PDA

View Full Version : Luke Hudson signs 1-year contract

harangatang
02-16-2006, 02:35 PM
per Marc's blog

"Luke Hudson has signed a one-year major league contract and accepted an outright assignment to Louisville. That means he's in camp as a non-roster invitee, bringing the tally to 63 players in camp."

cumberlandreds
02-16-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm glad he's back. Like I posted on another thread I think if he could ever correct his control problems he could be a decent starter. But time for that is running out.

Willy
02-16-2006, 02:39 PM
How can a guy sign a Major league contract and NOT be put on the 40 man???

Chip R
02-16-2006, 02:40 PM
How can a guy sign a Major league contract and NOT be put on the 40 man???

Good question.

KronoRed
02-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Is he back on the 40?

flyer85
02-16-2006, 03:04 PM
How can a guy sign a Major league contract and NOT be put on the 40 man???don't know. It would seem to me that he would signing a split contract.

dougdirt
02-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Maybe it was just confusion and he signed a minor league contract?

Joseph
02-16-2006, 03:57 PM
I would think it's all about dollars is how. Meaning the money he signed for is guaranteed.

Barbarossa
02-16-2006, 03:58 PM
That soulds more like it dougdirt. Checked the Red's forty man roster and no Luke. Checked the Bat's roster and there he was down at the bottom of the pitchers list, just like a new addition.

REDREAD
02-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Don't forget, Esponsia and Sardinha were also signed to major league contracts and they're in the minors.

Remember D'Angelo Jimmneniz? He was still on a major league contract when he was outrighted.

You can be in the minors with a ML contract.

What I don't know is: will Hudson will collect ML service time, even if he's in the minors all year? (For purposes of arbitration). I think the answer is yes, but I'm not positive.

Dunner44
02-16-2006, 04:10 PM
From John Fay's ST Diary:

Luke Hudson, designated for assignment last week, is here. He said he cleared waivers, so he's here on a minor league contract

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060215/SPT04/302150016/1071/SPT

Caveat Emperor
02-16-2006, 04:10 PM
per Marc's blog

"Luke Hudson has signed a one-year major league contract and accepted an outright assignment to Louisville. That means he's in camp as a non-roster invitee, bringing the tally to 63 players in camp."

Ironically, the contract is likely void because Hudson was unable to keep his signature in designated zone.

Red Leader
02-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Don't forget, Esponsia and Sardinha were also signed to major league contracts and they're in the minors.

Remember D'Angelo Jimmneniz? He was still on a major league contract when he was outrighted.

You can be in the minors with a ML contract.

What I don't know is: will Hudson will collect ML service time, even if he's in the minors all year? (For purposes of arbitration). I think the answer is yes, but I'm not positive.

Espinosa was on the 40 man roster, so was Sardhina before he was waived and cleared. I think if you sign a major league deal you have to either be added to the 40 man, or clear waivers. I thought you had to clear waivers after you signed the contract to be sent down, so Hudson recently clearing waivers wouldn't count unless he signed the deal before clearing waivers.

and I do believe you only collect service time if you are on the 40 man roster.

Interesting.

Has to be a minor league contract, IMO.

dougdirt
02-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Ironically, the contract is likely void because Hudson was unable to keep his signature in designated zone.

HA! Nice one. But hey, I bet he signed it pretty fast, so maybe he snuck one by someone.

Doc. Scott
02-16-2006, 05:06 PM
This is one of those reworked contracts like the one that let the Reds send Wily Mo Pena to the minors.

BEETTLEBUG
02-16-2006, 05:12 PM
They never was able to send Pena to the Minors that was why he never could get the training he needed.

Doc. Scott
02-16-2006, 05:13 PM
They never was able to send Pena to the Minors that was why he never could get the training he needed.

I know. It's been a running joke on here.

Gallen5862
02-16-2006, 08:19 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/
He's the expert

SARASOTA -- What with all the confusion over Luke Hudson's major-minor situation, I decided to go straight to the Reds' MLB rules guru, Mr. Dean Taylor. Here's his response:

"Waivers were secured (once) to allow us to outright Hudson to
Louisville. Because he was a potential minor league free agent, under
MLB rules he must sign a major league contract prior to being
outrighted. This rule applies to any potential minor league free agent
who is outrighted during the off-season after October 15 of the previous
year (Bong, Hancock and Kozlowski are in the same category)."

One day, perhaps I'll understand all (I'd settle for most) of MLB's various rules and regs.

REDREAD
02-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Espinosa was on the 40 man roster, so was Sardhina before he was waived and cleared. I think if you sign a major league deal you have to either be added to the 40 man, or clear waivers. I thought you had to clear waivers after you signed the contract to be sent down, so Hudson recently clearing waivers wouldn't count unless he signed the deal before clearing waivers.

and I do believe you only collect service time if you are on the 40 man roster.

Interesting.

Has to be a minor league contract, IMO.

That's a good point.. but Hudson did clear waivers (just as Sardinha did).
I think it was mentioned on another thread that Hudson got a ML contract because the Reds had to give him a major league contract to prevent him from becoming a 6 year minor league free agent.

My guess is that he does accumulate service time, at least for the purpose of arbitration. I say this because I recall Sardinha and Esponsia having special clauses in their deals where they could go to arbitration instead of getting their guaranteed money.. but of course, that was a long time ago. I could be wrong.

DeadRedinCT
02-17-2006, 04:47 PM
I think both Espinosa and Sardinha both signed major league contracts. They then had to be placed on the 40 man roster and optioned to the minors. Once they both ran out of options (that's one option year for each season, meaning they could be called up and optioned multiple times), they either had to go through the waiver process.

When a player signs a minor league contract and the big league club wants that player in the majors, they have to purchase his contract, which converts the contract from a minor league contract to a major league contract, and the player must be placed on the 40 man roster (and corresponding move must be made if the team needs to get under limitations of the 40 man roster).

So what I'm trying to state is that Luke Hudson must have signed a minor league contract and that Lancaster had a brain fart.

Did this make sense? It's Friday and I need a beer.

EDIT:
I didn't see Gallen's post. So I think I'm full of something.

I still need that beer.

Eric_Davis
02-17-2006, 05:00 PM
He might be the 63rd player, but I give him a 50-50 shot at being on the Major League roster by May 1st.

I've always liked him and hope he can put it together enough to give us 150 innings w/ an ERA of under 4.50.

redskirtsrgood
02-18-2006, 01:22 AM
my prediction...Luke has a good spring but still spends a few starts in AAA and then he's back up for a stellar season