PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comment from Jerry

reds44
02-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Per Marc's blog

SARASOTA -- So, what position is Scott Hatteberg going to play with his new team?

"I know thereís a pretty good player at first base," he said.

No, he won't be unseating Adam Dunn anytime soon, but the 36-year-old didn't seem to mind all that much. Hatteberg said he was "thrilled" that the Reds reeled him in so he wouldn't have to accept what he deemed "lesser jobs" he also was considering with a week to go before the start of spring training.

Now that he's in place, Hatteberg said he'll do whatever is asked of him.

"Iíll try to mix in wherever I can," he said. "Thatís going to be up to Jerry and the guys. Iíll be ready, however they want me."

Narron said he sees Hatteberg as the backup first baseman for the time being, fitting in behind Dunn and serving as a bat off the bench.

"He gives us tremendous insurance at first if Dunner canít play or there is a trade made or somebody gets injured," said Narron. "Heís a professional hitter, heís a guy thatís going to put the ball in play. Heís a tough out when he comes up to bat; heís not going to give away at-bats. The thing that weíve got right now, weíve got quite a few veteran guys for our bench, which has a lot of pluses."

In theory, Hatteberg also could serve as an emergency catcher -- but it probably would take an emergency to get him behind the plate again. He gave up catching after the 2001 season (when he threw out an MLB-worst 10 of 125 baserunners trying to steal for Boston) and hasn't appeared in a game there since.

"Itís been four years," he said. "But Iíll do whatever, knock the cobwebs off."

Am I reading to much into this, or are there some hidden messages?

creek14
02-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Could mean one of the OFers and Adam could move back to left.

Chip R
02-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Per Marc's blog

Am I reading to much into this, or are there some hidden messages?
If you read that entry backwards it says "Paul is dead". ;)

Red Leader
02-17-2006, 05:59 PM
If you read that entry backwards it says "Paul is dead". ;)

Does that mean Jessie isn't really Paul's son?

My 7 year old would be devestated. :cry:

Danny Serafini
02-17-2006, 07:44 PM
You're reading too much into it. Insurance is just that, insurance.

Team Clark
02-17-2006, 08:54 PM
You're reading too much into it. Insurance is just that, insurance.

Unless you put a claim in....well then that becomes a NIGHTMARE!!!!

TeamBoone
02-17-2006, 09:34 PM
You're reading too much into it.

I thought only women did that! :p:

GAC
02-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Could mean one of the OFers and Adam could move back to left.

Yep. And we have a volatile (injury prone) OF, which could cause Dunn to be moved back to the OF and Scott playing 1B.

Forgive me - but I've been noticing this tendency on here to basically (IMO) over-analyze and try to "pick apart" every little thing our manager or FO personnel says. Like some are being way too critical. I find it kind of funny. :lol:

SirFelixCat
02-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Yep. And we have a volatile (injury prone) OF, which could cause Dunn to be moved back to the OF and Scott playing 1B.

Forgive me - but I've been noticing this tendency on here to basically (IMO) over-analyze and try to "pick apart" every little thing our manager or FO personnel says. Like some are being way too critical. I find it kind of funny. :lol:

Me thinks it's a bunch of Reds fans getting anxious for baseball season :thumbup:

Phil in BG
02-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I just think he's saying Hatteberg is a good player to have on the bench and he could help in many ways.

GAC
02-19-2006, 07:58 AM
I have to say that I love your sig at the bottom Phil. :lol:

Phil in BG
02-19-2006, 08:34 AM
I have to say that I love your sig at the bottom Phil. :lol:

Thanks GAC. Isn't it true though? We want change, but only the changes we agree with. :)

KronoRed
02-19-2006, 12:23 PM
If an OF got traded I'd want Deno starting before Hatteberg, or Freel to the OF and Rich (The Horror) Aurilia splitting time with Olmedo/Bergolla at 2nd before moving Dunn.

Maybe that's just me :dunno: