PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Lewis has opted for football

4256 Hits
02-12-2006, 02:08 PM
From todays Enquirer:

BILLINGS TO VA. TECH: Another two-sport star, Kenny Lewis, has opted for football. Lewis was the Reds' fourth-round pick in the 2003 draft. He left the Reds' organization to play football at Virginia Tech. Lewis might have been the fastest guy in the Reds organization. But the question was whether he'd hit. He hit .211 in 26 games at Dayton last season and .238 in 59 games at Billings

I don't think he would have ever got on base enough to use his speed so its not much of a loss but would rather keep him around verses him leaving. This most likely is the best move for him there is quite a few former minor league baseball players that go play football in college that make the NFL and if that doesn't work out hopefully he gets a degree.

M2
02-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Too bad, Kenny got on base his first season and then went backwards. IMO, he and Jose Ronda are an indictment against the Reds' minor league instructors. Kids with talent like that shouldn't peak in their pass through the GCL.

TeamBoone
02-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Do the Reds get a replacement pick?

I think I already know the answer; doesn't seem to be fair.

Did he get a signing bonus? If yes, he should have to return it.

Aronchis
02-12-2006, 09:06 PM
M2, you reach in strange places. Arms yes, Bats no.

You could have the best "instructers" in all of baseball try and help them and it wouldn't matter. They simply don't have the talent to play the game. It is that simple.

OnBaseMachine
02-12-2006, 09:21 PM

You could have the best "instructers" in all of baseball try and help them and it wouldn't matter. They simply don't have the talent to play the game. It is that simple.

You must be thinking of a different Jose Ronda because the one I remember had a ton of talent. I remember reading one scouts opinion that his left handed stroke reminded him of Roberto Alomar. IIRC, Ronda was the top rated player in Puerto Rico in 2003, or at least top five. He definitely has talent.

Aronchis
02-12-2006, 09:23 PM
You must be thinking of a different Jose Ronda because the one I remember had a ton of talent. I remember reading one scouts opinion that his left handed stroke reminded him of Roberto Alomar. IIRC, Ronda was the top rated player in Puerto Rico in 2003, or at least top five. He definitely has talent.

Not mentally. The mental side of the game decides if the physical side will develope ala Felipe Lopez.

Some guys just never pan out.

M2
02-12-2006, 10:42 PM

That's the kind of excusifying that Krivsky needs to purge from this organization. Lewis walked in able to work a count and run like a deer. He had a solid debut in rookie ball and then he never progressed. If you can't instruct a guy like that, you can't instruct. It's that simple.

Same goes with Ronda. He walked in with a .303/.353/.451 line in rookie ball and went backwards. All I see is talented kids on whom the Reds whiffed. Guaranteed they'd be in A ball and still have a future if an organization like the Braves had picked them.

Bill
02-13-2006, 01:08 AM
The dearth of developed minor league talent in the system the last several years pretty much sums up the abilities of the instructors the Reds' employed. I'm not sure how much O'brien repaired it either.

REDREAD
02-13-2006, 10:42 AM

Well, by walking away, Lewis is never going to get another opportunity to play MLB baseball.

I think the guy gave the sport a legitimate chance ( 2 years) and struggled.
He should be able to walk away. It would be different if he was a first round pick, and doing well, but quit to scam the team out of a couple million. (I think a Devil's Ray prospect tried that and was sued).

flyer85
02-13-2006, 10:54 AM
I wish the kid luck. He thinks he may have a better future on the gridiron, go for it. He certainly doesn't seem to have a promising future on the diamond.

oneupper
02-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Is this kid a QB (a la Vick) a RB or a DB?

OnBaseMachine
02-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Rb

KronoRed
02-13-2006, 11:15 AM
(I think a Devil's Ray prospect tried that and was sued).
Can you blame him? :devil:

OnBaseMachine
02-13-2006, 11:15 AM
#20 ranked running back in the 2003 class. Had offers from Va Tech, Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland, and East Carolina.

http://usc.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=9686

Doc. Scott
02-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Lewis had some injuries that kept him off the field. When a speed guy hurts his leg, it's bad news.

Ronda wasn't injured, I don't think, but he just didn't get the playing time. There were rumblings about his "attitude", but I don't know if they were true or not.

PuffyPig
02-13-2006, 03:22 PM

If every team got a pick for every player who "washed out" it would simply be rewarding failure. Because this is more of a "player who couldn't make it" vs. a player who "chose a different " sport.

TeamBoone
02-13-2006, 04:11 PM
If every team got a pick for every player who "washed out" it would simply be rewarding failure. Because this is more of a "player who couldn't make it" vs. a player who "chose a different " sport.

I'm not talking about a washout; I'm talking about a guy who walked away.

Chip R
02-13-2006, 04:22 PM
There's not really much of a difference. Dozens of guys who get drafted quit after a year or two because they can't cut it or the team lets them know they believe it's time for that player to get on with their life's work. If they gave out compensation for those guys, you'd need a 3rd day for the draft.

PuffyPig
02-13-2006, 05:59 PM

If you awarded a draft pick for players who walked away, teams would have all their non-prospects "walk away". What difference does it make if Lewis goes to college and plays football or goes to the Carwash and plays with the soap. In each case he failed in baseball.