PDA

View Full Version : Wagner eyes a bounceback year (2/18)

TeamBoone
02-18-2006, 01:01 PM
2/18/2006

Wagner eyes a bounceback year
Retooled delivery has him optimistic
By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

SARASOTA, Fla. - Ryan Wagner wasn't asked if he had one word to sum up his 2005 season, but that was all he needed.

"Disappointing," the young reliever said Friday.

From the pummeling he took on the mound in the first half to the frustration of sitting out the entire second half of the season with a sore shoulder, Wagner didn't have much fun last year.

He went 3-2 with a 6.11 ERA in 42 relief appearances, with opponents hitting .303 against him, before being shut down at the All-Star break. Toward the end of the season, he insisted he felt healthy and was itching to get back on the mound, but the Reds wanted to make sure his shoulder was fully healed and Wagner had time to work through some mechanical changes in a less pressurized environment.

A quick stint in the Instructional League was all Wagner needed to see that the changes he and pitching coach Vern Ruhle had made in his delivery had paid off.

"Vern worked out what I needed to change, pitching mechanics-wise, and now I feel healthy, I'm not getting sore," said Wagner. "Everything has gone extremely smooth."

He doesn't just mean the transition; the same could be said about his throwing motion. Wagner's delivery was rather violent, but Ruhle has worked with him on keeping a consistent arm angle and having a better idea where the ball is going.

Now, at the ripe old age of 23 and beginning his fourth season of professional baseball, Wagner has a much firmer grasp of how to pitch than he ever has. He reported to camp early and already has thrown a few side sessions under Ruhle's watch.

"He's throwing very well right now," Ruhle said.

One of Ruhle's points of emphasis for the reliever has been focusing on pitch combinations rather than just each individual pitch. With Wagner mixing in his changeup and cutter here and there and the slider that helped entice the Reds to spend a first-round draft pick on him coming back, he could regain the "closer-of-the-future" tag before too long.

"Ryan Wagner has a great sinker, a great slider," said manager Jerry Narron. "It's just a matter of when he's going to put it together."

Wagner's demeanor suggests this might be the year. Two years ago, not far removed from his sophomore year at the University of Houston, Wagner spoke openly about his desire to close games for the Reds in the near future.

With a bounceback season, Wagner could position himself to slide into that role later in the year or down the road, but he didn't mention that possibility Friday. Without being asked specifically about the closer's job, Wagner said he would be happy to pitch anywhere, "whether it's in the fourth inning or the eighth inning," if it would help the team win.

He said no one has told him what his role might be, but even if they did he wouldn't alter his new approach in an effort to hone in on a particular job.

"Whether all the jobs are taken or they're all open, you've got to go out there and pitch your game," he said. "It's completely out of my control besides how I do."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060218/SPT05/602180395/1027

Barbarossa
02-18-2006, 01:23 PM
This IS encouraging. After the trading deadline, and all the veterans in the pen are traded for prospects, we may see Ryan closing. 'Course we could be in the thick of the wild card race and have to keep our veterans in the pen. The Reds have to get off to a good start. Anyone remember where the Reds were picked to finish in 1990?:beerme:

Jr's Boy
02-18-2006, 03:20 PM
I like that Ruhles got him got him mixing up his pitches.

traderumor
02-18-2006, 06:40 PM
It all sounds great in ST, but isn't the wrenching delivery a part of the bite in his slider?

TOBTTReds
02-18-2006, 08:26 PM
It all sounds great in ST, but isn't the wrenching delivery a part of the bite in his slider?

Exactly what I was thinking when reading this. Sure hope that slider still slides.

11BarryLarkin11
02-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Wagner was awesome in April and May last season, so I think a very good season is on the way in 2006. Trying to conceal and pitch through his injury was a foolish move, but it doesn't alter the fact that he was nails in the early part of the year. A healthy Wagner will be a very good thing for the Reds in 2006.

wheels
02-18-2006, 10:46 PM
He's still only 23.

captainmorgan07
02-18-2006, 10:52 PM
as has been stated he's sitll only 23 and is allowed to have his bumps and bruises he did have a very good beginning of last year but struggled after that but if he fixes his problems could be a great closer

harangatang
02-20-2006, 01:39 AM
Maybe the Reds will let Wagner and Coffey rear back and throw some heat like they are capable of now that O'Brien is gone.

Highlifeman21
02-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Two years ago, not far removed from his sophomore year at the University of Houston, Wagner spoke openly about his desire to close games for the Reds in the near future.

Why in the world is Wagner's name not included in the closer by commitee mess? After we drafted him, saw him in his Reds debut and watched him have a fairly successful rookie year, I told my buddy Cyclone792 (who was at that debut, went to many Reds games with me that year, and went with me to RedsFest before I moved to Philly) that I thought Wagner would be the closer of the future... and then Gullett had to go and ruin Ryan's arm (along with the arms of many other Reds).

Honestly, where do we see Ryan Wagner's role with the Reds?

Cyclone792
02-20-2006, 02:21 PM
After we drafted him, saw him in his Reds debut and watched him have a fairly successful rookie year, I told my buddy Cyclone792 (who was at that debut, went to many Reds games with me that year, and went with me to RedsFest before I moved to Philly) that I thought Wagner would be the closer of the future... and then Gullett had to go and ruin Ryan's arm (along with the arms of many other Reds).

July 19th, 2003 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B07190CIN2003.htm)

I remember that game vividly, especially Wagner finishing out the bottom of the 7th with Biggio looking terrible as he popped out. IIRC it was a bobblehead day so the crowd was pretty decent (attendance over 41k), and I don't think I've ever seen a home crowd so excited during a game in which the home club was down by eight runs.

BoydsOfSummer
02-20-2006, 03:36 PM
I was at that game, I'll always remember it because of the pain.

I had gotten a surface of the sun type sunburn a couple days before and I was in the upper deck with the sun just beating me with carcinogenic death rays. I wouldn't leave because I just new I'd miss Wagner's debut. I left immediately after he pitched with nasty bubbles starting to pop up on my skin. I'll never do that again, I promise, no matter who the heck is debuting.