PDA

View Full Version : Hatcher it is....

Mario-Rijo
02-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Just who I wanted!

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds today announced that Billy Hatcher has joined manager Jerry Narron's Major League staff as first base coach.
Hatcher also will work with the outfielders and as the team's baserunning instructor. He replaces John Moses, who retired Thursday.

The former outfielder played 12 seasons in the big leagues for the Cubs, Astros, Pirates, Reds, Red Sox, Phillies and Rangers. He had a .264 career batting average in 1,233 games from 1984-95.

He played for Cincinnati from 1990-92 and stole 30 bases during the wire-to-wire World Series championship season of 1990. During the 1990 postseason, Hatcher hit .519 overall (14-for-27), including .750 (9-for-12) in the 4-game World Series sweep over the heavily favored Oakland Athletics. He established World Series records for highest batting average for a 4-game series (.750), most consecutive hits in a series (7) and most doubles in a 4-game series (4).

Hatcher spent the last 10 seasons in the Tampa Bay Devil Rays organization, first as a roving Minor League instructor (1996), then as a Minor League coach (1997) and the last 8 seasons as a member of the Major League coaching staff. He spent 5 seasons as the Devil Rays' first base coach (1998-99, 2003-05), 2 seasons as bench coach (2001-02) and 1 season as third base coach (2000).

Hatcher was 1 of 5 candidates for the position, including special consultant to the general manager Ken Griffey Sr., outfield/bunting instructor Ed Napoleon, Minor League outfield/baserunning coordinator Lynn Jones and new advance scout Pete Mackanin.

TeamBoone
02-19-2006, 07:52 PM
02/19/2006 6:47 PM ET
Reds hire Hatcher as first base coach
Narron chooses former Cincy outfielder out of five candidates
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Reds manager Jerry Narron felt that he had five qualified candidates, and five friends, to choose from for the vacant first base coaching position.
On Sunday, Narron decided to hire Billy Hatcher to fill it.

Hatcher, 45, spent the previous 10 seasons coaching in the Devil Rays organization and was the lone candidate from outside the organization to replace John Moses, who abruptly retired Thursday.

After Narron spoke with Hatcher on Saturday and interviewed him on Sunday, he selected the former Reds outfielder over Ken Griffey Sr., Ed Napoleon, Pete Mackanin and Lynn Jones.

"The deciding factor was being able to watch Billy work the last few years," Narron said Sunday evening. "I know what he's all about. I really felt comfortable talking with him yesterday."

Hatcher, who will also work with Reds outfielders, has coached at the big league level the last eight years -- Tampa Bay's entire history -- including the past three years as first base coach on former skipper Lou Piniella's staff.

Reds chief executive officer Bob Castellini and general manager Wayne Krivsky gave Narron complete decision-making authority in naming a coach.

"It was a really difficult decision," Narron said. "All are good people and all are friends of mine. No one tried to influence me away from anybody, which was nice. No one tried to influence me towards anybody either. I appreciate the confidence that Mr. Castellini [had in] me."

The other four candidates will remain with the organization in their current roles. Mackanin was named Major League advance scout last week. Napoleon is entering his third season with the Reds organization as outfield/bunting instructor. Jones was hired this winter as the Reds' Minor League outfield/baserunning coordinator.

Narron asked Griffey, a team consultant and first base coach for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic, to help hitting coach Chris Chambliss at various times during the season.

Hatcher's hiring should spark fond memories for many Reds fans. As part of a 12-year big-league career with seven teams, he played with Cincinnati from 1990-92. His World Series record .750 (9-for-12) average helped Cincinnati sweep Oakland in the 1990 Fall Classic. A .264 lifetime hitter, he batted .519 overall in the '90 postseason.

Narron said Hatcher would be on the job Monday morning.

"Billy is a guy that's very experienced with outfielders and very experienced at coaching first base," Narron said. "He had a very good Major League career and did some outstanding things with the Cincinnati Reds as a player."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060219&content_id=1316008&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Team Clark
02-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Pretty good choice really. Hatcher is VERY upbeat and a really good motivator. A lot of the Reds from the '90 World Championship team have told me he was the "catalyst". They credited him for pushing Eric Davis and keeping everyone loose.

wheels
02-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Pretty funny that the Reds hiring a new first base coach has warranted a sticky.

Is that a first?:laugh:

redsmetz
02-20-2006, 05:45 AM
Pretty good choice really. Hatcher is VERY upbeat and a really good motivator. A lot of the Reds from the '90 World Championship team have told me he was the "catalyst". They credited him for pushing Eric Davis and keeping everyone loose.

Just a quick note here as I need to go walk - Hatcher was a good "meat and potatoes" player - wasn't the flashiest guy, but he hustled (sound like someone else???). He was absolutely lights out in the 90 Series (see

http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/1990_WS.shtml ) 9 for 12, 2 walks. I was surprised though too, looking at those stats - Sabo hit .525 - that was just an awesome awesome series. Hatcher always struck me as a smart ballplayer and hopefully he can convey that to this team - and that's one of Narron's mantras too.

LincolnparkRed
02-20-2006, 11:16 AM
I am not sure if this works any more with today's players but anytime you can bring in guys with ties to the past sucess of the Reds you at least get the fans excited for a little while. I always wondered why the reds didn't do this more.

Living in Chicago I get beat over the head with old Cubs players that never won anything. I won't even count Santo since he is on the radio but it seems that get a lot of mileage out of those players while the Reds don't seem to care as much. then again since I am not in Cincy anymore maybe I just don't hear about it.

Mario-Rijo
02-20-2006, 12:41 PM
eSPIN likes to mix the pot. Their headline on the baseball main page was "Reds elect not to hire Griffey Sr. as 1st base coach". They act like it was his to lose, they didn't even list Napoleon, Mackanin and Jones. There is nearly as much info about Griffey Sr. in an article where he didn't get hired.

Former Reds outfielder Hatcher will coach at first baseAssociated Press

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds hired former outfielder Billy Hatcher as their first base coach, choosing him over Ken Griffey Sr. and three others.

Hatcher, who spent the past three seasons as Tampa Bay's first base coach, also will coach outfielders and baserunning, the team said.

Hatcher interviewed this offseason for managerial openings with the Devil Rays and Florida Marlins. He has coached in the Tampa Bay organization for the last 10 years.

He was picked over Griffey, the father of Cincinnati's star center fielder and a former Reds player himself.

A starter for the 1990 World Series champion Reds, Hatcher also played for Houston, Pittsburgh, Boston, Philadelphia, Texas and the Chicago Cubs during his 12-year career.

The Reds' job opened Thursday when John Moses retired. Manager Jerry Narron said Friday he would discuss the job with Griffey, outfield and bunting instructor Ed Napoleon, minor league outfield and baserunning coordinator Lynn Jones and newly hired advance scout Pete Mackanin.

Griffey was an outfielder on the Big Red Machine teams of the 1970s and played with his son, Ken Jr., in Seattle. He also has been a Reds coach.

For the last few years, Griffey Sr. has been a special consultant to the general manager, helping with scouting and talking to players. He would like a bigger role in the organization.

Griffey Jr. joined his hometown Reds in a trade before the 2000 season. He and his father plan to be part of the U.S. team for the inaugural World Baseball Classic next month -- Griffey Sr. is the first base coach.

KronoRed
02-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Yeah expect ESPN to ask JR over and over "How does it feel to have the Reds refuse to hire your father?"

NoColonBoy
02-20-2006, 01:58 PM
I think that it's particularly noteworthy that Hatcher served on Piniella's staff in TB. How do you think that Narron feels about that?

Phil in BG
02-20-2006, 02:03 PM
I think that it's particularly noteworthy that Hatcher served on Piniella's staff in TB. How do you think that Narron feels about that?

I believe that Narron made the choice single-handedly.

NoColonBoy
02-20-2006, 02:14 PM
I believe that Narron made the choice single-handedly.

Narron may have. I'd go so far to say that I hope he did--a manager should be able to hire his own staff--otherwise, I think that it's unfair to judge the job he does. I also think that it makes it difficult to manage if you're always looking over your shoulder, and Narron has to feel a little heat about the Catellini/Piniella connection.

Redleg75
02-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Just the man for the job. Great choice but I don't believe for a second that Cast wassn't leaning that way. One step closer for a transition to Pinella.

gm
02-20-2006, 05:10 PM
First the Reds hire Ken "Squeaky" Parker as a pro scout, then they bring in Billy Hatcher, who rivals Avery Johnson when it comes to high vocal frequencies

Here's hoping BH can help teach Pena and Freel how to track/catch fly balls and not smack the OF fence (or each other) at full gallop

markymark69
02-20-2006, 05:16 PM
I like the choice. I liked Hatcher as a player and I believe he is a fine addition to the coaching staff. Also read where he is coaching the outfielders and is the baserunning coach. Also good, Hatcher was a tremendous outfielder and a very good base runner. Should benefit the ballclub in a big way.

pedro
02-20-2006, 05:17 PM
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000A1OX5.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

RedLegSuperStar
02-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Just who I wanted!

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds today announced that Billy Hatcher has joined manager Jerry Narron's Major League staff as first base coach.
Hatcher also will work with the outfielders and as the team's baserunning instructor. He replaces John Moses, who retired Thursday.

The former outfielder played 12 seasons in the big leagues for the Cubs, Astros, Pirates, Reds, Red Sox, Phillies and Rangers. He had a .264 career batting average in 1,233 games from 1984-95.

He played for Cincinnati from 1990-92 and stole 30 bases during the wire-to-wire World Series championship season of 1990. During the 1990 postseason, Hatcher hit .519 overall (14-for-27), including .750 (9-for-12) in the 4-game World Series sweep over the heavily favored Oakland Athletics. He established World Series records for highest batting average for a 4-game series (.750), most consecutive hits in a series (7) and most doubles in a 4-game series (4).

Hatcher spent the last 10 seasons in the Tampa Bay Devil Rays organization, first as a roving Minor League instructor (1996), then as a Minor League coach (1997) and the last 8 seasons as a member of the Major League coaching staff. He spent 5 seasons as the Devil Rays' first base coach (1998-99, 2003-05), 2 seasons as bench coach (2001-02) and 1 season as third base coach (2000).

Hatcher was 1 of 5 candidates for the position, including special consultant to the general manager Ken Griffey Sr., outfield/bunting instructor Ed Napoleon, Minor League outfield/baserunning coordinator Lynn Jones and new advance scout Pete Mackanin.

Maybe I'm suffering from a dilusional spell, but didn't RCast meet with Lou Pinnella over the offseason? Well good ol Billy Hatcher was on his coaching staff last year and 90' championship team that Pinnella coached. Maybe this is insentive to bring in good ol Lou to be an advisor or manage next season. Ok, I'll shut up now..

Team Clark
02-20-2006, 09:43 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo?slug=flab10702172146.devil_rays_spring_baseb all_flab107&prov=ap

Zim always look sgood with a Fungo in his hand. Every time I get a chance I try to get within 10 feet of him so I can hear his stories.

alex trevino
02-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Never will forget the home run Hatcher hit for the Astros in the 1986 NLCS