PDA

View Full Version : I need some serios geek help

TRF
02-13-2006, 01:06 PM
I am writing an app in php to allow inline editing via AJAX. I have 14 textarea that require a wysiwyg editor. without the editor, i get the values of the textareas to pass without a problem. With the editor, no good.

Anyone have any experience in this area?

westofyou
02-13-2006, 01:15 PM
I am writing an app in php to allow inline editing via AJAX. I have 14 textarea that require a wysiwyg editor. without the editor, i get the values of the textareas to pass without a problem. With the editor, no good.

Anyone have any experience in this area?

I have Dreamweaver, maybe I can help ya.

TRF
02-13-2006, 02:32 PM
ok, try this.

I have a page that displays a single record from a database.

I also have a page for editing that record, but as i said it has 14 textareas, which means i load 14 wysiwyg editors. I'm using FCKeditor.

What i want is to be able to edit on the display page in a similar fashion as vBulletin does when you edit your post. That's the AJAX part

I can do one or the other it seems. I can do the inline edit, but without the wysiwyg editor or i can do the standard edit minus the uber fast inline method.

i need both.

westofyou
02-13-2006, 02:54 PM
ok, try this.

I have a page that displays a single record from a database.

I also have a page for editing that record, but as i said it has 14 textareas, which means i load 14 wysiwyg editors. I'm using FCKeditor.

What i want is to be able to edit on the display page in a similar fashion as vBulletin does when you edit your post. That's the AJAX part

I can do one or the other it seems. I can do the inline edit, but without the wysiwyg editor or i can do the standard edit minus the uber fast inline method.

i need both.

I'm not sure I follow how I can help you here...

TRF
02-13-2006, 03:40 PM
oh well...

Any other Web Developers out there?

guttle11
02-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Perhaps you would like some serious spelling help?:p:

M2
02-13-2006, 05:16 PM
I can't help you with the specific problem, but maybe this tool will work better for you (free provided this is for public use):

http://www.tibco.com/software/business_optimization/gi_resource_center.jsp

Ruby on Rails might be of some help too:

http://www.rubyonrails.org/

IslandRed
02-13-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm reasonably versed in PHP, although my knowledge of AJAX is mostly of the heard-about-it variety. I'll PM you my e-mail, if you want to send me the script. No guarantees but I'll take a look.

TRF
02-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Perhaps you would like some serious spelling help?:p:

like you have never fat-fingered anything. beware my wrath! :laugh:

TRF
02-14-2006, 09:22 AM
I can't help you with the specific problem, but maybe this tool will work better for you (free provided this is for public use):

http://www.tibco.com/software/business_optimization/gi_resource_center.jsp

Ruby on Rails might be of some help too:

http://www.rubyonrails.org/

I've been looking at Ruby on Rails for about two weeks now, and it likely could be what i need. I've heard of tibco, but haven't looked at it too close.

M2
02-14-2006, 09:51 AM
I've been looking at Ruby on Rails for about two weeks now, and it likely could be what i need. I've heard of tibco, but haven't looked at it too close.

It literally just went up on a free public license yesterday. Before that it required a commerical license. If you're doing any Java server side development that needs to get tied to an Ajax front end you might want to check out ClearNova. It might be good for PHP too. IIRC, ClearNova also runs regular Ajax tutorials.

There's also a book called "Ajax in Action" from a guy named Eric Pascarello (Manning Press) which might be of help. My news site is about to run a second chapter from it and it's gotten good response from our readers.

And here's an Ajax Learning Guide if you're interested:

http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/general/0,295582,sid26_gci1150185,00.html

TRF
02-14-2006, 09:54 AM
There's also a book called "Ajax in Action" from a guy named Eric Pascarello (Manning Press) which might be of help. My news site is about to run a second chapter from it and it's gotten good response from our readers.

I've had this book for about 3 weeks. it's great. I'm checking Tibco out now. I had an account already with them, but they weren't offering any free licensing. So this might do it. Thanks!

guttle11
02-14-2006, 11:36 AM
like you have never fat-fingered anything. beware my wrath! :laugh:

Oh, I fat-finger words all the time. I kid because I'm one of you.:beerme:

TRF
02-14-2006, 04:36 PM
I'm reasonably versed in PHP, although my knowledge of AJAX is mostly of the heard-about-it variety. I'll PM you my e-mail, if you want to send me the script. No guarantees but I'll take a look.

Have you had a chance to look over the code i sent? Sorry if it was a little lengthy.

IslandRed
02-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Have you had a chance to look over the code i sent? Sorry if it was a little lengthy.

Yep. I can get the FCKeditor to load inline easily enough, but like you, I'm stuck trying to get the changed content out of it without doing a full POST. I'll keep looking, this is a trick I'd like to incorporate in an Intranet project.

If nothing else, you can probably get away with loading the WYSIWYG editor inline, but just do a regular postback instead of an AJAX call. I think that's what vBulletin does here.

TRF
02-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Nope. I stole a peek at vBulletin's code, And it is using XMLHTTPRequest and innerHTML to post. It's why when editing your post it's so fast. That speed is what I want.

I'm looking at the dojotoolkit. I think it might work for me. I considered Tibco and RoR, but porting to Ruby isn't an option, and I see no wysiwyg support from Tibco. dojo has that support and AJAX support as well. but I can't seem to get it to cooperate with content from a database just yet.

IslandRed
02-15-2006, 07:37 PM
That dojotoolkit looks good, but it's $*@! huge. I'll check it out, though... most of my web stuff has been PHP/MySQL data-driven, but I need to brush up on the latest in Javascripting and XML, AJAX being but one topic therein.

TRF
02-15-2006, 10:37 PM
yeah, it's a beast, but you only call the functions you need, and only include the extra .js files you need. I'm starting to like it.