze.

GIK
02-11-2006, 06:12 PM
I'd say the Ferrari F1 car doing donuts in the Opening Ceremony was pretty sweet. :thumbup:

Gallen5862
02-11-2006, 07:27 PM
We could sign up for the Curling team. I volunteer to slide the stones. We just need great broom men and women.

KronoRed
02-11-2006, 08:45 PM
I can handle a broom pretty well.

Patrick Bateman
02-12-2006, 12:52 AM
We could sign up for the Curling team. I volunteer to slide the stones. We just need great broom men and women.

I actually curl so I can handle it all :dancingco

westofyou
02-12-2006, 12:55 AM
I actually curl so I can handle it all :dancingco

My buddy from Toronto and I were talking about curling today, his claim is it's more of a western canadian thing.

Is this true?

vaticanplum
02-12-2006, 01:06 AM
Is this true?

I'll leave the "real" answer to the Canadians, but my impression is yes.

Curling is possibly the most fun sport on earth. You have a skip, a thrower guy whose job it is to hurl the rock, and two sweepers who wear awesome shoes and their job is to polish the ice. The goal is to get your rocks closest to the center of the target at the other end of the ice as possible. The other team's goal is to knock your rocks out. Seriously, if there's a better sport than one which involves one team knocking the other's rocks out, I have yet to find it.

Also, I have serious olympic fever.

Patrick Bateman
02-12-2006, 01:22 AM
I'll leave the "real" answer to the Canadians, but my impression is yes.

Curling is possibly the most fun sport on earth. You have a skip, a thrower guy whose job it is to hurl the rock, and two sweepers who wear awesome shoes and their job is to polish the ice. The goal is to get your rocks closest to the center of the target at the other end of the ice as possible. The other team's goal is to knock your rocks out. Seriously, if there's a better sport than one which involves one team knocking the other's rocks out, I have yet to find it.

To expand on your answer, curling is generally more popular on the west coast, but there are many great curlers on the east as well, but definately more depth on the west.

Vatican, your answer is a little simplistic, so if you don't mind I would like to add to it and give you a better idea of the whole format.

Each team consists of 4 players: the lead, the second, the third, and the skip. Each player throws 2 rocks (with the lead throwing first) while the skip is generally the best thrower and also strategizes. The lead, second, and third all sweep depending on who is throwing.

If anyone has any questions, I love talking about curling and am always glad to share knowledge about it since for the most part many people don't know much about it and don't realize how great of a sport it really is.

vaticanplum
02-12-2006, 01:26 AM
Each team consists of 4 players: the lead, the second, the third, and the skip. Each player throws 2 rocks (with the lead throwing first) while the skip is generally the best thrower and also strategizes. The lead, second, and third all sweep depending on who is throwing.

Yeah, I've only played twice. I actually think I understand it better reading your post than I did when I played. Mine were highly informal games, to say the least. But what a rad time it is.

GAC
02-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Is it time for the Winter Olympics already? ;)

RFS62
02-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Curling reminds me of shuffleboard in a bar.