PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hancock released

RFS62
02-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Per Marc's blog....

SARASOTA -- On the first day of spring training workouts, the Reds released Josh Hancock. The pitcher came to camp 17 pounds over his requested reporting weight, and with so many pitchers already contending for valuable mound time, Jerry Narron decided to get rid of the 27-year-old right-hander.

"At the end of the year last year, the last day in St. Louis when I talked to these players, I told these guys to give themselves a chance to be successful," said Narron. "I said the only way you can do that is being committed, by working out this winter and coming to spring training in shape, taking seriously what youíre doing.

"I have no clue what Josh Hancock was doing. As far as I know, he might have been running a marathon all winter long. He may have been throwing off the mound. But he was 17 pounds over his requested reporting weight. Can he be a successful major league pitcher 17 pounds more than heís asked to be? Maybe. But we looked at last year, and he was on the disabled list for 133 games, and just did not see the commitment that we wanted to see this winter. So we let him go the first day of spring training.

"I hope he has a great major league career. I hope this opens his eyes to exactly what he needs to be to be a great major league pitcher. But it goes back to what I just said Ė we just didnít see the commitment, so weíre going to give him the opportunity to go somewhere else."

Asked if everyone else's physicals checked out OK, Narron kept going.

"Iím a guy that believes in treating everybody with respect and honesty, and everybody in that clubhouse I definitely will do that with," he said. "But I am not going to sit here and tell you Iíll treat everybody the same. I believe you earn the right to do different things in this game. There might be a player come in here tomorrow thatís 50 pounds overweight, but if he does, he better have had a real good year last year."

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2006/02/sending-message.asp

OnBaseMachine
02-18-2006, 09:54 AM
About time.

I'm hoping Aurilia, Womack, and Milton show up looking like this(with a few more pieces of clothing on)...

http://www.abramsmediation.com/8%20-%20Sumo%20Wrestler.jpg

creek14
02-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Wow, Jerry isn't messing around.

Jpup
02-18-2006, 10:04 AM
DanO will resign him. :laugh:

max venable
02-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Hey...I like that approach. JN is saying, "Hey guys, let's get serious."

RFS62
02-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Sounds like Josh went on the Danny Graves offseason training plan.

Gain weight, but end up feeling really small.

oneupper
02-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Second dismissal for Josh. Magallanes of the Venezuelan Winter League sent him home after 5 dismal starts.

As for the 17 pounds, blame the "arepas".

Tommyjohn25
02-18-2006, 10:34 AM
I'm digging the spark behind what Narron is saying here, the jury is still out on Narron with me for the most part, but this...I likey.

Phil in BG
02-18-2006, 10:42 AM
There is no room for someone not committed. I think this shows Jerry understands very well his own job is on the line.

Tommyjohn25
02-18-2006, 10:44 AM
I still don't understand how a professional athlete can let him/herself gain that much weight, especially in such a short amount of time. It just doesn't make sense to me.

NC Reds
02-18-2006, 10:48 AM
I still don't understand how a professional athlete can let him/herself gain that much weight, especially in such a short amount of time. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I agree with this 100%. Maybe I just like money too much, but I would try to maximize my ability (and my wallet) at all times. Getting out of shape just starts you out in the spring behind the guys who worked hard.

Lack of conditioning was one of the many reasons I could never stand Danny Graves.

westofyou
02-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Just sad, the Brewers have a program that involves the players connecting with the training staff every two weeks about their progress on specific programs designed for them. I assume each Reds player is given a program that fits their body type and focuses on weak spots and injured areas, then I would expect the training staff to dog the players.

But in the end it's the player who puts that twinkie in their mouth.

On a side note Dan O'Brien is batting an amazing 1.000 in absolute suckitude and the residue that it leaves.

Tommyjohn25
02-18-2006, 10:57 AM
I agree with this 100%. Maybe I just like money too much, but I would try to maximize my ability (and my wallet) at all times. Getting out of shape just starts you out in the spring behind the guys who worked hard.

Lack of conditioning was one of the many reasons I could never stand Danny Graves.

Not only that, but it's part of their job to stay in shape, they get paid to do so. I hold two jobs, have for some time, and I still find the time to work out five days a week because I think health and fitness is important. These baseball players have roughly a four month offseason where all they have to do that is job related is work out and hone their skills...doing anything short of that is inexcuseable, if I and many people like me can find the time with our normal lives and schedules to stay in shape, I'm quite sure that these athletes can too.

Team Clark
02-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Maybe he had a gland disorder??

Tommyjohn25
02-18-2006, 11:50 AM

That very well could be the case, and if it is, my statement isn't directed at him. But it still applies to every healthy athlete out there who decide to let themselves go due to sheer laziness.

KronoRed
02-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Good 1st step

Now, Womack and half the pitching staff should go next.

Far East
02-18-2006, 11:57 AM
I have some mixed feelings here.

Agree with most of you that Narron has used Hancock to set an example for the other Reds' players, which will likely be great in the long run.

But there have been plenty of overweight big leaguers -- mostly pitchers (F. Valenzuela, G. Perry, D. Wells, R. Rueschel come to mind) who were very successful.

And what if Hancock's added weight turns out to be 17 pounds of muscle? Is that good or bad?

Jerry said: "There might be a player come in here tomorrow thatís 50 pounds overweight, but if he does, he better have had a real good year last year."

Well, compared to the average Red hurler, Hancock had a spectacular, albeit only 14 inning, season in '05:

W --- L --- ERA ---- G --- IP ------ H --- R --- ER -- BB --- SO

1 --- 0 --- 1.93 --- 11 --- 14.0 ---11 ----4 ---- 3 --- 1 ---- 5

Mixed feelings also because I really liked the way Hancock could command his breaking pitches, both in and out of the strike zone.

But Narron has wasted no time -- by cutting Josh -- to erase "Interim" from Jerry's '05 title.

Tommyjohn25
02-18-2006, 12:04 PM
And what if Hancock's added weight turns out to be 17 pounds of muscle? Is that good or bad?
title.

Well, probably bad considering that over the course of a fairly short offseason, it would probably be 17 pounds of BALCO, not muscle. ;) :p:

Dom Heffner
02-18-2006, 12:08 PM
And what if Hancock's added weight turns out to be 17 pounds of muscle?

Pretty tough to do in that short of time without some "help." Solid muscle comes on less than a pound a month. In addition, 17 pounds of muscle would be even more incredible considering that he would also be losing some body fat if he was working out that hard to put it on.

Don't get me wrong- some of what Narron said bothered me- like he didn't know if Hancock could be a good pitcher at that weight- I mean, if he could be good at any weight, if it's that big of a mystery,then don't give someone a workout program with some arbitrary number to meet.

However, the bottom line is that they asked him to do it and he didn't, and that is simply not acceptable.

membengal
02-18-2006, 12:47 PM
I have no problems with this at all, and am pleased if it helps send a general message that playtime is over. Time for players to feel pressure and stress, and it starts with expectations that are required to be met with real consequences if they are not.

marcshoe
02-18-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm beginning to think that the Reds now understand the current state of their pitching staff, and realize that what they've been calling "promise" is something less than mediocrity, and can be jettisoned with no harm. Now it would be ice if they could find some Actual Major Leaguers to add to the rotation.

CrackerJack
02-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Wow, 17 pounds is a lot. I can't imagine gaining that much weight in half a year's time, that's just pure laziness and lack of effort, applaud this move. If he has a gland problem that severe, I would think/hope the Reds' would know about it and things might be different.

Narron's point is a good one; David Wells can get away with being a slob, Josh Hancock, at this point, cannot. Ya gotta earn that right first.

Jaycint
02-18-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm beginning to think that the Reds now understand the current state of their pitching staff

Thanks Jim Beattie. :D

"Dear Bob, they all suck. Can I be GM now?"

Reds1
02-18-2006, 12:58 PM
I love it! I like what I see. He wasn't going to make it anyways, but even if he would have this is a sign that the reds are serious. Good job!

RedsManRick
02-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Got to like the approach. If you haven't proven yourself, you don't get any slack. There's a part of me that thinks all the Aurilia talk is merely the fire they want to keep under Encarnacion's butt. They know he's got a ton of talent and simply don't want him to become complacent, Kearns style. I'm really interested to see who makes the bullpen though. The Hancock cut really sets a tone.

Team Clark
02-18-2006, 01:02 PM
That very well could be the case, and if it is, my statement isn't directed at him. But it still applies to every healthy athlete out there who decide to let themselves go due to sheer laziness.

I was just kidding. Reminds me of Jimmy haynes showing up WAY out of shape. No reason at all to show up not ready to pitch with your CAREER on the line.:bang:

Jpup
02-18-2006, 01:12 PM
I would like to know why Jerry Narron is sending players home? I would think that Krivsky is the man that should be doing that. There is no way that Narron should have power to do such things. I would think that surely Krivsky approved this before it happenned or Narron could be in hot water with his new boss.

Team Clark
02-18-2006, 01:24 PM
I would like to know why Jerry Narron is sending players home? I would think that Krivsky is the man that should be doing that. There is no way that Narron should have power to do such things. I would think that surely Krivsky approved this before it happenned or Narron could be in hot water with his new boss.

That would be like having to ask the Principal if it was OK to kick a kid out of class. Manager's run the club, GM's oversee it. Narron was well within bounds.

Jpup
02-18-2006, 01:27 PM
That would be like having to ask the Principal if it was OK to kick a kid out of class. Manager's run the club, GM's oversee it. Narron was well within bounds.

I disagree. Jerry Narron has no business picking out who makes the team. He should just coach the guys he has and quit talking to the media. His firing won't be soon enough for me.

TeamBoone
02-18-2006, 01:27 PM
I have some mixed feelings here.

Agree with most of you that Narron has used Hancock to set an example for the other Reds' players, which will likely be great in the long run.

But there have been plenty of overweight big leaguers -- mostly pitchers (F. Valenzuela, G. Perry, D. Wells, R. Rueschel come to mind) who were very successful.

I'm sure if the weight gain was muscle, this would not have happened (unless it was steroid induced, of course).

I think the key word here is "successful". Though Josh may have put up a few decent numbers, that does not translate into successful.

He flat out told them all at the end of last year that they were NOT to report to ST out of shape, but Josh did. In addition, I think the even bigger aspect is that JR took this one step further... he viewed it as a lack of committment.

In my mind, by releasing him JR did not make an example of him... JH did that to himself.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that Reds trainers do in fact keep tabs on players' offseason conditioning. I don't know, maybe he lied about what he was doing or what he was doing wasn't working and he failed to mention that.

TeamBoone
02-18-2006, 01:33 PM

Jerry Narron has no business picking out who makes the team. He should just coach the guys he has and quit talking to the media. His firing won't be soon enough for me.

From the Enquirer article: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060218/SPT04/302180008/1071

The move with Hancock was Narron's call, but new general manager Wayne Krivsky signed off on it.

"Wayne and I have the same type of ideas on ways to turn this organization around," Narron said. "We believe in guys earning their way, not just giving it to them."

Redsland
02-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Hal's fact-checker must've gotten canned, because he's apparently proofreading Fay's work now.

;)

Gallen5862
02-18-2006, 02:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions
Cincinnati Reds Named Ken Parker professional scout; released pitcher Josh Hancock.
Does anyone have any information about Ken Parker our new scout?

Gallen5862
02-18-2006, 02:11 PM
I found this information. This looks like a great hire.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/cin/y2006/m02/d18/c1314608.jsp
Reds hire 'Squeaky' Parker
02/18/2006 12:18 PM ET
Cincinnati Reds

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky on Saturday hired legendary scout Ken "Squeaky" Parker.
Parker, 69, will work for the Reds as a professional scout.

"Squeaky is a tremendous baseball person whose experience and expertise in scouting are equaled by very few in the game," Krivsky said. "We hold him in the same high regard as we do Gene Bennett and Larry Barton. Squeaky is a very welcome addition to the Reds family."

Parker has been a scout for the Philadelphia Phillies, Baltimore Orioles, San Francisco Giants and most recently the Pittsburgh Pirates, where he was a special assistant to the general manager. He also worked for Major League Baseball's scouting bureau.

He signed such notable Major League players as Will Clark, Matt Williams, Charlie Hayes, Jeff Brantley, Robby Thompson and Mike Remlinger.

Parker also spent time as the Minor League hitting coordinator for the Pirates and in 2003 managed the Baton Rouge River Bats to the independent Southeastern League championship.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

pedro
02-18-2006, 02:12 PM

Not to defend Hancock b/c I don't think he was of any use but I really don't agree with your belief that the manager is the one who should be making final roster determinations. I certainly believe manager should have input but a GM would be stupid to cede total control of roster management to the manager.

It's the Managers job to make do with the players that the GM gives him, not the other way around.

pedro
02-18-2006, 02:15 PM

And your analogy is wrong IMO. If Narron had sent Hancock home for the day, that would have been like a teacher kicking someone out of class. Releasing Hancock is like expelling him from school, and that is the Principals job, not the teachers.

Redsland
02-18-2006, 02:26 PM
AReleasing Hancock is like expelling him from school, and that is the Principals job, not the teachers.
Voice of experience?

:D

westofyou
02-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Voice of experience?

Assistant Principal in my case.

pedro
02-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Voice of experience?

Yup, that's how it went down on Beverly Hills 90210.

creek14
02-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Actually, the principal usually suspends and the superintendent expels.

So to speak.

pedro
02-18-2006, 02:57 PM

So to speak.

In that case I'm glad John Allen isn't in charge anymore.

max venable
02-18-2006, 02:59 PM
I have no problems with this at all, and am pleased if it helps send a general message that playtime is over. Time for players to feel pressure and stress, and it starts with expectations that are required to be met with real consequences if they are not.
Exactly! Well said. :beerme:

Team Clark
02-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Not to defend Hancock b/c I don't think he was of any use but I really don't agree with your belief that the manager is the one who should be making final roster determinations. I certainly believe manager should have input but a GM would be stupid to cede total control of roster management to the manager.

It's the Managers job to make do with the players that the GM gives him, not the other way around.

Well fortunately I read the article today and knew that Krivsky signed off on his release. I do NOT believe, no matter how many words you try to put in my mouth, that FINAL roster decisions should be made by the Manager. I don't even know how you got that out of my comments. Hancock being whacked by Narron is not a FINAL roster decision in the way you are trying to impose. This wasn't whether or not he was the 5th man in the rotation or long reliever decision. This IMO was a disciplinary measure. Narron, took action and it went through the right process. I liked Hancock's stuff, sorry to see him go.

Team Clark
02-18-2006, 03:35 PM
In that case I'm glad John Allen isn't in charge anymore.

Don't worry he is still meddling. He tried to play his hand in the 1st Base Coach situation yesterday. The Reds need to go ahead and eat his contract before he cause any more problems.

pedro
02-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Well fortunately I read the article today and knew that Krivsky signed off on his release. I do NOT believe, no matter how many words you try to put in my mouth, that FINAL roster decisions should be made by the Manager. I don't even know how you got that out of my comments. Hancock being whacked by Narron is not a FINAL roster decision in the way you are trying to impose. This wasn't whether or not he was the 5th man in the rotation or long reliever decision. This IMO was a disciplinary measure. Narron, took action and it went through the right process. I liked Hancock's stuff, sorry to see him go.

That's cool. I just got the impression from your post (as did Jpup) that you were saying that the Manager should have the final say on roster moves.

I had read the article and knew that Krivsky signed off on it too.

traderumor
02-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Don't worry he is still meddling. He tried to play his hand in the 1st Base Coach situation yesterday. The Reds need to go ahead and eat his contract before he cause any more problems.
The good news is that it doesn't look like his shenanigans will carry any weight with the new sheriff in town. I think he will be gone as soon as the Reds get a handle on non-baseball operations, or he makes a total donkey of himself, whichever comes first (I'm betting on making a donkey of himself ;) ).

creek14
02-18-2006, 03:59 PM
The good news is that it doesn't look like his shenanigans will carry any weight...
:laugh:

Team Clark
02-18-2006, 04:00 PM
That's cool. I just got the impression from your post (as did Jpup) that you were saying that the Manager should have the final say on roster moves.

I had read the article and knew that Krivsky signed off on it too.

All good. :D

Team Clark
02-18-2006, 04:01 PM
The good news is that it doesn't look like his shenanigans will carry any weight with the new sheriff in town. I think he will be gone as soon as the Reds get a handle on non-baseball operations, or he makes a total donkey of himself, whichever comes first (I'm betting on making a donkey of himself ;) ).

Couldn't agree more. He's really just opening himself up for the new regime to see what he's all about. Nice knowin' ya John.

princeton
02-18-2006, 04:17 PM

You're talking about really good pitchers, of course, not Reds pitchers.

I read an article years ago about fat pitchers and how even good fat pitchers performed better when they were less fat. I can't recall the author (Bill James, perhaps?) but it seemed pretty suggestive.

When a guy is borderline, showing up fat is probably a very bad sign.

traderumor
02-18-2006, 04:26 PM
:laugh:
It took me a minute, an unintentional pun...

While I'm here, with some extra poundage on Josh, I think they were most concerned about creating the extra expense for drying agent on the mound when he pitched due to the buckets of sweat he produces even when in shape (John Allen whispering in their ear, of course)...man, not only did Narron show some cajones, look at all the potential one-liners he's provided for this season.

traderumor
02-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Marty comes on the air and announces a rain delay without a cloud in the sky after Hancock took the mound...

gm
02-18-2006, 04:36 PM
I assume each Reds player is given a program that fits their body type and focuses on weak spots and injured areas, then I would expect the training staff to dog the players.

I wonder if Austin Kearns is working the ol' medicine ball hard this weekend?

traderumor
02-18-2006, 04:39 PM
His wake up call was last year

johngalt
02-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Couldn't agree more. He's really just opening himself up for the new regime to see what he's all about. Nice knowin' ya John.

Wow, Eric, you've certainly got a great love for John Allen.

If you're nice enough, maybe he can even get an autographed bat for you before he leaves.

Team Clark
02-18-2006, 05:42 PM
You're talking about really good pitchers, of course, not Reds pitchers.

I read an article years ago about fat pitchers and how even good fat pitchers performed better when they were less fat. I can't recall the author (Bill James, perhaps?) but it seemed pretty suggestive.

When a guy is borderline, showing up fat is probably a very bad sign.

Sid Fernandez comes to mind.

traderumor
02-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Sid Fernandez comes to mind.Maybe he didn't last as long as he might have, though, plus he had a very large frame.

Team Clark
02-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Wow, Eric, you've certainly got a great love for John Allen.

If you're nice enough, maybe he can even get an autographed bat for you before he leaves.

I'll pass. Wouldn't want to be guilty by association. :laugh:

GAC
02-18-2006, 07:11 PM

So to speak.

Maybe the "Principal" should have gave Josh a couple of cracks, or maybe detention where he had to write "I will not come into class overweight" 500 times on the chalkboard. :lol:

I'm sure Hancock was already on a thin ice to be begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last person being released. Others certainly deserve it. ;)

WVRedsFan
02-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Assistant Principal in my case.

Well...20 years ago when I was a principal, I couldn't expel anyone. That was the Board of Education's job. I could suspend them, but not expel them.

Oh, and btw, there's probably more to this than 17 pounds Josh gained.

johngalt
02-18-2006, 08:33 PM
I'll pass. Wouldn't want to be guilty by association. :laugh:

You'd pass on a bat autographed by the Reds? That's not what I hear.

TeamBoone
02-18-2006, 08:39 PM
I think the players took notice by the two statement toward the end of the article.

02/18/2006 1:30 PM ET
Notes: Overweight Hancock released
Narron sends bold disciplinary statement through clubhouse
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- In a matter of minutes on Saturday, Josh Hancock went from being a Reds pitcher to a cautionary tale.
Manager Jerry Narron's message to his players has been to be ready to work. He drove that point home by making an example out of Hancock. The right-hander was released by the club just before pitchers and catchers set foot on the field for their first Spring Training workout.

Narron said that Hancock, a non-roster player, reported to camp 17 pounds overweight. After the move was announced, Narron recalled a speech he made to his players on the last day of the 2005 season in St. Louis.

"I told these guys to give themselves a chance to be successful," Narron said. "The only way you can do that is by being committed, working out this winter and coming to Spring Training in shape. Take serious what you're doing, even if you're in the winter. I have no clue what Josh Hancock did."

Hancock was 1-0 with a 1.93 ERA in 11 relief appearances last season, but he spent most of the year on the disabled list with a strained right groin. The 27-year-old did not pitch in his first game until September. Last month when the Reds signed pitcher Grant Balfour, Hancock was taken off the 40-man roster to clear space, and he was signed to a Minor League deal with an invite to camp.

That invitation was quickly rescinded.

"Can he be a successful Major League pitcher at 17 pounds more than he was asked to be? Maybe," Narron said. "But we looked at last year. He was on the disabled list for 133 games. We did not see the commitment that we wanted to see this winter."

In an indication of his preference for veterans, Narron also made it known that all players are not created equal in his clubhouse.

"I'm not going to say I'm going to treat everybody the same," Narron said. "I believe you earn the right to do things in this game. A player may come in here tomorrow that's 50 pounds overweight, but if he does, he better have had a real good year last year."

It's rare that a player is sent out on the very first day. The move reverberated around the Reds clubhouse.

"It makes a statement," utility player Ryan Freel said. "It doesn't look like we're messing around. [Narron] is showing that the first day. You could hear a pin drop in here when they announced that. It keeps people in check, and you realize they mean business right now. We're trying to do something positive here and win something."

"It's a surprise for everyone," pitcher Eric Milton said. "That's not a bad thing, because it shows everyone in here you have to be on top of your game. If you're not here and ready to play, then you shouldn't be here. I think it sent a message to everyone."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060218&content_id=1314653&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

TeamBoone
02-18-2006, 08:42 PM

Austin's looking good. He obviously learned his lesson.

4256 Hits
02-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Wow, 17 pounds is a lot. I can't imagine gaining that much weight in half a year's time, that's just pure laziness and lack of effort, applaud this move. If he has a gland problem that severe, I would think/hope the Reds' would know about it and things might be different.

You might want to reread the article....It says he can in 17 lbs over what they wanted him to be it didn't say he put on 17 lbs over the offseason. My guess he was 10-12 over last year and added 5 more in the offseason when they wanted him lose 10-12.

captainmorgan07
02-18-2006, 09:20 PM
this means that the new ownership will pull no punches and take no one's crap and it wsn't like josh hancock was a superstar

Falls City Beer
02-18-2006, 09:27 PM
this means that the new ownership will pull no punches and take no one's crap and it wsn't like josh hancock was a superstar

Yeah, let's see if they take Eric Milton's $8 million crap this season. (Psst. You bet they will)

You know, this tough-guy, fat-camp stuff drove the Reds straight to 89 losses last season.

Try a different tack for '06: the talent tack.

Chip R
02-18-2006, 09:32 PM
With the way Hancock sweats, he'd have lost that 17 lbs the first time he worked out. ;)

Team Clark
02-18-2006, 10:03 PM
You'd pass on a bat autographed by the Reds? That's not what I hear.

LOL! Nope... just one with John Allen's name on it. I would be interested in one signed around 1990-92 in Red sharpie. :laugh:

johngalt
02-19-2006, 02:37 AM
LOL! Nope... just one with John Allen's name on it. I would be interested in one signed around 1990-92 in Red sharpie. :laugh:

Yeah, I bet you would. Then again, that would probably be grounds for revoking your media credential if you had one.

Team Clark
02-19-2006, 03:02 AM
Yeah, I bet you would. Then again, that would probably be grounds for revoking your media credential if you had one.

Absolutely. Good thing I don't need a media credential any longer. I wouldn't want to have to get MLB to step in again.

johngalt
02-19-2006, 03:39 AM
Absolutely. Good thing I don't need a media credential any longer. I wouldn't want to have to get MLB to step in again.

True. Then you wouldn't have your axe to grind with Rob Butcher anymore.

Phil in BG
02-19-2006, 07:31 AM

I hope he has shown his true colors. In the present set-up he has no business being involved with the baseball side. I thought Cast made it very clear in his first news conference the GM would report directly to him and JA would be in charge of the business side. I wanted Cast to fire JA immediately, but I thought I could live with this set-up. I had the fear that JA would still get involved with payroll decisions. I didn't like the fact that JA was setting up the interviews for GM, but again I thought it was more clerical than control. I didn't like the fact that JA was on the selection committee, but again I knew that Cast would make his own decision. Now, he's trying to get involved in a coaching decision. I wanted him to go into his corner and count beans....evidently JA doesn't like counting beans. It is now time to get rid of him.

Matt700wlw
02-19-2006, 08:16 AM

Maybe, but I'd think the medical staff would be aware of this condition....

Team Clark
02-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Maybe, but I'd think the medical staff would be aware of this condition....

I was just kidding about the gland disorder. I went to school with a kid that really did have a gland disorder and he would lose and gain weight rapidly. He handled it pretty good.

Team Clark
02-19-2006, 12:04 PM
True. Then you wouldn't have your axe to grind with Rob Butcher anymore.

A lot of time has passed. It's time Rob and I moved on from that.

Big Klu
02-19-2006, 12:15 PM
I wanted him to go into his corner and count beans....evidently JA doesn't like counting beans. It is now time to get rid of him.

"How about some more beans, Mr. Taggert?"

"I'd say you had enough!"

http://www.thelin.net/laurent/cinema/films/tt0071230/60304.jpg

Boss-Hog
02-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Johngalt and Team Clark, please take your personal feud elsewhere. It has no place on the board.

TeamBoone
02-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Did TC say something wrong?

WVRedsFan
02-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Did TC say something wrong?

I don't thinik so, TB. I think he was attacked and he handled it pretty good.

TeamBoone
02-19-2006, 02:20 PM
I don't thinik so, TB. I think he was attacked and he handled it pretty good.

Thanks; that's what I thought too.

Team Clark
02-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Boss. No feud. I PM'd JG to clear up his issue but he never got back to me. Typical.

Tommyjohn25
02-19-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm grateful for all you bring to the board Team Clark, FWIW.

Team Clark
02-19-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm grateful for all you bring to the board Team Clark, FWIW.

Thanks. This is a great Baseball Forum.

johngalt
02-19-2006, 03:14 PM
First off, TC did not PM me just so everyone's aware.

Secondly, the crack I made about the bat has to do with why Mr. TC got his credentials taken away by the Reds from what I've been told by a friend close to the Reds, which is a big reason why TC makes the comments he does about the Allen/Butcher/Kullman/etc. crew.

Inside info is great. Inside info with a personal slant and agenda needs to be understood for what it is.

Team Clark
02-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Yes I did PM you and I am sure a 3rd party could verify. And you're third hand story is not right. Nice shot though.

My PM was sent yesterday as a matter of fact and asked why you used my name. Not that it is a big deal just unusual.

johngalt
02-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Yes I did PM you and I am sure a 3rd party could verify. And you're third hand story is not right. Nice shot though.

As I sit here at 3:17 p.m., I have not received a PM.

Team Clark
02-19-2006, 03:20 PM
As I sit here at 3:17 p.m., I have not received a PM.

Well, maybe you should check.

Team Clark
02-19-2006, 03:22 PM
As I said earlier a lot of time has passed between Rob and I. My views are slanted based on what I have witnessed. You make it sound like I dog everyone there. There are a lot of great and I do mean GREAT people in the organization. There are some that are not so great. Just like any organization. This is a forum where I can post my views. I did so. Next.

Boss-Hog
02-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks; that's what I thought too.
I'm not really interested in who started what - I don't even care what it is they're arguing about, but I don't want to see it here.

Team Clark
02-19-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm not really interested in who started what - I don't even care what it is they're arguing about, but I don't want to see it here.

You're right. Let's move on.

johngalt
02-19-2006, 03:30 PM
As I said earlier a lot of time has passed between Rob and I. My views are slanted based on what I have witnessed. You make it sound like I dog everyone there. There are a lot of great and I do mean GREAT people in the organization. There are some that are not so great. Just like any organization. This is a forum where I can post my views. I did so. Next.

I'm not saying that you're painting everyone at the Reds that way. I'm just saying that a lot of people here take your inside info as gospel, and I think that people should know if there's background information that could put things you say in perspective. I would certainly want to know and I would think that the people running this site would want that as well.

Chip R
02-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Enough! Boss has asked you twice to take it private. Since you seem incapable of doing that the thread is closed.