PDA

View Full Version : Studs, duds and players 'sometimes a Fantasy' (2/16)

TeamBoone
02-17-2006, 01:49 PM
I didn't know where to post this... here or Fantasy Island. I haven't included the second page of the article; if interested, you can find it by clicking on the link.

Anyway, the reason I posted it is because of the bolded statement... which IMHO offended OUR Adam Dunn.

Have any of you ever thought of Adam Dunn that way? Does he project that image in your eyes? Does he project that image in the eyes of other players?

I guess he does to the reporter who wrote this article and it just kind of, well, ticked me off.

Feb. 16, 2006
Studs, duds and players 'sometimes a Fantasy'
By Larry Dobrow / Special to CBS SportsLine.com

To help us bridge the yawning emotional chasm between Valentine's and Presidents days, Major League Baseball has anointed Thursday, Feb. 16, as Opening Day of the 2006 Fantasy Baseball season. And truly, we're tickled that the league has placed this most momentous happening ahead of the search for a new Nationals owner in the priority queue.

You're great, Rickie Weeks. Now do something about that first name, champ. (Getty Images)
But since we've never met a cheap column gimmick we didn't like, we're commemorating Fantasy Opening Day with a quick peek at the season ahead.

One caveat: We're assuming a teensy shred of roto intelligence on your part, so there shall be no flogging of the usual suspects. Yes, Johan Santana is the best pitcher. Yes, A-Rod is the best position player, especially if your league gives bonus points for girly slap-fighting. You know this.

Now: It's time to see how the lesser mortals live.

Catcher

Mauer: Good buy. (Getty Images)
Overall outlook: Weaker than Al Roker's resolve in the presence of a raspberry torte.

Fellas to grab: Joe Mauer, Minnesota Twins: Remember him? Young kid, lotsa hype a few seasons back, no cartilage in his knees, elbows and pelvis? You've seen pictures. ... Josh Willingham, Florida Marlins: Give him 400 at-bats and he'll hit. Give him a fork and he'll eat. No sophisticate, he.

Avoid like the plague: Mike Lieberthal, Philadelphia Phillies: His bat's been MIA for two seasons and counting. Come to think of it, avoid any catcher named Mike (Piazza, Matheny, etc.). ... Brad Ausmus, Houston Astros: Bad Ausmus. Bad.

First base

Chris Shelton (Getty Images)
Overall outlook: Plenty of 20-plus HR bats, plus every league likely has one halfwit who will take an early flier on Sean Casey. David Ortiz qualifies here in most leagues, too (he started 10 games at first last year).

Fellas to grab: Chris Shelton, Detroit Tigers: He's Adam Dunn, minus the "goll-eee, sir!" hayseed charm and 35 points of OBP. ... Justin Morneau, Minnesota Twins: Obscene power potential should finally translate this year. He's developed a reputation as a clubhouse nancy, which should only be a problem if you plan on inviting your roto players over for afternoon tea.

Avoid like day-old spittle from Terry Bradshaw's chaw: Kevin Millar, Baltimore Orioles: Cowboy down! We have a cowboy down! Medic! ... Nomar Garciaparra, Los Angeles Dodgers: Vegas has set the over/under at 300 plate appearances. Any takers on the over? Anyone?

CONTINUED: 1 2 Next

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9240106

bucksfan
02-17-2006, 01:55 PM
I didn't know where to post this... here or Fantasy Island. I haven't included the second page of the article; if interested, you can find it by clicking on the link.

Anyway, the reason I posted it is because of the bolded statement... which IMHO offended OUR Adam Dunn.

Have any of you ever thought of Adam Dunn that way? Does he project that image in your eyes? Does he project that image in the eyes of other players?

I guess he does to the reporter who wrote this article and it just kind of, well, ticked me off.

I'd agree with his take on Chris Shelton being a great pickup, but from the interviews I've ever heard with Adam, he sure as heck does not project that personality to me - far from it.

creek14
02-17-2006, 02:20 PM
I watched him try to flirt with a girl in a bar in Sarasota and the words smooth and suave sure didn't come to mind.

Of course, I see nothing wrong with *hayseed charm*. Sure beats *big town schmuck*.

Dom Heffner
02-17-2006, 04:09 PM
I watched him try to flirt with a girl in a bar in Sarasota and the words smooth and suave sure didn't come to mind.

Michael Jordan had much better success when he was there. I think I met three different girls who claimed to have spent some rather quality time with him.

Which bar, creek? Gecko's?

It's been so long since I've hung out down there I have no idea where the ball players go anymore.

I remember one time being at Gecko's and standing in a line for the bathroom so long that it actually was out the bathroom door and around the corner. Frank Thomas didn't see that, and he just opened the door and walked past all of us and grabbed a stand-up toilet to do his thing. He cut in front of 20 people and not one of us said a word.

On his way out, he realized what he did, and was the most apologetic person ever. Really nice guy.

Later on in the evening, Frank squeezed through a group of us and his butt grazed my hand.

I said to my friend, who could barely hear me, "Frank Thomas' a** just hit my hand."

To which he replied very loudly, "You just grabbed Frank Thomas' a**?"

There are moments in your life when you just want to go and dig yourself a very deep hole and climb in it.

This wasn't one of them. I wanted to blast myself into orbit for thirty years so I could spend the time reminding myself to wait until the guy is out of earshot before mentioning something like that. :)

creek14
02-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Which bar, creek? Gecko's?
Daiquiri Deck out on Siesta Key. He was with Austin and Danny and this chick was hitting on him hard. I could have taken her out with one swat, but I digress.

Hey Dom, I'm gonna be in Tampa for a conference the week of 19 Jun. If you can tear yourself away from the breaking news on your computer, we should grab a drink. :all_cohol

We can talk politics. ;)

bucksfan
02-17-2006, 11:10 PM
I think he has the small-town/country tone about him, but not really in that "goll-ee sir" sorta way - more like- oh hell... I don't know. Why am I even talking about this?!?! creeeek??? creeeeeeek???!?!?!

I will now refrain from analyzing this any more ;) ;)

Dom Heffner
02-18-2006, 11:45 AM
creek- would be happy to. However, I must warn you, that I am much more agreeable in person, which sort of makes me lose some charm, I think. :)

Let me know when you're in town. We'll go to some place cool.

I'm going to see Aimee Mann tonight downtown, so maybe me and the lady can scout out some locations while we're there. :)