PDA

View Full Version : Marlins to....Oklahoma???

Heath
02-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Marlins discuss possibly moving to Oklahoma

Associated Press
Posted: 20 hours ago

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Lt. Gov. Mary Fallin has talked to the Florida Marlins about the possibility of having the team move to Oklahoma City.

"It's all very preliminary, but I have received some good feedback from the Marlins," Fallin said in a statement Thursday.
Marlins owner Jeff Loria once owned the old Oklahoma City 89ers Triple-A team.

Fallin said she wrote to Marlins president David Samson last November after seeing reports that the team was considering leaving the Miami area. The Marlins have not been able to strike a deal for a new ballpark in the Miami area.

She said she has spoken by telephone several times to with Marlins vice chairman Joel Mael and sent Marlins' officials a packet of economic development and demographic information about central Oklahoma.

"The Marlins have asked for some more detailed information, and we are working to put that together for them," she said. "I will bringing Chamber of Commerce and local and state government leaders together very soon to begin that process.

"Obviously, one strong sales point has been the tremendous success of the NBA Hornets in Oklahoma City this season. We are suddenly on the map for big league sports."

Average Weather In Oklahoma City
April 60.4
May 68.4
June 76.7
July 82.0
August 81.1
September 73.0

Lookout for tornados....

ochre
02-17-2006, 11:44 AM
We lived in Oklahoma in the mid 70s. We were pretty good friends with the neighbors across the street. The mother was a 1st grade teacher; the father played college baseball at the same school as Mike Hargrove. The Big Red Machine was in its prime. The catcher on that team was a kid from Oklahoma as well, so our neighbor was following the Reds pretty closely. My dad is a die hard Reds fan. We had a tornado cellar in our back yard, while the neighbors didn't. I can remember at least one time that the respective mothers packed all of us kids into the cellar whilst the fathers stayed in the house to watch the Reds game (must have been playoffs, or WS). Generally we only went into the cellar under conditions when a tornado had been sited nearby.

westofyou
02-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Yes all those boarded up towns on Route 66 will be aching to drive to the OKC to see the Marlins.

M2
02-17-2006, 11:47 AM
I think this is one that needs to be filed under "Snowball's Chance in Hell"

KronoRed
02-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Will they sing OKALAHOMA at every home game? :D

RedsBaron
02-17-2006, 12:01 PM
Major league baseball may have erred when it made its last round of expansion. The game among ownership has always been to get the taxpayers to pay to build a new ballpark by threatening to move a team to another city. There may not be that many cities left who do not have a major league team and who are really viable locations for a team.

flyer85
02-17-2006, 12:17 PM
I think this is one that needs to be filed under "Snowball's Chance in Hell"The Hornets(NBA) have been having big crowds and a lot of success in Oklahoma City.

At this point it is a "Field of Dreams" scenario for franchise relocation. That is "build it they will come".

For the Marlins it is like being the last one to the party and there aren't any prety girls left to dance with.

westofyou
02-17-2006, 12:17 PM
There have only been two privatley financed stadiums built in MLB since 1915, both sit in marketplaces that should hemorage support and dollars.

Once the tax code favored ownership amongst a group as opposed to an individual the game has been to get the public to finance a portion or the whole ticket.

This usually is the approach made by civic leaders who own a part of the team as well as surrounding property, recent examples are the Reds and Texas, both franchises are run by men who made a killing off of the surrounding area placed where a new stadium is placed.

Then they get lauded for saving the team from moving to places like the OKC

westofyou
02-17-2006, 12:19 PM
The Hornets(NBA) have been having big crowds and a lot of success in Oklahoma City.
Until recently the Trailblazers could claim the same thing for over 2 decades, plus this is a *growing* area.

Just one that doesn't want to build a stadium for a snake like JL and the Marlins.

KearnsyEars
02-17-2006, 12:19 PM
any chance they stay in miami?

Chip R
02-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Major league baseball may have erred when it made its last round of expansion. The game among ownership has always been to get the taxpayers to pay to build a new ballpark by threatening to move a team to another city. There may not be that many cities left who do not have a major league team and who are really viable locations for a team.

You make a good point. I know they would never do this but perhaps they should help finance building these stadiums. Give the owner a loan to help do it. Perhaps in the next round of expansion, any city getting a new team has to either have a new stadium or have concrete plans and financing that have been approved by the city/county/state already.

KronoRed
02-17-2006, 12:20 PM
any chance they stay in miami?
Only if they build the stadium themselves.

flyer85
02-17-2006, 12:22 PM
any chance they stay in miami?I think so. It is a major media market AND they don't have anywhere else to go.

I think contraction has a better chance of happening than does the Marlins moving.

cumberlandreds
02-17-2006, 01:25 PM
The Oklahoma City Tornadoes. I like the sound of that. But I doubt that it happens. Quite frankly MLB needs to contract before they move or expand again.

KearnsyEars
02-17-2006, 01:42 PM
I hope they stay in Miami. They must have some of the best scouts in the bigs. These guys consistlently have no trouble building a winner with a team full of young stud horses.

Namely right now, they have Cabrera, who other than Dunn and Pujols is the best young player in baseball. When I say young i mean 26 and Under.

They also have young D Willis. We don't have the pitching prospect to match that at the ML level. Keep your fingers crossed that Homer Bailey stays healthy, stays hungry, and has a few big league seasons like D. Willis already has. One thing is for sure, he won't ever hit like Willis.

TRF
02-17-2006, 02:55 PM
OKC has a better shot since the hornets came to town. And as for all those boarded up towns on 66, I think you forgot I-40 & I-44. Those towns are actually doing well, as a lot of people prefer the small town life. OKC has a lot of interesting industry like xerox and I think Seagate has a plant there.

They would also be pulling in fans from Tulsa, and certainly one or two families in Amarillo when the Reds are in town. :)

savafan
02-17-2006, 03:04 PM
I once spent a week in Oklahoma City. It's a beautiful place, and the people are very hospitable. I've often thought about moving there someday if I ever leave Ohio. I don't know if baseball would work there, but the city is very supportive. (I was in a parade honoring Oklahmoa native and Apollo-Soyuz Astronaut Thomas Stafford)

Yachtzee
02-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Oklahoma City? They should put a team in Kansas City first!

BA-DUM-BUM CHING!

Thanks, I'll be here all week. Try the Special.

vaticanplum
02-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Oh man, that would be awesome!

What the heck else do they do in Oklahoma? I am all for baseball in areas where it can boom due solely for lack of anything else to do.

Isn't Johnny Bench from Oklahoma? He would be a rad ambassador.

Heath
02-17-2006, 07:21 PM

BA-DUM-BUM CHING!

You might want to see if the microphone's on first ... ;)

KronoRed
02-17-2006, 07:27 PM

BA-DUM-BUM CHING!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/Kronosb/tomato2.gif

Edskin
02-17-2006, 10:19 PM
I for one, certainly hope this happens, as I am moving back to OKC (currently in Tulsa) this September. OKC is a wonderful place. "Bricktown" is an ever-expanding area around downtown that now houses arenas, restaurants, comedy clubs, bars, etc.... the Ford Center (where the Hornets are currently playing) is brand new and seats almost 20,000. Toby Keith has a ridiculously huge eatery/bar right by the stadium and there is all kinds of nightlife in the area, surrounding by a man-made "river" that flows throughout the district.

The Hornets are a bit of a novelty, so it's hard to tell whether the rabid support is legit or not. But I know this much-- on a recent weekday evening, the OU Sooners had a home basketball game, as did the OSU Cowboys. And the Hornets had a home game-- all at the same time, all on the same night, and all three were sold out.

OKC has a HUGE metro area with suburbs such as Edmond and Midwest City growing rapidly. Tinker Air Force bases houses THOUSANDS of service people. Norman and Stillwater are both large college towns within 30-45 minutes drive away. Tulsa is an hour and a half away, Dallas is three hours, and Kansas City isn't too far either.

It's a place that makes a lot of sense. The Bricktown Ballpark is a beautiful baseball stadium, new and shiny that houses the AAA Redhawks and could serve as a decent holding area while a new stadium is being built. And therin lies the problem-- the new stadium. How, when, and how realistic? All great questions.

My guess is that the Marlins never come too close to moving to OKC, but people shouldn't be stunned if the do. While a lot of other towns have been sleeping, OKC has been blossoming.

KronoRed
02-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Dallas is three hours, and Kansas City isn't too far either.

That to me would be the deal breaker, the Royals are already a small market team, I doubt MLB would let someone move in and eat away at their fan base.

Maybe in a few years when the Royals want a new stadium (it'll happen) Ok.City should go after them :dunno:

Edskin
02-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Krono--If there is a Royals fan in Oklahoma, or even someone who can name one Royals player, I've yet to meet them :)

Phil in BG
02-18-2006, 07:14 AM
Do you think Johnny Bench would become a fan? find a job in their front office? Somehow is sounds strange to possibly have MLB in Oklahoma.

Jpup
02-18-2006, 07:50 AM
I vote for a move to KY or Nashville, TN. :thumbup:

Heath
02-18-2006, 08:50 AM
I vote for a move to KY or Nashville, TN. :thumbup:

The Somerset Marlins. Or in the new wave of geographic regional naming - The Lake Cumberland Marlins.

But Marlins would have to change since Cumberland doesn't do salt water. So with that in mind, we can look at the following:

the Lake Cumberland Large Mouth Bass
the Lake Cumberland Croppies
the Lake Cumberland Panfish.

and my personal fav -

the Lake Cumberland Houseboat Captains.

Get your tickets now....

KronoRed
02-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Krono--If there is a Royals fan in Oklahoma, or even someone who can name one Royals player, I've yet to meet them :)
Might be 1 or 2..and if they leave that's 25% of the Royals fan base ;)

Jpup
02-18-2006, 12:27 PM
The Somerset Marlins. Or in the new wave of geographic regional naming - The Lake Cumberland Marlins.

But Marlins would have to change since Cumberland doesn't do salt water. So with that in mind, we can look at the following:

the Lake Cumberland Large Mouth Bass
the Lake Cumberland Croppies
the Lake Cumberland Panfish.

and my personal fav -

the Lake Cumberland Houseboat Captains.

Get your tickets now....

I grew up about 20 miles from Lake Cumberland.

FlyingPig
02-18-2006, 04:41 PM
These Marlins guys have been all over the place talking cities up..the Pacific Northwest..Vegas..Charlotte..and now that Oklahoma City has had some success supporting a bad NBA team, they are in the running..

Who's next..Nashville? Topeka? Brooklyn?

I'm predicting they stay in South Florida...

OldXOhio
02-18-2006, 06:03 PM
That to me would be the deal breaker, the Royals are already a small market team, I doubt MLB would let someone move in and eat away at their fan base.

Non-factor really - OKC's a minimum five hour drive from KC.

The fan base would indeed need to draw from some rather rural areas throughout SWC OK. And even though Tulsa's 100 miles away and Dallas a little farther, OK is much like FL in that football is first and everything else third. OKC has done a nice job in recent years of revitalizing itself, particularly in the Bricktown area, but I question how baseball would do once the novelty wears off.