PDA

View Full Version : Reds Notes (Moses, KGSr, and more) 2/16

TeamBoone
02-16-2006, 09:18 PM
02/16/2006 5:24 PM ET
Notes: Moses surprisingly calls it quits
Griffey Sr. has expressed interest in replacing first base coach
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- In a surprise on the first day of Spring Training, the Reds announced Thursday that first base coach John Moses has retired.
Moses told the team he was tired of being away from his family most of the year.

"It caught me completely off guard," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "He's been in baseball a long time. He told me he was on his way to the airport and just had a change of heart with what he was doing. He felt like he had to do what's best for his family."

A search for Moses' replacement has begun, with the club assembling a list of candidates to interview. The plan is to look within first before taking a look outside the organization.

One of those candidates could be former Reds player and coach Ken Griffey Sr. Sources told MLB.com that Griffey Sr. has already expressed his interest in joining Narron's coaching staff.

Griffey Sr., the father of Reds center fielder Ken Griffey Jr. and a team consultant for the Reds, was named first base coach for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic last month.

Moses was about to enter his second year in the Reds organization. He was hired in January 2005 to be the Minor League outfield/base running coordinator.

When Narron was promoted to interim manager last June, Moses was named bench coach. He was then shifted to first base coaching duties this winter when Bucky Dent was hired as the new bench coach.

Moses previously spent four seasons as the Mariners' first base coach.

Hudson stays: Designated for assignment and taken off the 40-man roster last week to make room for waiver claim Michael Gosling, pitcher Luke Hudson signed a one-year contract Thursday. It was considered a procedural move since Hudson was then sent outright to Triple-A Louisville. The right-hander is in camp as a non-roster player.

Hudson was 6-9 with a 6.38 ERA in 16 starts and three relief appearances last season. He missed much of the first half on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation.

Krivsky plans: On the job for just over a week, Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky stopped into the Reds clubhouse to introduce himself to several of the players in camp.

Krivsky was also scurrying to file paperwork with the U.S. government to get a passport expedited for travel to the Dominican Republic next week. He plans to visit and tour the organization's Latin American academy outside of Santo Domingo, along with new owner Bob Castellini and player development director Johnny Almaraz.

"We want to make sure they feel a part of this thing, which they are," Krivsky said. "We're looking forward to it."

Krivsky, Castellini and Almaraz are scheduled to leave Feb. 24. In the short time he's been acquainted with him, Narron had praise for the new GM.

"He's very knowledgeable and he's got a lot of energy," Narron said. "He's definitely going to try and make things happen."

Seen and heard: Catcher Javier Valentin was the only player not to arrive Thursday for the mandatory pitchers and catchers report date. Valentin was excused to be with his wife, who is expecting to deliver a baby any day, at their home in Manati, Puerto Rico.

Sarasota resident and ESPN college basketball analyst Dick Vitale paid a visit to Reds camp Thursday. His daughter and two grandchildren accompanied him to the facility. Vitale has been a regular visitor over the years.

Coming up: There are no scheduled workouts for Friday as Reds pitchers and catchers are slated to undergo their physicals. Some players will likely be working out on their own.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060216&content_id=1313144&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

MrCinatit
02-16-2006, 09:26 PM
i for one would like seeing Senior come back to the ballclub.

Gallen5862
02-16-2006, 09:44 PM
I am also hoping that Senior can get the First base coaches job.

Team Clark
02-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Me too. When I spoke with him yesterday he was traveling from Philadelphia to his home in Florida. Hopefully, next stop will be Sarasota.

TeamBoone
02-16-2006, 10:02 PM
I'd love to see Sr in that position as well.

Another thing that struck me in the article, both Castellini and Krivsky are going to visit the baseball academy in the Dominican. I think that's great.

Nugget
02-16-2006, 10:44 PM
What really struck me is that Krisvsky doesn't have a valid US passport. Do the Twins not have a Latin American network? and if they do has Krivsky not visited it lately?

Go Sr for first base coach. Although wouldn't it take Junior back to little league with your dad there on 1B waving you through or urging you on.

KronoRed
02-16-2006, 10:48 PM
I'm in favor of no former coaches at 1st..new blood.

Willy
02-16-2006, 10:59 PM
What about talking to Larkin.

He might be interested in coming back, now that most of the ugly monster is gone!!!

MartyFan
02-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Larkin is an interesting thought but I really see him working in the front office more than on the field.

I would love Sr. being more visable with the Reds again.

I'd really love to see Perez brought back..

Mario-Rijo
02-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Larkin is an interesting thought but I really see him working in the front office more than on the field.

I believe Barry stated in an interview a few months back that he sees himself more on the field than in the front office. I second the Larkin hiring if we could get permission to talk to him. Hmmmmm...... well maybe Sr. is not bad after all but what if we then deal Jr. sometime this season. Could get kinda tense if that were to happen!

Nugget
02-17-2006, 01:10 AM
I don't think Junior will go anywhere soon - his got 5/10 rights plus even though he wants to win the World Series I don't think he will sell his soul to do it. And as we have seen with the White Sox and Diamondbacks it doesn't take much (just good pitching) to take an also ran to WS Champs.

Chip R
02-17-2006, 01:15 AM
What would happen to Sr.'s status as a coach for the WBC thing if he were to become a coach with the Reds?

kheidg-
02-17-2006, 01:49 AM
Senior, Perez, and Larkin are all worthy candidates IMO.

Ron Madden
02-17-2006, 04:58 AM
I can see Griffey Sr. or Tony Perez.

I doubt Larkin would even think about a 1b coaching job.

Barry has young children, He is pretty well set money wise. All of the time and travel away from home wouldn't be worth it to him IMO.

TeamBoone
02-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Barry's currently working for the Nats; he's already away from home a lot.

redsfan4445
02-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Yes i want senior, plus i would rather see a Griffey wearing #30 than a journeyman outfielder that was just signed!

Steve4192
02-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Barry's currently working for the Nats; he's already away from home a lot.
True ... but IIRC, he does not travel with the team in his role as special assistant to GM JimBo.

smith288
02-17-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm in favor of no former coaches at 1st..new blood.
Because yelling "BACK!" will perpetuate the culture of losing?

KronoRed
02-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Because yelling "BACK!" will perpetuate the culture of losing?
It's all in the tone of voice

gm
02-17-2006, 04:00 PM
Senior has the prerequisites to coach first base (read opposing pitcher's pick off moves, etc) And he can probably coach the outfielders adequately. But for a guy like WMP I want the best OF instructor available to replace Moses. Maybe there's no better OF instructor than Senior who hasn't already been promoted to a ML coaching staff, or maybe not

I'm counting on WK to not "settle"

Chip R
02-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Senior has the prerequisites to coach first base (read opposing pitcher's pick off moves, etc) And he can probably coach the outfielders adequately. But for a guy like WMP I want the best OF instructor available to replace Moses. Maybe there's no better OF instructor than Senior who hasn't already been promoted to a ML coaching staff, or maybe not

I'm counting on WK to not "settle"

You know who is supposed to be a really good OF instructor? Jimmy Pearsall but I think he works with the Chubs.

Team Clark
02-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Senior interviewed today around 2:00 PM.

Narron called Sr. personally yesterday which was a nice touch.

kbrake
02-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Wouldnt it help to have someone at first base that can at least speak some spanish? Not saying Senior cant because I have no idea, but I would think it would be helpful.

gm
02-17-2006, 08:24 PM
You know who is supposed to be a really good OF instructor? Jimmy Pearsall but I think he works with the Chubs.

Someone responded to Marc's chat with the name Brett Butler, that would be an intriguing choice

But it sounds like Senior has the inside track

TeamBoone
02-17-2006, 09:21 PM
02/17/2006 2:37 PM ET
Notes: Reds look to fill vacancy
Hatteberg arrives at camp; Valentin expected Monday
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- With a vacancy at first base coach, the Reds identified a list of internal candidates for the job on Friday.
Among the internal candidates are Ken Griffey Sr., who interviewed for the position Friday, Ed Napoleon, Lynn Jones and Pete Mackanin. Manager Jerry Narron indicated the search could be expanded to people outside the organization.

Cincinnati is seeking a replacement for former coach John Moses, who called Narron and abruptly quit on Thursday because he wanted to spend more time with his family.

"We've got some very qualified guys right here," Narron said. "We don't have to do it right now. Shoot, it would have been nice to have done this a month ago or whatever but we're not there. We just have to do the best we can with where we are."

The Reds would like the new coach to also work with the outfielders and on baserunning skills.

Griffey Sr., the father of center fielder Ken Griffey Jr., is a team consultant. A star outfielder for the club in the 1970s, the elder Griffey was a coach on former Reds skipper Bob Boone's staff before abruptly quitting midseason.

Also the first base coach for Team USA's entry in the World Baseball Classic, Griffey Sr. has let the Reds know those duties wouldn't hinder him from accepting the job.

"That's something we'll talk with him about, and to Major League Baseball about, if it comes down to it," Narron said.

Napoleon is entering his third season with the Reds organization as outfield/bunting instructor. He has a long resume of Major League coaching stints, most recently with the Rangers from 1995-2000.

Jones was hired this winter as the Reds' Minor League outfield/baserunning coordinator after spending the past three seasons working for the Red Sox. He was manager Terry Francona's first base coach in Boston from 2004-05. A former big league outfielder with the Tigers and Royals, Jones was originally a 10th-round draft pick of the Reds in 1974.

Mackanin was just named the Reds' Major League advance scout on Friday after spending the last five seasons with the Pirates organization, the last three as a big league bench coach. A former big league player from 1973-81, he worked with outfielders while a third base coach for Montreal from 1997-2000 and managed the Reds' old Triple-A affiliate in Nashville in 1991-92.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060217&content_id=1313803&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Team Clark
02-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Sr. speaks "Baseball Spanish" so maybe that qualifies.

Blimpie
02-18-2006, 12:00 PM
What really struck me is that Krisvsky doesn't have a valid US passport. Do the Twins not have a Latin American network? and if they do has Krivsky not visited it lately?

Go Sr for first base coach. Although wouldn't it take Junior back to little league with your dad there on 1B waving you through or urging you on.It's possible that his passport had just recently expired?