PDA

View Full Version : Krivsky, was hiring him the best option?

Jpup
02-13-2006, 07:40 AM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060213/SPT04/602130377/1071

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky didn't take Sunday off. Before traveling home to Arlington, Texas, Krivsky added a veteran player to the roster, hired two front-office workers and shifted the jobs of two of the Reds' top employees.

The five-transaction Sunday went as follows:

• Signed first baseman Scott Hatteberg to a one-year, $750,000 contract. Krivsky sees Hatteberg as an extra player but his exact role will be up to manager Jerry Narron.
ADVERTISEMENT

• Hired Bob Miller as director of baseball administration.

• Hired Scott Nethery as special assistant to GM/player personnel.

• Moved Tim Naehring from director of player development to minor-league field coordinator.

• Expanded Johnny Almaraz's role as director of player development/international operations.

Hatteberg, 36, hit .256 with nine home runs and 56 RBI for the Oakland A's last year, his 11th in the majors.

"He lengthens our roster," Krivsky said.

"He's a real pro. He gives you defense. He takes good at-bats. He doesn't strike out a lot."

Hatteberg is a left-handed hitter and he plays first base. That does not mean Hatteberg will play first with Adam Dunn going back to the outfield - unless there's an injury.

"He's a real professional," Narron said. "He gives us insurance if something would happen to Adam Dunn or one of the outfielders."

Hatteberg came up as a catcher. He caught 72 games in 2001. There's a possibility that the Reds will use him as a third/emergency catcher.

"I talked to him last night," Narron said. "He's excited. Here it is February and he didn't have a job. That's surprising. He's a veteran guy who can help you win."

Hatteberg's acquisition also makes it easier to trade an outfielder - Wily Mo Peña or Austin Kearns. In that case, Dunn could go back to playing left field.

Among other things, Miller will help Almaraz in his expanded role. Miller has been in Baseball 24 years - the last seven with Arizona. He was recently an assistant GM.

"Bob's a versatile guy," Krivsky said. "He's worked in all facets - draft, player development, the last couple of years he's been Arizona's farm director. He's a talented guy. He can help Johnny with taking over as a department head."

Nethery spent last year as a special assistant to New York Mets GM Omar Minaya. The previous 13 years Nethery worked for the Atlanta Braves.

"Scott's a talent evaluator," Krivsky said. "He wants to branch out and become a GM someday."

Krivsky said there's a possibility that he'll hire more people, but the key is getting permission from their clubs to talk to them with spring training set to open.

Krivsky said he made the move with Almaraz and Naehring to take advantage of their talents.

"This in no way should be viewed as a demotion for Tim," Krivsky said. "I like my farm director to have a strong background in scouting. That's not a knock on Tim."

Naehring, a former teammate of Hatteberg, was fine with the move.

"This gets me back on the field," Naehring said. "That's what I like to do. I don't want to be a GM. I'm happy with it."

Krivsky plans to go to Sarasota on Wednesday. He hopes to get Dunn's contract resolved before the arbitration hearing Friday.

"We talked a couple of times this weekend," Krivsky said. "We're not at an impasse. We're still talking."

:lastyear:

Jpup
02-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Krivsky, out of the list of guys interviewed, sounded like the best option to me, but I think I am starting to question my initial thoughts about him. No wonder he likes Jerry Narron.

I am willing to give him some rope, but he's not off to a good start.

Mike Gosling, Scott Hatteberg, and Timo Perez aren't exactly what I would call good players. Hatteberg could be servicable, but Perez and Gosling are bad. I ultimately think these moves won't even matter much as the season goes on, but Krivsky isn't making a good first impression on this Reds fan.

Better than DanO, but color me unimpressed thus far.:( I hope I'm making a big deal out of nothing.

RANDY IN INDY
02-13-2006, 07:58 AM
I think you are.

Jpup
02-13-2006, 08:03 AM
I think you are.

After thinking about it, I changed the thread title. A little less harsh. ;)

I think there were some other options that the Reds brass could have explored if it weren't in such a hurry. Krivsky may end up a great GM for years to come, but I am just thinking "what if?" What if the Reds went another direction such as DePodesta? I am still a little miffed at them not interviewing him.

RANDY IN INDY
02-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Maybe he wasn't interested.

traderumor
02-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Krivsky, out of the list of guys interviewed, sounded like the best option to me, but I think I am starting to question my initial thoughts about him. No wonder he likes Jerry Narron.

I am willing to give him some rope, but he's not off to a good start.

Mike Gosling, Scott Hatteberg, and Timo Perez aren't exactly what I would call good players. Hatteberg could be servicable, but Perez and Gosling are bad. I ultimately think these moves won't even matter much as the season goes on, but Krivsky isn't making a good first impression on this Reds fan.

Better than DanO, but color me unimpressed thus far.:( I hope I'm making a big deal out of nothing.

I would say you have unrealistic expectations if you are evaluating anyone job's performance after less than a week on the job. If you don't think he was a good choice upon his hire, that's one thing, but evaluating based on a few moves for roster filler?

Jpup
02-13-2006, 08:45 AM
I would say you have unrealistic expectations if you are evaluating anyone job's performance after less than a week on the job. If you don't think he was a good choice upon his hire, that's one thing, but evaluating based on a few moves for roster filler?

more the comments than anything. He sounds like DanO and Narron to me. "He doesn't strike out a lot." "He's a real pro." "We won't stop until we are contenders."

flyer85
02-13-2006, 09:44 AM
I have no idea.

Heath
02-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Jpup - as much as I like your posts - I must disagree with you on this one. Judging by what's left in the FA pool - for him to be judged by his early moves is preposterous. (And I can't even spell)

At least Krvisky didn't name everyone in his press conference and for him to "blow away" according to RCast (and in the process, not hire a Cardinal cronie) in his interview speaks volumes for me.

If we are in the same position in two-three years then we will talk about his head.

Jpup
02-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Jpup - as much as I like your posts - I must disagree with you on this one. Judging by what's left in the FA pool - for him to be judged by his early moves is preposterous. (And I can't even spell)

At least Krvisky didn't name everyone in his press conference and for him to "blow away" according to RCast (and in the process, not hire a Cardinal cronie) in his interview speaks volumes for me.

If we are in the same position in two-three years then we will talk about his head.

I am more worried about his comments than anything. The players don't really bother me that much.

I want to make clear that I am not totally against the guy, I am just getting worried about some of the comments. Sorry guys, I don't mean to jump the gun. :sleep: Maybe I just need a nap.

traderumor
02-13-2006, 10:09 AM
I am more worried about his comments than anything. The players don't really bother me that much.

I want to make clear that I am not totally against the guy, I am just getting worried about some of the comments. Sorry guys, I don't mean to jump the gun. :sleep: Maybe I just need a nap.Those are baseball speak comments used by many folks in the game to describe vets, and there is some truth to it. O'Brien was rightly villified for using them because he truly believed that such a thing would make a huge difference.

MikeS21
02-13-2006, 10:42 AM

I want to make clear that I am not totally against the guy, I am just getting worried about some of the comments. Sorry guys, I don't mean to jump the gun. :sleep: Maybe I just need a nap.
I'm not sure what you think he should have said.

"We don't think he is all that good, but he was the best one on the junk pile."

Every GM smoozes the press with flowery words about their lastest sign. I would not read anything into his comments. The fact is, Hatteberg might come in handy if Dunn, Junior, Kearns, or Pena goes down with an extended injury.

redsfan30
02-13-2006, 10:49 AM
The difference between O'Brien making this signing and Krivski making this signing is simple:

Dan O'Brien would have viewed Hatteberg as an important piece who would battle for a starting spot.

Wayne Krivski believes Hatteberg is a bench filler.

Jpup
02-13-2006, 10:51 AM
The difference between O'Brien making this signing and Krivski making this signing is simple:

Dan O'Brien would have viewed Hatteberg as an important piece who would battle for a starting spot.

Wayne Krivski believes Hatteberg is a bench filler.

we'll see and I hope you are right.

KronoRed
02-13-2006, 12:26 PM
He was better then Beattie.

Yeah..that's not much to go on.

Jr's Boy
02-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Just to know that Krivsky is wheeling and dealing right off the bat shows me that he is serious about his job and this team.And I cannot cast assertions on his job thus far with a few minor signings.

Mario-Rijo
02-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Just to know that Krivsky is wheeling and dealing right off the bat shows me that he is serious about his job and this team.And I cannot cast assertions on his job thus far with a few minor signings.

I agree, it was apparent DanO was done filling the roster. I understand it's a different approach w/ defense in mind and DanO probably felt we were set defensively. So I applaud the moves because Krivsky understands the real problems here, he can do very little about the pitching right now so he's tinkering a bit with the defense to help the pitching late in games. My thoughts are that we should expect to see a wee bit of improvement late in games in pitching. Perez (if he makes the roster) and Hatteberg could both help in that area, as could Richard Hidalgo if we could snatch him up. And all we would lose in the immediate future would be Jacob Cruz who although a solid PH isn't really good for much else. Denorfia could go to triple-a and play everyday until we need him. If we don't sign Hidalgo then we don't even lose Cruz unless Denorfia is killing the ball (especially off of LH's)!

paulrichjr
02-13-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure what you think he should have said.

"We don't think he is all that good, but he was the best one on the junk pile."

Every GM smoozes the press with flowery words about their lastest sign. I would not read anything into his comments. The fact is, Hatteberg might come in handy if Dunn, Junior, Kearns, or Pena goes down with an extended injury.

Exactly...

I was thinking what do you want him to say? He is a loser and doesn't know how to win. And the strikeout thing on this board is getting ridiculous. I understand both arguments but to say that strikeouts are a good thing is beyond me which is what some people seem to want their new GM to say. Of course it would be better if he said, "He gets on base a lot..." and left it at that. I just don't understand why people are going nuts over some of these comments. Strikeouts along with groundouts and popups are outs which in my book is a bad thing no matter how you slice it. The less you do of those 3 things the better you are going to be in my opinion.

Give the guy at least one full year along with a draft to judge him. Thankfully we only gave him 2 years to prove himself instead of DanO's three year deal. Personally, I wanted someone from the Indians, Braves or Cardinals to be the pick but I sure like this pick over Beattie.

REDREAD
02-13-2006, 03:34 PM

Remember, part of the Gm's job is to help market the team. That includes spinning moves like the Hatterburg signing to get people excited.

Obviously, he isn't going to say.. "Well the guy is old, but it gives us a better option for a bat off the bench than Womack". Every GM uses some cliches like "He knows how to win". Nothing wrong with that.

I think it was a good move to sign Hatterberg. Obviously, it's not earth shattering, but it makes the team a little better next year. It's been frustrating the last couple years when the Reds were forced to use guys like Machado, Olmedo, etc as pinch hitteres.

Doc. Scott
02-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Geez, critics, calm it down. Once actual baseball starts we'll see how it plays out and then, depending on the results, we'll sing hosannas or start fulminating something fierce.

Matt700wlw
02-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Had MLB gotten this ownership change through in November, like they should have, Krivsky wouldn't be stuck with the scrap heap of Free Agency to work with.

Little moves can sometimes lead to a bigger, high-impact move. I'm going to give this guy a chance, he actually seems to be competent in baseball, which is something I question in the man he replaced.

Chip R
02-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Had MLB gotten this ownership change through in November, like they should have, Krivsky wouldn't be stuck with the scrap heap of Free Agency to work with.
Why do you think they delayed it? Can't say as I blame them.

Nugget
02-13-2006, 07:26 PM
I don't know what all the fuss is about with the REDS having veterans on a transitioning team. Yes there is some talent in some positions but there is always a chance that if you push them through too early you can actually stunt their growth. Too much being on a losing team, etc - they may be better off being in AAA and getting good at bats and a good feeling rather than struggling on a struggling team.

Jpup
02-14-2006, 02:02 AM
I'm not as worried now that Dunn has been signed, hopefully you all are right and it's just "talk." That's a great move on Krivsky and Reds' part. I also think it proves that Adam wants to be a Red for a long time.

fourrunhomer
02-14-2006, 11:02 AM
I thought from the beginning that Krivsky was the right man. I believe that he will continue to prove himself and having owners who seem to be competent and have winning as a priorty will only make things better. I think the pickups he's made the past few days are not only bench filler but setting the stage for a bigger move coming shortly. On one of the polls, I voted that I thought it would be three years for the Reds to be back on track, but I'm starting to believe that it will start this year. I don't have high hopes of a playoff berth but I think it will be a respectable year. Next year may be the year.