PDA

View Full Version : Dunn 2year, 18.5, team option for third year

butlerbulldogs
02-14-2006, 12:08 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2329833

Reds1
02-14-2006, 12:13 AM
Wow! It looks like a 2 year deal to me. I can't see us paying him 13 million, but then again Griffeys contract will be done by then right? Man, that seems like a lot of money. Glad it's done!

remdog
02-14-2006, 12:14 AM
I'm happy with that deal for both sides.

So far, I'm liken' what I've seen from Cast & Kriv.

Rem

Reds1
02-14-2006, 12:19 AM
I like. The more I think of it 13 million might be doable, but we'll see. NIce signing. It feels like we have a new GM

WVRedsFan
02-14-2006, 12:35 AM
For all the griping I've seen on here since the Kullman firing, it sure looks like to me that the new GM has something Dan O'Brien never had--the get 'er done syndrome. IOW's, O'Brien would still be thinking about it while Wayne just goes out and does it. I like that.

The debate will go on about Billy Ball and whether Wayne K is a disciple or not, but I get the feeling he wants to win. And that's the bottom line, isn't it??

Reds1
02-14-2006, 12:39 AM
I will say I think the new owner has a lot to do with it. Not that Dan O was good, but now with a mgmt who wants to win and is involved things are looking up!

KronoRed
02-14-2006, 12:41 AM
An Excellent move by the FO :clap:

First one in years ;)

KearnsyEars
02-14-2006, 12:44 AM
YESSSS!

I am looking into season tickets NOW!

Adam Dunn a red for 3 more years at least. I can't forsee a situation in which he shouldn't be a red for a long, long time!

gm
02-14-2006, 12:52 AM
I can't forsee a situation in which he shouldn't be a red for a long, long time!

"Dunn to Houston...static...we have a problem...static...come in Houston..."

Neo
02-14-2006, 12:55 AM
Not that I want to see him dealt, but with that contract, he could become quite the hot commodity.

TheBigLebowski
02-14-2006, 12:57 AM
Great News!!!

FWIW...rotoworld.com did not like it..

Reds signed first baseman Adam Dunn to a two-year, $18 million contract with a club option for 2008.
Dunn gets salaries of $7.5 million for this season and $10.5 million for 2007. The club has an option for a $13 million salary in 2008, which it can buy out for $500,000. We're not particularly impressed with this for either Dunn or the Reds. With the possibility of a 50-homer season looming, Dunn was foolish to sell his first year of free agency for $13 million, especially when there are teams like the Red Sox and Astros out there that will appreciate his OBP more than the Reds do. And Cincinnati will someday regret not taking this opportunity to lock Dunn up to a true long-term deal. Dunn is just 26, and while he doesn't have much in the way of defensive value, he's probably going to be one of the game's top-10 hitters for at least the next half dozen years. Five years and $60 million would have been perfectly reasonable for both sides. Feb. 13 - 11:08 pm et

cincinnati chili
02-14-2006, 01:03 AM
Dunn was foolish to sell his first year of free agency for $13 million, especially when there are teams like the Red Sox and Astros out there that will appreciate his OBP more than the Reds do. And Cincinnati will someday regret not taking this opportunity to lock Dunn up to a true long-term deal....Five years and $60 million would have been perfectly reasonable for both sides. Feb. 13 - 11:08 pm et

Whine Whine Whine.

I can kinda see the criticism toward Dunn, but the criticism of the Reds is plain silly. This is a very good deal for the Reds. If Adam has a career-ending rodeo injury, the Reds are only guaranteeing $18.5 million.

The Reds get only 2 years of risk and 3 years of benefit.

Excellent deal.

deltachi8
02-14-2006, 01:10 AM
I like, just wish it was longer....but wont complain.

SteelSD
02-14-2006, 01:17 AM
Great News!!!

FWIW...rotoworld.com did not like it..

Reds signed first baseman Adam Dunn to a two-year, $18 million contract with a club option for 2008.
Dunn gets salaries of $7.5 million for this season and $10.5 million for 2007. The club has an option for a $13 million salary in 2008, which it can buy out for $500,000. We're not particularly impressed with this for either Dunn or the Reds. With the possibility of a 50-homer season looming, Dunn was foolish to sell his first year of free agency for $13 million, especially when there are teams like the Red Sox and Astros out there that will appreciate his OBP more than the Reds do. And Cincinnati will someday regret not taking this opportunity to lock Dunn up to a true long-term deal. Dunn is just 26, and while he doesn't have much in the way of defensive value, he's probably going to be one of the game's top-10 hitters for at least the next half dozen years. Five years and $60 million would have been perfectly reasonable for both sides. Feb. 13 - 11:08 pm et

I don't think rotoworld.com has considered the fact that the Reds can still work to re-sign the guy to another three-year deal between now and then and still come in at 60M or less over five years.

As of now, the Reds have Dunn signed for the next two seasons for less than what he wanted and they have a built-in escape clause that doubles as a license to re-negotiate should they and Dunn agree to exercise the buy-out clause in exchange for a longer-term financial committment. On the flip-side, Dunn's set for life and he's virtually guaranteed the 13M in 2008 if he's dealt.

Yes, I wish the Reds had acted sooner. Sure, I'd like the contract to be for a longer period of time but the reality is that both parties to this contract have protected themselves and Dunn now knows that should the Reds keep him he's going to be the focal point of the offense while both parties have now basically said "show me by the end of the 2007 season". That's motivation for both Krivsky (show Dunn that you're a contender) and Dunn (show the Reds that you're worth even more money).

Considering the current scenario, that's one heck of a well-negotiated deal on both sides.

Chip R
02-14-2006, 01:29 AM
Great news! This is the kind of contract I've been advocating, not just for Dunn, for a while now. Give the player a couple three years at a reasonable price and then have a club option after that time and put lots of money on the back end. If that player stinks, you're only out a couple of years and the option lets you get out of it if need be. OTOH, it also lets you deide whether you want to exercise that option if the player is worth it.

The big question is, where's our Astrobuddy at now? :evil:

gm
02-14-2006, 01:35 AM
where's our Astrobuddy at now? :evil:

(at the risk of repeating myself...again)

"Dunn to Houston...static...we have a problem...static...come in, Houston..."

Jpup
02-14-2006, 01:59 AM
Great news! :D

missionhockey21
02-14-2006, 02:03 AM
Happy? More like overjoyed. Let's forget about the terms of the deal, this is all about a statement from the ownership. That RCast is commited to winning and he (and Krivsky) realize the talent that Dunn is. Would I like a 4th year? Sure, but I am in no mood to complain about this and hopefully they will start to market Dunn like the franchise player he should be viewed as.

Gainesville Red
02-14-2006, 02:17 AM
I won't complain about anything keeping Dunn in Cincy. I'm not as "smart" a baseball fan as many here. I don't get tied up in the money, length of contracts, sabermetrics, most of the stats. Not that I don't think they're important, just don't understand most of them or care to understand them. I like the Reds, I like Adam Dunn. Moves that keep Adam Dunn with the Reds are moves okay by me.

flyer85
02-14-2006, 02:19 AM
I homestly think Dunn wasn't interested in signing any longer. I think he wants to see if this team is going to start moving in the right direction versus spinning their wheels that they have done for the last 5+ years.

SirFelixCat
02-14-2006, 02:24 AM
My God...I read this at work w/i 5 mins of marc breaking the news and I could not wait to come home and get everyone's take on this. I think Steel put my thoughts into words perfectly. I am thrilled by both sides on this deal. Sure, we all would like to have seen a 5 yr deal, but after more thought, I think this is/was the best way to go for both sides, and still gives the Reds the chance to lock him up for longer, down the road.

What a great freakin' breath of fresh air both RCast and WK have been. Man, it's really really good to be a Reds fan again. Hats off to the new Reds FO and to Adam Dunn. And yay to us fans...we finally have a FO that seems to have a plan, a direction, and a desire to win. FINALLY!!!:thumbup: :party: :jump: :KoolAid:

:thisyear: ---The beginning!

top6
02-14-2006, 03:45 AM
Great, great news.

It's not that the signing is so great in and of itself - all it does is give us the option to get one more year from Dunn at $13 million. I suspect that is the longest deal Dunn would sign.

What this does mean is that the front office realizes how special Dunn is. They are willing to commit to him. I couldn't stand the idea that the GM thought Dunn was a liability - at the very least, we can least rest assured that the new front office won't let him leave without a fight.

Again, great news.

Topcat
02-14-2006, 04:02 AM
Great, great news.

It's not that the signing is so great in and of itself - all it does is give us the option to get one more year from Dunn at $13 million. I suspect that is the longest deal Dunn would sign.

What this does mean is that the front office realizes how special Dunn is. They are willing to commit to him. I couldn't stand the idea that the GM thought Dunn was a liability - at the very least, we can least rest assured that the new front office won't let him leave without a fight.

Again, great news.

# more years of Dunn and he gets to see how the franchise progresses. Great move by his agent and the Red's. This signing was a STATEMENT that the Reds are going forward instead of burning it down. I love it! Of course I trade him tommorow if a great 4 player for 1 deal is offered :p:

creek14
02-14-2006, 05:36 AM
If Adam has a career-ending rodeo injury...
Yeah, *ride 'em cowboy* has always been my motto. :evil:

doug flynn
02-14-2006, 06:03 AM
Reading all this acclamation here for a front office move, feels more like the Twilight Zone than Redszone. Kinda worried I've entered an altertnate universe.

Ron Madden
02-14-2006, 06:11 AM
I have been a Reds Fan as long as I can remember.

The last five years have been pretty hard to live with.

My loyalty to the players never really changed. It' just that I kinda lost faith in Ownership and the front office.

God knows our pitching still sucks and we have a long way to go but now I feel a spark of HOPE.

membengal
02-14-2006, 06:24 AM
Finally, something proactive that doesn't involve Tony Womack or Rich Aurilia. Man, I am not gonna miss OB.

Nice move for Krivsky and new ownership. That's an understatement.

Caveat Emperor
02-14-2006, 06:31 AM
Sure, I'd like the contract to be for a longer period of time but the reality is that both parties to this contract have protected themselves and Dunn now knows that should the Reds keep him he's going to be the focal point of the offense while both parties have now basically said "show me by the end of the 2007 season". That's motivation for both Krivsky (show Dunn that you're a contender) and Dunn (show the Reds that you're worth even more money).

This is an excellent point, Steel.

With Krivsky working under a 2 year deal and now Dunn working under what amounts to a 2 year deal (with year 3 optional), it basically ties Dunn to Krivsky and allows the latter to make the former the "nucleus" of the ballclub he builds. Further, it gives Krivsky cost-certainty for his premier player for the life of his contract as GM, ensuring that the dollar figure attached to Dunn doesn't balloon due to Adam exceeding his previous performance level and/or markup in the market for his talent.

Krivsky has just made a statement about this franchise, his tenure as GM, and the direction things are taking from here on out.

Raisor
02-14-2006, 07:13 AM
Wicked Awesome

RedsBaron
02-14-2006, 07:34 AM
I don't think rotoworld.com has considered the fact that the Reds can still work to re-sign the guy to another three-year deal between now and then and still come in at 60M or less over five years.

As of now, the Reds have Dunn signed for the next two seasons for less than what he wanted and they have a built-in escape clause that doubles as a license to re-negotiate should they and Dunn agree to exercise the buy-out clause in exchange for a longer-term financial committment. On the flip-side, Dunn's set for life and he's virtually guaranteed the 13M in 2008 if he's dealt.

Yes, I wish the Reds had acted sooner. Sure, I'd like the contract to be for a longer period of time but the reality is that both parties to this contract have protected themselves and Dunn now knows that should the Reds keep him he's going to be the focal point of the offense while both parties have now basically said "show me by the end of the 2007 season". That's motivation for both Krivsky (show Dunn that you're a contender) and Dunn (show the Reds that you're worth even more money).

Considering the current scenario, that's one heck of a well-negotiated deal on both sides.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I totally agree. This contract gives the Reds at least three more years of Dunn, if they desire, and the opportunity to still try to sign him to a longer term contract. If the Reds, against my wishes, decide to try to trade Dunn, this should be a very "tradeable" contract. I would still like to see Dunn signed to about a five or six year deal (after Dunn gets into his early 30s I would then be much more cautious about a long term contract).

OnBaseMachine
02-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Woohoo! This is a great deal for both sides, but it will especially good for the Reds when Dunn belts 140 homeruns over the next three years. So glad to see that the new FO appreciates how special of a player Adam Dunn is. This is the best Reds related news I've heard in six years.

cumberlandreds
02-14-2006, 07:40 AM
Good news! It looks like this organization is moving in right direction with Castellini and Krivsky. I'm all of the sudden getting a better feeling about this season.:)

lollipopcurve
02-14-2006, 07:44 AM
Excellent deal for both sides, I think. Have to give Castellini a lot of credit, and Krivsky, too, for getting something long-term done in a short time. Gotta a functional franchise on our hands now.

StillFunkyB
02-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Wicked Awesome

+infinity....

Joseph needs to change his title to Hooray :castellini: :krivskey:

MrCinatit
02-14-2006, 08:31 AM
well, this is certainly is the best news i've read in quite a while - and a very pleasing surprise. hopefully this ballclub will change course enough during that time to make Dunn to want to stay with this ballclub for even longer.

Chip R
02-14-2006, 09:02 AM
These are not your older brother's Reds. :)

RFS62
02-14-2006, 09:14 AM
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:This contract gives the Reds at least three more years of Dunn, if they desire, and the opportunity to still try to sign him to a longer term contract. If the Reds, against my wishes, decide to try to trade Dunn, this should be a very "tradeable" contract. I would still like to see Dunn signed to about a five or six year deal (after Dunn gets into his early 30s I would then be much more cautious about a long term contract).

Exactly. It's a great move, both functional and symbolic.

Roy Tucker
02-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Cool beans. Good move by KWayne and I echo the kudos to both sides of the deal..

GAC
02-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Got R Dunn!

Red Leader
02-14-2006, 10:00 AM
I don't like it. :p:

Heath
02-14-2006, 10:15 AM
If Rotoworld is against it, then I am for it.

BTW - if you want Astrobuddy - try Reds Live. I think he's one of the few folks with negative reputation.

osuceltic
02-14-2006, 10:40 AM
I like this move. They get Dunn at reasonable market value and lock him up for what amounts to three years. That gives them a chance to make some decisions without feeling under the gun. In other words, if they decide they want to explore trading Dunn for pitching -- and don't think for a second this means they won't do that -- then they can do it on their timetable. And interested teams know they're getting a guy locked into a fair deal that isn't absurdly long. It's not the size of the annual salary that scares teams away, it's the length of the deal. I think this just increases Dunn's market value.

And if they can find other ways to improve the pitching and defense while building around Dunn, fine. Personally, I think that's going to be very, very difficult, but they have a little time to try it now.

KronoRed
02-14-2006, 11:16 AM
I don't like it. :p:
Cub fan :devil:

Chip R
02-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Cub fan :devil:

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 5. Direct personal attacks. ;)

KearnsyEars
02-14-2006, 11:19 AM
I will say this:

I think it was ingenius move on the part of the Reds front office to sign Adam Dunn to this contract now. This was bigger than making a big trade or anything. This is (except for the fact it wasn't longer), the thing Reds fans have been begging for for a long time. For crying out loud it was even my signature! I think now the question is will we use these next 3 years wisely to negotiate a smart LTC with Adam that will keep him a red for his career. I think now you just have to continue to build around him, put him in a lineup where he'll get pitches to hit, and then just add some pitching and young, good arms. Now that we know he isn't the trade bait, I think it's time to put some armory/shields around our greatest knight in the kingdom!

:dunn: Hooray and thumbs up for this.....my favorite red!

KearnsyEars
02-14-2006, 11:29 AM
he isn't going anywhere for pitching.....trust me.

Tony Cloninger
02-14-2006, 12:11 PM
When i saw the ESPN ticker showing this..... i was very surprised and pleased.
I was hoping for AT LEAST a 4 year deal with maybe a 1 year club option...but this is good for now.

Maybe next off-season it will be signing a good No. 1 starter and the hopes we will be talking positive about the Reds ML system and a good draft.

registerthis
02-14-2006, 12:54 PM
What a pleasant surprise this was. I'll simply add my voice to the chorus of others cheering this move.

CougarQuest
02-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Wayne's World!

flyer85
02-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Wayne's World!Schwing

osuceltic
02-14-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm a little less excited about this with the news that the third-year option doesn't apply if he's traded. They've locked him in for two years as far as potential trade partners are concerned -- and that basically was the case anyway.

Of course, I'm one of the few people around here who believe Dunn's greatest value to this franchise is as the trade piece to bring back a major talent influx. I think of every Dunn contract discussion in terms of how it impacts that trade. This one is pretty neutral in that regard.

KronoRed
02-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 5. Direct personal attacks. ;)
:devil:

Matt700wlw
02-14-2006, 03:43 PM
It's nice to have management in place that actually DOES things instead of just talking about things.

So far, I give the Castellini/Krivsky regime a big fat :thumbup:

MikeS21
02-14-2006, 06:14 PM
I'm a little less excited about this with the news that the third-year option doesn't apply if he's traded. They've locked him in for two years as far as potential trade partners are concerned -- and that basically was the case anyway.

Of course, I'm one of the few people around here who believe Dunn's greatest value to this franchise is as the trade piece to bring back a major talent influx. I think of every Dunn contract discussion in terms of how it impacts that trade. This one is pretty neutral in that regard.
Truthfully, Dunn was stuck here for two years anyway. The option year opens the possibility that Dunn will be here in 2008, but certainly does not guarantee it.

As others have said, this gives the Reds some time to negotiate an extension, and more importantly, it also leaves the opportunity for potential trading partners to negotiate with Dunn and his agent in preparation for a trade.

TeamBoone
02-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Just because he's "stuck" here anyway doesn't mean anything in my mind. The Reds might have ended up paying him a whole lot more over those two years.

Plus, this tells me that he wants to be here.

It also gives the Reds time to get on their feet at the helm of the new regime. Hopefully, by the time contract negotiation comes up again, Adam Dunn will think the Reds worthy of extending his contract... with a winner.

Northern Red
02-14-2006, 08:51 PM
I would love to be ecstatic about this deal as the rest have been. However, I can't help but feel he is now more trade bait than before. Now, the question of how much he'll cost over the next couple of years (despite hopefully monstorous seasons with the Reds) is completely out of the equation (if it was there before). Two years seems more like a tradeable commodity to me than a long term commitment. I don't fully see the "it buys time" theory, since, as it was already pointed out, he was here for the next two years, anyway. They could have done another one year deal or just gone to arbitration this year and next. This simply takes unkown cost out of the picture for the next 2 yrs.

I love Adam Dunn, in fact, he is probably my favorite player. I would feel more comfortable with the long-term commitment angle, if this were 4-5 yrs, not 2 that he would be here anyway. While part of me is glad they finally did a deal with Adam, the other part fears his days as a Red are numbered. Of course, I've always been more of a pessimist (especially with the Reds the past many years).

I want to believe like the rest of you, but I lean more towards osuceltic's beliefs at the moment. :dunno:

KearnsyEars
02-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Think positive!!!

Dunn is a Red and will always be a red!

WVPacman
02-17-2006, 01:43 AM
WOW!!! Was it just me or did all of you guys feel we was the Yankees there for a second?? Giving all that doe to a player!!!:D