PDA

View Full Version : Lawhorn twins reunited in Sarasota

Gallen5862
02-13-2006, 03:18 PM
http://www.starnewsonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060213/NEWS/60212028/1005/sports
Article published Feb 13, 2006
Lawhorn twins reunited in Sarasota

The Lawhorn twins – Darryl and Trevor – report together March 1 for spring training with the Cincinnati Reds.
The reunion of the former New Hanover High School standouts was made possible when injury-riddled Darryl signed a free agent contract last month following a private workout in Sarasota, Fla. – the Reds’ spring training site.
“It’s pretty weird,’’ he said of joining the same organization as Trevor, the Reds’ ninth round pick out of East Carolina in 2004.
Darryl, also selected in 2004 by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 11th round from ECU, is yet to make his professional debut because of a twice surgically repaired broken right foot.
He originally injured the foot on a foul tip during a three-game series April 30 – May 2, 2004 against the University of Houston, but played through the pain until he fractured another bone while running out a ball June 5 in an NCAA Regional game.
After receiving medical clearance last January, Lawhorn and the Diamondbacks agreed to terms and he reported to Tucson for spring training, but re-broke bones in the same foot and Arizona released him.
This time, he sought Carolina Panthers’ team physician Robert Anderson, who performed surgery last May.
He medically cleared Lawhorn in early January.
“The first surgery, the way it was done, he said the screw was too big in my foot,’’ Lawhorn said. “So when I was running, it snapped the top of the bone. He had to go in there and take the screw out, shave the bone down and take bone out of my hip, put it in my foot and put two new screws in there.’’
East Carolina covered the medical expenses, Lawhorn said, because it was a pre-existing injury from college.
On Jan. 16, Lawhorn worked out for the Cleveland Indians at Brooks Field.
Hours later, he drove to Sarasota for a workout with the Reds.
The Indians wanted Lawhorn in camp for a second workout and asked him to sign an injury waiver.
He instead signed with Cincinnati as a second baseman – the same position as Trevor. They won’t compete for the same job or be assigned to the same squad. Trevor, a .252 hitter over 520 pro at bats, is expected to play for high Class A Sarasota, while Darryl, who batted .416, .332 and .298 in three seasons at East Carolina, thinks he’ll play for low A Dayton in a utility role, perhaps as a middle infielder-third baseman.
“I’ll be like a kid in a candy shop down there,’’ Darryl said of spring training camp.
In a sense, Darryl said the tryout was a formality.
“The Reds knew what I could do,’’ he said.
During the 2004 draft, the Reds phoned Darryl, telling him they planned to select him in the 11th round, but the Diamondbacks beat them to it.
The Lawhorns essentially have played together their entire lives. They were separated for one season as amateurs, when the right-handed hitting Trevor played for Barton College as a freshman before transferring to ECU.
“I told the Reds when I signed, ‘You are going to have to try and figure Trevor and me out,’’’ the left-handed hitting Darryl said. “All they have to do it put a bat in our hands and you can figure it out.’’

Chuck Carree: 343-2262 or chuck.carree@starnewsonline.com.

TRF
02-13-2006, 03:27 PM
twins creep me out.

ochre
02-13-2006, 03:30 PM
“I told the Reds when I signed, ‘You are going to have to try and figure Trevor and me out,’’’ the left-handed hitting Darryl said. “All they have to do it put a bat in our hands and you can figure it out.’’

Chuck Carree: 343-2262 or chuck.carree@starnewsonline.com.
I'm assuming then that Darryl can actually hit?

Red Leader
02-13-2006, 03:31 PM

That's what I got out of it.

corkedbat
02-13-2006, 09:24 PM

Nope unfortunately, that's their other brother Darryl. :evil:

Super_Barry11
02-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Trevor is my "friend" on Myspace. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :laugh:

bucksfan
02-13-2006, 10:16 PM
I need to read slower - my first scan of the thread title told me that "Matt Lawton and the Twins" were reunited in Sarasota.... I wondered why it had to happen in Sarasota yet, before ST and all, and furthermore why it happened to begin with.

Doc. Scott
02-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Trevor outhit his brother in 2004- .301/.365/.609 to .298/.397/.515. Can't find Trevor's stats for 2002 and 2003, but I'm sure they're on an ECU page somewhere.

The Lawhorns also played with Michael DeJesus in 2003. DeJesus, the younger brother of David DeJesus of the KC Royals, ended up picked by the Reds in the 15th round in 2005 (after Michael transferred to Coastal Carolina to finish his college career).

M2
02-14-2006, 12:21 AM
When the umps are distracted will they pull the switcheroo so that they can gain a hitting advantage against the opposing pitcher?

Chip R
02-14-2006, 10:49 AM
When the umps are distracted will they pull the switcheroo so that they can gain a hitting advantage against the opposing pitcher?
Fire Jerry Narron. Hire Bobby Heenan. ;)

Gallen5862
02-15-2006, 12:40 AM
This is what MLB.com had about Darryl Lawhorn when he was drafted in 2004 draft.
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/draftday/y2004/search.jsp?sc=lastName&sp=L&pg=1

326 DARRYL LAWHORN * EAST CAROLINA U RF L/R 6'2" 180 1982-12-18 4YR
COMMENT: MEDIUM FRAME, WELL-PROPORTIONED. SOMEWHAT SLENDER. RECENT MUSCLE DEVELOPMENT, FAIR WIRY STRENGTH. SIMILAR TO STEVE FINLEY. SQUARE, BIT NARROW, TOED IN. BAT AWAY AT MID BODY, HANDS LOW. BAT HEAD COCKED OME TOWARDS PITCHER. GENERATES BAT SPEED & FLUID STROKE AFTER CORRECTING POOR SET UP POSITION. AGGRESSIVE CUTS. ENOUGH CONTACT. LIFT IN BAT. FAIR RUNNER. THROW CARRY, ACCURATE. ADEQUATE ANGLES, READS BATTED BALL.

princeton
02-15-2006, 01:26 PM
READS BATTED BALL.

"Official major league baseball Allan H Selig commissioner... dang, this one says it too!

"Whoops-- missed getting the runner at first, again"

Gallen5862
04-13-2006, 02:01 PM
http://www.starnewsonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060413/COLUMNIST03/60412046/1005/sports
Article published Apr 13, 2006
Holding out for big bonus is a minor leaguer's best defense

The next time an amateur draft selection holds out for sizable signing bonuses, don’t get upset by the money he receives.
Bonanza signing bonuses aren’t solely about greed, even though it is troublesome for fans when 18-year-old Justin Upton, the overall top pick last June, elected a lengthy holdout before signing for a record $6.1 million spread over five years. Another first-round selection last season, Cameron Maybin, didn’t reached an agreement until Sept. 22 for $2.65 million.
Large signing bonuses are about ensuring rapid advancement through the minor leagues. Clubs want a return on their investment and are less likely to part soon with players they’ve given large sums of money.
Low bonus signees, such as former UNC-Wilmington standout Brian Whitaker, a 25th round pick in 2002, don’t get as fair a shake.
San Diego waived him last Monday, despite a career 3.25 ERA over five seasons.
Darryl Lawhorn, an ex-New Hanover High School and East Carolina star, is in a similar, yet nowhere near as drastic situation.
Cincinnati signed him as a free agent in the winter, but left him behind in extended spring training.
Had he been an early selection, he undoubtedly would be on a club, not working out at numerous positions in Sarasota, Fla., with other minor-league holdovers.
He says he’s more at ease at third, which the Reds have told him is an area of need. Although last among farm systems in Baseball America rankings, Cincinnati signed Lawhorn as a middle infielder – the most bountiful position in the Reds system.
They have tried Lawhorn at corner infield spots, second base and right field. If he had his way, the hot corner is where he’d play.
“I have less time to think about stuff, you just kind of react to it,’’ he said.
In case anybody wondered, his twice surgically repaired foot is fine and he’s swung the bat well thus far.
While Lawhorn is in limbo, Josh Bonifay, a six-year minor league free agent, opted for a change of scenery.
After averaging 20 home runs and 78 runs batted in the last four seasons with the Pittsburgh Pirates, he decided he needed a fresh start. So the former UNCW standout left the organization, where his father, Cam, once was general manager.
Although he played five spring training games with the parent Pirates, going 2 for 5, the organization didn’t seem to value his versatility and numbers.
Teams view 24th round picks like Bonifay as fillers, meaning a marginal prospect to round out a roster with future big leaguers. So in the off-season, his agent spoke with the Rangers, Cardinals, Cubs and Astros.
Bonifay knew Astros’ minor league field coordinator Tom Wiedenbauer through ex-teammate and close friend, J.R. House, now a catcher with Corpus Christi, the Double A team Bonifay was assigned.
On top of that, Corpus Christi field manager Dave Clark played in the Pirates’ system under Cam’s watch.
“I felt really comfortable with the Astros and thought it was a good opportunity with first baseman Jeff Bagwell down with an injury and it looks like he’s going to retire,’’ Bonifay said.
Lance Berkman is the Astros’ first baseman and Bonifay hopes he can work his way into Houston’s plans in case they need a big league backup.
“The Astros gave me the best opportunity, plus they were fair with me,’’ Bonifay said. “I like their front office people. Ricky Bennett, the farm director and assistant GM, was nice to talk to. He didn’t make any promises. They like people who do their jobs the right way, work hard and don’t cause problems.’’
He signed as a utility player. He expects to play first base, outfield and DH.
“I’ve battled my whole life with the Pirates, not being able to get a chance after putting up numbers I thought were good enough to get promoted to Triple A,’’ he said.
“I’m not worried about the front office anymore or moves. I’m focused on taking care of myself, doing the right things and making sure I’m having fun playing baseball.’’

Staff writer Chuck Carree can be reached at 343-2262 or chuck.carree@starnews
online.com.