PDA

View Full Version : In Defense of Tony Womack (?)

RedEye
02-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Yes, I was aggravated by this signing as much as the rest of you, but recently I've been trying to rationalize it. Since Castellini is a vet of the Cards organization, he perhaps had a good sense of Womack's intangibles before they made the move (and I really think DanO was following unofficial marching orders from new ownership when he did it).

The signing makes the most sense when we consider the track record of our incumbent lead-off hitter. I really think it's possible that the Reds signed Womack as insurance because Ryan P. Freel (as he is called on my CBS fantasy site) is a loose cannon. I mean, the Reds lineup is SO much better with that 40-steal threat at the top of the order. Lopez is dynamite out of the 2 spot, but not much at lead-off. Since Freel has a penchant for living recklessly, just like he plays, Womack makes more sense as an speedy and dependable (if patently unspectacular) veteran.

Don't get me wrong: I love Freel's intensity and commitment to sacrificing himself for the team. However, I'm not sure I'd really want to know him personally... or hang out with him off the field. I know he just got community service last time, but Freel clearly has a drinking problem and is a brawl waiting to happen (remember the run-in with D'Angelo Jimenez? Admittedly another prickley character, but it takes two to tangle). Combine this with his breakneck playing style, and there's not much likliehood Freel is going to play the whole year.

Though he doesn't do anything as well as Freel, Womack's intangibles as a veteran leader would be a good steadying force should disaster strike.
What the Reds have against William Bergolla's overall skills is another question, but he certainly lacks experience as a lead-off hitter. Perhaps that's the insurance they want. Just in case.

Red Thunder
02-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Even as a reserve player his .316 lifetime OBP doesn't cut it as a leadoff hitter. He even sunk to a Castro-like .276 with the Yankees last season.

I only see his value as a pinch runner, but that not actually worth a roster spot in my opinion.

Raisor
02-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Womack leading off makes my hair hurt.

KronoRed
02-18-2006, 04:30 PM
If Womack leads off the terrorists win.

If not Freel then Lopez.

Raisor
02-18-2006, 04:33 PM
If Womack leads off the terrorists win.

John (by God) Wayne would NEVER let Tony Womack lead off.

RedEye
02-18-2006, 04:35 PM
I realize TW's bad on-base percentage makes him less attractive as a lead-off hitter. But doesn't it make sense to have another option behind Freel besides Bergolla? With his power, Lopez is simply more effective down in the line-up. And no one is responding to the other part of my argument, which is that there is more at play here than simply statistics. Freel's combustibility also plays a role.

KronoRed
02-18-2006, 04:40 PM
After the 1st inning it really doesn't matter who is batting 1st, the 5th guy will end up leading off just as much as the 1st, we should put our best players high in the lineup.

IMO

Raisor
02-18-2006, 04:42 PM
I realize TW's bad on-base percentage makes him less attractive as a lead-off hitter. But doesn't it make sense to have another option behind Freel besides Bergolla? With his power, Lopez is simply more effective down in the line-up.

Tony Womack was one of the one or two worst major league players in the league last year. My dead cat could get on base more and be more valuable then he can. I'll take Rich Aurillia (the HORROR!!!) over Tony Womack 7 days of the week (and twice on Sundays).

And no one is responding to the other part of my argument, which is that there is more at play here than simply statistics. Freel's combustibility also plays a role.

Freel should be at 2nd everyday he's healthy/not in the bighouse or whatever. If Freel can't go, play Rich (the Horror) Aurillia. Lopez leads off by default if Freel can't go. Rich (the Horror) never bats higher then 8th on the Raisor's team.

KronoRed
02-18-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm adopting "Rich (the Horror) Aurillia"

Your royalty check is in the mail.

Red Thunder
02-18-2006, 04:45 PM
If you consider speed a necessity for a leadoff hitter, Womack certainly is the only backup (infielder) to Freel. Otherwise you could start Aurillia as well. In a perfect world Denorfia could play the infield and fill in for Freel if necessary.

Also, Womack was somehow able to get on base at a .349 clip with the Cardinals in 2004. I hope the Reds carry "only" 11 pitchers, so it wouldn't matter as much to have him on the bench.

pedro
02-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Sorry about your cat Raisor.

Raisor
02-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Sorry about your cat Raisor.

well, it was 20 years ago.

That makes Womack that much worse.

My current kitty is 18, but I think he'd probably get on base more then Womack too. Boots is a crafty vet.

Redsland
02-18-2006, 04:54 PM
If you consider speed a necessity for a leadoff hitter, Womack certainly is the only backup (infielder) to Freel.
What if you think speed is overrated on a team of sluggers?

Raisor
02-18-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm adopting "Rich (the Horror) Aurillia"

Your royalty check is in the mail.

Once again, Raisor is the trend setter.

Puffy owes me about a million bucks at this point, since he steals my best lines.

Redsland
02-18-2006, 04:56 PM
I loath stealing lines.

:)

creek14
02-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Once again, Raisor is the trend setter.

Okay Mr Third Person. ;)

Raisor
02-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Okay Mr Third Person. ;)

Just proving Raisor's point, I think. Raisor somehow had all of Redszone writing in the third person for a week.

Sheep.

:evil:

KronoRed
02-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Krono longs for the day that returns

Raisor
02-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Getting back on track here, WayneO (what DID we decide to call the new guy, btw?) would be my Hero if he was able to snooker a case of KFC for Womack.

RFS62
02-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Getting back on track here, WayneO (what DID we decide to call the new guy, btw?) would be my Hero if he was able to snooker a case of KFC for Womack.

Extra Krispy?

RedEye
02-18-2006, 05:17 PM
The Krivsky Name Poll got off to a fast start, but soon died down due to 1) what I assume to be lack of interest and 2) the sense that a nickname, if any, would 'work itself out' going forward.

For the record, the leading nickname right now is 'Kriv' (which I happen to like) with 22 votes. However, the 'Other' category is winning the overall title with 28 points, proving the point that there is really no consensus yet. Kriv works for me, though, and that's what I'll be using.

kbrake
02-18-2006, 06:26 PM
I really dont think its fair to say that Freel has a drinking problem. None of us know him and while the DUI sounded pretty bad. I dont really think anyone knows that much of the details of what happend this second time. Besides as long as he is not behind the wheel, Freel can get loaded as much as he wants and its not going to bother me.

Kc61
02-18-2006, 06:43 PM
In 2004, Tony Womack was a starting player for the NL champ Cardinals with over 550 at bats and a .349 OBP and .307 BA. He can play several positions so, along with Freel, provides versatility in case of injury. He also adds some speed, which most of the Reds lack.

That is the defense of Womack. Like Aurilia last year, this guy is becoming a target of fan frustration. I think he can help, if used properly. Save the frustration for the 12 guys on the mound.

wheels
02-18-2006, 06:50 PM
The frustration stems from the fact that DanO was worrying about Womack, when he should have been concentrating on pitching.

In my mind he's a symptom of the team's pitching woes.

Oh yeah, that and the fact that he can only get on base at a reasonable clip if he hits over .300, and even then his OBP isn't much higher than his BA. He's a slap hitter that depends on luck to be his savior.

...That, and he can't field.

Kc61
02-18-2006, 07:38 PM
The frustration stems from the fact that DanO was worrying about Womack, when he should have been concentrating on pitching.

In my mind he's a symptom of the team's pitching woes.

Oh yeah, that and the fact that he can only get on base at a reasonable clip if he hits over .300, and even then his OBP isn't much higher than his BA. He's a slap hitter that depends on luck to be his savior.

...That, and he can't field.

Well, DanO should have done more to improve the pitching this off season, that's for sure. But I still think everyone is going overboard with this Womack stuff. I had the same view with Aurilia last year.

There are a number of pitchers with over 6 ERAs on this staff who don't get as many negative comments from Reds fans as do Aurilia and Womack.

reds44
02-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Just proving Raisor's point, I think. Raisor somehow had all of Redszone writing in the third person for a week.

Sheep.

:laugh:

reds44 remembers this. Ahh the gold ole' days.

wheels
02-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Well, DanO should have done more to improve the pitching this off season, that's for sure. But I still think everyone is going overboard with this Womack stuff. I had the same view with Aurilia last year.

There are a number of pitchers with over 6 ERAs on this staff who don't get as many negative comments from Reds fans as do Aurilia and Womack.

I'm sure you've seen plenty of negative comments about the pitching staff coming from me.

Waynesky's inherited a huge mess, the least of which is Tony Womack, but if the braintrust puts more faith in his abilities than need be, not only will the staff still be giving up runs by the ton, but the offense will suffer as well.

Playing Womack and Aurilia can only make a bad situation untenable if they're relied upon as everyday players.