PDA

View Full Version : Keeper Question

Redsfaithful
02-15-2006, 04:11 AM
12 team league, with odd scoring. 10 categories, 6 of which are offense:

ERA, S, K, W
AVG, OBP, HR, RBI, R, SB

I've been trying to get them to add WHIP and drop something like AVG, but so far no luck.

Anyway, I get to keep three players heading into this season. It's the first time the league has ever allowed keepers. Here are the players that I held at the end of last season that I would consider at least borderline keepable:

Mark Teixeira
David Wright
Miguel Cabrera
Pedro Martinez
Zach Duke
Andy Pettite
Paul Konerko
Felipe Lopez
Carlos Beltran
AJ Burnett

Realistically, I'm definitely going to keep Pedro. I'm fairly sure I'm also keeping Teixeira, even though first base is such a deep position.

My real dilemma is Wright vs. Cabrera. I'm really having a tough time deciding which would be better, and I keep going back and forth. Anyone care to persuade me one way or the other?

Also, I included the above list just in case anyone thinks any of the above would be worth keeping over Pedro/Teixeira/Wright/Cabrera.

Thanks for the help!

Redsnake
02-15-2006, 08:24 AM
I agree with keeping Pedro and Teixera. As for the other spot, I would pick D.Wright. Both will give you similar value. Cabrera's Avg. vs. Wright's stolen bases is the trade off. With Cabrera losing so much talent around him, I think that's another reason I lean toward Wright. With the amount of talent around Wright, his production could be even better than Cabrera.

IowaRed
02-15-2006, 08:47 AM
I would keep Wright over Cabrera for the reasons Redsnake mentioned. If given the same set of circumstances I would strongly consider keeping Teixera, Cabrera, and Wright and letting Pedro go. While you are letting an ace go there are a lot of 2nd or 3rd tier pitchers out there to build a pitching staff with.

TeamSelig
02-15-2006, 12:23 PM
There aren't many good SS's out there, I wouldn't overlook keeping Felipe. I don't think he would give you the best stats/points, but compared to other shortstops it might be worth keeping him. Then again, I'm a Reds fan so maybe I'm overvaluing him some. Just a thought.

bianchiveloce
02-17-2006, 07:03 AM
Keep Cabrera (22 yrs old), Wright (23), and Teixeira(25). So much power coupled with such young ages. Now, like IowaRed said, you can always find a good 2nd or 3rd tier pircher out there. Heck, for that matter, keep the power hitters and take a pitcher as your first pick in regular draft.

Keep in mind that Pedro will be in his 34 years of age season and while that is not very old, he has accumulated 2513.0 career innings with 38,821 career total pitches thrown (per ESPN). For a 5' 11'', 180 lbs, that's a lot of innings and pitches.

Red Leader
02-17-2006, 11:53 AM
I agree with biachiveloce (nice name).

I'd keep Wright, Cabrera, and Teixeira. That's a great offense to start with. Pickup a SP in the first round of your regular draft (you might even get Pedro back) and you should be in good shape.

Redsfaithful
02-17-2006, 05:34 PM
K, you guys are making me seriously consider not keeping Pedro. I'll have to give it some more thought.

Offense is weighted heavier in this league, so that's a point in favor of keeping the three offensive players. I also won the ERA title last year by like .6, so there was a lot of wasted good pitching on my team. I'd rather that not happen again.

HotCorner
02-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Mark Teixeira
David Wright
Miguel Cabrera

Bigredfan#1
02-27-2006, 01:06 AM
Pedro may not be healthy. I would consider throwing Lopez in the mix because of position!!

Redsfaithful
02-27-2006, 02:19 AM
Mark Teixeira
David Wright
Miguel Cabrera

This is the way I've decided to go. Thanks to everyone for your help!

IowaRed
02-27-2006, 02:43 PM
This is the way I've decided to go. Thanks to everyone for your help!

:thumbup: