PDA

View Full Version : Trade Winds?

RedEye
02-20-2006, 01:22 AM
Interesting bit from the Middletown Journal on Dunn's playing time at first (Thanks, Revering4Blue!). It also discusses Hatteberg's signing. Did anyone else notice the conspicuous role that the front office plays in this account? I've highlighted the passages that stick out for me:

SARASOTA, Fla. — For those who want to know, those curious about the signing of first baseman Scott Hatteberg, Cincinnati Reds manager Jerry Narron said nothing has changed, that Adam Dunn is the first baseman.

For now.

“If we opened today, Adam Dunn would be at first base,” said Narron.

But Opening Day is six weeks away.

“Hatteberg gives up tremendous insurance if Dunn can’t play first base or a trade is made or there are injuries,” said Narron. “Regardless, Dunn is going to play every day. We’ve seen that (160 games last season). It will take a lot to get him out of the lineup.

“I’m surprised Hatteberg wasn’t signed earlier by somebody,” Narron added. “To get a professional hitter like him, a guy who is a tough out and puts the ball in play and doesn’t give up at-bats, is a big plus.”

Hatteberg showed up in camp Friday and said, “How did I get here? Good question. I think Wayne Krivsky getting the general manager’s job got me here. I jumped at it.

“My agent said there wasn’t much demand, teams were well-stocked at first base,” he added. “I was the odd man out. I don’t want to be just a jersey hanging in the dugout. I don’t know how defined my role is, but Dunn is an unbelievable player and I guess I’ll spell him. . .unless they make a trade.”

Now, is it just me, or are there several themes running throughout this report? It almost sounds like...

1) Hatteberg, Hatteberg's agent Narron AND Krivsky have been in conversations
2) During those conversations, there was discussion of Hatteberg's role with the team pending various MOVES that Krivsky was contemplating in the near future

and most importantly...

3) That all four parties expect a TRADE to occur in the next six weeks that will affect Hatteberg, Dunn, their positions, and their playing time.

Am I crazy or is this implied very strongly here? I think it's going to happen... and I think it's going to be soon. It's like everyone's waiting for the other shoe to drop.

reds44
02-20-2006, 01:34 AM
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a "major trade" made in the near future.

toledodan
02-20-2006, 01:44 AM
kearns or pena also could be traded moving dunn back to the outfield. the fact dunn now has signed a 2 year contract makes him easier to trade. IMO i don't see anyone being moved. no one is going to knock us out with a #1 or #2 starter for dunn.

Slyder
02-20-2006, 01:48 AM
Interesting bit from the Middletown Journal on Dunn's playing time at first (Thanks, Revering4Blue!). It also discusses Hatteberg's signing. Did anyone else notice the conspicuous role that the front office plays in this account? I've highlighted the passages that stick out for me:

SARASOTA, Fla. — For those who want to know, those curious about the signing of first baseman Scott Hatteberg, Cincinnati Reds manager Jerry Narron said nothing has changed, that Adam Dunn is the first baseman.

For now.

“If we opened today, Adam Dunn would be at first base,” said Narron.

But Opening Day is six weeks away.

“Hatteberg gives up tremendous insurance if Dunn can’t play first base or a trade is made or there are injuries,” said Narron. “Regardless, Dunn is going to play every day. We’ve seen that (160 games last season). It will take a lot to get him out of the lineup.

“I’m surprised Hatteberg wasn’t signed earlier by somebody,” Narron added. “To get a professional hitter like him, a guy who is a tough out and puts the ball in play and doesn’t give up at-bats, is a big plus.”

Hatteberg showed up in camp Friday and said, “How did I get here? Good question. I think Wayne Krivsky getting the general manager’s job got me here. I jumped at it.

“My agent said there wasn’t much demand, teams were well-stocked at first base,” he added. “I was the odd man out. I don’t want to be just a jersey hanging in the dugout. I don’t know how defined my role is, but Dunn is an unbelievable player and I guess I’ll spell him. . .unless they make a trade.”

Now, is it just me, or are there several themes running throughout this report? It almost sounds like...

1) Hatteberg, Hatteberg's agent Narron AND Krivsky have been in conversations
2) During those conversations, there was discussion of Hatteberg's role with the team pending various MOVES that Krivsky was contemplating in the near future

and most importantly...

3) That all four parties expect a TRADE to occur in the next six weeks that will affect Hatteberg, Dunn, their positions, and their playing time.

Am I crazy or is this implied very strongly here? I think it's going to happen... and I think it's going to be soon. It's like everyone's waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It could also mean a deal involving Kearns, Denorfia, Womack, Pena, Griffey, or multiple people and Dunn end up back in the OF and then Hatteburg at 1b. I would rather him be coming off the bench personally but i dunno.

RedEye
02-20-2006, 01:53 AM
I didn't intend to argue that the trade had to involve Dunn... just that people on every level of Hatteberg's signing are publicly acknowledging its possible relationship to some sort of trade. I agree, Pena or Kearns could also go. In any case, it is clear that Kriv wanted to cover his butt in case any opportunity arose in the next few weeks to acquire more pitching. Smart guy.

TeamBoone
02-20-2006, 02:32 AM
Didn't we already have this conversation?

redsmetz
02-20-2006, 06:36 AM
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a "major trade" made in the near future.

This was my thought immediately, even before Narron's comments were printed. My son made the exact same comment too. Whether one will be made, of course, is another story. And it would have to be for at least a #2 pitcher. Which player it would be, I wouldn't know, but I would guess either Kearns or Pena and my preference would be Pena - I think long-term, Kearns is going to be the better, multi-dimensional player of that young group.

Heath
02-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Didn't we already have this conversation?

Its Deja-Vu all over again, TB.

As long as Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, and Willy Mo Pena is the outfield & the starting-pitching is status quo, there will always be rumours & speculation.

RedEye
02-20-2006, 11:23 AM
I realize there has been speculation running rampant, even in my own posts on the matter. However, this is the first time I've seen the word 'trade' mentioned so many times coming out the mouths of a player, an agent, the manager, and the GM. I think that's somewhat different than speculation on a fan board. Deja vu, yes, but this time it is 'vu' with more concrete evidence! Or maybe I missed another post sometime back (I just joined).

KronoRed
02-20-2006, 12:26 PM
If we trade an OF my first choice would be Deno or Freel is on the OF before we pit Hatteberg at 1st

DeadRedinCT
02-20-2006, 12:34 PM
If we trade an OF my first choice would be Deno or Freel is on the OF before we pit Hatteberg at 1st

Huh?

Mario-Rijo
02-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Perhaps it has something to do with the rumored deal involving AK on the ORG board! Or perhaps it's just what it is.....talk. I realize we all like to speculate especially when nothing much is going on, but I think we may be overreacting to these particular words.

Rounding Third
02-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Huh?

He is saying if Kearns or Pena is traded, he rather Freel or Deno play in their place. Instead of having Dunn move back to the outfield to take their place and then start Hatteberg.

KronoRed
02-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Yes..thanks rounding 3rd :)

RedEye
02-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Fay quoting Kriv in the Enquirer:

On having 62 players in camp: "It's certainly workable. But being named general manager a week before spring training starts ... you try to add a few more people who think are viable major-league players as role players. In Hatteberg's case, it could be more than a role player.

I realize that this is still speculation, but speculation coming from the GM is different than speculation on a fan board. Kriv actually has the power to DO something!

It won't surprise me if the Reds sign Astacio AND trade an outfielder before the season. Sounds like that's what Kriv's office is working on these days, and he's all but said that's exactly WHY he signed Hatteberg: as MORE than a role player.

At least it's better than what DanO would say, which would be something like this: "We are considering possible speculation on a variety of unlikely moves that could take place in some time-frame yet to be determined. Is that speculation likely to happen? Yes, I would say it's likely."

tts1stros
02-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Yeah... so there's a rumor that one of the Reds guns (Dunn, Pena, Kearns) will be traded? Is that really news? I thought that had been news since the Johnson administration....

Falls City Beer
02-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Yeah... so there's a rumor that one of the Reds guns (Dunn, Pena, Kearns) will be traded? Is that really news? I thought that had been news since the Johnson administration....

Well, I think the idea here, Mr stros, is that perhaps under the new regime thought and speculation might turn into action on the trade front.

TeamBoone
02-20-2006, 04:16 PM
From Marc's blog:

Sunday, February 19, 2006
Astacio on Reds' radar

SARASOTA -- According to some people in the know, the Reds have pondered bringing one of the few remaining free-agent starters, Pedro Astacio, to Cincinnati.

I heard about that earlier today, then went looking for info and found the San Diego Union-Tribune story from Saturday that mentions the Reds' possible interest. If you check out that story and the earlier mention of Astacio's dealings with the Rockies, you can see that jockeying over money probably is the main holdup for the Reds at the moment. The Reds likely have a bit more leverage now just because it's so late in the game, but I doubt they would completely cave just for the sake of getting a deal done.

If there is common ground to be had, though, it's conceivable that Astacio could be a Red by sometime this week. The Reds have made it known they're looking for more pitchers, and if they could get Astacio for a reasonable price (while holding onto all of their outfielders), they at least would get some more competition in camp and a viable fallback if Paul Wilson isn't ready to start the season.

fourrunhomer
02-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Seems to me if Hatteberg ends up at 1st, we end up with what we had in Caey but with a lower average. Not much power, gap hitter. Average defense at best. He seems like a good backup, but I think we get the short end of the stick if he is the starter at first. Even if we do trade one of the other guys for pitching, we could have done the same thing and kept Casey.
The only thing that might make it seem better would be if his power numbers go up at GABP compared to Oakland.

RedEye
02-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Except for we gained about 8 million to use on another player without Casey. Loved the guy, but glad to be out from under that contract. The question comes down to whether .5 batting average points are worth 7 million some dollars (and losing the chance to see Wily Mo play every day). I think the answer is clear.

dougdirt
02-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Not quite 8 million redeye. I believe the Reds paid 2 million of that, and they are also taking on Williams salary for this year.

RedEye
02-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Okay, you're right. I guess the combo of seeing Wily Mo play plus 4 million in loose change still merits trading Casey for me.

fourrunhomer
02-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Okay, you're right. I guess the combo of seeing Wily Mo play plus 4 million in loose change still merits trading Casey for me.

If we got something for that loose change I would agree, but so far I haven't seen it. I do believe things are going to look up soon though. The main thing I was pointing out was that if Dunn is put back in the outfield or traded and Hatteberg starts at first, I believe we went backwards. Unless that loose change is used to take on extra payroll from trading for a pitcher.

RedEye
02-21-2006, 12:54 PM
I'm just not sure we'll see the 4 mill used right away because there aren't that many tempting free agent pitchers out there. I could see them using part of it on Pedro Astacio of course... and I'm not sure how I feel about that at all. I'd almost rather see them take their lumps this year and save all available money for a Blue Jays-esque revamping in the next offseason.

KearnsyEars
02-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Dunner isn't going anywhere. Kearns or Pena might, but Dunn is here for the next 3 years.

alex trevino
02-22-2006, 12:07 AM
I am really not sure what you would get for Kearns at this point...One thing you won't get is a picther who is better than what we already have in the rotation...It would take a big year from Kearns to net a #2 starter..he hasn't had that year yet, perhaps he never will.

RedEye
02-22-2006, 12:39 AM
Totally agreed, Trevino. Kearns and Pena are inexpensive and worth keeping until we see what they do. Neither of them is going to net anything much better than what we got for Randa last year. It's really too bad we didn't jump on that White Sox deal for Griffey last year cuz then we'd have had a hot CF prospect (Chris R. Young) plus cash going into free agency (A.J. Burnett? Kevin Millwood?) But anyway, woulda', coulda' and shoulda' aren't going to get us anything now. Let's just hope the Reds are smacking the crap out of the ball come the trade deadline so that we can land some pitching.