PDA

View Full Version : Reds add Hatteberg

Jim
02-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Just saw this on ESPN.com:

CINCINNATI -- Scott Hatteberg agreed to a one-year, $750,000 contract Sunday with Cincinnati, giving the Reds more flexibility at first base.

Scott Hatteberg
First Base
Cincinnati Reds

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
134 7 59 52 .334 .256

Hatteberg batted .256 with seven homers and 59 RBI last season for Oakland, which declined his contract option for 2006. The Athletics decided to stick with Dan Johnson at first base.

Hatteberg can make an additional $250,000 in performance bonuses, based upon plate appearances.

The Reds traded first baseman Sean Casey to Pittsburgh for left-handed starter Dave Williams in the offseason. They plan to move left fielder Adam Dunn to first base, opening the way for outfielders Austin Kearns and Wily Mo Pena to play alongside center fielder Ken Griffey Jr.

Wayne Krivsky was interested in Hatteberg even before he was hired as the Reds' general manager last Wednesday.

"We wanted to add to our depth," Krivsky said by phone. "This guy's a true professional, somebody I've had my eye on in the offseason here in the event I did get this job. The playing time will take care of itself."

alex trevino
02-12-2006, 03:43 PM
good pick up...Billy Beane will be proud.

Falls City Beer
02-12-2006, 03:45 PM
good pick up...Billy Beane will be proud.

My guess is that Billy Beane would be bored.

traderumor
02-12-2006, 03:47 PM
My guess is that Billy Beane would be bored.

So, as REDREAD is to John Allen, FCB is to Wayne Krivsky? :evil:

Falls City Beer
02-12-2006, 03:51 PM
So, as REDREAD is to John Allen, FCB is to Wayne Krivsky? :evil:

Nah, I just get that way when a move MAKES NO SENSE.

mound_patrol
02-12-2006, 03:54 PM
how does this move not make sense. This makes the bench a lot stronger. I'm totally behind this move.

Falls City Beer
02-12-2006, 03:58 PM
how does this move not make sense. This makes the bench a lot stronger. I'm totally behind this move.

I'm borrowing the research of RedsNd2:

"Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to get excited over signing a guy who was worth -3.6 above replacement level last season."

That says it all. But I'll add some more: no pop, no speed, lame defense, inability to field multiple positions (except maybe left field). Totally pointless. My guess is that he was added for the nice guy factor, but that kind of crap is for people with pudding for brains.

max venable
02-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Nah, I just get that way when a move MAKES NO SENSE.
I agree. The move does nothing for me. But, I'm willing to give Krivsky the benefit of the doubt. We'll see how it turns out.

mound_patrol
02-12-2006, 04:13 PM
I'd rather see Hatteberg over Cruz. And we have someone to back up Dunn who is actually a firstbaseman.

LawFive
02-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Is this the same Hatteburg that occasionally caught for the Red Sox?

westofyou
02-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Is this the same Hatteburg that occasionally caught for the Red Sox?
Yes, the same one who had a chapter named after him in Moneyball, "Scott Hattenberg Picking Machine"

KoryMac5
02-12-2006, 04:33 PM
I don't mind the move either gives us some added flexibility coming off the bench. Plus allows us to give Dunn a day off or keep him loose in the outfield. I like the fact that Wayne has hit the ground running.

TeamBoone
02-12-2006, 04:56 PM
02/12/2006 4:30 PM ET
Reds agree to terms with Hatteberg
Veteran first baseman spent last four years in Oakland
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

Scott Hatteberg hit .256 with seven home runs and 59 RBIs last season with the A's. (Chris Gardner/AP)

CINCINNATI -- Since taking over in his new job as Reds general manager on Feb. 8, Wayne Krivsky has been making the most of the very little time he's had to prepare for Spring Training.

Krivsky's latest move was adding veteran first baseman Scott Hatteberg, who agreed to terms with Cincinnati on a one-year contract on Sunday. The deal will pay Hatteberg a guaranteed $750,000 with an additonal $250,000 possible in incentives bases on plate appearances.

Hatteberg, an 11-year Major League veteran, batted .256 with seven home runs and 59 RBIs in 134 games last season with the Athletics. A lifetime .268 hitter, the 36-year-old spent the last four years in Oakland, and was with Boston from 1995 to 2001.

Owner of a career .356 on-base percentage, Hatteberg has solid gap-to-gap pop and is a discplined hitter who's tough to strike out. He has more walks (432) than strikeouts (420) over his career. He is also considered defensively average but has suspect arm strength.

"He's certainly a professional hitter that takes good at-bats," said Krivsky. "He's been on a lot of winning teams. We have good reports on him."

Hatteberg, who will back up Adam Dunn at first base, is the third player the Reds have acquired since Krivsky took over. Veteran outfielder Timo Perez was signed to a Minor League deal on Thursday, and pitcher Michael Gosling was claimed off waivers from the Diamondbacks on Friday.

A corresponding move that will allow room for Hatteberg on the Reds' 40-man roster will be announced on Monday.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060212&content_id=1310281&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin