PDA

View Full Version : Dunn signs 2 year deal w/club option for 2008

Caseyfan21
02-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Per Marc's Blog:

So much for that dinner -- Dunn signs

Adam Dunn has agreed to a two-year deal with a club option for 2008. Dunn will get $7.5 million this year, $10.5 million in 2007 and $13 million if the option is picked up. The buyout of that year is $500,000.

Funny, the one call I made today that wasn't returned was to Dunn's agent. Guess he was busy.

Discuss away, seems like a good deal for the Reds for this year and a good deal for the future years as long as Dunn stays productive and keeps improving.

Cyclone792
02-13-2006, 11:02 PM
How many days did Dan O'Brien not get this dunn in?

How many days did Krivsky get this dunn in?

This isn't what I'd classify as long term, but essentially three years is much much better than what we were faced with before. Color me a fan of the deal.

Phhhl
02-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Very good news. I fully expect Adam to be worth the 13 mil in 08. Maybe by then things will have changed enough to convince him to sign a new one.

REDREAD
02-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Great deal by the new regime.. Krivisky is moving with blinding speed. It's an amazing contrast to Dan O'Boring.

Reds4Life
02-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Pretty good deal for the Reds, glad to see Krivsky got this done before camp.

paintmered
02-13-2006, 11:14 PM
I think this is also a very fair deal for both sides. It doesn't kill the payroll and yet it gives Dunn the payday he's earned.

Good move all around. :thumbup:

Gallen5862
02-13-2006, 11:15 PM
This is great news. This locks up Dunn for 3 years and gives us a chance to try to extend his contract later. Great job Krivsky.

Heath
02-13-2006, 11:15 PM
wow.

Bob Borkowski
02-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Excellent news!:beerme:

MartyFan
02-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Makes Dunn an even more valuable trade pawn should the right pitching come available.

Shaknb8k
02-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Man i was about to get in bed for an early nights sleep....decided to check on here to see if there was anything new....now im not even going to get to sleep....maybe I did get to sleep an now im dreaming....man thats great news....Krivsky and Cast. are getting in good with the fans real quick.

RedsMan3203
02-13-2006, 11:21 PM
I like it... Bout time.

MWM
02-13-2006, 11:22 PM
This is GREAT news. Nice work Waynesky.

letsgojunior
02-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Great news:dunn:

I wonder what creek is getting Krivsky for Valentines Day??

And for the record I'm down with the Krivsky regime.

M2
02-13-2006, 11:24 PM
How many days did Dan O'Brien not get this dunn in?

How many days did Krivsky get this dunn in?

This isn't what I'd classify as long term, but essentially three years is much much better than what we were faced with before. Color me a fan of the deal.

That pretty much sums it up. In less than a week Krivsky's eclipsed DanO's two-plus years on the job.

GridironGrace
02-13-2006, 11:27 PM
just seen this on reds.com and was coming to break the news.... GO REDS!!!!!

vaticanplum
Holy awesome.

This is a very reasonable deal. If Krivsky keeps this up the Reds may be close to being competitive by 2008 and maybe the money will be there and Dunn will want to stay.

At this moment, of Krivsky and Dunn, I don't know which I love more.

gm
Two words come to mind...

WOO-HOO!

(Dunn to Houston...static...we have a problem...static...come in Houston...)

Doc. Scott
02-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Not to throw water on this, because it's a good thing- but this only keeps Dunn around for one more year than he was bound to the club anyway. This is still setting him up to go to free agency (or re-sign at top dollar) in his prime.

Falls City Beer
02-13-2006, 11:29 PM
That pretty much sums it up. In less than a week Krivsky's eclipsed DanO's two-plus years on the job.

Something tells me this deal had way more to do with Castellini's bill clip than any negotiating acumen on the part of Krivsky.

letsgojunior
02-13-2006, 11:31 PM
Frankly I'm just excited to have someone at the helm whose biggest concern isn't what color tab dividers to use in his binder.

I have a good feeling about this.:)

reds_fan29
02-13-2006, 11:32 PM
great deal for everyone involved...go reds:thumbup:

vaticanplum
02-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Not to throw water on this, because it's a good thing- but this only keeps Dunn around for one more year than he was bound to the club anyway. This is still setting him up to go to free agency (or re-sign at top dollar) in his prime.

I think one of the big points is that it shows that Dunn is a priority. It says both to him and to the fans that everybody realizes how important he is to the team and that we are willing to give him the money for now. $13 million is top dollar and to me it's really nice not to see the Reds penny pinching where it counts.

I think three years is perfect. A lot of things will be clearer by 2009 -- payroll, Griffey, pitching...this is out of the way now and we can see how the new management deals with the rest.

Falls City Beer
02-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Love the move. But signing Dunn is like playing Atari Combat on "Novice."

Heavy lifting, Wayne, awaits. Eric Milton, opening homestand, first inning grand slam. Get busy Wayne. I'm sick of embarrassment.

RFS62
02-13-2006, 11:38 PM

You're right, of course.

But I still give this move a great ole big HELL YES!!!!!!

The new regime is ON FIRE!!!!!

:beerme: :beerme: :beerme: :beerme:

Shaknb8k
02-13-2006, 11:38 PM
I understand its only a 3 year deal at the most. I would have loved for a 5-7 year deal but hey Im happy. What im even more happy about is that the front office is finally showing signs of life. They have been clinically dead for well over 3 years now. And i do agree that Krivsky now has past O'brien on all fronts. And it took all of what 6 days? With the way things are going Bong might be the one DFA'ed tomorrow.

M2
02-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Something tells me this deal had way more to do with Castellini's bill clip than any negotiating acumen on the part of Krivsky.

That's not exactly earth-shattering money. Unlike Lindner, Castellini perhaps understood the importance of signing Dunn and it's possible he helped make the pitch. Yet Dunn clearly was willing to sign and DanO spent years not getting a deal done. Krivsky's gotten something important, something positive done. IMO, it's impossible not to attribute closing this deal to him.

RFS62
02-13-2006, 11:42 PM
This has much more symbolic value than anything else.

If Dunn balks at a multi year deal, it's a direct signal that he's on his way out of town as soon as possible.

bucksfan
02-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Cool beans. I get on the computer, find my state income tax refund has been desposited and then see this. I am now off the check some of my other favorite websites to see what they bestoweth upon me.... ;)

Shaknb8k
02-13-2006, 11:44 PM
Thats exactly right RFS62...Not only does it prove stuff on Dunns part but I believe it validates all of the Cast. talk about wanting to win. Im not saying that this signing will make the reds win cause he was going to be here for the next two years no matter what...its a lot more than just a 2-year deal with a club option.

reds44
02-13-2006, 11:44 PM
Woooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RFS62
02-13-2006, 11:45 PM
I've got hope again.

What's that worth?

More done in the first week than in two years with DanO.

Now let's get to the pitching.

KittyDuran
02-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Man i was about to get in bed for an early nights sleep....decided to check on here to see if there was anything new....now im not even going to get to sleep....maybe I did get to sleep an now im dreaming....man thats great news....Krivsky and Cast. are getting in good with the fans real quick.Same here, and it's already passed my bedtime...:sleep: ;)

Caveat Emperor
02-13-2006, 11:46 PM

True, but this deal accomplishes four primary objectives for the Reds:

1.) It avoids arbitration with Dunn this season, which means he will (in all likelihood) report to spring training with a big smile and no bitter taste from an arbitration hearing.

2.) It creates cost-certainty for Adam Dunn's spot in the roster for the next two years, which should better help the club in planning it's financial futures and free-agent acquisitions. No longer are they at the mercy of a contentious arbitration process, Dunn's ever-improving skill set as a ballplayer, and the escalating costs of MLB contracts.

3.) It affirms to Adam Dunn that the Reds consider him a centerpiece of their offense and are willing to make a long-term commitment to him. It gets Adam Dunn and the new front office off on the right foot.

4.) The deal's length is not prohibitively long and the dollars involved are not prohibitively large such to preclude a future trade being made. Taking on Dunn's contract will, likely, not be an issue for other teams if trade talks get serious and the return is beneficial for the Reds.

This is absolutely a win for the Reds, especially considering that (given their awful farm system and awful pitching problems) keeping Adam Dunn might turn out to be an unfeasible option for the team in it's road to competitiveness.

ochre
02-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Hopefully this is a good faith jesture that will allow both sides to feel good about the other.

Perhaps the conversation(s) with Kearns were related to this development?

paintmered
02-13-2006, 11:48 PM
I've got hope again.

What's that worth?

For me, it's worth at least a few trips to the ballpark.

RFS62
02-13-2006, 11:48 PM
This is a bellwether moment.

Recognition of an understanding of what's important.

This is huge, far greater than a simple analysis of a three year deal.

Falls City Beer
02-13-2006, 11:49 PM
That's not exactly earth-shattering money. Unlike Lindner, Castellini perhaps understood the importance of signing Dunn and it's possible he helped make the pitch. Yet Dunn clearly was willing to sign and DanO spent years not getting a deal done. Krivsky's gotten something important, something positive done. IMO, it's impossible not to attribute closing this deal to him.

Well, I'm not sure someone deserves special dispensation for walking onto the job at the Cincinnati Reds and realizing that Adam Dunn is the one player on the roster who needs to get signed for more than one year. I think we're getting a dose of what it feels like to inject the merest drop of common sense into the FO. Great start, but not special, or inventive, or difficult.

TeamBoone
02-13-2006, 11:50 PM
:luvu: Woo Hoo!!!!!

Hopefully, by the time this comes up again, the Reds will be on their way up and Adam Dunn will want to be part of that.

I'm soooooooooo happy, I can hardly stand it!! :beerme:

M2
02-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Doc, I think it's entirely possible that if Dunn didn't sign this deal the Reds might have felt compelled to deal him before July 31. It also might pave the way for an extension next offseason.

Shaknb8k
02-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Man....i wish Castellini could read what paintmered just wrote....See its not hard to put fans in the seats....if signing dunn brings fans to a few more games then what in the world would a winning team do for cincinnati? Paint you just said a mouthfull in a few words.

Joseph
02-13-2006, 11:52 PM
I believe amongst the Dunn/Kearns/Griff clubhouse group that O'Brien wasn't well liked and his departure surely played a part in Dunn's signing.

TeamBoone
02-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Isn't it ironic that 44 people are on the board right now?

KittyDuran
02-13-2006, 11:55 PM
I believe amongst the Dunn/Kearns/Griff clubhouse group that O'Brien wasn't well liked and his departure surely played a part in Dunn's signing.Especially Kearns...

KittyDuran
02-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Isn't it ironic that 44 people are on the board right now?Well shoot - it's 45 people now...;)

gm
02-13-2006, 11:56 PM
Makes Dunn an even more valuable trade pawn should the right pitching come available.

from Marc's blog...

UPDATE: I asked Wayne Krivsky how this might play into all the trade rumors always swirling around Dunn.

"Was he signed to trade? No," said Krivsky. "But if something presents itself, like it would with any other player (the Reds would listen). Look, we like Adam Dunn. We wouldn’t have given him this contract if we didn’t think he was worthy of it and going to be a major contributor for us."

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

harangatang
02-13-2006, 11:57 PM
Especially Kearns...
They couldn't demote Dunn and Griffey so instead O'Brien/Miley took away their chairs in the clubhouse. Such pettiness.

RFS62
02-13-2006, 11:57 PM
Doc, I think it's entirely possible that if Dunn didn't sign this deal the Reds might have felt compelled to deal him before July 31. It also might pave the way for an extension next offseason.

I am completely convinced that this is true.

They had to find out if he was willing to sign a deal or blow town at the earliest moment. Everything else revolved around that understanding.

M2
02-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Well, I'm not sure someone deserves special dispensation for walking onto the job at the Cincinnati Reds and realizing that Adam Dunn is the one player on the roster who needs to get signed for more than one year. I think we're getting a dose of what it feels like to inject the merest drop of common sense into the FO. Great start, but not special, or inventive, or difficult.

After two-plus years of watching a guy who can't close, I disagree. Krivsky aimed immediately at the right target and nailed it. It bodes extremely well for this team. We share the same concern that the Reds could still be on the downhill slope into the ravine. Well, what kind of GM is going to pull a club out of that kind of slide? I say it's one who doesn't mess around, who gets the big things done. Krivsky just did the big thing.

This is a bellwether moment.

Recognition of an understanding of what's important.

This is huge, far greater than a simple analysis of a three year deal.

I totally agree.

TeamBoone
02-14-2006, 12:00 AM
Updated: Feb. 13, 2006, 10:56 PM ET

Reds, Dunn avoid arbitration hearing with dealAssociated Press

CINCINNATI -- Adam Dunn agreed to a two-year, $18.5 million deal Tuesday, three days before he and the Cincinnati Reds were scheduled for an arbitration hearing.

Adam Dunn
First Base
Cincinnati Reds

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
160 40 101 107 .387 .247

Dunn got salaries of $7.5 million for this season and $10.5 million for 2007. The club has an option for a $13 million salary in 2008, which it can buy out for $500,000.

The outfielder/first baseman was the Reds' last player left in arbitration. He had asked for the second-biggest salary increase among the 44 major leaguers who exchanged arbitration figures with teams. Dunn sought $8.95 million in arbitration, and the club offered $7.1 million.

"This is a happy day for the Reds," general manager Wayne Krivsky said by phone. "I haven't talked to Adam, but I hope he feels as good about it as we do. Hopefully is sends a nice message that he's appreciated and we're looking for big things from him."

Dunn's arbitration case was one of Krivsky's priorities when he was chosen general manager last Wednesday. He said the sides had previously discussed a one-year deal, but he decided to broaden the discussion to a multiyear contract.

"We had some one-year discussions. Most of those were before I came onboard," Krivsky said. "I thought the best way to get this done was the way it ended up. I felt like let's make a statement here to some extent and see if we can get a two-year deal."

Dunn made $4.6 million last year, when he batted .247 with 40 homers, 101 RBI and 114 walks. He became the only player in Reds history to have two seasons with 100 runs, walks and RBI.

The contract agreement represented a compromise, with Dunn getting closer to the team's offer this season and the bigger raise next year.

"Hopefully there's one more [contract] at least beyond this one," Krivsky said. "We'll just have to see how it plays out. For the short term here, he's got a little security and we have a little cost certainty."

The Reds plan to move Dunn from left field to first base this season, taking over for Sean Casey, who was traded to Pittsburgh.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2329833

M2
02-14-2006, 12:00 AM
"Was he signed to trade? No," said Krivsky. "But if something presents itself, like it would with any other player (the Reds would listen). Look, we like Adam Dunn. We wouldn’t have given him this contract if we didn’t think he was worthy of it and going to be a major contributor for us."

Oh my God, that was totally in English.

paintmered
02-14-2006, 12:02 AM

:laugh:

Okay Redsland, time to translate that into DanOese.

letsgojunior
02-14-2006, 12:03 AM

You mean "we're weighing all our options, both internal and external..." is not English? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I need to leave this thread, I have things to do.

Mario-Rijo
02-14-2006, 12:03 AM
Plus the 7.5 Mill figure gives us a little dough this year in which to wiggle in or out of a deal or 2! Does anyone know what our payroll is at right now? I know we just saved about a Mill and a half for this season.

RFS62
02-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Adam Dunn is now set for life. This is a huge moment in his career. He's set for life.

He'll never have to worry about working again in his life.

No matter what happens, he's flush.

And Reds Nation is on a roll.

The stark contrast between the Lindner era and the first few days of the Castellini regime couldn't be more clear.

Hope.

We've got it again. How long has it been? The last time I remembered this feeling was when we signed Junior.

GridironGrace
02-14-2006, 12:13 AM
Im just glad to see them avoid arbitration.. Just seems that would leave a sour taste in the mouth of the "team vs Player" outlook in my eyes.

So glad this was done on thier OWN terms and not in the hands of an arbitrator.

And i once again state that i have great expectations on this season and cant wait for it to start.

And this deal also shows that the new owners and front office are willing to do what it takes to get the REDS back to winning!!

GO REDS!!! Headed in the right direction

Falls City Beer
02-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Adam Dunn is now set for life. This is a huge moment in his career. He's set for life.

He'll never have to worry about working again in his life.

No matter what happens, he's flush.

And Reds Nation is on a roll.

The stark contrast between the Lindner era and the first few days of the Castellini regime couldn't be more clear.

Hope.

We've got it again. How long has it been? The last time I remembered this feeling was when we signed Junior.

I'm happy for Dunn. I'm delighted I get to watch him play for my favorite team for a few more years. He's really the only thing worth watching on this ballclub.

But I'm not even remotely ready to connect the dots, and proclaim this a bellwether move--the watershed. This team could easily stall out or regress. I assume nothing.

wheels
02-14-2006, 12:22 AM
Far Out!

Of course it didn't take a genious to figure this one out, but I've grown accustomed to a GM that ignored the painfully obvious, making every move seem like they have to perform brain surgery on an ant.

It gives them time and breathing room, and a little good faith to get an even larger contract done in the future.

Now this is the type of positive move that I was looking for.

Still alot of work to be done, but it's good that they've squared this one away.

BCubb2003
02-14-2006, 12:23 AM
“Hopefully there’s one more (contract) at least beyond this one,” Krivsky said.

LincolnparkRed
02-14-2006, 12:26 AM
I have to say this doesn't necessarily turn the ship around but the captain is definitely trying to plot a new course. Now if we could only find an island where 20 game winners are young, cheap, and grow on trees

RFS62
02-14-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm happy for Dunn. I'm delighted I get to watch him play for my favorite team for a few more years. He's really the only thing worth watching on this ballclub.

There's plenty to watch on this team.

FeLo, Kearns, Eddie E, Wily Mo, Freel, LaRue, Junior, the best offense in the league... plenty. Many, many compelling stories.

The pitching sucks beyond belief. Nobody argues that fact.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Every day that passes, I believe more in our new direction.

But I'm not even remotely ready to connect the dots, and proclaim this a bellwether move--the watershed. This team could easily stall out or regress. I assume nothing.

Of course it could. And it's an easier bet to make.

Personally, I'm willing to risk an emotional investment in the new regime. You go ahead and man the bilge pumps. I'm headed for the crows nest.

gm
02-14-2006, 12:34 AM
McCoy's working late tonight (With apologies to Lancaster...) DDN beats the Post and Enquirer to the "cyber press"

Last year, Dunn played 160 of 162 games, despite a hairline fracture in his right hand, and hit .247 with 40 homers and 101 RBI. He had 46 homers and 102 RBI in 204.

"I'm not letting any grass grow under my feet," Krivsky said with a laugh. He flew home to Arlington, Texas on Sunday night, but Dunn was on his mind.

"Getting him signed was an absolute priority," he added. "It has been weighing on my mind since I took over (Thursday) and I worried I wasn't spending enough time on it."

But Krivsky and Dunn's agent, Greg Genske, began negotiations over the weekend and a deal was struck Monday evening.

"These few days have been unbelievable," Krivsky said. "How did we get it done so quickly? Good question. We were dealing with a reasonable agent who wanted to get something done as badly as the Reds wanted to get something done.

"What strikes you most about Dunn is his awesome raw power. He has as much raw power as anyone in the game. Plus he has plate discipline, draws his walks, won't go after pitches out of his zone. He is patient. He does strike out a lot and we'd like to see those cut down, but he'll be working on it."

During his wild, wild first days, Krivsky had his first encounter with Ken Griffey Jr., a phone call that went like this.

"Hello, this is Ken."

"Ken who?"

"Kenny from area code 407."

"You must have the wrong number?

"Who is this?"

"Wayne Krivsky, general manager of the Cincinnati Reds."

"Well, this is Ken Griffey Jr."

Griffey wasn't certain he had the right number and didn't want to acknowledge who he was until he was certain he had Krivsky.

"I was all wrapped up in calls about Dunn's contract and told Griffey I'd call him back," said Krivsky. "I called and apologized, but we both had a good laugh and a great talk."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/index.html

wheels
02-14-2006, 12:41 AM
On a personal level, I think I'm really taking a liking to Waynesky.

He's coming off as a very plain spoken, funny guy.

kyred14
02-14-2006, 12:42 AM
Hot dog!

KronoRed
02-14-2006, 12:44 AM
What happened to all the "No way Dunn signs now that he's at 1st, he'll hate it..he hates us..he wants out yesterday"

:D

Cyclone792
02-14-2006, 12:44 AM
OMG, Krivsky nailed it ...

"What strikes you most about Dunn is his awesome raw power. He has as much raw power as anyone in the game. Plus he has plate discipline, draws his walks, won't go after pitches out of his zone. He is patient. He does strike out a lot and we'd like to see those cut down, but he'll be working on it."

Trust me on this one, the data CLEARLY supports the bolded part. Having a GM that recognizes this is ... well ... I'm speechless, really.

KronoRed
02-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Great numbers too, backloaded so he about the time that he would sign a huge new deal JR will be off the payroll :clap:

vaticanplum
02-14-2006, 12:51 AM
On a personal level, I think I'm really taking a liking to Waynesky.

He's coming off as a very plain spoken, funny guy.

I agree, but you know who's coming off very well to me now is Castellini. In the world of O'Brien/Lindner, you had incompetence backed by ambivalence, but my initial impression with these two is you've got reason backed by fire. From everything I've read and from what history I know of him, Castellini has an extremely intense desire to win at any cost. I definitely think he knows his (and the team's) limitations and I don't think he'll ever be a Steinbrenner-type spender, but to me this is an excellent characteristic to have for an owner. I'd much rather have reason backed up by fire than the other way around.

O'Brien never seemed to feel very strongly about anything but crap, and when you combine that with a spendthrift and clueless owner like Lindner it was a complete disaster. I just feel that if Krivsky really felt strongly about something, he could go to Castellini and get a "well, do you really think this will help us win?" and if the answer was yes, Castellini would do it. Because I don't think Krivsky will approach something that way unless he really believes it.

I'm not quite sure what it is about this deal that conveys this to me, but it does. What do we need to do? Well, this is our best player. Ok, let's lock him up for as long as makes sense to right now. I guess my point is that even though it's early, I have TRUST in this pairing and that in itself makes a huge difference in this team for me.

WVRedsFan
02-14-2006, 12:57 AM
This is so positive and so different I'm heading toward euphoria. Yes, I really am.

I wanted a GM who made swift, yet good decisions. So far, in little more than a week, we've not only moved far, far away from the status quo, signed a genuine major leaguer for the bench, started the long cleanup of the front office, and signed the team's premier young slugger to a somewhat long contract. That's progress and hardly a week has gone by. It's amazing what an owner who really cares can do.

And the beat goes on. Like on the old Johnny Carson show, theres more to come (remember the old "More to Come" screens between the three-thousand commercials?). I get the feeling that moves for pitching will come during Spring Training and even more at the deadline if we are remotely close to contending.

Yep, life is now good. After so long, there is something to be enthusiastic about. Like RFS62 says...heck, just look at my signature.

marcshoe
02-14-2006, 12:59 AM
Okay. The whole energy of the team is changing.

gonelong
02-14-2006, 01:12 AM
I'm pretty much speechless. First opening day power packs and now this. We have somebody in the Front office using his head for more than a door-stop.

Bravo.

GL

cincinnati chili
02-14-2006, 01:14 AM
So does Adam still have options remaining?

gonelong
02-14-2006, 01:17 AM
So does Adam still have options remaining?

Yep. Blonde, brunette, redhead, or all 3.

Them's some good options.

GL

dougdirt
02-14-2006, 01:55 AM
HAHA! gone long that was pretty good. Ive heard some stories about Dunn and women, but they are definately not appropriate for this here message board.

Nugget
02-14-2006, 02:22 AM
Good signing - but it will still means Krivsky will need to work his butt of next year to get Dunn long term gong forward. Basically Dunn has taken the two years left of arbitration and guaranteed it with the team having an option if something happening in the next two years to move on. Flexible contract which rules nothing out.

I see that Hal and AP disagree about when negotiations started but small price to pay for good news.

Also funny stuff with Junior - also interesting that he takes the opportunity to call the new GM rather than waiting for the call. Shows good clubhouse spirit for a supposed "gruff" character.

flyer85
02-14-2006, 02:27 AM
Not to throw water on this, because it's a good thing- but this only keeps Dunn around for one more year than he was bound to the club anyway. This is still setting him up to go to free agency (or re-sign at top dollar) in his prime.which was what was going to happen anyway when the Reds chose not to do anything 2 years ago when DanO got the job.

WMR
02-14-2006, 02:39 AM
"We had some one-year discussions. Most of those were before I came onboard," Krivsky said. "I thought the best way to get this done was the way it ended up. I felt like let's make a statement here to some extent and see if we can get a two-year deal."

Wonder who was the ringleader of those "discussions."

Must have been someone with a real acumen for negotiations, especially when used in conjunction with multiple binders.

DoogMinAmo
02-14-2006, 02:48 AM
More from Marc:

Was not able to get in touch with Adam tonight, but I did speak with his agent, Greg Genske, a little earlier. He provided one detail in particular that you'll probably find interesting: The 2008 club option is voided if Dunn gets traded.
"Adam was willing to commit one of those free-agent years to the Reds, and not to any other team," said Genske.

In addition, Genske said that $13 million option actually could grow to $16 million with incentives. He was at dinner and didn't have the specifics on hand, but said they were award-based. That usually means bonuses for winning an MVP and/or making the All-Star Game.

From what Genske said, it sounds like Krivsky made getting a deal done before arbitration a top priority.

"Wayne reached out as soon as he accepted the job to become general manager," said Genske. "We realized we had a lot of work to do in a short period of time if we were going to reach an agreement and avoid the arbitration hearing, which always is the goal."

So much for Dunn wanting out.

Jpup
02-14-2006, 02:55 AM
More from Marc:

Was not able to get in touch with Adam tonight, but I did speak with his agent, Greg Genske, a little earlier. He provided one detail in particular that you'll probably find interesting: The 2008 club option is voided if Dunn gets traded.
"Adam was willing to commit one of those free-agent years to the Reds, and not to any other team," said Genske.

In addition, Genske said that $13 million option actually could grow to $16 million with incentives. He was at dinner and didn't have the specifics on hand, but said they were award-based. That usually means bonuses for winning an MVP and/or making the All-Star Game.

From what Genske said, it sounds like Krivsky made getting a deal done before arbitration a top priority.

"Wayne reached out as soon as he accepted the job to become general manager," said Genske. "We realized we had a lot of work to do in a short period of time if we were going to reach an agreement and avoid the arbitration hearing, which always is the goal."

So much for Dunn wanting out.

so, if the Reds want him, he is 100% theirs for 3 years? Sounds great to me. :thumbup: So much for the specualation, like you said, of Dunner wanting out. Go Reds!

Johnny Footstool
02-14-2006, 03:12 AM
If nothing else, this really highlights how pathetic the Lindner/Allen/DanO regime really was.

Ron Madden
02-14-2006, 05:17 AM
We now have HOPE.. That's a Good Thing.

I think I'm gonna like it here in Waynes World. :beerme:

cincyinco
02-14-2006, 07:17 AM

I'm sorry FCB, but when we as fans have been feasting on Top Raman for the last 5 years.. then suddenly feasting on canned tuna tastes like caviar.

lollipopcurve
02-14-2006, 08:10 AM
They had to find out if he was willing to sign a deal or blow town at the earliest moment. Everything else revolved around that understanding.

Agree 100%. This was order of business #1. This clarifies so much about the team, its priorities and options. If another team wants Dunn in his prime, they're going to have to cough up megatalent. More likely, the Reds can focus their trade efforts on other names and finally get some good (if not great) pitching back. Order of business #2, coming up.

M2
02-14-2006, 10:13 AM
If nothing else, this really highlights how pathetic the Lindner/Allen/DanO regime really was.

Impotent strikes me as the appropriate term.

redsfan30
02-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Just echoing the sentiments of others.....Great deal!

It's so refreshing to have this tandem of Castellini/Krivski. They have done more in a month than the previous regime did in 5 years to make this a better ballclub.

Keep it up!

Tommyjohn25
02-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Man, unbelieveable difference in a week! I'm actually excited to be a Reds fan right now! Thank you Rcast and Wayne! What you are doing for the fans is priceless! Now...KEEP IT UP!! ;)

klw
02-14-2006, 11:18 AM
And in year three he will be making the same as Furcal and Damon.

KronoRed
02-14-2006, 11:20 AM
The new day has dawned

ochre
02-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Krivsky scorecard:

One huge franchise impacting move.
Three relatively insignificant player acquisitions.
various frontoffice moves and reshufflings.

The big move grades pretty well, particularly with the comments associated with it (regarding Dunn's plate approach). The other moves, assuming that those acquired are just peripheral pieces, should have little bearing on the future of the Reds and can be accredited to the short ramp up period allotted to the new GM.

westofyou
02-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Great start, but not special, or inventive, or difficult.

The man has had the job for 5 days, he's done nothing but secure the future, make moves that we all wanted and promote the team, all with the organization dealing with a new owner and his staff as well as trying to get the organization transfered down to Fla for the spring.

Why not toss him a bone?

Is it that hard to note that this is more Howsam than O'Brien?

rdiersin
02-14-2006, 12:30 PM
The man has had the job for 5 days, he's done nothing but secure the future, make moves that we all wanted and promote the team, all with the organization dealing with a new owner and his staff as well as trying to get the organization transfered down to Fla for the spring.

Why not toss him a bone?

The other part that was interesting is that it seems to have been Krivsky's initiative, not Castellini's. (Great job as always, Marc).

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060214/SPT05/602140330/1027

Krivsky's top priority after taking the job was getting young slugger Adam Dunn signed, preferably to a multi-year deal, and avoiding an arbitration hearing scheduled for this Friday. To do that, he would need plenty of latitude from CEO Bob Castellini.

As it turns out, he got plenty, and passed it along to Dunn in the form of a two-year deal with a club option for 2008. The Reds' new first baseman will make $7.5 million this year and $10.5 million in 2007. The option, if picked up, would pay him at least $13 million, though award-based incentives could take that figure up to $16 million. Or, the Reds could buy out the option year for $500,000.

"We explained the pros to doing it, and Bob asked a lot of questions, he challenged us, and we gave him reasons why," Krivsky said Monday night. "He said 'OK, this is what you can do,' and there we go."

redsmetz
02-14-2006, 12:34 PM

But it also buys us time to negotiate something more down the line. It's a nice way to eliminate the Arbitration monster. There's nothing that keeps the club from negotiating something longer later.

WVRedsFan
02-14-2006, 12:38 PM

Why not toss him a bone?

Yes!

Excellent post. I sometimes wonder what people want Wayno to do given the mess he inherited. He's making positive moves to get to where he wants to go. This is going to be a long process, but I see evidence that he is getting there--one step at a time. Good GM's operate that way, always thinking of the next deal when they make the first one.

Chip R
02-14-2006, 12:42 PM

Why not toss him a bone?

Somebody's got to be a curmudgeon.

ochre
02-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Yes!

Excellent post. I sometimes wonder what people want Wayno to do given the mess he inherited. He's making positive moves to get to where he wants to go. This is going to be a long process, but I see evidence that he is getting there--one step at a time. Good GM's operate that way, always thinking of the next deal when they make the first one.
For me it is/was less of a "what I want him to do" thing given the external constraints. What I was looking for was a preview of his baseball ideology. Up until this signing, I personally, found his acquisitions to be dubious at best. This signing throws the balance to the other end in my perspective. Still a lot to be determined as to how he (Krivsky) will do here, but this is a step in the right direction as compared to the walking up the down escalator we've gone through for the last few years.

westofyou
02-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Up until this signing, I personally, found his acquisitions to be dubious at best.
Penny stock moves compared to the Dunn affair and if they fail they are no worse than the annual pre ST crapshoot.

Folks like Perez are there for split squad days more than they are there to taunt the fans with their sub average play.

ochre
02-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Penny stock moves compared to the Dunn affair and if they fail they are no worse than the annual pre ST crapshoot.

Folks like Perez are there for split squad days more than they are there to taunt the fans with their sub average play.
That's basically what I was saying. With only those moves to judge Krivsky by and the lack of anything that outlines his philosophy we were all waiting for something like this move to help establish where he stands.

deltachi8
02-14-2006, 03:46 PM

Agreed, WOY. Of course your last sentence makes me wonder if McCracken is WK way of say saying to FCB "Now stop complaining or I will be forced to taunt you a second time."

TeamBoone
02-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
Great start, but not special, or inventive, or difficult.

I think it was very special and, evidently, it was also difficult... no one else seemed to be able to accomplish it.

RedEye
02-14-2006, 04:18 PM
The more I think about this deal, the more I like it. I think an argument can be made that it is better than a longer one (5-years, $60 million) given the present financial situation, the moment in Dunn's career, and the roster situation.

Many posts on Reds Reporter, Reds (and Blues), and this very site have touched on parts of the following arguments, which I've tried to compile in list form so we can look at the whole picture. Some are longer than others, but I hope they all provoke discussion. Thus, without further ado, here are my...

Top Reasons to be positive about Dunn's 3-year contract:

1) The Reds get Dunn in '06 for the price they wanted.

2) Dunn gives up his potential windfall free agent year in '07.

3) Dunn remains a Red for at least two years, but then has a way out if he feels that ownership is not living up to the 'we want to win now' mantra.

4) The Reds keep Dunn for two more years, but they have a way out in case he turns into a latter-day Dave Kingman, as the pessimists suggest. Some strand of common sense sez we should wait to commit long-term money since Dunn has not yet reached elite status. Some may gripe that this 'developmental' stage is our only chance to sign him long-term as a small market team. However, I can easily see another scenario developing where Dunn regresses while AK and/or Mo pass him up in offensive production. In that case, we'd be hamstrung by a huge contract, lose two players we could have signed instead, and lose the money we could have allocated elsewhere (a free agent starter). By holding their mega-deal cards here, I think the Reds are also avoiding potential chagrin later on (committing too much, too soon). We may have actually learned our lesson from the Griffey and Larkin contracts that caused this situation.

5) Dunn is now more tradable than before. Kriv has a much more attractive bargaining chip in case teams (Houston? Seattle? White Sox? Dodgers?) are still interested in trading pitching. This is because they don't have to worry about immediate free agency in 2007 (I'm not sure whether this one is true because the deal might be voided if he is traded... but I think that is only the case for the $13 million of 2008). Kriv has already acknowledged that trading Dunn is still a possibility if the right offer surfaces. It just may be more likely now.

6) The Reds front office finally puts some money on the line, suggesting that they have a 2-year (rather than a 10-year) plan for rebuilding.

7) Dunn has some incentive to keep impressing with his stats since he's got at least one big deal to go (rather than the potential lack of incentive in a bloated, 5-year deal).

8) Dunn is up for a new contract right as Griff rides into the sunset, thus allowing the Reds to slot him into bigger numbers if they deem him worth it at that point.

I'm starting to really think Kriv knows what he's doing. Ditto with Castellini. Optimism is slowly replacing the nausea I felt every time DanO defended another useless middle infield acquisition. Healthy produce is starting to replace the rotten bananas that populated my refrigerator during the Lindner era. :laugh:
I think we might actually be competitive sometime soon! :beerme:

11BarryLarkin11
02-14-2006, 04:42 PM
The best part about the contract is the third year team option.

The team option indicates a couple of things. First, that Dunn isn't miserable in Cincy and dying to get home to Houston. You don't give an organization a team option if you aren't at least somewhat content where you are.

Secondly, it minimizes the chances that Dunn will be dealt. The fact that the option is null and void if Dunn is traded reduces the Reds ability to deal him. Rather, it reduces what they would get for him. If what is gotten in return isn't as valuable, then keeping him around for an extra season looks pretty good.

Essentially, I think the third year team option is a statement by Dunn that he enjoys playing in Cincy and a statement by the Reds that they won't deal him. Dunn doesn't want to be traded and the Reds now have less ability to do so.

Keep him for three years? Or, deal him for a package equivalent to 1-2 years worth of Dunn production?

All in all, I love it. The Reds have Dunn for the next three seasons. It has become harder to move him because of the contractual clause nullifying the deal.

And, that's what I like to hear!

pedro
02-14-2006, 05:10 PM
I like it. Good deal for both sides. Dunn is set for life and the Reds really don't assume much risk vs. the potential reward.

It's probably not a good idea to sign players to more than 3 year contracts these days anyway, although obviously some players are exceptions.

vaticanplum
02-14-2006, 05:45 PM
For Wayne Krivsky on Valentine's Day, Because You Are Worthy

It's true that it's still early
But it seems that things are well
At the very least you have rescued
Our team from the depths of hell

You've signed our sunny Texan
For three more glorious years
And assured us that his strikeouts
Do not deserve our tears

With weeks to go til Op'ning Day,
We have tons of reasons to livesky --
Keep up the good work, our shwinging GM
And we shall all hail the Krivsky!

This is free-form poetry, so it's totally open to the addition to further stanzas. I wrote one for Bode Miller too, but I don't think it's appropriate for a family-friendly board.

RFS62
02-14-2006, 05:47 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Heath
02-14-2006, 05:54 PM
plum, you gotta be bored at work - on top of that the Reds shoes are being polished as we speak.

Try to get out tonight, will ya? ;)

KoryMac5
02-14-2006, 06:05 PM
No ifs ands or buts about it the three year package is a thing of beauty. Not too long in case of injury or poor play. And not too short in case Dunn goes crazy and hits a ton of bombs. And to all you Astro's fans out their who thought you were going to get him. Houston you have a problem.

TeamBoone
02-14-2006, 06:10 PM
And just think, after the next three years, he'll turn 29! He's one of the few whose age doesn't change throughout ST and the season.

vaticanplum
02-14-2006, 06:23 PM
plum, you gotta be bored at work - on top of that the Reds shoes are being polished as we speak.

I've written eight Valentine's poems. EIGHT. I gave up when I realized that I was trying to rhyme "beanie" with "Castellini".

pedro
02-14-2006, 06:26 PM
I've written eight Valentine's poems. EIGHT. I gave up when I realized that I was trying to rhyme "beanie" with "Castellini".

Try using "Chub Feeney"

westofyou
02-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Try using "Chub Feeney"

Or go racist and use Sheeny

Patrick Bateman
02-14-2006, 10:18 PM
And just think, after the next three years, he'll turn 29! He's one of the few whose age doesn't change throughout ST and the season.

ST and the season last 7 months. Therefore, 5/12ths of players birthdays don't occur during the season. Not exactly lottery odds, I'd say.

Heath
02-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Or go racist and use Sheeny

or something out of Kitty's closet - a bikini....

its getting late - good night!

scounts22
02-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Okay. The whole energy of the team is changing.

Lord I hope so!

With all the positive talk I keep getting the feeling I get when I watch
"Major League"...that feeling where you start to...believe...believe that this team COULD just shock the crap out of everyone...

But it could just be because I'm freakin excited that spring training starts tomorrow. :D :beerme:

KearnsyEars
02-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Hey guys, I wanna email castelleni and Krivsky or one of the two and tell them thanks for this move. Anyone have an idea of the best way to get in to contact with one of these gentleman via email? Thanks

KE

Cyclone792
02-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Here's a snippet from BP with some interesting tidbits ...

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4762

Wayne Krivsky hit the the ground running in Cincinnati by taking care of a piece of business the previous regime left unresolved. Yesterday, he signed Adam Dunn to a two-year contract worth $18 million, with an option for 2008 that would pay Dunn $13 million if picked up.

Given that the Reds blew their chance to make a big investment in Dunn after his shaky 2003 season--when he hit .215/.354/.465--this is a pretty decent save. Dunn was a good player even at that point, but his high strikeout rate and terrible batting average kept his perceived value down. It would have been a good gamble to try and lock him up through his arbitration seasons while he was coming off a .215 BA. He still projected well, but that poor ’03 performance might have provided some cost savings over the next few years. After making $445,000 in ’04, his salary jumped to $4.6 million in ’05 and will be $7.5 million in ’06 and $10.5 million in ‘07. Some foresight could have saved the Reds, conservatively, as much as six million dollars over those four years.

Still, the new deal is a pretty good one for the team. They’ll get Dunn’s theoretical peak seasons, ages 26 through 28, for a total of $31 million, with no obligation to keep him as he moves past his peak to the wrong side of the compensation/productivity matrix. The deal illustrates the power of the rules that govern player movement; consider the contract signed by the older, less productive Paul Konerko this winter, worth $12 million a year for five years. Konerko was a free agent able to solicit work anywhere in the game, and as such, commanded a higher salary and a longer commitment than the more valuable Dunn. The ability to prevent competitive bidding for a player’s services for the first six years of his career is the single most valuable weapon in a team’s arsenal.

Running at this from another angle, take a look at Dunn’s PECOTA card. Nate Silver has developed a metric he calls Marginal Value Over Replacement Player (MORP). The number is the value a player will return, expressed as a dollar figure. Dunn is projected to return $38 million over the next three seasons, while making $31 million. The investment in him should be worth $7 million to the Reds in terms of his impact on their on-field performance. Konerko, on the other hand, is projected to return just $17.6 million over the life of his deal, making the investment a loss to the tune of more than $40 million. (White Sox fans will argue that signing Konerko was based on considerations other than performance. Those may be valid, but they’re not $40 million worth of valid.)

The Reds have done a good job of locking up their best player for below-market rates through his peak. Of course, one good move isn’t going to be enough, and signing Dunn doesn’t do anything about their real problem: run prevention. The Reds led the NL in runs scored and Equivalent Average last season, making them legitimately the best offense in the league. They got there thanks to having virtually no lineup holes--no player getting at least 200 PAs had worse than a .257 EqA--and surprisingly strong production up the middle. While Dunn is a legitimate star, a pass through the Reds’ roster reveals more players who seem likely to decline in ’06--Ken Griffey Jr., Felipe Lopez, the wildly productive catchers (Jason LaRue and Javier Valentin)--than improve. This team won’t lead the league in runs scored again, although it should still be comfortably above 800 tallies.

nycredsfan
02-16-2006, 02:42 PM
More from BP:

Then Krivsky goes and completely redeems himself with the three-year contract he gave to Adam Dunn. Joe Sheehan lauded the deal yesterday, but we couldn't resist offering a couple more points of praise. First, let's look at the new contract in the context of Dunn's salary history.

2002 $ 250,000
2003 $ 400,000
2004 $ 445,000
2005 $ 4,600,000
----NEW CONTRACT----
2006 $ 7,500,000
2007 $10,500,000
2008 $13,000,000 or $500,000 buyout

A few highlights:
For 2006 the new contract lets both sides avoid the arbitration room. The Reds filed at $7,100,000 and Dunn's agent filed at $8,950,000. The $7,500,000 Dunn will earn in 2006 is substantially below the mid-point of those two arb offers. This makes sense to some extent--the security of a long-term deal is earned by giving up some dollars--but Dunn really isn't getting all that much security here. Only two years are guaranteed.

The option in 2008 is pathetically small. If Dunn is hurt or loses some effectiveness, there is absolutely no reason for the Reds to pick up that option. The point of a buyout on an option year is to charge a premium to the team for the freedom to get out of a major salary obligation. $500,000 just isn't enough pressure.

Dunn is on pace to enter free agency in the 2007/2008 off-season. That's the winter where Dunn will be entering his age-28 season and would have looked to sign a huge multi-year deal worth tens of millions. If Paul Konerko is worth five years and $60,000,000 this off-season, it's not hard to picture Dunn earning quite a bit more than that in his first free agent contract. To put off that payday for another year, Dunn's agents should have charged Krivsky and the Reds a hefty premium. Instead, they've guaranteed themselves a minimum of $500,000, and a maximum of $13,000,000, which is quite likely less than Dunn will make in any single year of his next big contract.
One can certainly understand the idea that a bird in the hand might be better than two in the bush to Dunn, but it's no exaggeration to say that Krivsky signed a sweetheart of a deal here. He gets cost-certainty, savings, flexibility, and the best years of one of the best hitters in baseball with no serious long-term risk. Little mistakes like Timo Perez and Scott Hatteberg don't matter much when you take down the big pots.
--Tom Gorman

flyer85
02-16-2006, 03:13 PM
when I see this quote

goes and completely redeems himself

all I can think of is

http://www.moviepublicity.com/image_assets/dumbdumber_02.jpg

Cigar2
02-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Good deal for the Reds. Getting back in the swing of thing's in posting more.