PDA

View Full Version : Who in the world will we break camp with?

Shaknb8k
02-10-2006, 08:10 PM
I understand that spring training is a week away and so many things can change. But there are a lot of players that are guaranteed spots. Hopefully Krivsky doesnt guarantee any spots but that is still to be seen.

Heres a look at the players that will be on the 25-man unless there is a trade or we actually do something crazy and take the best 25 players north and in doing so we get rid of a few players that shouldnt be on the team in the first place.

Starters: Claussen, Harang, Milton, Williams (4)
Relief: Belisle, Coffey, Gosling, Hammond, Merker, Wagner, Weathers, White (8)
Catchers: LaRue, Valentin (2)
Infielders: Aurilia, Dunn, Encarnacion, Freel, Lopez, Womack (6)
Outfielders: Denorfia, Griffey, Kearns, Pena (4)

That right there is 24 of the 25 players. That is 12 Pitchers and 12 Position players. I would have to guess that a few of these players will be on the DL coming out of spring training. I have already included Wilson on the DL. If hese not then our 25-man is set.

Here are the people left off the 25-man roster who are on the 40-man or are non-roster invitees who would have a shot at that last open spot with a good spring and if Wilson or any other player is on the DL.

Pitchers: Burns, Germano, Ramirez, Shackelford, Simpson, Standridge, Hancock, Hudson (if he clears)
Fielders: Abad, Bergolla, Cruz, Olmedo, Herr, Menechino, Perez

After looking at all this I really hope the first major change I notice from the other managment is that we break camp with the best 25 players and not just taking people up because they are under contract (Im looking at you Mr. Womack). One thing that is for sure is that there are going to be many players who were on the team last year who definatly arent going to make the cut. Should be interesting to see who Krivsky and Narron settle on. Feel free to add to my list if I forgot anyone.

*Edit: Just read on Marc's blog that Gosling has an option left so I would think that if he doesnt make the rotation he will be sent down to make room for someone else.

Mario-Rijo
02-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Hmm... let's see. Assuming everyones healthy and not completely abysmal in ST. And of course no ones dealt. I will update mine as needed!

Locks:
Starters: Harang, Claussen, Milton, Wilson (Health Withstanding)
Relievers: Weathers, Mercker, Hammonds

Near Locks:
Starters: Williams
Relievers: Coffey, Wagner, Belisle (Could also Start)

50-50:
Starters: Hancock (I hope not)
Relievers: White, Shackleford, Standridge

Not Likely but could surprise:
Starters/Relievers: Gosling, Ramirez, Germano (I hope so), Jeriome Robertson, Hudson (Ditto), Josh Hall, Journell
Relievers:Simpson, Bong, Burns

Locks:
Infielders: Dunn, Lopez, Aurilia

Near Locks: Encarnacion, Womack, Scott Hatteberg

50-50: Olmedo (Could he make Womack expendable with a good hitting spring?), Menechino

Not Likely: Bergolla, Herr, Stratton, Votto, Zapp, uhhh Menechino (he falls somewhere between)

Catchers:
Locks: Larue, Valentin

Not Likely: Sardinha, Perez (Not likely since we signed Hatteberg)

OF's:
Locks: Griffey, Kearns, Wily Mo, Freel

Near Locks: Denorfia

50-50: Jacob Cruz, Timo Perez, Quintin McKracken

Not Likely: Andy Abad, Tuffy Rhodes, Pedro Swann

So I count 16 locks (Assuming no injurys), and 8 near locks. Only 11 of which are pitchers. So what to do? Well I am going to add Hancock based on what I think they (The F.O.) will do. So we will break camp with these until another move(s) is made.

Starters: Milton, Wilson, Harang, Claussen, Williams
S/R's: Belisle, Hancock (Here's to hoping Germano, Hudson or Ramirez get it together)
Relievers: Weathers, Mercker, Hammonds, Coffey, Wagner

Catchers: Larue, Valentin

IF's: Dunn, Lopez, Aurilia, Womack, Encarnacion, Hatteberg
Of's: Griffey, Kearns, Pena, Freel, Denorfia

Opening Day Lineup:

2B: Ryan Freel
SS: Felipe Lopez
CF: Ken Griffey Jr.
1B: Adam Dunn
RF: Austin Kearns
LF: Wily Mo Pena
C: Jason Larue
3B: Edwin Encarnacion
P: Aaron Harang

Or Perhaps
2B: Tony Womack
3B: Rich Aurilia

I think we are missing a RH power bat for the bench....Stratton? Nah I doubt it, considering he's not even invited to big league camp.

TeamBoone
02-11-2006, 12:21 AM
My thinking is that Coffey and Cruz are also locks (and hopefully EE).

BigRed
02-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Starters:
C Larue
1b Dunn
2b Aurilia
Ss Lopez
3b Encarnacion
Lf Pena
Cf Griffey
Rf Kearns

Rotation:
Harang
Claussen
Williams
Milton

Krivsky Will Add Another Starter Before Camp Ends.

Bullpen:
Coffey
Weathers
Mercker
Hammond
White
Wagner
Belisle

Bench:
Valentin
Freel
Womack
Denorfia
Cruz

However, We All Know That A Trade, Free Agent Signing, Or Injuries Could Drastically Change Things.

kyred14
02-11-2006, 01:36 AM
Opening Day Lineup:

Or Perhaps
2B: Tony Womack
3B: Rich Aurilia

Did you have to post the second one? :scared:

If I was Krivsky, and Narron put that out on opening day, I would go to the dugout and demand his immediate resignation.

reds44
02-11-2006, 02:00 AM
Starters:
C Larue
1b Dunn
2b Aurilia
Ss Lopez
3b Encarnacion
Lf Pena
Cf Griffey
Rf Kearns

Rotation:
Harang
Claussen
Williams
Milton
X

Bullpen:
Coffey
Weathers
Mercker
Hammond
White
Wagner
Belisle

Bench:
Valentin
Freel
Womack
Denorfia
Timo

TeamBoone
02-11-2006, 02:06 AM
Cruz will be on the bench.

SirFelixCat
02-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Opening Day Lineup:

IMO, that absolutely should be the lineup as often as possible. Just wanted to throw that out there ;)

Mario-Rijo
02-11-2006, 08:11 PM

I agree but that could be a whole lot of swinging and missing for some time!

Ron Madden
02-11-2006, 08:24 PM
IMO, that absolutely should be the lineup as often as possible. Just wanted to throw that out there ;)

I like it SCRF, maybe flip EE and LaRue between 7 and 8 every now and then.

KoryMac5
02-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Shackleford will probably break camp with the big club. Good ERA lefties and righties hit .205 and .203 respctively off of him. But it does seem like we have a log jam of lefties now with Hammond, Mercker, and Shack.

RedsManRick
02-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Didn't White get an ML deal? I pretty sure you can count him as a lock.

Kc61
02-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Starting 8: Larue, Dunn, Freel, Lopez, Encarnacion, Pena, Griffey, Kearns.

Bench 5: Aurilia, Womack, Valentin, Denorfia, Cruz. (Possible surprises are Olmedo and Timo.)

Starters 5: Milton, Williams, Harang, Claussen, Wilson. (If Wilson injury, Belisle gets fifth spot temporarily.)

Relievers 7: Weathers, Mercker, Hammond, White, Coffey, Shackelford. Final spot is Belisle, but if he is in rotation, final spot to Wagner or Burns. (Think Reds might prefer Wagner to pitch in AAA for a few weeks to make sure he is healthy and ready to go again.)

Interested to see how team varies from this, as it will undoubtedly.

KronoRed
02-12-2006, 12:07 PM
I agree but that could be a whole lot of swinging and missing for some time!
Lots of K's = Lots of runs :D

GridironGrace
02-12-2006, 12:22 PM
I feel the only positions in question are 3B and 2B.

Freel Aurrila could play either one.

Womack 2B and Edwin 3B.

I see Edwin starting and getting his shot at 3B with Aurila resting him time to time as womack/freel platoon in resting players

also catcher.. as laure/valentin share the plate just like last season with maybe a lil more valentin in the lineup

Danny Serafini
02-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Everytime I'm ready to make a post in this thread the Reds make another roster move. If I took the roster as it stands now I'd bet almost the entire 25 would be locked in with very little chance for others to break in, but something tells me there will be a few more signings and trades that will make this exercise irrelevant for now.

Gallen5862
02-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Here is another roster move I have not seen before.
http://www.starnewsonline.com/apps/p...28/1005/sports
Article published Feb 13, 2006
Lawhorn twins reunited in Sarasota

The Lawhorn twins – Darryl and Trevor – report together March 1 for spring training with the Cincinnati Reds.
The reunion of the former New Hanover High School standouts was made possible when injury-riddled Darryl signed a free agent contract last month following a private workout in Sarasota, Fla. – the Reds’ spring training site.
“It’s pretty weird,’’ he said of joining the same organization as Trevor, the Reds’ ninth round pick out of East Carolina in 2004.
Darryl, also selected in 2004 by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 11th round from ECU, is yet to make his professional debut because of a twice surgically repaired broken right foot.
He originally injured the foot on a foul tip during a three-game series April 30 – May 2, 2004 against the University of Houston, but played through the pain until he fractured another bone while running out a ball June 5 in an NCAA Regional game.
After receiving medical clearance last January, Lawhorn and the Diamondbacks agreed to terms and he reported to Tucson for spring training, but re-broke bones in the same foot and Arizona released him.
This time, he sought Carolina Panthers’ team physician Robert Anderson, who performed surgery last May.
He medically cleared Lawhorn in early January.
“The first surgery, the way it was done, he said the screw was too big in my foot,’’ Lawhorn said. “So when I was running, it snapped the top of the bone. He had to go in there and take the screw out, shave the bone down and take bone out of my hip, put it in my foot and put two new screws in there.’’
East Carolina covered the medical expenses, Lawhorn said, because it was a pre-existing injury from college.
On Jan. 16, Lawhorn worked out for the Cleveland Indians at Brooks Field.
Hours later, he drove to Sarasota for a workout with the Reds.
The Indians wanted Lawhorn in camp for a second workout and asked him to sign an injury waiver.
He instead signed with Cincinnati as a second baseman – the same position as Trevor. They won’t compete for the same job or be assigned to the same squad. Trevor, a .252 hitter over 520 pro at bats, is expected to play for high Class A Sarasota, while Darryl, who batted .416, .332 and .298 in three seasons at East Carolina, thinks he’ll play for low A Dayton in a utility role, perhaps as a middle infielder-third baseman.
“I’ll be like a kid in a candy shop down there,’’ Darryl said of spring training camp.
In a sense, Darryl said the tryout was a formality.
“The Reds knew what I could do,’’ he said.
During the 2004 draft, the Reds phoned Darryl, telling him they planned to select him in the 11th round, but the Diamondbacks beat them to it.
The Lawhorns essentially have played together their entire lives. They were separated for one season as amateurs, when the right-handed hitting Trevor played for Barton College as a freshman before transferring to ECU.
“I told the Reds when I signed, ‘You are going to have to try and figure Trevor and me out,’’’ the left-handed hitting Darryl said. “All they have to do it put a bat in our hands and you can figure it out.’’

Chuck Carree: 343-2262 or chuck.carree@starnewsonline.com.

TeamSelig
02-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Can't forget about Hatteberg. He will have that final spot that is vacant. (IMO)