PDA

View Full Version : Fans Line up

beb30
02-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Well i was walking to work and noticed that there are 7 or 8 tents already at great american, completely insane. People started last year on wednesday, our team is no better this year than it was last year and now they are starting 2 days earlier, i cant explain it......

redsfan30
02-13-2006, 01:11 PM
i cant explain it......
Very simple....people love thier Cincinnati Reds, win or lose.

beb30
02-13-2006, 01:12 PM
no its not that......its simply greed

redsfan30
02-13-2006, 01:15 PM
How do you figure?

Chip R
02-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Not necessarily. Sure, some people are going to sell them at a huge markup but others just want to have the status of being there for Opening Day. And still others want to actually see a baseball game.

minus5
02-13-2006, 01:22 PM
It has little to do with the team. Most of the people that go to Opening Day go because it is the "thing to do", they get to impress their friends and act like baseball fans for a day. The tradition of the day is more important to them than what transpires on the field. Three quarters will complain about Casey being gone "cause we really need him" and half will ask who's pitching around the 4th inning. I'm not saying this is the likely case for the campers, just saying in general. Me, I'll have my butt parked on a barstool somewhere watching. The beers are cheaper and I won't have to dip into the kids college funds to get a ticket from a scalper.

But Hey, Hope Springs Eternal, right? At least until June :bang:

beb30
02-13-2006, 01:22 PM
How do you figure?

One guy has been there since thursday of last week apparently. There is no need to camp out that early, there should be a restriction on it. People shouldn't be aloud to go down there unless its within a couple days, now im going to be forced to go down earlier than i wanted to.......

beb30
02-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Not necessarily. Sure, some people are going to sell them at a huge markup but others just want to have the status of being there for Opening Day. And still others want to actually see a baseball game.

To sit out in the cold, snow, and rain for tickets this early is ignorant, unfortuanely like i said in the above post ill be forced to join....

redsfan30
02-13-2006, 01:29 PM
I would be shocked if the people who are camping out there already are in it for the money. For them to brave the weather for one whole week before they go on sale says to me that they are hardcore Reds fans who just want a chance to be at Opening Day.

now im going to be forced to go down earlier than i wanted to.......

How is that thier problem? It seems that you're just upset about this whole thing because now you'll have to get there earlier. If I lived in the Cincinnati area I'd be doing the same thing, and I can promise you I wouldn't be doing it out of greed. I'd be doing it because I love my Reds.

beb30
02-13-2006, 01:36 PM
I would be shocked if the people who are camping out there already are in it for the money. For them to brave the weather for one whole week before they go on sale says to me that they are hardcore Reds fans who just want a chance to be at Opening Day.

How is that thier problem? It seems that you're just upset about this whole thing because now you'll have to get there earlier. If I lived in the Cincinnati area I'd be doing the same thing, and I can promise you I wouldn't be doing it out of greed. I'd be doing it because I love my Reds.

I guess its just personal opinion as to why they are doing it.......agree to disagree

redsfan30
02-13-2006, 01:44 PM
I guess its just personal opinion as to why they are doing it.......agree to disagree
I guess what I'm saying is that the people who are interested in profiting on Opening Day tickets have other ways of buying and re-selling tickets rather than camping out for over a week.

You're exactly right, it is insanity that there are people out there right now in this weather camping...but I think it's a good thing. But most of those people out there right now are truely in it for the love of thier team and should be applauded for it, not ridiculed. Sure, there are probably people in line right now that just want to sell them, and that's wrong...but most of them want to attend the game.

Putting a limit on how early people can camp out in front of the ticket window wouldn't work, in my opinion. If the Reds say you can't be on the Great American Ball Park premesis before a certain day, then people would just pitch thier tents right there on the sidewalks outside the stadium.

Chip R
02-13-2006, 01:45 PM
One guy has been there since thursday of last week apparently. There is no need to camp out that early, there should be a restriction on it. People shouldn't be aloud to go down there unless its within a couple days, now im going to be forced to go down earlier than i wanted to.......

There is no need for it but this guy will get a lot of publicity for being the "first in line". That's probably the real reason for going down that early. Me, I'm hoping I get them through the Rosie Reds. I've got tickets through them the past 3 years. That way I don't have to go down and camp out or go on line for them or rely on scalpers.

scounts22
02-13-2006, 02:15 PM
I would LOVE to get tickets for opening day. I've never been, but have tried several times to get tickets. I live in central Ohio and can't take off a week of work to camp out for tickets and I've tried both online and over the phone. Is there another way a gal can possibly acquire some tickets (besides the new ways the Reds announced) for this blessed event that won't cost her an arm and a leg?

By the way, I want to go for the following reasons:
1. I LOVE THE REDS.
2. I LOVE BASEBALL.
3. I LOVE THE REDS.
4. for the experience
5. I LOVE THE REDS.

:D

djsauter
02-13-2006, 04:13 PM
I think a good deal of the reason for these guys to wait outside is yes, the experience, but also for the media attention they will get.

Oh well, it's a fun thing to see.

redsfan30
02-13-2006, 04:17 PM
I would LOVE to get tickets for opening day. I've never been, but have tried several times to get tickets. I live in central Ohio and can't take off a week of work to camp out for tickets and I've tried both online and over the phone. Is there another way a gal can possibly acquire some tickets (besides the new ways the Reds announced) for this blessed event that won't cost her an arm and a leg?

By the way, I want to go for the following reasons:
1. I LOVE THE REDS.
2. I LOVE BASEBALL.
3. I LOVE THE REDS.
4. for the experience
5. I LOVE THE REDS.

:D
Your best chance at getting Opening Day tickets at face value is getting online at 9:00 AM Saturday morning. If you miss out on those, you can still get them but you will be forced to pay. Riverfront Tickets has them for anywhere from $75 for staning room only to $600 for Diamond Seats. Ebay and scalpers are options too.

Good luck!

scounts22
02-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks for your help redsfan30, I'll keep trying online!

redsfan30
02-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Thanks for your help redsfan30, I'll keep trying online!
No problem! Sorry for the poor grammar in my original post...it was horrible.

If you do go the online route, make sure you get on smack dab at 9:00. Opening Day sells out in under 15 minutes and you're battling phone orders and people buying them at outlets. So be quick!

Chip R
02-13-2006, 04:49 PM
If you do go the online route, make sure you get on smack dab at 9:00. Opening Day sells out in under 15 minutes and you're battling phone orders and people buying them at outlets. So be quick!
And there will be less seats available this year since they had the lottery and the Power Pack sales. I would guess OD will be sold out in 5-7 minutes.

beb30
02-13-2006, 04:51 PM
i would like to know how many powerpacks were available, there were only 100 tickets for the lottery available which really isnt that many

creek14
02-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Very simple....people love thier Cincinnati Reds, win or lose.
Not in Aug and Sep when they are 20+ games out. Then you can get scalped tickets for below face.

TeamCasey
02-13-2006, 06:31 PM
John Allen just served them all pizza.

Yeah, yeah, yeah ...... I'll concede a brownie point for him.

KronoRed
02-13-2006, 06:32 PM
What kind?

It's important ;)

macro
02-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Things have certainly changed. During the winter leading up to the 1986 Opening Day, I mailed in an order form for tickets and got top row red, right behind home plate. At least I think it was 1986. Floyd Yoemans started for Montreal and the Reds blew them out something like 10-1. Had to park and walk about two miles across town in very cold weather. That was my first, last, and only Opening Day.

KittyDuran
02-13-2006, 10:54 PM
My first opening day was in 2000 and I decided to go down to the stadium. Of course, there's about 500 people on the plaza in line. Leave DT and go to Frisch's for breakfast. Then around noontime, go into the Thriftway on Kemper and ask the guy at the service desk for a ticket (which he thought I said "tickets" as in plural) - no, just one ticket - he looked and found one ticket in the green in center field. As I was driving home heard on the radio that at 12:20pm that Opening Day was sold out.

FrenchD1
02-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Ok here's my take on the whole thing:
I was first in line with a friend of mine in 2004. But we got there at around midnight Thursday night/Friday morning...not a week in advance. We were first by about 4 hours that year. I think they really need to set a limit. Possibly 48 hours camping out maximum. Last year Nick got there on Tuesday. I had plans to go down Friday but when he got there that early everybody else felt like they had to get there even earlier so I got there at about 9am Thursday morning...I was there for 48 full hours and was like 12th in line.

Here's why I choose to camp out as opposed to the other methods of getting tickets:
1. It's an experience. You usually have some good baseball discussion with other die hard Reds fans at a time when you need it...February.
2. It's pretty much a guarantee. As long as you're there for any considerable length of time, you're getting tickets.

I'm not gonna lie, I usually end up selling at least 2 tickets and I make some money. But on the other hand I go to the game too. I think most people who camp out do the same thing. Making a little money helps make the camping out experience a little better. Last year I got my ticket paid for and made around $100 profit.

Somebody mentioned people who camp out just to scalp tickets...you can spot them. They're usually completely unprepared for camping out. No extra clothes, no sleeping bag, no tent. They also don't get there very early...usually they roll in on Friday night late.

Also, some people say that people might be camping out because of media coverage. Well, the media coverage is cool at first, but after a while it gets flat out annoying. They'll wake you up and everything and shove a microphone in your face. Every few hours a news van rolls in and you just want to be like "leave me alone."

I'm sure there's more I could say about camping out, but I can't think of it right now. This post was really more of me ranting than anything else. I'm really not happy that these people got there on friday. That's only going to make others get there even earlier, which is going to put me further back in line. I'll be getting there thursday evening. I really would like the reds to lay out some ground rules for camping out. I was thinking about making up some and printing them up in a brochure and handing them out in the line this year. I don't know...what can you do?

dougdirt
02-14-2006, 12:32 AM
i would like to know how many powerpacks were available, there were only 100 tickets for the lottery available which really isnt that many

Well, there were seats available in these sections that I saw from the powerpack sales(remember they messed up with the time they posted it on their site, so they released additional seating to keep from the bad PR).
401-406
408-419
535-at least 515, but I would assume it went to at least 511
101-106

That is quite a bit of seats that were sold from these powerpacks. Expect a sellout very fast.

Caseyfan21
02-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Every year I've wanted tickets, I've gotten tickets. My strategy is pretty easy. I used it to get tickets to the last Opening Day at Cinergy and the first at GABP as well as several hard to get concerts.

My friend and I both went to a ticket outlet for the lottery. The last year at Cinergy my friend won the lottery and was first in line so that took care of that. The second year we were pretty far back in the lottery line despite having about 10 tickets (asked random people to go get tickets for us). While in line we both had 2 cell phones. We each used one to call in to the main Reds ticket line. The other we kept for our parents to contact us (my mom was home on high speed internet trying to get in and his was online as well) should they get tickets. The real way to maximize your chances is to try and get as many ways as possible. I'd suggest 2 phones and a computer minimum. I'd suggest recruiting available family members, whether kids if you are older or parents and siblings if you are younger.

Any way you try to get them, the best you will probably get is upper deck. My dad and I got a single up 20 rows behind first for OD at GABP but the year we were first in line we only got lower red seats behind home plate.

Caseyfan21
02-14-2006, 12:56 AM
I'm sure there's more I could say about camping out, but I can't think of it right now. This post was really more of me ranting than anything else. I'm really not happy that these people got there on friday. That's only going to make others get there even earlier, which is going to put me further back in line. I'll be getting there thursday evening. I really would like the reds to lay out some ground rules for camping out. I was thinking about making up some and printing them up in a brochure and handing them out in the line this year. I don't know...what can you do?

The only way they could do this would be to have a lottery like tickets.com outlets do. It is the single one thing that peeves me most is the stupidity and non-organization I have witnessed so many years at the tickets.com outlets on Opening Day.

The Reds won't do that for at least this year but maybe next year they should consider it - it would annoy those willing to give up a week of their lives but it would appeal more to the overall masses.

dougdirt
02-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Lottery is the worst thing ever. I really believe it should be first come, first serve. Really why should someone who walks up into line 5 minutes fore they start get the first chance to buy tickets over a guy who has been waiting a week, who then in turn doesnt get a chance to buy tickets at all becuase of the "luck of the lottery". It has happened to my brother and I with another event that ran the lottery system. We were third in line, but 78th in the lottery. By the time we got to the ticket booth, all they had left were nosebleed seats at the arena.

macro
02-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Lottery is the worst thing ever. I really believe it should be first come, first serve. Really why should someone who walks up into line 5 minutes fore they start get the first chance to buy tickets over a guy who has been waiting a week, who then in turn doesnt get a chance to buy tickets at all becuase of the "luck of the lottery". It has happened to my brother and I with another event that ran the lottery system. We were third in line, but 78th in the lottery. By the time we got to the ticket booth, all they had left were nosebleed seats at the arena.

If it is announced that a lottery will be used, then why on earth would anyone get there days or even hours in advance?

dougdirt
02-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Well in my case, we showed up slightly after 8pm the night before tickets went on sale at 9 the next morning. At 8AM they came out and said they were doing a lottery.

flyer85
02-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Things have certainly changed. During the winter leading up to the 1986 Opening Day, I mailed in an order form for tickets and got top row red, right behind home plate. At least I think it was 1986. Floyd Yoemans started for Montreal and the Reds blew them out something like 10-1. Had to park and walk about two miles across town in very cold weather. That was my first, last, and only Opening Day.I remember that opening day. It was COLD!! IIRC, Davis hit a HR but I definitely remember the snow flurries.

beb30
02-14-2006, 12:57 PM
If you try to buy tickets at the westin is it a lottery or first come first serve?

dougdirt
02-14-2006, 01:25 PM
beb30, best bet would be to just give them a call over at the Westin, I am sure someone over there can get you an answer pretty fast. Goodluck!

macro
02-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Well in my case, we showed up slightly after 8pm the night before tickets went on sale at 9 the next morning. At 8AM they came out and said they were doing a lottery.

If that was the first time that it was made known that there would be a lottery, then that was really bad policy. Even if it were published somewhere, they should've posted a sign or something making it known before people sat all night.

dougdirt
02-14-2006, 01:43 PM
I agree Macro, it was pretty horrible. I still dont like the idea of a lottery system though. It never made sense to me that if someone shows up first, that someone who showed up after them should be served first.

joeberk
02-15-2006, 08:15 AM

On the flip side, I've tried that since 2002 and struck out every year.

Every year goes like this:

8:45am - head to website.
8:46-9:00 - keep hitting reload.
9:00-9:29 - deal with a website that's completely overloaded, failing to get in.
9:30 - realize that, again, that I've missed opening day tickets.

:laugh: