PDA

View Full Version : Reds--Dodgers Trade Proposal

Krusty
02-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Throwing out that first day spring training proposal:

Reds trade lb/OF Adam Dunn and LHP Eric Milton to the Dodgers for LHP Odalis Perez, RHP Chad Billingsley and lst baseman Heep Soo Choi.

Reds advantage: Trading Dunn would be painful especially after just locking him up. But Billingsley (one of the top pitching prospects in baseball) gives the Reds a potential number 1 or two starter down the road. Choi is still young enough to adjust...especially with Chris Chambliss working with him. Plus, playing at GAB will be more of an advantage for Choi than Dodger Stadium. Milton and Perez is basically a change of scenery. Milton's style is ill-suited for pitching in GAB and Dodger Stadium is more suited for flyball pitchers. Perez made critical comments last year and the Dodgers don't want any disruptions in the clubhouse and still have in on the block.

Dodgers: One thing the Dodgers are missing a LF with some pop in the bat. Dunn gives them that lefthanded hitter that they can bat between Jeff Kent and Nomar Garciaparra. His contract is affordable the next two years and the Dodgers have the resources to sign him to a longterm deal. Trading Billingsley hurts but hitters like Dunn don't come along that often with the contract he is signed to. They might not be thrilled with Milton but they know Perez needs to go.

KronoRed
02-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Not enough coming back our way for Dunn.

johngalt
02-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Take away Dunn, Billingsley and Choi from the deal and you might have something.

Krusty
02-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Not enough coming back our way for Dunn.

Teams will look at Dunn's numbers in regards to hitting lefthanders and ask why they should give up more.

pedro
02-19-2006, 11:56 AM
blech.

SteelSD
02-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Good Lord no.

Krusty
02-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Good Lord no.

Let's make it simple: Dunn to LA for RHPs Billingsley and Broxton.

SteelSD
02-19-2006, 12:33 PM

Good Lord no.

pedro
02-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Teams will look at Dunn's numbers in regards to hitting lefthanders and ask why they should give up more.

3 year splits of an .801 OPS aren't that bad.

Krusty, I really don't mean to be rude but you've been pimping some version of this trade forever. I have no idea how many threads you've started on the subject, but I'm guessing it is at least 5 and possibly as many 15. I'm OK with you posting you're crazy (IMO) trade ideas but honestly I think it's time for a new idea that doesn't include some variation of Adam Dunn for Odalis Perez.

RedsManRick
02-19-2006, 12:41 PM
For what it's worth, on XM the other day, they had a guy from BA on who basically said Billingsley is the #1 pitching prospect in baseball. He said that he is NOT a #1 overall type guy, but rather a consistent solid #2 who knows how to use his stuff in the Mike Mussina mold. I know people on this board aren't so optimisitic about him.

That said, while I have been an Odalis Perez fan in the past, there's no way I'd want him and Choi as the additional talent in a Dunn deal. Choi is a platoon guy at best and Perez, while a solid #3/4 type guy, isn't what we need to turn things around.

pedro
02-19-2006, 12:42 PM

IMO, you don't trade players like Dunn for prospects who may never actually succeed in the majors. Especially ones that, no matter how good they seem now, are still at least a couple of years from the majors.

OnBaseMachine
02-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Horrible deal for the Reds.

I want rid of Milton badly, but I don't want to give Dunn away just to rid ourselves of Milton.

steig
02-19-2006, 02:32 PM
I want to hold on to Milton. Maybe, just maybe he can turn it around and have a career year. If so we could trade him at the deadline to a contending team and get prospect to help us win in the future. He has no value at this point so why can't I dream/hallucinate:thisyear:

Falls City Beer
02-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Trading away Dunn to rid the Reds of Milton is like sawing your left leg off to extricate your right arm.

Cut Milton before sending along a player whose value at this point dwarfs his contract.

lollipopcurve
02-19-2006, 02:43 PM

I made this same proposal a long time ago -- but in the context that the Reds would have made the determination that Dunn was unsignable. Now that he is signed, I wouldn't even think about trading him for at least another year. And, assuming he continues to perform, they should only consider trading him after they'd determined they couldn't extend him.

westofyou
02-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Trading Dunn won't happen this season, especially to get rid of Miltons contract.

If the Reds want to get rid of Milton, they don't have to give away Dunn, they can give away some money to help pay his ridiculous contract.

I propose the Reds send WMP to the Rockies for Francis or Milton and WMP and 4 million dollars to the Dodgers for Cesar Izurtis and ML pitcher.

johngalt
02-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Trading Dunn won't happen this season, especially to get rid of Miltons contract.

If the Reds want to get rid of Milton, they don't have to give away Dunn, they can give away some money to help pay his ridiculous contract.

I propose the Reds send WMP to the Rockies for Francis or Milton and WMP and 4 million dollars to the Dodgers for Cesar Izurtis and ML pitcher.

I'd say just go Milton for Perez straight up.

Krusty
02-19-2006, 10:05 PM
3 year splits of an .801 OPS aren't that bad.

Krusty, I really don't mean to be rude but you've been pimping some version of this trade forever. I have no idea how many threads you've started on the subject, but I'm guessing it is at least 5 and possibly as many 15. I'm OK with you posting you're crazy (IMO) trade ideas but honestly I think it's time for a new idea that doesn't include some variation of Adam Dunn for Odalis Perez.

Relax man. It has been a slow offseason. Just trying to generate idea whether we should strip down and go in a totally rebuilding process OR try to rebuilding the farm system and possibly acquiring major league talent to possibly make this team a playoff contender at the same time.

pedro
02-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Relax man. It has been a slow offseason. Just trying to generate idea whether we should strip down and go in a totally rebuilding process OR try to rebuilding the farm system and possibly acquiring major league talent to possibly make this team a playoff contender at the same time.

:)

redleg32
02-20-2006, 12:21 AM
I would love to make a trade with the Dodgers. But mine goes like this:
WM Pena,Eric Milton, Jason Larue, and Kent Mercker for Chad Billingsley, Jon Broxton, Joel Guzman, Dioner Navarro, and Cesar Izturis.

RedEye
02-20-2006, 01:12 AM
I'd love to see Harden, Haren, or Joe Blanton in a Reds uni. I really don't see the A's getting rid of any of them at this point though. However, there is one name that hasn't come up yet: Zito. Don't y'all think think he could be the potential 'difference maker' that they are referring to here? Kearns + Bailey for Zito + a top A's prospect (any names?)

Krusty
02-20-2006, 07:47 AM
It depends. For a one year rental, I say no. But if you can sign Zito to a contract extension then maybe.

VI_RedsFan
02-20-2006, 08:08 AM
I'd love to see Harden, Haren, or Joe Blanton in a Reds uni. I really don't see the A's getting rid of any of them at this point though. However, there is one name that hasn't come up yet: Zito. Don't y'all think think he could be the potential 'difference maker' that they are referring to here? Kearns + Bailey for Zito + a top A's prospect (any names?)

I think I would do a Kearns and Bailey for Zito and Melillo, but like Krusty said, Barry needs to agree to a LTC first. I definately say no if he'll just be a one year rental.

I'd also like to see Milton dealt to LA for Perez. A change of scenery type deal for both sides. I think Perez can do well in Cincy. And drafting Ian Kennedy would have me worshipping Kriv.

Now let's say every one of these moves happen, here's the rotation:

Zito
Perez
Harang
Claussen
Wilson/Williams (one of them goes to long relief)

And the defense looks like this:

C LaRue
1B Dunn
2B Freel
3B Encarnacion/Aurilia
SS Lopez
LF Pena
CF Denorfia
RF Griffey

I think that defense looks a lot better than this one:

C LaRue
1B Hatteberg