PDA

View Full Version : Movie Reviews

savafan
02-14-2006, 11:33 PM
How about a thread where we critique movies we've seen recently? Sounds like a good idea to me, so I'm starting it. :D

Here we can tell other posters movies they should see or movies that they should stay away from, because we weren't smart enough to.

First up:

Hero

Starring:

Jet Li
Tony Leung Chiu Wai
Maggie Cheung
Ziyi Zhang
Daoming Chen
Donnie Yen

Directed by:

Yimou Zhang

Savafan rating: 10/10

This is the type of movie that we don't see here in the U.S. anymore. Beautiful cinematography, a great story, haunting score and wonderful performances by all of the above mentioned actors make this one a must see. The DVD provides an English dubbed version as well as original Mandarin with English subtitles (which is the way I watched it). This is the story, told in flashbacks, of how Nameless (Jet Li) defeated three assassins who were plotting to kill the King of Qin in pre-unified China during the time of the five kingdoms. I can't say enough about this film, it truly is a masterpiece of filmmaking that has to be viewed to be appreciated.

savafan
02-14-2006, 11:42 PM
Stir of Echoes

Starring:

Kevin Bacon
Kathryn Erbe
Illeana Douglas
Kevin Dunn
Jennifer Morrison
Zachary David Cope

Directed by:

David Koepp

Savafan rating 8/10

This is a great little ghost story similar to The Sixth Sense but even more frightening in my opinion. Kevin Bacon turns in one of his finest performances in this movie, and Kathryn Erbe, whose only other film I can recall seeing was The Mighty Ducks turns in an equally strong performance playing the wife and mother of a husband and son who seem to see a ghost in their home. Nice little suspenseful film with a few frightening scenes, but overall an enjoyable movie watching experience.

savafan
02-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Young Sherlock Holmes

Starring:

Nicholas Rowe
Alan Cox
Sophie Ward
Anthony Higgins

Directed by:
Barry Levinson

Savan rating: 7/10

Steven Spielberg produced this movie and Chris Columbus wrote it. I recalled enjoying it when I was younger, so I snatched up the DVD for $5.99 and watched it tonight. Still an enjoyable film, although I now find it a bit more predictable than I did when it first came out in 1985. Take the characters of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson and put them into a story that is part Harry Potter and part Indiana Jones, and you get this movie. Fun to watch again, and surprised that I don't recall having seen any of the actors prior to this film or since. Not bad for the $5.99 that I spent on it, and I'm sure that it will get some repeated viewings.

savafan
02-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Troy

Starring:

Brad Pitt
Eric Bana
Orlando Bloom
Sean Bean
Brian Cox
Diane Kruger
Brendan Gleeson
Julie Christie
Peter O'Toole

Directed by:

Wolfgang Petersen

Savafan rating: 7/10

This is an epic the way Hollywood used to make them. Large sets, beautiful cast, beautiful costumes, great battle scenes...what's not to like? The only problems in this movie for me was some of the casting choices. Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom range from wooden to simply unbelievable, but Eric Bana's performance makes up what theirs lacks. Also, you have one race of people that all speak with many different accents. I found that to be a little odd. Overall though, great action, a bit of romance and some drama make for a fun popcorn movie that is pleasing on the eyes.

Heath
02-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Nothing on Curious George????? :dunno:

;)

KronoRed
02-15-2006, 12:48 PM

;)
Survery says...CRAP

;)

Heath
02-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Survery says...CRAP

;)

not to my 6 yr old and 4 yr old who ask me on a daily basis to take them to the movie. :D

savafan
02-15-2006, 12:55 PM

;)

I haven't seen it personally, but my mom, sister and two nieces went and saw it last weekend, and they all said it was a very good film, and my mom and sister were as entertained by it as the girls were.

max venable
02-15-2006, 12:56 PM
We recently watched Red Eye and Just Like Heaven.

My wife and I like both a lot. Red Eye is a psycological thriller by Wes Craven--his first non-horror attempt to my knowledge. Plot was not all that plausible but I usually don't care. Bottom line for me is always: did it entertain me. And this one did. I give it 7 stars out of 10

And Just Like Heaven is a romantic comedy (with Reese Witherspoon). Fun and clever. I'd probably give it 8 stars out of 10.

savafan
02-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Red Eye

Red Eye is in my collection. It was fun, and Rachel McAdams is definately easy on the eyes, plus I think Cillian Murphy is a tremendous up and coming actor. It was a check your brain at the door and have some popcorn thriller, and fairly short. I think it ran an hour and sixteen minutes until the ending credits started to roll.

I'd give it a 6/10.

Oh, and btw max, Wes Craven directed a little film called Music of the Heart starring Meryl Streep as a music teacher a couple years back. Good dramatic film worth checking out as well.

guttle11
02-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Have you seen Waiting yet? If so, thoughts?

max venable
02-15-2006, 01:10 PM
...and Rachel McAdams is definately easy on the eyes...
You got that right!
http://www.autographsuccess.com/rachel_mcadams2.jpg

savafan
02-15-2006, 01:11 PM

I haven't seen this one yet, but perhaps someone else here has.

cumberlandreds
02-15-2006, 01:22 PM
The last movie me and my wife saw at the theater was Tristan and Isolde. Bleh........typical chick flick with the usual ending. It did have an interesting twist to it that made it somewhat bearable. I would give it 4 stars out of ten.

LoganBuck
02-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Just saw Wedding Crashers, I thought it was great for about the first 90 minutes, then it went another 30 and became boring and predictable. Owen Wilson is his typical annoying self, who like his brother Luke, seems to play the same guy in every movie. Vince Vaughn was really funny, and yes Rachel McAdams is easy on the eyes. Christopher Walken is always good. This movie made me laugh out loud often.

Roy Tucker
02-16-2006, 08:30 AM
The wife and I saw "The Matador" over the weekend. It was an unexpectedly good movie. Pierce Brosnan as a hired assassin and Greg Kinnear as a normal guy and an unlikely friendship that springs up in Mexico City. Brosnan was especially good as a burned-out hitman desperate for friendship.

Not an Oscar winner but a good movie. For once, a flick not aimed at the 15-25 crowd that seems to dominate the cineplexes now. I'd recommend it before it leaves the theatres.

TeamCasey
02-16-2006, 09:14 AM
I think someone should critique Alexander.

Red Leader
02-16-2006, 09:30 AM
I think someone should critique Alexander.

Raisor?

savafan
02-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Battle Royale

Starring:

Takeshi Kitano
Tatsuya Fujiwara
Aki Maeda
Taro Yamamoto
Chiaki Kuriyama

Directed by:

Kinji Fukasaku

Savafan rating: 9/10

Wow, this movie just comes at you unflinchingly and abuses your senses. This is the type of movie that Hollywood won't make, because the media would destroy them over it. Here is the plot summary from imdb.com:

At the dawn of the new millennium, Japan is ina a state of near-collapse. Unemployment is at an all-time high, and violence amongst the nations youth is spiralling out of control. With school children boycotting their lessons and physically abusing their teachers, a beleaguered and near-defeated government decides to introduce a radical new measure: the Battle Royale Act Overseen by their former teacher, Kitano ('Beat' Takeshi) and requiring that a randomly chosen school class be taken to a deserted island and forced to fight each other to the death, the Act dictates that only one pupil be allowed to survive the punishment. He or she will return, not as the victor, but as the ultimate proof of the lengths to which the government are prepared to go to curb the tide of juvenile disobedience.
--------------------------------------

This is a breathtaking film to experience, and the performances are all very believable. It's like what the TV show Survivor would be if it was actually about surviving. Each student is given food, a map of the island and a weapon. The weapons aren't just knives and guns though, some of the weapons are as simple as binoculars and pan lids. Friends are pitted against friends in the battle to survive. This is a very hard movie to find, but if you find a copy, I highly recommend watching it. :thumbup:

savafan
02-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Rigoletto

Starring:

Ivey Lloyd
Joseph Paur
Alison Breinholt
Josh Goodwin

Directed by:

Leo D. Paur

Savafan rating: 8/10

One of my favorite movies ever, and a film for the entire family. In fact, my copy came with discussion questions that parents can talk with their kids about. The movie takes place during the depression and centers around a singing contest. At the same time that people's homes are being bought up from the bank, a mysterious stranger with a disfigured face moves to town and sparks fear among the townspeople. One girl makes a connection with the stranger and he tutors her in her music. It's a great film that teaches that beauty is on the inside of people, not in how they appear physically. Highly recommend!

WVRed
02-16-2006, 03:10 PM

I have, and I came away unimpressed.

It kinda ends before it really begins. All around, i'd say it was pretty stupid.

WMR
02-16-2006, 04:38 PM
I have, and I came away unimpressed.

It kinda ends before it really begins. All around, i'd say it was pretty stupid.

I thought it was funny. In a really really dumb sort of way.

I like Ryan Reynolds and he has some really funny moments in this movie although there are definitely a few times when the movie misses the mark.

* * (out of 4)

Redsfaithful
02-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Battle Royale

I read the book. Except for American Psycho it was easily the most violent thing I've ever read.

savafan
02-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Elizabethtown

Starring:

Orlando Bloom
Kirsten Dunst
Susan Sarandon
Bruce McGill
Judy Greer
Paul Schneider

Directed by:

Cameron Crowe

Savafan rating: 6.5/10

This seems to be a movie that people either hate or love. I found it to be a likeable movie that had a lot of heart and covered themes that we are all familar with, those being family, death, and love. Orlando Bloom gives his best film performance to date in this movie, as his character actually seems human and emotional. Kirsten Dunst is as cute and bubbly as ever, and there are cameos by Alec Baldwin and Jessica Biel. There are several stories in this movie, and the one that stood out the most to me was the story of broken relationships between fathers and sons. I especially liked the performance of Paul Schneider who plays cousin Jessie. At the end, my eyes were a little moist. This isn't a movie for everyone, but as far as date movies go, it is enjoyable.

max venable
02-17-2006, 03:52 PM
A couple more of my faves:

Madison (Jim Caveizel)
If you like true sports stories, you'll love this one. It's the Hoosiers of the powerboat racing world. Great family flick (although younger kids (below age 10) won't really track with it). Overall, it's very entertaining and inspirational. Definately worth renting if you're into sports, especially stuff that's based on real-life stories. My rating: 7 stars.

Brokedown Palace
Just a great movie. If you liked Return to Paradise (Vince Vaughn, Anne Heche) you'll like this one. It's a bit slow-moving at times but it sucked me in and had me completely wrapped up in the story line. Great ending. It'll cause you to think. My rating: 7.5 stars.

Luther
Powerful, provocative, entertaining, and educational. It's not just a historical piece that helps one understand Martin Luther, it's a very good movie. My rating: 7 stars.

Red Leader
02-17-2006, 03:57 PM
RFS62 is going to be giving us a real nice write-up on Brokeback Mountain pretty soon.

Sweetstop
02-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Elizabethtown

Starring:

Orlando Bloom
Kirsten Dunst
Susan Sarandon
Bruce McGill
Judy Greer
Paul Schneider

Directed by:

Cameron Crowe

Savafan rating: 6.5/10

This seems to be a movie that people either hate or love. I found it to be a likeable movie that had a lot of heart and covered themes that we are all familar with, those being family, death, and love. Orlando Bloom gives his best film performance to date in this movie, as his character actually seems human and emotional. Kirsten Dunst is as cute and bubbly as ever, and there are cameos by Alec Baldwin and Jessica Biel. There are several stories in this movie, and the one that stood out the most to me was the story of broken relationships between fathers and sons. I especially liked the performance of Paul Schneider who plays cousin Jessie. At the end, my eyes were a little moist. This isn't a movie for everyone, but as far as date movies go, it is enjoyable.

I liked it better than I thought I would, basically because I had low expectations for it. A lot of it was shot really close to where I live (most of it in Versailles, rather than E-town), so I wanted to see it for that reason. For the most part it made Ky. a good place to come home to. I generally like the personal bent of Cameron Crowe's films. Kirsten Dunst is a good, down-to-earth actress and Orlando Bloom was decent.

I thought her idea for his cross-country journey was a good idea, but when in the world did she have time to put all that together? And who can forget Chuck and Cindy?:)

savafan
02-17-2006, 04:10 PM
And who can forget Chuck and Cindy?:)

I know that I never will. :D

LincolnparkRed
02-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Just Saw Assault on Precinct 13 on HBO this weekend.

The movie is pretty cool visually and has some nice eye candy. The plot is terrible and completely unbeleivable. The director has a awful tendency to have almost all characters that die to be shot in the head and then to focus on the head wound. Laurance Fishburne and Ethan Hawke are pretty good and do well together. I would give it a 5/10 just because it is exciting enough to keep your attention but just not realistic enough to make you really like it.

OldRightHander
02-21-2006, 10:21 AM
RFS62 is going to be giving us a real nice write-up on Brokeback Mountain pretty soon.

Actually, it's not that different from many action movies. Somebody's going to get it in the end.

Red Leader
02-21-2006, 11:15 AM
I watched "Proof" with Anthony Hopkins, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Gwenyth Paltrow last night. Somewhat boring. The acting was really good, it just lacked energy from what I normally watch. I'd give it a 6/10.

Also watched Saw II. Just as suspenseful as the original, IMO. Seemed to be a lot more gore in this film. Overall a 7/10 from me on this one. If you liked the original, you'll probably like this one.

RFS62
02-21-2006, 11:29 AM

I give it two thumbs up.

It's more than just gay cowboys.

It's a poignant love story. A sweeping epic set on a grand stage. A period piece that examines the hearts and minds of backwoods hillbilly America spanning two decades.

It's a story of a man and his sheep..... lots and lots of sheep..... more sheep than a Puffy and Josh fantasy.

Gay cowboys.... I think not. It's much, much more than two cowpokes skipping to work.

I delves into the lonliness and isolation of gay life in the 60's and 70's, before coming out of the closet was ever permissable by society.

Beautifully filmed and directed, it makes you examine your prejudices and sensibilities.

Less graphic sex than your typical episode of six feet under.

It's a lot more than the butt of every stand up comic in America's monologue.

max venable
02-21-2006, 12:01 PM
I watched "Proof" with Anthony Hopkins, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Gwenyth Paltrow last night. Somewhat boring. The acting was really good, it just lacked energy from what I normally watch. I'd give it a 6/10.

The wife and I watched it over the weekend. Good review, Red Leader. I thought Gwenyth was outstanding in the film but it was indeed an otherwise slow moving film. Worth watching, I think. I, too, would give it 6 stars out of 10.

savafan
02-21-2006, 01:05 PM
House of Flying Daggers

Starring:

Takeshi Kaneshiro
Andy Lau
Ziyi Zhang

Directed by:

Yimou Zhang

I'm really starting to love Asian movies. I just recently started giving them a chance, and the ones that I've seen have been unbelievably breathtaking. House of Flying Daggers is no exception. This is a political drama/action film/love story. It has all of the elements that at least one will appeal to most anybody. The costumes are gorgeous, the performances are outstanding, the scenery is overwhelming. This movie takes place in 9th century China, during the Tang Dynasty. A captain of the government army breaks a blind female warrior, who is a member of the notorious rebel group House of Flying Daggers, out of jail in hopes that she will lead him to the group's leader. This movie has so many plot twists and stirring moments, that it will leave you on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next. I highly recommend this, along with the previously mentioned movie Hero.

Sweetstop
02-21-2006, 01:27 PM
If you enjoy Asian movies, savafan, I hope you've seen some of the classics...Kurosawa's films in particular.

pedro
02-21-2006, 03:02 PM
I saw "Be here to love me" a biopic about songwriter Townes Van Zandt last week. It was really good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0423853/

savafan
02-22-2006, 10:38 AM
If you enjoy Asian movies, savafan, I hope you've seen some of the classics...Kurosawa's films in particular.

Just saw Seven Samurai a week ago. Amazing film!

flyer85
02-22-2006, 12:22 PM
It's a story of a man and his sheep..... lots and lots of sheep..... more sheep than a Puffy and Josh fantasy.Just not believable. No way two lonely cowboys find each other interesting with all those sheep around.

I say, "give sheep the vote".

Chip R
02-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Just not believable. No way two lonely cowboys find each other interesting with all those sheep around.

I say, "give sheep the vote".
Hey! Take that political stuff elsewhere. ;)

flyer85
02-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Hey! Take that political stuff elsewhere. ;)up here at Possum Lodge there just aren't a lot choices.

Unless you're partial to Harold.
http://www.pbs.org/redgreen/harold.jpg

max venable
02-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Watched Skeleton Key (Kate Hudson) last night. Liked it pretty well until I got to the ending...then I loved it. It's my kinda movie; supense with twists. I like trying to figure things out. If you like movies like The Others and The Sixth Sense, you'll probably like The Skeleton Key.

8 out of 10 stars.

savafan
02-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Watched Skeleton Key (Kate Hudson) last night. Liked it pretty well until I got to the ending...then I loved it. It's my kinda movie; supense with twists. I like trying to figure things out. If you like movies like The Others and The Sixth Sense, you'll probably like The Skeleton Key.

8 out of 10 stars.

Cool, I've been wanting to check this one out, but I hadn't heard any buzz about it until now. I'll definately see it if you liked it that much. :thumbup:

TRF
02-23-2006, 04:48 PM
I just watched "Be Cool" the sequel to "Get Shorty."

Not quite as good as the original, though the Rock is great as the gay bodyguard. 6/10 from me.

Sweetstop
02-25-2006, 07:26 PM
I want to highly recommend The Best Of Youth, the Italian-made mini-series, which was made in 2003 but just recently came out in dvd. It's six hours long and on two discs but is well worth every minute. It's a family saga which takes place from the 60's to 2003 focusing mainly on two brothers.

The cinematography is gorgeous, the actors (all unknown to me) terrific and the storyline poignant and beautiful. Of course, it's in Italian w/ subtitles but please don't let that keep you away. The production values are terrific and better than most anything being made on American film and TV.

Besides all that it's like a travelogue of Italy with locations in Rome, Florence, Turin, Tuscany and Sicily....also some scenes took place in Norway, which is incredibly beautiful.

I hope you will take the time. Your will come to love these characters like family members and be sorry when their story ends.

savafan
02-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Rent

Starring:

Anthony Rapp
Adam Pascal
Rosario Dawson
Jesse L. Martin
Wilson Jermaine Heredia
Idina Menzel
Tracie Thoms
Taye Diggs

Directed by:

Chris Columbus

Wow. I don't know what else to say. Highly energetic, deeply moving, memorable and catchy music. I highly recommend this movie, but be warned, the movie has some deep subject matter.

max venable
03-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Watched Walk The Line last night. And I really wasn't all that impressed. Maybe it's one of those situations where it was over-hyped and thus fell short of my expectations.

For all the love that Joaquin Phoenix is getting, I really didn't see it. I wasn't all that impressed. And his singing was bad. Didn't sound at all like Johnny Cash. Reese Witherspoon, on the other hand, was great.

IMO, Walk The Line is the country music version of Ray: Humble beginnings, childhood tragedy, rough start to career, finally makes it, screws around on wife, gets hooked on drugs, hits rock bottom, finally gets his act together. I mean, isn't that a pretty typical Hollywood life?

4 out of 10 stars.

Johnny Footstool
03-04-2006, 02:25 AM
Million Dollar Baby

SPOILER ALERT

How can a movie go from being a world-class study of relationships to a steaming pile of crap? Try a ridiculous deus ex machina that magically leaves the protagonist paralyzed, then brings her redneck family out of the woodwork to steal the money she earned as a world-class prizefighter. Nothing makes me angrier than a great movie that melts into garbage in the third act. She might as well have turned into a werewolf at the end.

Despite all the Oscar buzz surrounding this movie, it ends up insulting the intelligence of the audience. Do yourself a favor: rent it, then turn it off before Hilary Swank enters the ring for her title fight.

MWM
03-04-2006, 02:49 AM
Rent

Starring:

Anthony Rapp
Adam Pascal
Rosario Dawson
Jesse L. Martin
Wilson Jermaine Heredia
Idina Menzel
Tracie Thoms
Taye Diggs

Directed by:

Chris Columbus

Wow. I don't know what else to say. Highly energetic, deeply moving, memorable and catchy music. I highly recommend this movie, but be warned, the movie has some deep subject matter.

Rent was fantastic, and that's coming from an avid Rent fan long before they decided to make the movie. For the life of me I can't figure out how the hell Chicago did so well at the box office and Rent didn't. Rent is better in every possible way than Chicago, IMO, and I actually like Chicago (owned the Broadway cast album when it first hit back in '97). Rent is one of the few musicals that is appreciated by those not generally into muscial theatre. It's even got a couple of songs avid fans of rock will like. Rent is truly a work of genius, IMO, and is the single defining musical of this generation and perhaps the most important and influential show ever to hit the Broadway stage.

I think many people who don't much care for the genre would actually find that they like Rent.

RedsBaron
03-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Watched Walk The Line last night. And I really wasn't all that impressed. Maybe it's one of those situations where it was over-hyped and thus fell short of my expectations.

For all the love that Joaquin Phoenix is getting, I really didn't see it. I wasn't all that impressed. And his singing was bad. Didn't sound at all like Johnny Cash. Reese Witherspoon, on the other hand, was great.

IMO, Walk The Line is the country music version of Ray: Humble beginnings, childhood tragedy, rough start to career, finally makes it, screws around on wife, gets hooked on drugs, hits rock bottom, finally gets his act together. I mean, isn't that a pretty typical Hollywood life?

4 out of 10 stars.
My wife and I watched "Walk The Line" last night and liked it.
I thought that Joaquin Phoenix did a very good job of portraying Johnny Cash. Phoenix is actually several inches shorter than Cash was in his prime and really doesn't resemble Cash all that much, but I soon forgot that-he really became Johnny Cash. It is true that he didn't sound all that much like Cash when he sang-who could? Early on in the movie, when "Cash" first auditions at Sun Records, Phoenix sounded bad, but then I realized that the real Cash probably didn't sound that great at the start of his career, at an audition. As the film went on, Phoenix's singing improved.
As for Reese Witherspoon, I have no idea if she will receive an Oscar, but she was fantastic. Her portrayal of June Carter was spot on and she sang great. If the real June Carter was like Witherspoon, no wonder Johnny Cash fell in love with her.
I've read that the children of Johnny Cash's first wife are not happy with how she was depicted in the film, but I thought that she was a much more sympathetic figure than was Cash in the movie. Maybe she didn't fully appreciate her husband's talents or the demands placed upon him, but she wasn't the one who cheated and broke up their marriage.
I've also read that Johnny Cash had approved of much of the script before he died and of course Johnny and June's son, John Carter Cash, had input into the film. I found that interesting in that the film really gives you a "warts and all" picture of Johnny Cash. My mother didn't like the movie, and I'm guessing that it because Johnny's imperfections are so clearly shown in the movie.
Johnny's own father comes off as the least likeable person in the whole movie, but maybe that was the way he was.
I was disappointed, but not that surprised, that the movie made little mention of the effect Johnny Cash's Christian faith had on him finally "getting his act together." There is a brief scene of Johnny and June walking to enter a church, but that's it as far as the film showing any effect of his faith in getting him on course. Kris Kristofferson once said that Cash was a "walking contradiction, partly fact and partly fiction," and Cash's faith was no simple matter, but I thought its role could have been more clearly referenced.
I thought that the movie took some liberties in the chronology of the artists at Sun Records, but I was blown away by the thought that there may have been shows put on in 1955 featuring Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash, all on the same bill---man, that would be a show I wish I could have seen.
Eight out of ten stars.:thumbup:

max venable
03-04-2006, 10:49 AM
I was disappointed, but not that surprised, that the movie made little mention of the effect Johnny Cash's Christian faith had on him finally "getting his act together." There is a brief scene of Johnny and June walking to enter a church, but that's it as far as the film showing any effect of his faith in getting him on course.
totally agree there. I watched the movie with some friends and one commented at that point, "Is that supposed to represent his conversion experience?" Right. IMO, that's Hollywood for ya. Poo-pooing--trivializing--probably the most significant part of Johnny's turnaround. :rolleyes: Hollywood just doesn't want to give Christian faith much credit (if any at all).

But then again, if Johnny and his son approved the script....:confused:

savafan
03-04-2006, 12:21 PM
I was disappointed, but not that surprised, that the movie made little mention of the effect Johnny Cash's Christian faith had on him finally "getting his act together." There is a brief scene of Johnny and June walking to enter a church, but that's it as far as the film showing any effect of his faith in getting him on course. Kris Kristofferson once said that Cash was a "walking contradiction, partly fact and partly fiction," and Cash's faith was no simple matter, but I thought its role could have been more clearly referenced.

I've yet to see the movie, but I plan to. This however, is one of the big hangups that I have about it going in.

Caveat Emperor
03-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Just as an aside (because it certainly doesn't deserve more of my attention than that): Ultraviolet might be the worst movie I've ever sat in a theater to watch...and this is coming from a guy who screened somewhere around 50 movies per summer for 4 summers during college and high school. I seriously thought it would be difficult to top the fetrid pieces of crap like The Adventures of Pluto Nash, Cat's & Dogs, or XXX, but this movie did it. A horridly stupid plot, awful dialogue, awful directing, and CGI so badly dated that I was tempted to go upstairs and see if they were streaming the movie off an original PlayStation CD.

If I had paid a dime to see it, there would've been a riot in the lobby after the movie.

savafan
03-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Just as an aside (because it certainly doesn't deserve more of my attention than that): Ultraviolet might be the worst movie I've ever sat in a theater to watch...and this is coming from a guy who screened somewhere around 50 movies per summer for 4 summers during college and high school. I seriously thought it would be difficult to top the fetrid pieces of crap like The Adventures of Pluto Nash, Cat's & Dogs, or XXX, but this movie did it. A horridly stupid plot, awful dialogue, awful directing, and CGI so dated that I was tempted to go upstairs and see if they were streaming the movie off an original PlayStation CD.

If I had paid a dime to see it, there would've been a riot in the lobby after the movie.

Yeah, but Milla was hot right? :evil:

Sweetstop
03-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Ostensibly to get the taste of "Pride and Prejudice" out of his system, my husband is watching the Nicholas Cage gun-seller flick, "Lord Of War." It's god-awful. I had to come in here and talk about P&P to get away from it.

I'm a big P&P fan, especially the book. I've seen the early movie w/ Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier and the A&E miniseries w/ Colin Firth as Darcy. He's incomparable. I bought the new version to go along w/ my "Sense and Sensibility" dvd, which is another("Brokeback Mountain" "The Ice Storm") example of Ang Lee's genius...not to mention Emma Thompson's script. Anyways, the new P&P is sight and sound sumptuous...nominated for Art Direction, Costume Design and Original Score...plus Keira Knightly for Best Actress. She is charmingly good but not good enough for the Oscar. Reese Witherspoon should win that. Donald Sutherland (Mr. Bennett) Brenda Blythen (Mrs. B.) and Judi Dench (Catherine de Bouerg) add some zest and star-power to this version. All in all I'm glad I bought the DVD. It will be worth an occasional viewing. However, my favorite place to visit Elizabeth and Darcy is my dog-earred copy of Jane Austin's novel..."It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife..."

max venable
03-04-2006, 08:48 PM
My wife and I both LOVED P&P (the latest version). I'd watch it again.

8 out of 10 stars.

RedsBaron
03-05-2006, 07:25 AM
I bought a copy of P&P yesterday. My wife wanted it, and I'm curious to see it, but we haven't had an opportunity yet to watch it.

Sweetstop
03-05-2006, 07:49 AM
I bought a copy of P&P yesterday. My wife wanted it, and I'm curious to see it, but we haven't had an opportunity yet to watch it.

Let me know what you think.

cincinnati chili
03-05-2006, 11:34 PM
For the life of me I can't figure out how the hell Chicago did so well at the box office and Rent didn't. .

Star power, I would guess. There's a reason that Zeta-Jones, Zellweger and Gere get 8 figures, per film. It's not fair, but it's life.

I didn't see the movie version of "Rent." Saw the show on broadway. Liked the energy in the music, but found the story a little gooshy for my taste.

cincinnati chili
03-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Saw Capote last night. Entertaining from beginning to end. I read "In Cold Blood" in the 11th grade, and it brought back a lot of memories.

I liked it a lot better than Crash, which just won Best Picture.

Haven't seen the other nominees yet.

pedro
03-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Although I have no doubt that Johnny Cash's religious beliefs were probably a very important part of his recovery, I think sticking to the central theme of redemption though love of another (June) made for more compelling cinema.

I thought it was a fantastic film.

SirFelixCat
03-06-2006, 02:30 AM
Lord of War....very good flick imo.

Ice Harvest...Meh even with a good cast. Worth renting, but slow. The ending was good though.

Red Leader
03-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Saw two movies that have already been discussed in here this weekend.

Elizabethtown: I enjoyed this movie. It was pretty good, although, I would have guessed that the role played by Kirsten Dunst was written more for someone like Reese Witherspoon. It just didn't seem to be a part that Kirsten Dunst would play, but to her defense, she played the part well and the movie was enjoyable enough to watch. I would give it a 7/10 stars.

Red Eye: I am a huge fan of Rachel McAdams. Huge. So maybe my view is a little slanted, but I thought this was a very good movie. I enjoyed it throughout. It was suspenseful, and entertaining. I would give this film an 8/10. Worth watching for sure.

Sweetstop
03-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Lord of War....very good flick imo.

Ice Harvest...Meh even with a good cast. Worth renting, but slow. The ending was good though.

My husband liked "Lord of War" also...one of those guys and guns and war things, I'm sure.

As for "The Ice Storm" I included it in mentioning Ang Lee's particular genius...an ability to make authentic and universal films foreign in time and place to his Taiwanese background ("The Ice Storm" American suburbia in the early 70's, "Sense and Sensibility" England circa the Jane Austen era, and "Brokeback Mountain" gays in Wyoming a generation ago).

savafan
03-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Rent was fantastic, and that's coming from an avid Rent fan long before they decided to make the movie. For the life of me I can't figure out how the hell Chicago did so well at the box office and Rent didn't. Rent is better in every possible way than Chicago, IMO, and I actually like Chicago (owned the Broadway cast album when it first hit back in '97). Rent is one of the few musicals that is appreciated by those not generally into muscial theatre. It's even got a couple of songs avid fans of rock will like. Rent is truly a work of genius, IMO, and is the single defining musical of this generation and perhaps the most important and influential show ever to hit the Broadway stage.

I think many people who don't much care for the genre would actually find that they like Rent.

I think what made the movie version of Rent so amazing was that, aside from Rosario Dawson, Chris Columbus directed the entire Broadway cast in the film. These people had years to get to know these characters, feel them out and make them real.

savafan
03-18-2006, 01:08 AM
Gummo

Starring:

Jacob Reynolds
Nick Sutton
Chloë Sevigny
Carisa Glucksman
Jacob Sewell

Directed by:

Harmony Korine

Savafan rating: ?/10

Okay, so I picked this movie up out of morbid curiosity, because I work a lot in Xenia, and I knew that this movie was supposed to be about the kids in Xenia after the tornado. I'll admit that things in Xenia are a little off, but not as bad as depicted in this film. I don't even know what to say about this movie. I don't even know where to start. I'm not even sure what I saw in this film. This was like the Jerry Springer show come to life. I'm stunned, absolutely stunned. I can't recommend this, because...I just can't.

RedsBaron
03-18-2006, 12:21 PM
I watched a terrific movie last night on DVD. Oh, I had seen it before, but I hadn't watched in a few years. Wonderful cast, great dialogue, beautiful actress, ulitimate "leading man," perfect ending. The "special effects" are nothing special, even cheesey, but hey, the movie was made more than 60 years ago. It is called "Casablanca." Maybe you've seen it.;)

GAC
03-18-2006, 01:53 PM
I watched a terrific movie last night on DVD. Oh, I had seen it before, but I hadn't watched in a few years. Wonderful cast, great dialogue, beautiful actress, ulitimate "leading man," perfect ending. The "special effects" are nothing special, even cheesey, but hey, the movie was made more than 60 years ago. It is called "Casablanca." Maybe you've seen it.;)

We watched Underworld last night. I was told you had a "thing" for Kate Beckinsale. Did I tell you that my sister-in-law could be her twin? ;)

I liked her in Van Helsing.

http://www.cinema.com/image_lib/8026_vna005_thumb.jpg

Just watched Walk The Line. Good movie.

I watched Outlaw Josie Wales and Rio Bravo late last night when I couldn't sleep.

We were at the video store last night and I had Crash and Lord Of War in my hand and put'em back on the rack. One of these days I'll see them.

GAC
03-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Red Eye: I am a huge fan of Rachel McAdams. Huge. So maybe my view is a little slanted, but I thought this was a very good movie. I enjoyed it throughout. It was suspenseful, and entertaining. I would give this film an 8/10. Worth watching for sure.

That is a good movie. Watched it again last night.

creek14
03-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Gummo

Starring:

Jacob Reynolds
Nick Sutton
Chloë Sevigny
Carisa Glucksman
Jacob Sewell

Directed by:

Harmony Korine

Savafan rating: ?/10

Okay, so I picked this movie up out of morbid curiosity, because I work a lot in Xenia, and I knew that this movie was supposed to be about the kids in Xenia after the tornado. I'll admit that things in Xenia are a little off, but not as bad as depicted in this film. I don't even know what to say about this movie. I don't even know where to start. I'm not even sure what I saw in this film. This was like the Jerry Springer show come to life. I'm stunned, absolutely stunned. I can't recommend this, because...I just can't.
Now you have piqued my interest, Sava.

I was 18 when the tornado hit Xenia. I was working in Xenia when it hit. What you see now is nothing like it was pre-tornado. Nothing. Then when you add in the mess the school system is in, it's just sad to remember where it was and where it is now.

GAC
03-18-2006, 02:18 PM

I was 18 when the tornado hit Xenia. I was working in Xenia when it hit. What you see now is nothing like it was pre-tornado. Nothing. Then when you add in the mess the school system is in, it's just sad to remember where it was and where it is now.

I remember driving thru Xenia just days after it hit. The trees told the horror. Scary images to say the least.

RedsBaron
03-18-2006, 07:46 PM
We watched Underworld last night. I was told you had a "thing" for Kate Beckinsale. Did I tell you that my sister-in-law could be her twin? ;)

I liked her in Van Helsing.

http://www.cinema.com/image_lib/8026_vna005_thumb.jpg

Just watched Walk The Line. Good movie.

I watched Outlaw Josie Wales and Rio Bravo late last night when I couldn't sleep.

We were at the video store last night and I had Crash and Lord Of War in my hand and put'em back on the rack. One of these days I'll see them.
Who told you I "had a thing" for Kate Beckinsale? Whoever told you that....told you correctly.;) She is....nice.:evil: Natalie Wood:luvu: is my all time favorite actress, but Kate is.......very, very nice, especially in her "Underworld" outfit. ;) Your sister-in-law could be her twin? Does she wear latex too?:)
"Walk The Line" is a good film; Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon were great. "The Outlaw Josey Wales" is my favorite Clint Eastwood movie. "Rio Bravo" is one of my favorite John Wayne westerns, but I actually preferred its remake of "El Dorado", which had Robert Mitchum and James Caan co-starring with the Duke.

Sweetstop
03-19-2006, 12:32 AM
You learn something new every time you check out RedsZone. Examples just on this page: Casablanca is probably RB's all-time favorite movie. Natalie Wood is his all-time favorite actress, and he is hot for Kate Beckinsale. Who knew! ;)

RedsBaron
03-19-2006, 07:57 AM
You learn something new every time you check out RedsZone. Examples just on this page: Casablanca is probably RB's all-time favorite movie. Natalie Wood is his all-time favorite actress, and he is hot for Kate Beckinsale. Who knew! ;)
You have just illustrated why no one should miss a day at RedsZone.;)

Raisor
03-19-2006, 09:00 AM
I saw "V FOR VENDETTA" last night with the wife. She hated it, I thought it was ok.

It was adapted by the Wachowski brothers, so you know there was quite a bit of incoherent babbling.

The action stuff was fine. Couple times we get to see "bullit time", so the whole thing was in the Matrix, I guess.

Ok, not really, but still...

Betterread
03-19-2006, 10:25 AM
I just saw "a history of violence"
starring Viggo Mortenson, Maria Bello, William Hurt and Ed Harris (the last two play philadelphia gangsters)
directed by David Cronenberg

This movie was intense with physical violence that is viscerally filmed. Cronenberg really makes you aware of how vulnerable the human body is.
At times I thought this movie was really intense, then at others I thought the acting and dialogue were laughably stereotypical (was this supposed to be intentional?).
End review: A thought provoking meditation (!) on the effects of violence and human identity. While somewhat clinical in its storytelling and unimaginative in its dialogue and setting, its worth viewing.

Sweetstop
03-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Thumbs up for Jim Jarmusch's (1986) "Down by Law" Terrific performances by Tom Waits, John Lurie and Roberto Benigni (and his wife Nicoletta Braschi) Good black-and-white cinematography of New Orleans and surrounding Louisiana swamps. Like most of Jarmusch's films it lingers along, but this is a different, very funny, and ultimately, sweet look at 3 down-on-their-luckers escaping from a New Orleans jail. See and laugh.

Johnny Footstool
03-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Dead End (2003)

An interesting departure from the standard "scare 'em" horror/mystery/thriller. A family takes a shortcut on the way to grandma's house on Christmas Eve, and bad things happen. There isn't much blood, and there are very few "scary" moments, but the film creates an atmosphere of tension that keeps you interested. Your imagination fills in the blanks.

The story is slowly paced (by design), and the action scenes are few and far between, but the script is pretty intelligent and funny, and the performances are fantastic. Lin Shaye as the mother is incredible.

There are a few story elements (like the ending) that might frustrate viewers, but if you enjoy "spooky" flicks like "Jacob's Ladder", you'll enjoy this movie.

7/10

Falls City Beer
03-19-2006, 04:14 PM
An Angel at my Table
Heavenly Creatures--early non-monster movie Peter Jackson--amazing movie.
Edward II--Derek Jarman directed

GAC
03-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Who told you I "had a thing" for Kate Beckinsale? Whoever told you that....told you correctly.;)

I could never squeal on a friend or source. :lol:

Natalie Wood:luvu: is my all time favorite actress

Oh yeah, I liked Natalie too. Two other favorites of mine were Joey Heatherton and Elke Sommer. I'll never admit they could act though. ;)

"Walk The Line" is a good film; Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon were great.

It was a very good movie. I read a review the other day though where one critic thinks they "downplayed" his faith too much (which Johnny himself credits with saving his life).

"The Outlaw Josey Wales" is my favorite Clint Eastwood movie. "Rio Bravo" is one of my favorite John Wayne westerns, but I actually preferred its remake of "El Dorado", which had Robert Mitchum and James Caan co-starring with the Duke.

One of my objectives is to replace my Eastwood/Wayne collection. I actually find alot of them in bargain bins. But I agree that the remake with Mitchum and Caan was better. Rickey Nelson's character in the first one was pretty hokey.

I can't believe I left Mel Gibson off my list. He is definitely one of my favorite actors in the last decade. I just watched Braveheart again today - excellent flick. But I loved Patriot and We Were Soldiers (not to mention the Lethal Weapons series).

RedsBaron
03-19-2006, 07:55 PM
I could never squeal on a friend or source. :lol:

Obviously you are a person of character who can be trsuted to keep a secret.

Oh yeah, I liked Natalie too. Two other favorites of mine were Joey Heatherton and Elke Sommer. I'll never admit they could act though. ;)

I can't recall if I ever watched either of them in anything. I primarily remember Heatherton from her mattress commecials and from her being married to Lance Rentzel.

It was a very good movie. I read a review the other day though where one critic thinks they "downplayed" his faith too much (which Johnny himself credits with saving his life).
"Walk The Line" definitely downplayed Cash's faith.

One of my objectives is to replace my Eastwood/Wayne collection. I actually find alot of them in bargain bins. But I agree that the remake with Mitchum and Caan was better. Rickey Nelson's character in the first one was pretty hokey.
And while I like Dean Martin, Mitchum was a better actor.

I can't believe I left Mel Gibson off my list. He is definitely one of my favorite actors in the last decade. I just watched Braveheart again today - excellent flick. But I loved Patriot and We Were Soldiers (not to mention the Lethal Weapons series).
I loved those films as well. I realize that both "Braveheart" and "The Patriot" have historical inaccuracies, but I loved them anyway.
I now see most of my comments are inserted into GAC's post as if they were originally posted by him....oh well.

savafan
03-19-2006, 08:37 PM

You may find it interesting then. It's an art film with no real plot direction, but some very memorable scenes.

Redsfaithful
03-19-2006, 08:58 PM
I saw "V FOR VENDETTA" last night with the wife. She hated it, I thought it was ok.

It was adapted by the Wachowski brothers, so you know there was quite a bit of incoherent babbling.

The action stuff was fine. Couple times we get to see "bullit time", so the whole thing was in the Matrix, I guess.

Ok, not really, but still...

I thought it was amazing. Best movie I've seen in quite a while.

savafan
03-19-2006, 11:22 PM
The Notebook

Starring:

Ryan Gosling
Rachel McAdams
James Garner
Gena Rowlands
Sam Shepard
Joan Allen
James Marsden

Directed by:

Nick Cassavetes

The best date movie of this generation. I tend to be a sentimental guy. I cry a lot. This movie ranks in my top 3 all time cry movies with Terms of Endearment and Love Story. This may be the best love story ever put to film. The performances are great. Of course, Rachel McAdams is one of my all-time favorite actresses, so my opinion may be a bit biased. This is a great movie for couples. If you are feeling insecure in your relationship right now, watch this movie...it will make you remember why you fell in love in the first place. Highly recommended.

savafan
03-19-2006, 11:24 PM

My favorite movie of all-time, with my second favorite being "To Have and Have Not". Humphrey Bogart is my all-time favorite actor.

savafan
03-19-2006, 11:35 PM
The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

Starring:

Aaron Stanford
Kathleen Quinlan
Vinessa Shaw
Emilie de Ravin
Dan Byrd
Robert Joy
Ted Levine

Directed by:

Alexandre Aja

Savafan rating: 9.5/10

After seeing The Fog remake, I was hesitant to watch any more horror films starring members of the cast of the TV show "Lost". However, since this was directed by Aja, who also directed "High Tension" (one of my favorite newer horror movies...I believe I started a thread about it after I saw it), I decided to give this one a chance. I'm glad I did. Gritty and raw, this movie is merciless toward it's characters and the viewer. This is a great old fashioned horror movie with intelligence and scares. Can't wait to get the DVD!

savafan
03-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Starring:

Johnny Depp
Freddie Highmore
David Kelly
Helena Bonham Carter
Deep Roy

Directed by:

Tim Burton

Savafan rating: 8/10

I put off seeing this movie, because I'm a huge fan of the Gene Wilder "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" film. I regret now that I waited so long to see this. I regard Johnny Depp as one of the best of our modern day actors. His portrayal of Willy Wonka is hilarious. The kids are all great. As a fan of the Roald Dahl novel, this film is closer to that book than the original Wilder picture. This movie is great fun, and the appearances of Christopher Lee as Wonka's dad were fantastic. A great movie for families, or children or adults to enjoy on their own.

Caveat Emperor
03-20-2006, 12:03 AM
I just saw "a history of violence"
starring Viggo Mortenson, Maria Bello, William Hurt and Ed Harris (the last two play philadelphia gangsters)
directed by David Cronenberg

This movie was intense with physical violence that is viscerally filmed. Cronenberg really makes you aware of how vulnerable the human body is.
At times I thought this movie was really intense, then at others I thought the acting and dialogue were laughably stereotypical (was this supposed to be intentional?).
End review: A thought provoking meditation (!) on the effects of violence and human identity. While somewhat clinical in its storytelling and unimaginative in its dialogue and setting, its worth viewing.

I found A History of Violence to be a dreadfully dull and souless film that really failed to captivate me in any real sense. The movie seemed to drift aimlessly and ended up being less about "Violence" in my mind and more about the idea that you cannot change who you are and cannot run from your past for too long -- a subject other movies have tackled with much more grace and intelligence than this one.

Really a pity too -- I think William Hurt and Viggo Mortensen are terrific actors, and I think Cronenberg can make a good film, but this just didn't come together for me. One of the biggers disappointments I had at the box office last year (in terms of wanting a movie to be good and then being let down) -- right up there with Broken Flowers and The War of the Worlds.

Gainesville Red
03-20-2006, 01:16 AM
Soon all anyone will want to talk about is Snakes On A Plane. We will only review Snakes On A Plane over and over again. All prior movies will feel inadequate about themselves. The brilliance of Snakes On A Plane will be the measuring stick of all future movies. And they will pale in comparison. This generation's Star Wars. Oscars will be re-named "Snakes On A Plane".

Russell Crowe: "Hey Clooney, How many Snakes On A Plane did you win this year?"

Clooney: "Nobody got any, they gave them all to Samuel L. Jackson again for his work on Snakes On A Plane 15 years ago."

(Seriously, go check out the trailor in the other thread)

RedsBaron
03-20-2006, 06:42 AM
The Notebook

Starring:

Ryan Gosling
Rachel McAdams
James Garner
Gena Rowlands
Sam Shepard
Joan Allen
James Marsden

Directed by:

Nick Cassavetes

The best date movie of this generation. I tend to be a sentimental guy. I cry a lot. This movie ranks in my top 3 all time cry movies with Terms of Endearment and Love Story. This may be the best love story ever put to film. The performances are great. Of course, Rachel McAdams is one of my all-time favorite actresses, so my opinion may be a bit biased. This is a great movie for couples. If you are feeling insecure in your relationship right now, watch this movie...it will make you remember why you fell in love in the first place. Highly recommended.
I agree-great film. The scenes featuring Ryan Gosling's and Rachel McAdams's courtship and romance are good, but the most memorable scenes IMO are those featuring James Garner and Gena Rowlands.

GAC
03-20-2006, 08:59 AM
I loved those films as well. I realize that both "Braveheart" and "The Patriot" have historical inaccuracies, but I loved them anyway.

Definitely alot of historical inaccuracies. But when has Hollywood not taken liberties for the sake of the movie? ;)

A buddy of mine said that the Patriot movie was basically based on Gen. Francis Marion (the Swamp Fox)(remember the old Disney series with Leslie Nielsen?)

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/swamp-fox.jpg

I now see most of my comments are inserted into GAC's post as if they were originally posted by him....oh well.[/QUOTE]

Red Leader
03-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Has anyone seen Lords of Dogstown. Interested in a review on this movie from some RZ'ers.

I, too, am interested in checking out Gummo. I was just 2-3 when the Xenia tornado hit, but I have an aunt/uncle and a cousin that lived 1 block from where the tornado touched down. Their house remained standing...you could walk out their backdoor and see destruction for miles and miles.

RedsBaron
03-20-2006, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=GAC]Definitely alot of historical inaccuracies. But when has Hollywood not taken liberties for the sake of the movie? ;)

A buddy of mine said that the Patriot movie was basically based on Gen. Francis Marion (the Swamp Fox)(remember the old Disney series with Leslie Nielsen?)

/QUOTE]
I have read that Mel Gibson's character in "The Patriot" was originally supposed to be Marion, but Gibson had already taken some grief over the historical inaccuracies regarding William Wallace in "Braveheart." When the film's producers learned of some of the less-than-admirable qualities (to put it mildly) of Marion, such as his treatment of slaves, the decision was made to make Gibson's character a fictional person. Even then, there were historical inaccuracies in "The Patriot." George Washington did not declare that any slave giving one year of military service would gain his freedom. The British apparently never torched any churches with people inside, although I have read that British troops did burn empty church buildings.

LoganBuck
03-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Finally saw "Napolean Dynamite", and it must be a love it or hate it movie, because I hated it. I didn't laugh the entire movie, other than when the cow got shot.

TRF
03-21-2006, 03:00 PM
I watched Crash last week.

all I could say at the end was wow. There are few movies that "stay" with me. This was one of them.

GAC
03-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Rented the 30th anniversary edition of Blazing Saddles. One of the greatest comedies ever made IMO.

OldRightHander
03-21-2006, 08:35 PM
I really enjoy historical films, even when they contain small inaccuracies from time to time. I saw The Great Raid in the theater and liked it well enough to want to purchase it. So when it came out recently on DVD, the only copies I saw in stores were full screen. Finally I asked about that and was told that it was only released in full screen. So I'm still holding out in the hope that a wide screen version is released sometime in the near future. You would think they wouldn't want to limit potential DVD sales by only releasing it in one format.

That brings up another question. Do most of you care one way or the other about the format of a DVD? I will only buy widescreen versions because I want to see the film the same way it was originally created, not some chopped up version with part of the picture missing. I just got finished trying to explain to my wife that you're not "missing something" when the picture doesn't fill the top and bottom of the screen.

RedsBaron
03-21-2006, 08:55 PM
I really enjoy historical films, even when they contain small inaccuracies from time to time. I saw The Great Raid in the theater and liked it well enough to want to purchase it. So when it came out recently on DVD, the only copies I saw in stores were full screen. Finally I asked about that and was told that it was only released in full screen. So I'm still holding out in the hope that a wide screen version is released sometime in the near future. You would think they wouldn't want to limit potential DVD sales by only releasing it in one format.

That brings up another question. Do most of you care one way or the other about the format of a DVD? I will only buy widescreen versions because I want to see the film the same way it was originally created, not some chopped up version with part of the picture missing. I just got finished trying to explain to my wife that you're not "missing something" when the picture doesn't fill the top and bottom of the screen.
I wanted to see "The Great Raid" when it was in theaters and I've been meaning the rent the DVD.
I definitely prefer widescreen.

RedsBaron
03-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Rented the 30th anniversary edition of Blazing Saddles. One of the greatest comedies ever made IMO.
Mel Brooks's best.

NoCalRed
03-21-2006, 09:27 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BOH8UA/ref=imdbpov_dvd_0/002-8833707-4946452?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

try that 2.40:1

OldRightHander
03-21-2006, 09:37 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BOH8UA/ref=imdbpov_dvd_0/002-8833707-4946452?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

try that 2.40:1

Thanks. Looks like a winner.

Sweetstop
03-21-2006, 11:23 PM

Turner Classic Movies periodically runs a little piece about the Letterbox format with different directors discussing what it is and its merits. If you get TCM have your wife try to catch it sometime.

Movies really should never be shown any other way, since, like editing, it is changing the art of the filmmaker.

savafan
03-22-2006, 02:58 AM
I'm a widescreen only kind of guy. Even before DVDs, I would spend $25 to $30 for VHS widescreen versions.

I do kind of like when DVDs come in a dual layer with one side widescreen and one side pan and scan format, since my family prefers P&S and I prefer widescreen. I don't know why all films aren't done that way instead of having two different formats released.

WMR
03-22-2006, 01:37 PM
The Notebook

Starring:

Ryan Gosling
Rachel McAdams
James Garner
Gena Rowlands
Sam Shepard
Joan Allen
James Marsden

Directed by:

Nick Cassavetes

I found The Notebook terribly cliched and formulaic. Sappy.

As for Crash:
No way that movie deserved the best movie oscar. OKAY: We get it! Racism is bad! I've never seen such heavy-handed 'message-giving.' The acting was good...

TRF
03-22-2006, 03:05 PM
You missed the point of Crash. It was never about Racism being bad. It was about most if not all people on some level are racists, and that there are some places even the hardest racist won't go. The scene with the little girl running to her dad with her "invisible cloak" was amazing. My wife and I were in tears.

GAC
03-22-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm gonna have to check out the Great Raid. Those are the type of movies I like.

Another movie that I just saw again, and really enjoyed, was "Enemy At The Gates", the true story of a duel during World War II between celebrated Russian sniper, Vassili Zaitsev, and the Nazi's best sharpshooter, Major Konig, set against the epic battle of Stalingrad.

Good flick.

Betterread
03-22-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm gonna have to check out the Great Raid. Those are the type of movies I like.

Another movie that I just saw again, and really enjoyed, was "Enemy At The Gates", the true story of a duel during World War II between celebrated Soviet sniper, Vassili Zaitsev, and the Nazi's best sharpshooter, Major Konig, set against the epic battle of Stalingrad.

Good flick.

The movie was "inspired by" the accounts of Zaitsev, who definitely existed and was definitely the beneficiary of serious Soviet propoganda. As for his German counterpart, there is great debate over whether the legendary WWII German sniper that was sent to Stalingrad to dispatch of Vasili Zaitzev was Konig, Thorvald, or even whether he existed at all. In fact in the actual Soviet war records, it originally showed up as a Maj. Erwin Konig, which is in fact a very basic and plain German Name at the time. In Vasili Zaitsev's war memoirs, he later refers to him as Heinz Thorvald, which was yet another popular German name in that time period. Thorvald seems to be the name that is used more now, and its confusing as to which it was, and if they were the same person, or one was a mistake, or wether the German Super Sniper was fabricated by the Soviet press to represent the German army, or German snipers on a "whole", and that the story was just a means of providing morale for the Soviet troops. The two names are on official Soviet war records, but there is no record of either name in the German record books (not to say they couldn't have removed the name to save grace). Any way you look at it, its confusing and debatable. In regards to Vasili Zaitsev, there is no doubt he existed, and was a very accomplished and successful sniper.

WMR
03-23-2006, 12:14 AM
You missed the point of Crash. It was never about Racism being bad. It was about most if not all people on some level are racists, and that there are some places even the hardest racist won't go. The scene with the little girl running to her dad with her "invisible cloak" was amazing. My wife and I were in tears.

I thought that scene was great, too. I just think Hollywood took the easy way out in giving the Best Picture award to Crash over Brokeback... I've seen enough movies on racism.

Everybody's racist, I agree that's a central theme but I think the overall message is definitely an indictment of the evils of racism.... which I've seen enough of.

Red Leader
03-23-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm going to see Ice Age 2 on the 31st with my kids. I'll provide a review shortly after...

03-23-2006, 09:37 AM

Maybe I am a video snob, but if the video store only has DVDs left that are full screen, I take a pass and get something else. Not even interested in fullscreen.

OldRightHander
03-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Maybe I am a video snob, but if the video store only has DVDs left that are full screen, I take a pass and get something else. Not even interested in fullscreen.

That's me as well. My wife wanted to see March of the Penguins and she sent me to the rental place the other day to get it. I came home empty handed because they only had full screen copies on the shelf. I went back the next day when someone brought back a widescreen copy. She wasn't too thrilled, but it was worth waiting an extra day to see it right.

Sweetstop
03-23-2006, 05:33 PM
That's me as well. My wife wanted to see March of the Penguins and she sent me to the rental place the other day to get it. I came home empty handed because they only had full screen copies on the shelf. I went back the next day when someone brought back a widescreen copy. She wasn't too thrilled, but it was worth waiting an extra day to see it right.

I love March of the Penguins. What they go through is almost unbelievable. I gave it to my husband for Christmas and am glad I sprang for a copy.

Reds Fanatic
03-25-2006, 04:03 PM
I just saw Inside Man with Denzel Washington, Clive Owen and Jodie Foster. The movie is directed by Spike Lee. I thought it was a really good movie. Very good acting from Denzel and the rest of the cast. The movie really holds your attention throughout the movie. I highly recommend this movie.

Larry Schuler
03-25-2006, 04:31 PM
I thought Crash was painfully obvious and melodramatic. The writer should have used more subtlety to convey the film's main idea, the effect would have been greater if he had. A cave man who speaks no english and has vision out of only one eye could pick up on the surface level look at racism among & betwen every class & race.

TRF
03-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Pheh. The point of Crash was to show how many people that didn't think of themselves as racist actually had racist thoughts and actions, while showing an obvious racist can rise above that when the situation merits it.

Great film.

Sweetstop
03-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Pheh. The point of Crash was to show how many people that didn't think of themselves as racist actually had racist thoughts and actions, while showing an obvious racist can rise above that when the situation merits it.

Great film.

I'm going to weigh in on the side of Crash one more time here. Besides this wonderful TRF observation, the film does something else. Characters discuss the problem, and yes, it still is a big problem. They discuss it long and hard and from all angles and points of view. It was made for almost nothing by people who thought it was important to be made, and they were right.

GAC
03-27-2006, 08:40 PM
King Kong comes out tommorrow on DVD. My 10 yr old has been counting the days.

I found this website for any John Wayne buffs. Good deals...

www.johnwayneondvd.com

beb30
03-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Crash was an excellent Movie, and i believe the Notebook is def the best romantic/date movie maybe ever (or at least that i have ever seen).

I plan on picking up King Kong tonight after classes, that movie was amazing.

TRF
03-28-2006, 11:52 AM
The Chroni - WHAT! -cles of Narnia comes out April 4. I'll be getting that for the kids that day. Anyone got a review?

savafan
03-28-2006, 12:08 PM
The Chroni - WHAT! -cles of Narnia comes out April 4. I'll be getting that for the kids that day. Anyone got a review?

Saw it in the theater. It was amazing. The special effects were very well done, and the performances weren't too bad either.

RedsBaron
03-28-2006, 12:35 PM
My wife and I took our sons (ages 15, 13 and 8) to see it last December. We all liked it.

max venable
03-28-2006, 01:04 PM
We took our two oldest kids to see it (10 and 7). And they liked it a lot. And so did I. I can't say enough good things about it.

I give it 8 out of 10 stars. :thumbup:

savafan
03-29-2006, 01:58 AM
King Kong comes out tommorrow on DVD. My 10 yr old has been counting the days.

Watched it last night. Amazing movie. 10/10. Peter Jackson shows that he is a fan of the classic monster movie the way he made this. Very reminiscent of the way Hollywood used to make these type of movies, only with more realistic special effects.

Sweetstop
03-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Watched it last night. Amazing movie. 10/10. Peter Jackson shows that he is a fan of the classic monster movie the way he made this. Very reminiscent of the way Hollywood used to make these type of movies, only with more realistic special effects.

Saw it in a theater. It was big-screen worthy.

cincinnati chili
03-29-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm siding with Wily Mo and the dissenters on Crash. By far, I thought that the stuff with the locksmith and his daughter was the most powerful vignette of them all. But generally, I thought the movie was on the level of tepid so-so TV drama.

I didn't buy the Sandra Bullock and Brendan Fraser characters. Way too over the top.

I think I posted a critique of Crash earlier in the thread, by a blogger, which delves deeper into the racism issues. But basically, there are so many characatures in the the movie (that the vast majority of moviegoers can't identify with), that it's nearly impossible to learn anything about our own personal prejudices, intolerance, and fears.

I actually think we need more movies dealing with racism and culture clashes. But not like this.

max venable
03-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Have you guys seen The Count of Monto Cristo?

GREAT movie. Easily in my top 5 favorites of all-time.

savafan
03-30-2006, 09:58 AM

The Jim Cavaziel version with Richard Harris? Great movie, you are correct.

max venable
03-30-2006, 10:03 AM
That's the one. :thumbup:

OldRightHander
03-30-2006, 11:58 AM

I own that one and have watched it countless times. One of my favorites, even if the ending did differ somewhat from the book.

savafan
03-30-2006, 12:14 PM
I own that one and have watched it countless times. One of my favorites, even if the ending did differ somewhat from the book.

True, but not to get on the topic of religion...I liked the movie's ending. ;)

max venable
03-30-2006, 12:26 PM
True, but not to get on the topic of religion...I liked the movie's ending. ;)
GREAT ending! Great movie! In fact, I think I need to add it to my collection.

Sweetstop
04-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Big thumbs up for small indy pic The Squid And The Whale, written and directed by Noah Baumbach, produced by Wes Anderson, starring Jeff Daniels and Laura Linney.

Red Leader
04-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Ok, two movies to add.

Ice Age 2: Saw it the day after it came out. Both of my kids took 15-20 minutes each in the bathroom, so I missed about 35 minutes of the movie. Overall, it was a pretty good. I enjoyed it. I really, really liked the first one, so it was good to see these characters again. Not as great of a concept as the original, and IMO, not as funny, but still worth seeing. I'd give it a 7 out of 10 stars.

Derailed: This is a Jennifer Aniston movie. I typically don't like Jennifer Aniston movies (although I really like Jennifer Aniston and I liked Bruce Almighty). Anyway, wasn't expecting much with this movie, and I really, really liked it. Was very suspenseful, and was good from beginning to end. I would recommend it to anyone that hasn't seen it yet or has by-passed it thinking that it wouldn't be a good movie. I'd give it 8 out of 10 stars.

nycredsfan
04-10-2006, 12:04 PM
I agree with the thumbs up for the Squid and the Whale. It has some of the funniest lines that I can remember. I would also recommend the new film Thank You For Smoking. It is really good.

Sweetstop
04-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Noah Baumbach made very funny and very real the heartbreaking story of a family breaking apart in The Squid and the Whale.

About family and trying to escape one's past, A History Of Violence (Viggo Mortensen, Maria Bello, the exceptional John Hurt, Ed Harris) scarily portrays both the good and the evil man is capable of...a haunting film.

Another family story, Proof (Gwyneth Paltrow, Anthony Hopkins, Jake Gyllenhaal, Hope Davis) is very well acted with lots of familiar Chicago scenes, but, ultimately, quite depressing. What is it w/ mathmatical prodigies and insanity? A Beautiful Mind is better.

nycredsfan
04-21-2006, 08:38 AM
I just saw the movie Brick last night and man was it fantastic. Here is the synopsis from their website, which is a really cool site (brickmovie.net)

Brick, the dynamic debut feature from writer/director Rian Johnson, won the Sundance Film Festival's Special Jury Prize for Originality of Vision.

Brick, while taking its cues and its verbal style from the novels of Dashiell Hammett, also honors the rich cinematic tradition of the hard-boiled noir mystery, here wittily and bracingly immersed in fresh territory – a modern-day Southern California neighborhood and high school. There, student Brendan Frye's (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) piercing intelligence spares no one. Brendan is not afraid to back up his words with actions, and knows all the angles; yet he prefers to stay an outsider, and does – until the day that his ex-girlfriend, Emily (Emilie de Ravin of Lost), reaches out to him unexpectedly and then vanishes. Brendan's feelings for her still run deep; so much so, that he becomes consumed with finding his troubled inamorata.

To find her, Brendan enlists the aid of his only true peer, The Brain (Matt O'Leary), while keeping the assistant vice principal (Richard Roundtree) only occasionally informed of what quickly becomes a dangerous investigation. Brendan's single-minded unearthing of students' secrets thrusts him headlong into the colliding social orbits of rich-girl sophisticate Laura (Nora Zehetner), intimidating Tugger (Noah Fleiss), substance-abusing Dode (Noah Segan), seductive Kara (Meagan Good), jock Brad (Brian White), and – most ominously – non-student The Pin (Lukas Haas). It is only by gaining acceptance into The Pin's closely guarded inner circle of crime and punishment that Brendan will be able to uncover hard truths about himself, Emily, and the suspects that he is getting closer to.

cumberlandreds
04-21-2006, 02:37 PM

That is a good one. My wife drug me out to see at the theater when it first came out. I was pleasantly surprised.:thumbup:

savafan
04-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Not to sound too crazy, but I watched The Muppet Movie last night. There was so much that I didn't get in that movie as a kid, and now as an adult I can really appreciate. Great humor and catchy songs. Great cameo by Steve Martin in that film also.

Johnny Footstool
04-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Not to sound too crazy, but I watched The Muppet Movie last night. There was so much that I didn't get in that movie as a kid, and now as an adult I can really appreciate. Great humor and catchy songs. Great cameo by Steve Martin in that film also.

Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem rock!

Sweetstop
04-21-2006, 05:05 PM

We have that soundtrack on vinyl from back when my children were small.

Larry Schuler
04-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Inside Man was very interesting. A much better film than I expected.

I also recently saw the documentary The Devil & Daniel Johnston about the underground music legend Daniel Johnston who suffered from mental ilness. It was captivating.

The Benchwarmers was silly and dumb, but as a baseball fan I enjoyed it a lot while it was on the screen.

Scary Movie 4 was terrible. Not even stupid funny. Just sad.

nycredsfan
04-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Inside Man was very interesting. A much better film than I expected.

I also recently saw the documentary The Devil & Daniel Johnston about the underground music legend Daniel Johnston who suffered from mental ilness. It was captivating.

The Benchwarmers was silly and dumb, but as a baseball fan I enjoyed it a lot while it was on the screen.

Scary Movie 4 was terrible. Not even stupid funny. Just sad.

I haven't seen the Daniel Johnston documentary, but would really like to. A friend of mine used to date Will Sheff of Okkervil River and on their first album they had Daniel Johnston sing a song. Anyway, they had to go pick him up and when they did Daniel asked for the money immediately when he got in the car and then had them take him to a gas station where he proceeded to spend all the money on candy and mountain dew because his parents wouldn't let him eat/drink the stuff. The guy is a genius songwriter and he obviously suffers from mental illness, but this story made me laugh nonetheless.

savafan
05-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Crash

8/10

Pretty good movie. Drew me in with the characters. Could have done without Brendan Fraser and Sandra Bullock in this movie though. Unlike the other characters, theirs didn't do anything for me. I thought Ryan Phillippe and Matt Dillon were very good though. Same for Ludacris. I thought at times that the preaching about racism got a bit heavy handed though. I didn't think it was the best movie of the year however.

Brokeback Mountain

8.5/10

An excellent movie, and it really made me think about how hard it must have been being a homosexual before it was as accepted as it is today (and it still isn't completely accepted). I sympathized a lot with Heath Ledger's character, and I thought his performance was top notch. Jake Gyllenhall was good, but I think Ledger outshined him. It was a beautiful love story. Regardless of how you feel about the subject matter, I think it's worth viewing.

The Gospel of John

9/10

The entire Gospel of John, word for word, on the screen. Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond on Lost, Stoller on 24) portrayed the most realistic version of Jesus I've ever seen on screen. The crucifixion is less bloody than in Passion. My five year old niece watched this movie, and although she had questions about that part, I don't think I'd let her see Passion quite yet. The movie isn't preachy, it is simply a very well done narrative (narration parts done by Christopher Plummer) and gorgeous geography.

Walk The Line

10/10

This, IMO, was the best movie of the year. I think it was hurt by the fact that Ray won last year, and the academy didn't want to see a new sub-genre of biopics of musicians. Great performances all around, aside from the two leads, especially Robert Patrick's portrayal of Ray Cash.

The Da Vinci Code

9/10

I just saw this one, and I thought it was pretty entertaining. Ian McKellen is always good, and this was no different. Paul Bettany was also pretty good in this. Tom Hanks was passable. At times he seemed a bit cold to the role, but picked it up at other times. Not as good as the book, and strayed here and there, not going into as much detail as the book, but that's how it is with movies based on books...there's just so much you can fit into 2 1/2 hours. Will it win any awards? Probably not, although the direction was excellent, have to hand that to Ron Howard, but it was a fun popcorn flick. The audience applauded as the credits began to roll (it always makes me laugh when they do that).

Tony Cloninger
05-19-2006, 11:22 PM
I cannot stop watching COLLATERAL.

The whole mood and tone of the movie really does it for me.

As much as Tom Cruise has become annoying and preachy about several subjects...... they guy has come a long way from Risky Bussiness.

savafan
05-19-2006, 11:25 PM
As much as Tom Cruise has become annoying and preachy about several subjects...... they guy has come a long way from Risky Bussiness.

Tom Cruise is a great actor. I'm able to make the seperation from great actor and insane human being.

Redsfaithful
05-20-2006, 02:38 AM
I would also recommend the new film Thank You For Smoking. It is really good.

Saw Thank You for Smoking last weekend, and it was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. Definitely exceeded expectations.

savafan
05-20-2006, 05:08 AM
Saw Thank You for Smoking last weekend, and it was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. Definitely exceeded expectations.

I've been wanting to see that, but I can't find it playing anywhere nearby.

Sweetstop
05-20-2006, 07:22 AM
Munich - good filmmaking, good point, not fun to watch
Match Point - very good, atypical Woody Allen homage to Hitchcock
Shop Girl - I loved it. Claire Danes is great, as is Jason Schwartzman. Steve Martin's book, which he made into a script and stars in..talented fellow.
The Family Stone - ugh. good cast..too much schmaltz.

Tony Cloninger
05-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Savafan....do you think the way he is has stopped him from being nominated for a Best Actor award?

He should have at least been nominated for "Born on the 4th of July" and "Collateral"

savafan
05-22-2006, 01:46 AM
Savafan....do you think the way he is has stopped him from being nominated for a Best Actor award?

He should have at least been nominated for "Born on the 4th of July" and "Collateral"

He was nominated for "Born on the Fourth of July" and "Jerry Maguire". Also "Magnolia" for best supporting actor.

max venable
05-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Last Holiday. My wife and I both liked it a lot. 8 out of 10 stars.

Sweetstop
05-24-2006, 01:13 PM
I really liked Terrence Malick's "The New World". Beautifully filmed from every angle, Malick-style, w/ all natural lighting and shot w/in 10 miles of the original Jamestown (and some final shots in England). The main soundtrack is the quiet sounds of nature that envelope you, and James Horner's music swells and sweeps at appropriate times. You can't take your eyes off the actors and their excellent performances, especially Colin Farrell's John Smith and the 14 year old Q'Orianka Kilcher as Pocohontas. They also invited Native Americans from all over the country to come in and play "the naturals." I felt like it was 1607, and I was there. Lovely, underrated film.

RedsBaron
05-24-2006, 01:28 PM
I really liked Terrence Malick's "The New World". Beautifully filmed from every angle, Malick-style, w/ all natural lighting and shot w/in 10 miles of the original Jamestown (and some final shots in England). The main soundtrack is the quiet sounds of nature that envelope you, and James Horner's music swells and sweeps at appropriate times. You can't take your eyes off the actors and their excellent performances, especially Colin Farrell's John Smith and the 14 year old Q'Orianka Kilcher as Pocohontas. They also invited Native Americans from all over the country to come in and play "the naturals." I felt like it was 1607, and I was there. Lovely, underrated film.
I have been wanting to see "The New World." I will have to rent it.

Raisor
05-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Saw X-Men 3 today. Much better then I feared it was going to be. I was afraid they wouldn't be able to pull of Hank McCoy/Beast, but Kelsey Grammer was fantastic, and the FX worked.

Fun popcorn movie. Not as good as X2, but good nonetheless.

GAC
05-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Taking Samuel to the matinee today to see X-Men.

cincinnati chili
08-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Just saw Little Miss Sunshine (http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/littlemisssunshine/). Very good. The beginning and end are hilarious, and the rest is enjoyable.

Sweetstop
08-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Just saw Little Miss Sunshine (http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/littlemisssunshine/). Very good. The beginning and end are hilarious, and the rest is enjoyable.

Saw "Little Miss Sunshine" yesterday and loved it. I haven't laughed this hard for ages, especially the end. Also, the VW bus should have been given a credit along w/ Kinnear, Colette, Carell, Arkin. What a whiny horn!:)

RedsBaron
08-20-2006, 09:58 AM
I noticed that I hadn't posted any movie reviews for a while, not that I get to that many. Here's a brief summary of the movies I've taken one of more members of the family to this summer:
"Cars"-I took my 9 year old to this Pixar film. He and I enjoyed it. It wasn't as memrable as "Toy Story", but it was a good film with a good soundtrack. :thumbup: Paul Newman was an inspired casting choice.
"Click"-the whole family went to this movie, which certainly "borrowed" elements from "Its A Wonderful Life." While not close to being as good a movie as the James Stewart classic that somewhat inspired it, I liked "Click." It has received luke-warm at best reviews, with critics rightly noting that the first half of the film was typical Adam Sandler gross-out humor while the second half was serious. I thought Sandler was funny, Henry Winkler and Christopher Walken, playing his usual nut case, were good, and Kate Beckinsale was both good and lovely.:thumbup:
"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" was disappointing. Big set pieces but a story that made little sense. Johnny Depp was good, but little else was.:thumbdown
"Talledega Nights: The Legend of Ricky Bobby" was a hoot. My only disappointment was that most of the great lines had already been shown in movie previews, so it wasn't quite as good as I had hoped for, but I still laughed a lot.:thumbup:

Dom Heffner
08-20-2006, 09:33 PM
I cannot stop watching COLLATERAL.

LA has never looked better. That movie is incredible.

Just saw Superman Returns at IMAX.

It was both brilliant and disappointing.

I'm not sure I can go into without a spoiler, but there were parts of that movie that took my breath away and parts that left me longing for a payoff that never came.

Sweetstop
08-21-2006, 11:12 AM
A thumbs-up to Tommy Lee Jones for his compeling "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada". I was reminded of Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying" and Robt. Service's poem, "The Cremation of Sam McGee".

Levon Helm (from The Band) has a terrific cameo!

Falls City Beer
08-21-2006, 06:28 PM
I was reminded of Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying"

!

Heck, I'm reminded of As I Lay Dying every time Wayne trades for another reliever.

Majewski makes me think of Vardamann's fish.

KoryMac5
08-22-2006, 12:40 AM
Just saw Snakes on a Plane today with the wife. Thought it was great kept us on the edge of our seats, made us laugh, and scared us at the same time. Good date movie. It's a movie that does what it sets out to do entertain at a high fast pace. Samuel L Jackson is very cool throughout.

Yachtzee
08-24-2006, 10:22 PM
I just saw "Snakes on a Plane" tonight. Definitely worth the money. Scary, funny, and Samuel L. Jackson. Could you imagine anyone else in the lead role? I think not! I just can't imagine Kevin Costner saying "I'm tired of these gosh darn snakes on my gosh darn plane!" Top flight entertainment!

Yachtzee gives it a 10/10!