PDA

View Full Version : It's a great time to be a Buckeye fan!

max venable
02-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Ohio State's combined basketball record of 41-6 trails only Duke's 47-2 and Connecticut's 46-5. Not bad for a football school. ;)

The football team finished the season ranked fourth nationally after a thumping Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl and lost only to champion Texas and third-ranked Penn State. The Bucks were playing as well as anyone at the end of the season and will be among the favorites to win the national title next season.

The Bucks are thisclose to another 20-win season and an NCAA Tournament berth, and argueably the top b-ball recruiting class in the nation (and the best in OSU history) are on their way in.

Greg Oden has OSU fans thinking Carmelo Anthony, who as a freshman led Syracuse to the national title. :thumbup:

My guess is that OSU would not trade the trio of Tressel, Matta and Foster for any other coaching trio in the country. Would you?

There's no other school in the nation with three top coaches like that.

Take Foster out of the mix and only Texas' Mack Brown and Rick Barnes, Oklahoma's Bob Stoops and Kelvin Sampson and Florida's Urban Meyer and Billy Donovan are in the same class with Tressel and Matta.

Yep, it's good to be a Buckeye...as long as Matta stays. :cool:

max venable
02-26-2006, 05:11 PM
If the Men's basketball team wins the Big Ten title (and it looks like they will), it will be the first time any Big TEn school has won titles in Men's and Women's Basketball, and Football in the same school year. Impressive.

go Bucks!

captainmorgan07
02-26-2006, 05:21 PM
ur right it is a great time to be a buckeye fan some experts see them making the final 4

WVRed
02-26-2006, 08:46 PM
ur right it is a great time to be a buckeye fan some experts see them making the final 4

Then the Thad Five coming in next year.

max venable
02-27-2006, 11:31 PM
Up to #8 in the coaches poll. Go Bucks!

bucksfan
02-28-2006, 11:22 PM
If the Men's basketball team wins the Big Ten title (and it looks like they will)...
go Bucks!

I am as big a fan as anyone of Buckeye hoops, but you make me uneasy with this! ;) With how everyone is beating everyone in the B10 this year, it seems every top team has at least one loss to a lower-tier opponent except us (unless you wanna count the Hoosiers in that category now - haha). We struggled with the Wildcats in C-bus and am sure they will be tough in Welsh-Ryan or wherever they play. I feel better about taking care of Purdue if we can get past tomorrow!

max venable
02-28-2006, 11:45 PM
I am as big a fan as anyone of Buckeye hoops, but you make me uneasy with this! ;) With how everyone is beating everyone in the B10 this year, it seems every top team has at least one loss to a lower-tier opponent except us (unless you wanna count the Hoosiers in that category now - haha). We struggled with the Wildcats in C-bus and am sure they will be tough in Welsh-Ryan or wherever they play. I feel better about taking care of Purdue if we can get past tomorrow!
TOTALLY agree with you on that one. It's a bit scary. I've read some player interviews...and the good news is that they seem focused. It looks like they recognize the fact that this will not be an easy game. Saw Dials on TV talking about it. He was saying all the right things. I trust that Thad will have them ready.

Here's a story from the Toledo Blade: http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060228/SPORTS16/60228006/-1/SPORTS

COLUMBUS — The last time the Ohio State Buckeyes won an outright Big Ten basketball championship, a 6-6 standout from Toledo’s Macomber High School led the way.

Jim Jackson has been a pro for more than a dozen years now, and the Buckeyes are stalking another championship they can call their own. As the Big Ten enters its final week of the season, four teams are still in the race for the title — Ohio State, Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa — but the Buckeyes have the advantage of controlling their own destiny.

Senior Terence Dials, who yesterday was named the Big Ten player of the week after his back-to-back double-doubles helped the Buckeyes position themselves for the championship, reined in the title talk, at least until tomorrow night’s game at Northwestern is behind him. A win over the Wildcats assures No. 9 Ohio State — ranked in the Top 10 for the first time since the 1999-2000 season — of no worse than a tie for the Big Ten crown.

“Our focus right now is Northwestern,”Dials said. “They have had some upsets there. We can’t just think the Big Ten championship is ours. We have to try and get a tough road win. Every road game is tough to get. We just have to go out against Northwestern and try and get something done.”
Dials led the Buckeyes to wins over Michigan State and Michigan last week.

The 6-9 product of Boardman High School had 19 points with 10 rebounds in a critical win on the road against the Spartans, then made it five straight double-doubles with 22 points and 11 rebounds against Michigan.

Ohio State second-year coach Thad Matta said Dials senses the sand slipping through the hourglass as his career nears its end, and has a renewed sense of urgency about his play. Dials ranks sixth all-time in rebounds at Ohio State (823) and 16th in scoring (1,454).

“Terence is really playing great basketball right now,” Matta said. “I think he’s in the best shape of his life and he is finishing much better than he was earlier this season. He continues to score and rebound well, and his defense is much improved.”

Matta Matta did not want to comment on the championship picture and how the Buckeyes will dictate just how it is drawn, instead zeroing in on that pesky Northwestern team that had the Buckeyes down 12 at Value City Arena just 10 days ago. Ohio State eventually won 61-52, and reminded his players of the difficult time they had when he spoke to them about tomorrow night’s game in the moments following the win over Michigan.

“We have to get ready to play Northwestern,” Matta said. “That’s really all I said after the game. We’re fortunate it comes back quickly after just playing them [Feb. 18]. We just have to focus on trying to beat Northwestern.”

Previous Big Ten co-leader Iowa lost at Illinois on Saturday, and the door opened for the Buckeyes. If Ohio State can sweep past Northwestern and then beat last-place Purdue in the final home game for Dials and fellow seniors Matt Sylvester, J.J. Sullinger and Je’Kel Foster, the title will reside in Columbus.

Sullinger said taking the lead in the conference in the final week of his senior season has storybook value.

“This meant a lot,” he said. “It’s huge for us. Being a senior, I couldn’t ask for any better way to go out.”

The Buckeyes have won 17 Big Ten regular-season championships, 10 of them outright titles and the other seven shared. Ohio State got a piece of the conference title in 2000 and again in 2002 under coach Jim O’Brien, who is currently involved in a contentious multi-million dollar lawsuit with Ohio State.

With that messy affair simmering in the background, and the recent public speculation that Matta might be a candidate for the upcoming vacancy at Indiana, the Ohio State coach lauded his team for centering its vision on a Big Ten title.

“I don’t think anyone can ever imagine [what they’ve gone through],” Matta said. “Please don’t give me any credit for this. It’s those 11 guys in there. They’ve been as solid and focused and committed as we could ask. I don’t know if I’ve ever had a team more committed to just going out and doing what it needed to do.’’

max venable
03-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Great JJ Sullinger quote when asked about the negativity the Bucks receive from fans when they're on the road:

"People love to be hating," Sullinger said. "We use the phrase, ‘They hate us because they ain’t us.’ "

redsfan30
03-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Greg Oden has OSU fans thinking Carmelo Anthony, who as a freshman led Syracuse to the national title. :thumbup:
I see the comparison because Carmelo brought a championship his freshman year. But head to head, Greg Oden's upside dwarfs Carmelo's.

Oden is a man-child.

traderumor
03-01-2006, 11:33 PM
That was certainly a heart stopper, but man what a great job to pull that one out in Evanston.

I find it interesting that the "that's all right, that's ok, you will work for us one day" boys couldn't get their wits about themselves to call one of their four timeouts with 10 seconds left after Lewis made the layup. :p:

Way to go Bucks!!!:beerme:

max venable
03-02-2006, 01:32 AM
Big Ten Champs! :beerme:

smith288
03-02-2006, 02:36 PM
wHoOt!

Sean_CaseyRules
03-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Who is going to Senior Night on sunday?
I will be there and hopefully 2 of my buds will go with me!

max venable
03-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Congrats to the Lady Bucks. Big Ten regular season champs and Big Ten tournament champs!

Here's to the Men's team duplicating the feat! :beerme:

max venable
03-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Dials, Matta are recognized as Big Ten’s best

Buckeyes win player, coach of year honors
Wednesday, March 08, 2006
Bob Baptist
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Terence Dials said last weekend that a season-long feeling of being disrespected by outsiders drove the Ohio State men’s basketball team to win the Big Ten championship.

The Buckeyes need a new motivational vehicle for postseason play.

Their first outright conference championship in 14 years earned Dials and coach Thad Matta the Big Ten’s top individual awards yesterday. Dials was voted player of the year by coaches and media and Matta was voted coach of the year by the media. The coaches do not give an award to one of their own.

"I’ve got to give a lot of credit to a lot of different people. The coaching staff probably ranks No. 1 and my teammates second," said Dials, a fifth-year senior who made the All-Big Ten first team for the first time in his career.

"Talentwise, there are probably guys that are better, but for what they meant to their team, obviously they didn’t win the championship and maybe they didn’t do as well as a team. That’s why it’s probably more of a team award than anything."

Dials, a 6-foot-9 center, had a streak of five double-doubles in points and rebounds as Ohio State won eight of its past nine Big Ten games to win the championship by one game over Illinois and Iowa. Dials finished ninth in the conference in scoring (15.3 points per game), fourth in rebounding (8.0) and third in fieldgoal percentage (.581).

"For Terence, you can look and say this is a great lesson in life," Matta said. "When you’re a real good guy, good things are going to happen. The teammate that he is, his teammates put him in a position to win that honor. All the hard work he’s done, it’s good to see it pay off for him."

Matta, 38 and in his second season at Ohio State, led the Buckeyes to a 12-4 record in conference play. They are 23-4 overall, ranked No. 7 and the No. 1 seed in the Big Ten tournament this week in Indianapolis.

It is the third such award for Matta in six seasons as a head coach. He also was honored after winning regular-season and conference tournament championships at Butler in 2001 and Xavier in 2002.

"He knows how to motivate kids and get you to play one game at a time and not look past anybody," Dials said. "He took (the season opener against) Chicago State just as seriously as he took Michigan State in preparing to win. That’s one of his mottoes: ‘Never get tired of preparing to win.’ When you see a coach watching tons of film on Chicago State and taking them as serious as (any other team), you’ve got to respect that and go out there and work hard for him every day."

Guard Je’Kel Foster, the Big Ten leader in steals and one of its top three-point shooters, was voted second-team all-conference by coaches and to the third team by the media. Coaches also voted him to one of five positions on the all-defensive team.

"I’m glad my defense is getting recognized," Foster said.

If anyone can still play the respect card, it is point guard Jamar Butler. He was voted to the third team by the media and honorable mention by the coaches despite having the secondbest assist-to-turnover ratio in the Big Ten, one of the best three-point shooting percentages and winning almost every matchup he had against other point guards in the conference. Coaches also did not vote him to the all-defensive team.

"I’m happy for Je’Kel because (defense was) one of our main focuses going into this season," Matta said. "I was hoping a guy like Jamar would have a crack at that (team) as well, but as I told him, he’s still got to prove himself."

Butler said he was "a little surprised" he did not make the all-defensive team. "But I’m only a sophomore and I have two more years to play in this league. Hopefully, I can get it my junior and senior year."

Ron Lewis would have been the favorite for the newly created sixth man award but started one game too many (six) to qualify, Matta said.

A former teammate of Lewis’ at Brookhaven High School, Jamelle Cornley of Penn State, was voted freshman of the year.
http://www.dispatch.com/bball/bball.php?story=dispatch/2006/03/08/20060308-F1-02.html
http://www.dispatch.com/2006/03/08/20060308-Pc-F1-0900.jpg

traderumor
03-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Penn State it is tomorrow as they whalloped the Mildcats 60-42. Penn State is easily the most improved team over the course of the year and will certainly have a shot at pulling the upset like they did a few years back.

But, they will have to play their best game of the year to beat the Bucks.

max venable
03-09-2006, 06:42 PM
The Detroit Free Press picked PSU to beat OSU tomorrow. :rolleyes:

traderumor
03-10-2006, 02:51 PM
The Detroit Free Press picked PSU to beat OSU tomorrow. :rolleyes:
I don't think that was a stretch prediction at all, and the game has proven them right. Looks like we're gonna pull it out today in the end, now we can bow out gracefully tomorrow and start thinking about the real tournament.

max venable
03-10-2006, 03:23 PM
I don't think that was a stretch prediction at all, and the game has proven them right. Looks like we're gonna pull it out today in the end, now we can bow out gracefully tomorrow and start thinking about the real tournament.
I hear ya. They're going to be a 2-seed no matter what. Might as well get some work in tomorrow and then focus on the big dance.

It's been a very fun season. :thumbup:

traderumor
03-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Hopefully finally hitting some threes late means the shooting slump is over, though.

max venable
03-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Hopefully finally hitting some threes late means the shooting slump is over, though.
They just need to get their legs back under them. The boys can shoot. They'll be ready for next weekend.

traderumor
03-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Indiana
Name FG 3Pt FT PF Pts
Allen 0-1 0-1 0-1 0 0
Calloway 1-2 0-1 0-2 1 2
Killingsworth 3-7 0-0 0-0 1 6
Kline 0-0 0-0 0-0 1 0
Monroe 0-1 0-1 0-0 0 0
Ratliff 0-0 0-0 0-0 2 0
Strickland 1-3 0-1 0-0 0 2
Vaden 0-4 0-3 0-0 1 0
Wilmont 2-4 1-2 0-0 1 5
Totals 7-22 1-9 0-3 7 15
Percentages: .318 .111 .000
Wisconsin
Name FG 3Pt FT PF Pts
Bronson 0-1 0-1 0-0 0 0
Butch 2-5 0-1 0-0 0 4
Chappell 0-1 0-0 0-0 1 0
Flowers 0-7 0-2 1-2 0 1
Gullikson 4-6 0-0 2-2 2 10
Nixon 0-5 0-4 0-0 0 0
Taylor 0-3 0-0 0-0 2 0
Tucker 2-4 0-1 0-0 2 4
Totals 8-32 0-9 3-4 7 19
Percentages: .250 .000 .750

1st half stats for IU vs. UW, pretty much guarantees that whoever wins this game won't be able to miss tomorrow against the Bucks.

Playadlc
03-10-2006, 04:26 PM
1st half stats for IU vs. UW, pretty much guarantees that whoever wins this game won't be able to miss tomorrow against the Bucks.

Neither team had an assist the entire half. How many times has that happened in a college basketball game?

I have watched Jr. high girls and been more entertained. And this is coming from a die hard Hoosier fan.

traderumor
03-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Neither team had an assist the entire half. How many times has that happened in a college basketball game?

I have watched Jr. high girls and been more entertained. And this is coming from a die hard Hoosier fan.And here I was trying to find the game on the radio. Inspiring performance thus far.

traderumor
03-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Gotta like that 1 for 18 from three land between the two teams :help:

Playadlc
03-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Now Indiana has caught fire in the 2nd half.

7 assists already by IU 8 minutes into the 2nd half, and somehow Indiana is shooting 50% from the floor.

traderumor
03-10-2006, 04:55 PM
I see that, they are very, very streaky as the Bucks learned the hard way in Bloomington this year.

Playadlc
03-10-2006, 05:03 PM
I see that, they are very, very streaky as the Bucks learned the hard way in Bloomington this year.

18% 1st half shooting and 83% 2nd half shooting is probably about as streaky as one team can be.

Alando Tucker is an absolute beast.

Playadlc
03-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Indiana holds on and wins their 5th in a row.

Should be a good game tommorow between IU and OSU.

max venable
03-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Indiana holds on and wins their 5th in a row.

Should be a good game tommorow between IU and OSU.
Honestly, as an OSU fan I pretty much expect IU to win. They have more to play for (OSU has already won the Big Ten, IU needs to keep winning to solidify their tourney standing, the Mike Davis thing...they'll play hard for the outgoing coach).

And I'm okay with that. Let's get some work on and get ready for Thursday (or Friday).

Playadlc
03-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Honestly, as an OSU fan I pretty much expect IU to win. They have more to play for (OSU has already won the Big Ten, IU needs to keep winning to solidify their tourney standing, the Mike Davis thing...they'll play hard for the outgoing coach).

And I'm okay with that. Let's get some work on and get ready for Thursday (or Friday).

I wouldn't say that. OSU still wants to win this tournament, and they are in the hunt for a #1 seed.

OSU is clearly better than Indiana, but hopefully for IU fans, the home crowd will give the Hoosiers a lift.

max venable
03-10-2006, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't say that. OSU still wants to win this tournament, and they are in the hunt for a #1 seed.

OSU is clearly better than Indiana, but hopefully for IU fans, the home crowd will give the Hoosiers a lift.
I don't think anything changes in the seedings no matter what the Bucks do from here on out. They're a #2--or a #1 already. The committee is basically done--that's my point. Stuff that happens at this point really only matters to bubble teams.

max venable
04-28-2006, 06:55 PM
From today's Dayton Daily News:

Michigan fan wants his team to be like Buckeyes
By Doug Harris
Staff Writer

I went to see my sports doc for a creaky knee, and he ended up turning to me for help.

A Michigan grad and passionate Wolverine football fan, he needed to vent about his team's 7-5 record last season — the program's worst mark in 21 years — and interrupted our usual banter to unload.

"Something's missing," he said. "They just don't play with the same energy. They used to butt helmets after big plays. They don't do that anymore.

"And the worst part," he added, pointing to a gaggle of nurses behind the receptionist's desk, all of them unabashed Ohio State rooters, "is having to listen to them."

The Buckeyes have racked up three BCS bowl wins in four years — a feat matched only by Southern Cal — and have paddled Michigan in four of the last five seasons.

And the OSU faithful are basking in the good times.

The spring game last Saturday drew a paid crowd of 63,649, but an OSU spokesman said this week that the actual number probably exceeded 70,000 because the ticket-takers didn't count children under age 6, who were admitted free.

Nebraska (57,415), Florida (45,200), Texas (41,200) and Alabama (40,000) also drew mammoth spring-game crowds, but the Buckeyes surpassed them all — even though fans knew they'd get to watch the star players only for a quarter or two.

Maybe they came out just to see the helmet-butting.
LINK (http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/osu/daily/0428audible.html)

Caseyfan21
04-29-2006, 11:29 AM
I was at the game last week and when they said that the attendance was only 63,000 I was shocked. The entire stadium minus the south endzone was full, I was figuring there was about 70,000 for sure. In fact, I heard the radio and tv people saying on the broadcasts in the stadium that the crowd was at least 70,000. It was sure great to see that many people come out and the crowd for the spring game grows every year. I'd say in a few years that the spring game could be a sell out if the growth continues at this pace.

max venable
05-20-2006, 12:32 PM
It's still a great time to be a Buckeye fan:

Ivan Maisel's preseason top 25 is out. The top five look like this:

1. THE Ohio State Buckeyes

2. Oklahoma

3. West Virginia

4. Texas

5. Florida State

Michigan? You ask? #16

Go Bucks!

max venable
05-29-2006, 08:26 PM
LINK (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/highschool/05/23/future.stars/)
From SI.com:

The future stars
A pair of Buckeyes who are worthy of the hype

Greg Oden
Here's a piece of advice: Save this photo of Greg Oden. And not just because the Lawrence North (Indianapolis) senior is going to be the best center in the NBA someday, but because this is a view of him most people aren't likely to get. After all, there aren't many chances to look down on a 7-footer who towers over the competition -- both literally and metaphorically. Unless you've been living in a cave the past few years, chances are you know the deal with Oden by now: game-changing shot-swatter, glass-cleaning rebounder and rim-rattling dunker who'll be the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft whenever he decides to conclude his college career at Ohio State. And the scary part is, he still has room for improvement. Guess the future really is looking up for Oden.

Chris Wells
Big Ten football is all about power. Strong running games are the norm in the conference, and the soft need not apply. So it shouldn't be any surprise that Garfield (Akron, Ohio) running back Chris Wells signed with Ohio State, where he'll join Oden as a freshman stud next year. The 6-foot-2, 228-pound Wells, who is rated the nation's top running back in the class of 2006 by SchoolSports.com, packs a tremendous combo of power and speed. As a senior he ran for 2,134 yards and 27 touchdowns and was named MVP of the U.S. Army All-American Bowl. With Wells and stud tailback Antonio Pittman, Ohio State could have its own version of "Thunder and Lightning," a la USC's Reggie Bush and LenDale White. Bush and White accounted for a Heisman and two national titles in college -- and the future could hold the same for Wells and the Buckeyes.

max venable
11-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Time to revisit this tread...

How sweet is it that the Football Buckeyes:

just beat Michigan
are ranked #1 (and have been all season
will be playing for the National Championship in Jan.

AND...the Basketball Buckeyes:

have the Thad five clicking on the court
are ranked #3 in the polls.

Our poll avg. is #2. I love it!

Hoosier Red
11-21-2006, 03:50 PM
OH SHUT UP
:bang: :bang: :p:

BuckWoody
11-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Don't forget the women's basketball team. They are ranked #6 in the nation this week.

Highlifeman21
11-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Let's see where the Men's Hoops Buckeyes are next year without Oden once he goes pro.

Let's see how Tressel reloads this team with the departure of Troy Smith.

registerthis
11-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Let's see where the Men's Hoops Buckeyes are next year without Oden once he goes pro.

Hey, whatever.

I'll enjoy it as long as it lasts.

max venable
11-21-2006, 05:00 PM

???

Yeah...let's see...

What's wrong with us taking some time to enjoy the success? Good grief.

FWIW: The b-ball Bucks won the Big Ten title last year WITHOUT Oden. Matta seems like a pretty darn-good coach...I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

As for football...that Tressel guy's s a pretty good coach, too, in case you haven't noticed. Seems to me some people last year were saying, "Let's see how Tressel reloads this team with the departure of nine defensive starters."

I'm sorry, highlife, but your post smacks of jealousy. Let's see how (fill in the blank team) does next year...but hey, we're not talking about next year, are we?

Spring~Fields
11-21-2006, 05:15 PM
???

Yeah...let's see...

Nothing is wrong with enjoying your teams success and being happy, it would be completely abnormal not to be. Reds fans do it all the time, get happy when their team wins.

When it comes to Ohio State and Tressel there seems to be more sour grapes, jealousy and hate than you might see toward Griffey and Dunn. ;)

Highlifeman21
11-21-2006, 05:23 PM
???

Yeah...let's see...

FWIW: The b-ball Bucks won the Big Ten title last year WITHOUT Oden. Matta seems like a pretty darn-good coach...I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

As for football...that Tressel guy's s a pretty good coach, too, in case you haven't noticed. Seems to me some people last year were saying, "Let's see how Tressel reloads this team with the departure of nine defensive starters."

I'm sorry, highlife, but your post smacks of jealousy. Let's see how (fill in the blank team) does next year...but hey, we're not talking about next year, are we?

If I'm jealous of anything, it's that Xavier couldn't keep Matta, as I'm a huge X fan. I drank the OSU Kool Aid for 3 years while I was there, and it drove me to the point where I hate OSU Football. There's only 2 OSU teams I'd root for anymore, Men's Hoops and Men's Hockey. I want to see OSU succeed in Men's Hoops b/c I want to see Matta succeed. I also want to see Oden live up to some of his 1 and done hype.

Tressel's a good coach, but the conspiracy theorist in me knows he runs a dirty program. All major Div I Football and Basketball programs are dirty. Tressel's latest poster child, Troy Smith, even needed a 2nd chance. Jim O'Brien ran a horribly dirty program. He lost his job b/c of it. I'd like to see Matta reverse that, but it's just a matter of not getting caught by the NCAA. It's all about loopholes and creative recruiting.

Cedric
11-21-2006, 05:26 PM
If I'm jealous of anything, it's that Xavier couldn't keep Matta, as I'm a huge X fan. I drank the OSU Kool Aid for 3 years while I was there, and it drove me to the point where I hate OSU Football. There's only 2 OSU teams I'd root for anymore, Men's Hoops and Men's Hockey. I want to see OSU succeed in Men's Hoops b/c I want to see Matta succeed. I also want to see Oden live up to some of his 1 and done hype.

Tressel's a good coach, but the conspiracy theorist in me knows he runs a dirty program. All major Div I Football and Basketball programs are dirty. Tressel's latest poster child, Troy Smith, even needed a 2nd chance. Jim O'Brien ran a horribly dirty program. He lost his job b/c of it. I'd like to see Matta reverse that, but it's just a matter of not getting caught by the NCAA. It's all about loopholes and creative recruiting.

Yep, you sure "know" it.

Highlifeman21
11-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Yep, you sure "know" it.

Tell me with 100% certainty major Div I Football and Basketball programs are 100% clean of all NCAA infractions.

Clarett was dirty for OSU. Troy Smith was dirty for OSU. Gamble was dirty for OSU. Katzenmoyer was dirty for OSU. The list goes on.

max venable
11-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Tressel's a good coach, but the conspiracy theorist in me knows he runs a dirty program. All major Div I Football and Basketball programs are dirty.
Baloney.

Danny Serafini
11-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Let's be real here, every program has a certain amount of dirt. College sports aren't pure and clean. It's weak to throw cheap shots about the "dirty" Buckeye program when you can easily make the same accusations about any other school.

Highlifeman21
11-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Let's be real here, every program has a certain amount of dirt. College sports aren't pure and clean. It's weak to throw cheap shots about the "dirty" Buckeye program when you can easily make the same accusations about any other school.

I'm not just singling out OSU. I'm saying all major Div I Football and Basketball programs aren't squeaky clean. They all have their dirt. They all have their skeletons in their closets.

UC's Hoops program has had its problems. OSU's Hoops program has had its problems. OSU's Football program has had its problems. I'm sure even Thad Matta had some dirt when he was at XU. I'm sure UC's Football program has some dirt. Miami of Ohio probably has dirt. Bottomline, they all have dirt, they aren't clean programs and they have their own respective ways around the NCAA's ways.

BuckeyeRed27
11-21-2006, 06:40 PM
So if everybody is doing it is that a problem or just the way?

max venable
11-21-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm not just singling out OSU. I'm saying all major Div I Football and Basketball programs aren't squeaky clean. They all have their dirt. They all have their skeletons in their closets.

Dude, you specifically accused Jim Tressel of running a dirty program. I think that's bogus. You implied that he cheats. No way. Ask anyone that knows him and they'll tell you he's a man of integrity--squeaky clean.

You brought up the Clarett thing...basically you implied that Tressel cheated because Mo was on his team. You think Tressel was helping Mo make all those bad choices? Blaming JT for Mo's indescretions is moronic. Did Tressel aid Troy Smith in the whole $500 from a booster thing? No...he DISCIPLINED him and helped him turn around. I think Troy Smith is a huge feather in JT's cap for how he handled the situation and for the kind of person Troy has become.

Calling Tressel a cheater is lame. Get real.

Highlifeman21
11-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Dude, you specifically accused Jim Tressel of running a dirty program. I think that's bogus. You implied that he cheats. No way. Ask anyone that knows him and they'll tell you he's a man of integrity--squeaky clean.

You brought up the Clarett thing...basically you implied that Tressel cheated because Mo was on his team. You think Tressel was helping Mo make all those bad choices? Blaming JT for Mo's indescretions is moronic. Did Tressel aid Troy Smith in the whole $500 from a booster thing? No...he DISCIPLINED him and helped him turn around. I think Troy Smith is a huge feather in JT's cap for how he handled the situation and for the kind of person Troy has become.

Calling Tressel a cheater is lame. Get real.

To say that the head coach of the Buckeyes has no knowledge of booster activity with his starting QB is ignorant.

Since this was a Buckeye thread, I brought up Jim Tressel, since he's the head coach of the Buckeyes, as running a dirty program. You're going to tell me that OSU runs a 100% squeaky clean program? Come on, you know better than that.

I've never said what Tressel, or any other Div I football coach of a major program does is cheating and or wrong to me, but the NCAA wouldn't agree with my opinion.

I'm not blaming Tressel for Clarett's transgressions, but rather stating that I find it hard to believe Tressel can claim 100% ignorance of Clarett's actions while on Tressel's team and get a free pass on the situation.

Obviously OSU has some dirt they've been trying to hide from the NCAA or else their former AD Andy Geiger wouldn't have left his office.

Tressel's run a much better program than John Cooper ever did, but that doesn't make Tressel a saint.

I've made peace with the fact that some of my favorite college programs of whatever sport are probably dirty. Apparently you haven't, and maybe don't want to.

If college athletes in major revenue sports were allowed to be treated like the pre-professionals that they are, we wouldn't have this annual dance around NCAA rules and stipulations. Make the money they're already illegally getting legal. Make the fringe benefits they're not supposed to get but do legal.

We could pick any school, and I'd be saying the same thing. You're just upset I'm speaking the truth about your school of choice.

LoganBuck
11-22-2006, 12:23 AM
How were Gamble and Katzenmoyer dirty may I ask?

BuckeyeRed27
11-22-2006, 12:31 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

Jim Tressel is a coach not a babysitter. Sometimes young male athletes make poor decisions. When you make them as a star at Ohio State it ends up in the first 8 minutes of SportsCenter. I think Tressel has done a fantastic job dealing with adversity that has come up in his time as head coach.
And I'm pretty sure Geiger's retirement can be chalked up to being of retirment age. A lot of people in their 60s want to stop doing a 9-5 and the job he was in required a lot more than that.

Highlifeman21
11-22-2006, 12:38 AM

Gamble "worked" for a booster. He rarely showed up and was paid for making appearances by and for the booster. This was the season right before he went pro.

Katzenmoyer had the academic problem that Cooper couldn't keep quiet, and he had to go thru that largely publicized summer session.

dman
11-22-2006, 12:39 AM
I would tend to agree with Max, a lot of these anti-OSU posts wreak of jealousy.

Highlifeman21
11-22-2006, 12:44 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

Jim Tressel is a coach not a babysitter. Sometimes young male athletes make poor decisions. When you make them as a star at Ohio State it ends up in the first 8 minutes of SportsCenter. I think Tressel has done a fantastic job dealing with adversity that has come up in his time as head coach.
And I'm pretty sure Geiger's retirement can be chalked up to being of retirment age. A lot of people in their 60s want to stop doing a 9-5 and the job he was in required a lot more than that.

Geiger retired b/c of the Jim O'Brien incident. Chalk it up to him running away from that situation.

Highlifeman21
11-22-2006, 12:46 AM
I would tend to agree with Max, a lot of these anti-OSU posts wreak of jealousy.

I'm sure Michigan's program is just as dirty. There's no jealousy in that statement.

I just can't understand why some people find it so hard to believe that college athletic programs are dirty and don't comply 100% to the letter of the NCAA law.

Cedric
11-22-2006, 01:06 AM
I'm sure Michigan's program is just as dirty. There's no jealousy in that statement.

I just can't understand why some people find it so hard to believe that college athletic programs are dirty and don't comply 100% to the letter of the NCAA law.

Completely different from what you originally said.

And being "dirty" and having small problems with renegade boosters is somewhat a different definition. In my humble opinion.

When you say a coach runs a dirty program you are defining something else right?

Highlifeman21
11-22-2006, 01:14 AM

This was my original post....

All this time I've been banging the "Head Coaches know what goes on with their players in their programs" drum. By "dirty" I mean boosters paying players, programs knowingly breaking NCAA compliance laws, etc. That's why I've said all along that all your major Div I athletic programs, particularly their football and basketball teams aren't following the NCAA rules 100%. I'm not trying to single out any particular institution.

I just don't buy it that a head coach in any sport at any school doesn't know what goes on with his or her athletes.

LoganBuck
11-22-2006, 01:17 AM
Gamble "worked" for a booster. He rarely showed up and was paid for making appearances by and for the booster. This was the season right before he went pro.

Katzenmoyer had the academic problem that Cooper couldn't keep quiet, and he had to go thru that largely publicized summer session.

Katzenmoyer's grades should not have been a matter of public record. His right to privacy was violated by nosey reporters. Katzenmoyer stayed eligible why is this being brought up again?

The Gamble thing was much a do about nothing if I remember correctly. The initial furor was lumped in with Troy Smith's indescretions but it later turned out he actually worked and was in trouble because he signed some autographs, while on the job, which is a no no. No punishment was ever levied for anything related to Chris Gamble.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/2004-12-28-ohio-st-smith_x.htm?POE=SPOISVA

MWM
11-22-2006, 02:25 AM
I don't know what's worse, some of the ridiculous things I hear from OSU fans or the ridiculous things I hear from the OSU haters?

Spring~Fields
11-22-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't know what's worse, some of the ridiculous things I hear from OSU fans or the ridiculous things I hear from the OSU haters?

Especially when they are unsubstantiated or have been investigated by governing bodies and dispensed with. It comes down to the obvious possibilities, envy, jealousy, frustration, hate, a cry of cheat. If you can't beat them, then cry foul or turn to personality issues. But god forbid allowing the game to be played on the field and allowing the results to speak for themselves.

Red Leader
11-22-2006, 02:23 PM
It comes down to the obvious possibilities, envy, jealousy, frustration, hate, a cry of cheat. If you can't beat them, then cry foul or turn to personality issues. But god forbid allowing the game to be played on the field and allowing the results to speak for themselves.

It seems to me that most Ohio State fans on this site don't care that you have stated that Ohio State was the better team last Saturday and won the game outright with no disputes. They want you to say that Ohio State was flat out 100% better than Michigan, that Michigan had no chance what-so-ever, that without unforced turnovers the game would have been a blowout, that Michigan only deserves one chance at the Buckeyes, that there is no way they should be labeled the second ranked team in the nation, and that Michigan would stand no chance if (Hell freezes over, according to some) they played the Buckeyes in the National Championship game. That's a lot to ask of any fan of a team that lost by 3 points.

To add, I'm not talking about what Highlifeman wrote about running dirty programs, although I do agree somewhat with him that all Div I football and basketball teams walk a thin line on most NCAA rules. I'm specifically talking about the game that was played last Saturday and all of the talk since.

Chip R
11-22-2006, 02:31 PM

I'd say it's about the same.

Spring~Fields
11-22-2006, 03:06 PM
It seems to me that most Ohio State fans on this site don't care that you have stated that Ohio State was the better team last Saturday and won the game outright with no disputes.

You could be right. I think that the perception might be that the game last Saturday was a game and it had an end result and some might feel that it is being devalued for whatever reason valid or not.

They want you to say that Ohio State was flat out 100% better than Michigan,

Well they are wrong, Ohio State was not that much better than Michigan, Michigan has a very fine team this year. We saw the game, we can certainly look up the stats and the score was there for all to see.

Ohio State was not that much better than Michigan and we all know that. Michigan deserves a lot of respect, but, will those outside of the Big Ten give that respect to either Ohio State or Michigan considering the rest of the Big Ten competition this year?

But the game last Saturday has to count, be valued, or none of the other games have value or count either.

GAC
11-24-2006, 08:22 AM
It seems to me that most Ohio State fans on this site don't care that you have stated that Ohio State was the better team last Saturday and won the game outright with no disputes. They want you to say that Ohio State was flat out 100% better than Michigan, that Michigan had no chance what-so-ever, that without unforced turnovers the game would have been a blowout, that Michigan only deserves one chance at the Buckeyes, that there is no way they should be labeled the second ranked team in the nation, and that Michigan would stand no chance if (Hell freezes over, according to some) they played the Buckeyes in the National Championship game.

Wait a minute RL. Alot of the OSU fans on here have stated just the opposite of what you've stated above.

A majority felt that that game was the NC game, and that if it was close Michigan should stay #2.

Many have said they didn't want a rematch, and it was due to the "fear" that Michigan, because they are a darn good football team, would give them the best fight over the rest of the lot.

And several others, including myself, have stated that Michigan won't get a second chance, not because they don't deserve it, but that the odds are against them simply because of the BCS system, the fact Michigan's season is over, and the teams on their butt have very important games to play against each other that will, according to the system, propel/edge one of them past Michigan in the standings.

My statements of where they might drop is not where I felt they deserved to be, but where I thought the BCS might drop them.

It wasn't said to be a slight against the Michigan program/team.

That was a helluva game last Saturday, and I thought it would be close. In fact, there is always that fear in the back of my mind going in, because it is OSU-Michigan, that Michigan could win this game.

But I don't think making personal observations and/or predictions about the outcome of the game is being classless or showing a lack of respect for the opponent.

Going into the half, and when we were up 14 pts, I felt that if OSU stuck with the same offensive spread game plan, it would be at least a 10 pt win for the Bucks.

They changed up that plan in the 2nd half, and whether you want to acknowledge it or not, 2 of those 3 turnovers were self-inflicted, and my hat was off to Michigan for capitalizing on them. That is what GOOD TEAMS do.

But I do feel that it wouldn't have been as close (not a blowout though) if not for those turnovers.

That is not being disrespectful or classless towards Michigan. I understand it's all a moot point; but it was just a game observation.

Every Saturday, during the college football season, I bet we all are watching various games and making the very same observations afterwards....

If so-and-so hadn't done this, or this situation and/or call hadn't occurred, then they won't have lost or the game wouldn't have been as close.

Why is the OSU-Michigan somehow different? It's what we as fans do.

And maybe we'll be saying the same things after this Saturday (USC-ND) or next Saturday (Arkansas-Florida).

max venable
11-24-2006, 10:41 AM
What occurs to me in all this is that (and I love this) U-M fans are almost proud...giddy even, that they played OSU to within three points. What seems to be lost on them is the fact that they lost (again!) to OSU. It's like, "Oh well, we're just happy to get close in this game." I think that's great. I love the fact that after 13 years of Cooper's shortcomings against U-M, the rivalry, under Tressel, has done a 180. U-M fans are bewildered and befuddled...to the point where this season, they've almost forgotten that they lost AGAIN!

Nice job U-M...you guys played a good game. You came within four points of beating the only team that's been ranked #1 for the whole season. But don't forget...YOU LOST AGAIN! :beerme:

OSU did what they had to do to assure themselves a spot in the NC game. U-M didn't. Maybe they'll get lucky and get a rematch. If it happens, it happens...and I have all the confidence in the world about JT's ability to get his team ready. He's 3-0 in the Fiesta Bowl. He's 5-1 against U-M. Really, a rematch should be no problem for the Bucks.

U-M fans, take this as a compliment: It would be an honor to beat you twice in one season.

westofyou
11-24-2006, 11:16 AM
U-M fans are bewildered and befuddled...to the point where this season, they've almost forgotten that they lost AGAIN!

If you think UM fans are being fairly represented here I'd say then that your consistent gloating is the the fuel to that fire.

However I'd say that this thread shows more about the OSU fan then the UM fan, since it unfairly represents any cross section of UM fans, it just trots out the ones whose head bob up in a sea of scarlet and gray

bucksfan
11-24-2006, 06:14 PM
As a Buckeye fan (a big Buckeye fan) who is (gasp) friends with a Wolverine fan, I'll relate this. We met by chance at a local establishmnet Wednesday, and both agreed it was a very good game. I said I still think they are clearly #2, though of course it can be argued since they have not played some of the other potential #2's. I told him I would welcome a rematch but would be nervous about it. We won 42-39 on our home field - that was 42-39, NOT 42-3 or 42-9. We won by 3 points. It was a good game and it was close. Some things could have happened that would have increased that margin, but they did not. Just the same some things could have happened to reduce that margin further, but they did not. I honestly think the odds are, given the setting in Columbus, the margin could have been larger. But the game was what it was. My buddy agrees we are clearly #1 and understands how a 2nd meeting would potentially distasteful to Buckeye fans. Make your statements and voice your opinions about your teams but don't paint all fans with the same stroke.

Caveat Emperor
11-24-2006, 06:41 PM

I look on both groups of fans (in general) the same way I do Yankees fans and Red Sox fans -- spoiled children who get so wrapped up in their own idiocy that they forget just how good they have it.

Both teams got a chance to play for the national championship. They played in a game watched by millions around the nation, decided by 3 points, in which title aspirations were on the line for both sides.

I'd just encourage both sides -- OSU fans and UM fans -- to step back and realize how cool it is that you, your fans, your schools, and your players get to experience something like that...because it is something neither school I attended, despite the fact that they are both allegedly 1-A programs (Tulane and Toledo), will ever get the chance to experience.

Don't get wraped up in the fighting. Enjoy the experience.

pedro
11-24-2006, 08:17 PM
What occurs to me in all this is that (and I love this) U-M fans are almost proud...giddy even, that they played OSU to within three points. What seems to be lost on them is the fact that they lost (again!) to OSU. It's like, "Oh well, we're just happy to get close in this game." I think that's great. I love the fact that after 13 years of Cooper's shortcomings against U-M, the rivalry, under Tressel, has done a 180. U-M fans are bewildered and befuddled...to the point where this season, they've almost forgotten that they lost AGAIN!

Nice job U-M...you guys played a good game. You came within four points of beating the only team that's been ranked #1 for the whole season. But don't forget...YOU LOST AGAIN! :beerme:

OSU did what they had to do to assure themselves a spot in the NC game. U-M didn't. Maybe they'll get lucky and get a rematch. If it happens, it happens...and I have all the confidence in the world about JT's ability to get his team ready. He's 3-0 in the Fiesta Bowl. He's 5-1 against U-M. Really, a rematch should be no problem for the Bucks.

U-M fans, take this as a compliment: It would be an honor to beat you twice in one season.

and you've forgotten that you're just a fan and didn't actually play in the game.

Oh, and isn't pridefullness a sin? ;)

Yachtzee
11-25-2006, 01:48 AM
I look on both groups of fans (in general) the same way I do Yankees fans and Red Sox fans -- spoiled children who get so wrapped up in their own idiocy that they forget just how good they have it.

Both teams got a chance to play for the national championship. They played in a game watched by millions around the nation, decided by 3 points, in which title aspirations were on the line for both sides.

I'd just encourage both sides -- OSU fans and UM fans -- to step back and realize how cool it is that you, your fans, your schools, and your players get to experience something like that...because it is something neither school I attended, despite the fact that they are both allegedly 1-A programs (Tulane and Toledo), will ever get the chance to experience.

Don't get wraped up in the fighting. Enjoy the experience.

I agree with your sentiment and that which GAC said before you.

I'm a Buckeye fan (even though I've never crossed High St. to set foot on campus). I became a fan as a kid in the days of Art Schlichter and Keith Byars and remained a fan through high school, college, and the years after (Hey, when you root for the Bengals, Cuyahoga Falls Black Tigers, Kent State Golden Flashes, BGSU Falcons, and Akron Zips, none of which have had great success in football, you like to find one winning program to follow). As much as I dislike Michigan, I respect them. I think that this year the two top teams in the country play in the same conference. So if there is a rematch, I wouldn't be upset at all. I think it will be just as tough and hard fought as the first matchup.

That being said, if there is a rematch, but this time Ohio State is coached by a 12 inch high Jim Tressel, I say that the Buckeyes win with mini-Tressel, 41-39. ;)

GAC
11-25-2006, 07:35 AM
All this thread has done is confirm the....

LOYALTY of the fan to their respective team
The BIAS that exist by those fans because of that loyalty, which may skewer there logic at times
And their HATRED for the opposition.

Yeah, that's right..... HATRED. ;)

Now none of us, due to the fact that we know each other, have a common bond in the Reds which leads us to "temper" that emotion, are really going to come out and express that for the most part.

Not hatred for the fan or individual on here, but hatred for the organization (team) they follow and pledge their allegiance.... the dreaded enemy or opposition.

That team we'd love to see ground into dirt on the playing field.

So lets admit it! I'm not afraid to.

I can respect an organization for what they have been able to accomplish/build, and yet, still hate their guts due to the competitive nature of the sport.

Let me illustrate ;)

I'm a Reds fan

I respect the Dodgers (LaSorda) because of who they were. But I hated their guts BECAUSE they were the opposition that always stood in our way and gave us a competitive fight.

I'm a Browns fan. I have always respected the Steelers and Rooney family for their commitment and accomplishments. But I want the Browns to HURT the Steelers BAD on any given Sunday. And I'm talking about "carrying them of the field" bad.

I'm an OSU fan. I have always respected the Michigan organization, and especially Bo. By now you all get my point.

And if there is a rematch in the NC game, I hope we kick the hell out of you!

Nothing personal. That's just the way I feel being the Loyal, Biased, and Competitive fan that I am.

And don't tell me you all don't feel the same way, yet are simply tempering it on here. Or you can call it respect. But you're really not expressing how you really feel as that competitive, biased, and loyal fan.

So let it out!

It has nothing to do personally with RL, Puffy, Highway, woy, pedro, or any other opposing team fan that has posted on here.

I love all you **** like brothers, but we're talking college football allegiances here. And if we ever got together I'd buy you a few rounds. I already have with Puffy. I think he owes me! :lol:

There! I feel so much better having got that off my chest. It was really hurting me holding that in. :lol:

Spring~Fields
11-25-2006, 09:57 AM
All this thread has done is confirm the....

The BIAS

Let me illustrate ;)

I'm a Reds fan

Confirm the bias by using a Reds fan for illustration. :devil:

A Reds fan? wow, have you ever read some of their game threads?
I mean talk about hostile and volatile, they act like their team has never won a game or swing emotionally to the opposite extreme as if their team will never win again. They even pound on their fellow fans with nasty sarcasms.
This thread is gentlemanly, suave and debonair comparatively.

Perhaps USC will give cause for everyone to rest on this football season tonight, maybe not, either way it is just a game.

GAC
11-25-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm rooting for Notre Dame tonight.

I really, really, really, really don't like west coast teams.

And besides.... I really would like to see a OSU-Michigan rematch in the NC game.

Because, as I said before..... I really do want another OPPORTUNITY to MAYBE, this time, kick the hell out of them.

Nothing personal. :lol:

And if we get our butts kicked?.... la-Cie la vie

So OSU fans..... slap in your copy of Rudi before tonights game in preparation, and hope the Luck Of The Irish pays dividends tonight!

MWM
11-25-2006, 12:16 PM
No way. I'm rooting for USC. Not that I think Ohio State would be able to easily handle USC (they wouldn't), but I want no part of Michigan in the championship game.

traderumor
11-25-2006, 12:18 PM

UC's Hoops program has had its problems. OSU's Hoops program has had its problems. OSU's Football program has had its problems. I'm sure even Thad Matta had some dirt when he was at XU. I'm sure UC's Football program has some dirt. Miami of Ohio probably has dirt. Bottomline, they all have dirt, they aren't clean programs and they have their own respective ways around the NCAA's ways.Ok, let's move on to our next caller. Hello, you've called 1360, theeeeeeeeeee Sports Animal. What's on your mind?

max venable
11-25-2006, 12:21 PM
and you've forgotten that you're just a fan and didn't actually play in the game. Oh, on the contrary, my friend...you should have seen me. I worked my tail off in my friend's living room to make sure the Buckeyes won that game.

Oh, and isn't pridefullness a sin? ;) Yeah, I guess. But then again...how could I be prideful? I didn't actually play in the game. So what's that mean? I'm proud that a picked a good team to follow? Yeah! I'm the man! Truth is...fans have absolutely nothing to be proud of. It's like because I'm from Ohio...and grew up rooting for the Bucks means I'm better than folks from Michigan? It really is silly, isn't it.

But it's fun! :thumbup:

GAC
11-25-2006, 01:38 PM
No way. I'm rooting for USC. Not that I think Ohio State would be able to easily handle USC (they wouldn't), but I want no part of Michigan in the championship game.

Ahh c'mon Mike. Lets finish this thing once and for all. Or else we're always gonna hear what could've/should've been, or that the real #2 team didn't play in the NC game. :lol:

Spring~Fields
11-25-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm rooting for Notre Dame tonight.

I am rooting for USC because if USC doesn't get to the BCS Trophy game, well, then everyone will be saying that Ohio State did not beat anyone if they end up with Florida, Notre Dame or Michigan.

If Ohio State can't beat USC then they don't deserve number 1.

GAC
11-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Well...Arkansas saw their dim hope go down the tubes Friday. I really don't think Florida has much of a chance, and they had better be prepared for Arkansas next week.

So.... if ND beats USC tonight, Arkansas beats Florida next week, who goes against OSU?

It has to be Michigan, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them (BCS) recast a last year's Fiesta Bowl rematch :evil:

paintmered
11-25-2006, 07:35 PM

My thoughts exactly, MWM. I put another OSU/UM game at no better than 50/50 odds for the Buckeyes.

BuckeyeRed27
11-26-2006, 04:09 AM
With Kansas beating Florida in hoops tonight the Buckeyes should be #1 in both football and basketball. Big game with UNC at Chapel Hill on Wednesday to validate that ranking.

GAC
11-26-2006, 05:26 AM
My thoughts exactly, MWM. I put another OSU/UM game at no better than 50/50 odds for the Buckeyes.

But isn't that what you want in a national championship game? Each team has as much chance as the other.

It woud be a heck of a game!

BuckWoody
11-26-2006, 12:10 PM
With Kansas beating Florida in hoops tonight the Buckeyes should be #1 in both football and basketball. Big game with UNC at Chapel Hill on Wednesday to validate that ranking.
Not sure about the rankings but I cannot wait for this game on Wednesday! It'll be a great test for the Bucks and really let us know where they stand. Daequan Cook looks pretty hard to stop right now and Terwilliger has stepped up nicely so far for Oden. I really like to see the local boys do well.

MWM
11-26-2006, 12:43 PM

There's no way they can play with UNC. I don't think anyone outside of Florida can play with UNC this year when it matters. They are flat out loaded.

WVRed
11-26-2006, 12:54 PM
There's no way they can play with UNC. I don't think anyone outside of Florida can play with UNC this year when it matters. They are flat out loaded.

Get Oden back, and maybe.

I'll still maintain that OSU is a year away, and that is if Oden stays. If Oden stays all four years(very doubtful), Matta has a big lead on the class of 08 already. William Buford and BJ Mullins have already committed to play for the Buckeyes.

Its looking great for Buckeye fans, wish I could say the same about the Big Blue.:(

Cedric
11-26-2006, 12:57 PM

Kansas has more talent than both of them, IMO.

They are loaded. It's just a matter of getting that talent to gel.

I'd say Kansas, Ohio State, and North Carolina have a clear talent advantage over the rest of College basketball. Talent doesn't win all the games though.

max venable
11-26-2006, 01:28 PM

Actually. I agree. Bucks will be lucky to hang in there this Wednesday (especially since it's at NC). And yes, if they had Oden they may have a shot...but UNC is terrific.

I too, am excited to watch it. Should be fun.

Danny Serafini
11-27-2006, 02:01 PM
The coaches' poll just came out. And the new #1 basketball team in the land is...

THE Ohio State University. #1 in football and basketball at the same time, now that's impressive. AP poll comes out later today.

max venable
11-27-2006, 02:19 PM
The coaches' poll just came out. And the new #1 basketball team in the land is...

THE Ohio State University. #1 in football and basketball at the same time, now that's impressive. AP poll comes out later today.

That is amazing. I wonder how many times that's ever happened...that any school has been #1 in both.

Now...I don't believe for a minute that the Bucks actually are the #1 B-ball team in the country...but still, the #1 in both thing is way cool.

Go Bucks!

bucksfan
11-27-2006, 02:19 PM
I really take these early season college hoops rankings with a grain of salt. I think we are talented no doubt, but #1? I'd still tend to say Florida for right now, despite the loss to Kansas. I think it will be an interesting game Wednesday, and certainly I am excited to see the team play for the 1st time this year (bessides highlights). I am fearful of the Heels inside play being way too much for us right now. Hunter has been doing well, but we are very thin inside. Twig has not been getting the minutes I thought he would this year so far w/Oden out (playing 19,16,20,20,17,19 minutes) - I am not sure of the reason - but it sounds like his recent outing was very solid.

Regardless of the outcome, it is an exciting season ahead. I do like the fact that in college hoops there are typically some losses in the season that do not derail all hopes for the year.

max venable
11-27-2006, 03:51 PM
They're #3 in the new AP poll.

Danny Serafini
11-28-2006, 10:40 AM
That is amazing. I wonder how many times that's ever happened...that any school has been #1 in both.

With both teams still in-season, it's never been done. The closest is a couple of reigning champs. Notre Dame won the 1973 football title, then in January 1974 the basketball team moved up to #1. And I forgot the year, but UCLA football spent a week in November at #1 while the basketball team was still reigning champs, but their season hadn't yet begun. Those are the closest ones to what OSU has done.

LoganBuck
11-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Has anyone else noticed the 2008 recruiting class that Thad Matta is putting together? It may be as good as this current group of Freshman. Ohio State is in for a very strong run.

bucksfan
11-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Has anyone else noticed the 2008 recruiting class that Thad Matta is putting together? It may be as good as this current group of Freshman. Ohio State is in for a very strong run.

The next 2 incoming classes look very strong indeed, as ,uch as one can predict how kids will pan out anyways.... Nothing like having back-to-back-to-back 7-footers! And really good ones too.

Spring~Fields
11-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Any chance that the Buckeye basketball team wins tonight? I see ESPN has the game at 9pm.

Just wondering as I have not seen them play yet.

Red Leader
11-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Any chance that the Buckeye basketball team wins tonight? I see ESPN has the game at 9pm.

Just wondering as I have not seen them play yet.

Seeing that they are the #1 team in the nation right now, I'd have to believe that there is at least a 50% chance they can beat UNC.

max venable
11-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Honestly, I don't expect them to win. The odds would be MUCH better if Oden was playing. Regardless, win or lose, this game helps. Top-shelf team in a hostile environment will help these kids mature. Plus we go to UT and to Florida. Win or lose...those kinds of non-conference games help build the program and prepare the fellas for March.

redsfan30
11-29-2006, 04:35 PM
I think we have a chance as long as Hunter/Terwilliger stay fresh and out of foul trouble and are able to hold Hansbrough relatively in check. If Oden doesn't play (which I'm still not convinced that he won't....from what I've heard it's possible that he could be the card up Matta's sleave), the center postition is the only spot where Carolina has a decided advantage.

And yes, the next two incoming classes are crazy good.

Danny Serafini
11-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Really looks strange seeing the #1 team in the country as a 7 1/2 point underdog.

bucksfan
11-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Really looks strange seeing the #1 team in the country as a 7 1/2 point underdog.

These early season hoops polls are acting kinda silly too. 1 loss in basketball (e.g. Fla to Kansas) does not mean the team still may nto be the #1 team in the nation. Buckeyes may be able to show they are #1 at some point but to have put them there at this point in the year is very premature right now.

Heck, they only dress 8 scholarship players currently (until Oden is back). I love the direction the team is headed and think they can be very good. But I think tonight will be very tough to maintain the lofty ranking. I will be rooting like crazy though. I am actually much more intense (vocal) watching Buckeye basketball than football. I think it is due to having played basketball my whole life or something.

Twig and Hunter definitely have to stay out of foul trouble and the team as a whole needs to r-e-b-o-u-n-d rebound.

max venable
11-29-2006, 06:12 PM
If Oden doesn't play (which I'm still not convinced that he won't....from what I've heard it's possible that he could be the card up Matta's sleave),

I'll eat my own left arm if Oden plays tonight. Not going to happen.

Spring~Fields
11-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys for the responses I will check them out tonight, should be a nice game.

max venable
12-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Good article by Pat Forde:

Success lifts Buckeyes, Gators into dream state

When you're in charge of nearly $100 million worth of college athletics and 36 varsity teams, the time to savor your accomplishments can be fleeting.

When Ohio State AD Gene Smith needs to feel the joy of the job, he goes to watch his teams play.

"I enjoy competition; that's where I came from," said Smith, a former defensive end at Notre Dame. "When I'm at a game, that's my time to reflect on the joys of where we are."

Chris Trotman/Getty Images
Heisman winner Troy Smith is just part of the Ohio State success story. Tuesday night, Smith went to see his men's basketball team play Iowa State. He watched the most talented teenage player on the planet, freshman center Greg Oden, rack up 18 points and nine rebounds. And at halftime he watched the football team's quarterback, Troy Smith, hold up the Heisman Trophy to deafening applause.

Gene Smith laughed.

"Sometimes these days I have to pinch myself."

Florida AD Jeremy Foley, custodian of a $70 million program and 478 athletes, knows the exact same feeling.

"Every once in a while you have to pinch yourself," Foley said.

There's a whole lot of pinchin' going on in Columbus, Ohio, and Gainesville, Fla., these days. Even for accomplished ADs accustomed to rampant success, the current level of bliss feels like a dream state.

All of a sudden, their programs rule the two glamour sports in college athletics.

The Buckeyes, bullies of the Big Ten, are ranked No. 1 in football and No. 3 in men's basketball. Combined record this academic year in the two sports: 21-1.

The Gators, kingpins of the Southeastern Conference, are the defending national champions in men's basketball and are currently ranked No. 5 in the sport. They're No. 2 in football. Combined record this academic year: 21-3.

For the record, no school has ever won the football and men's basketball national titles in the same academic year. Not only do both the Buckeyes and Gators have a shot at that, they'll have to do it against each other. Right now they're on the verge of one of the more intriguing mini-rivalries in college athletic history.

Pick Your Favorites
Read Pat Forde's look at the top Division I-A college football/basketball programs in the country, and then rank them yourself with our Two-Sport Bragging Rights Listranker poll. Click here

The basketball teams square off Saturday in Gainesville -- Oden head-to-head with the guy who owned the '06 NCAA Tournament, Joakim Noah. Sixteen days later, the football teams play in the BCS National Championship Game in Glendale, Ariz.

"We'll shake each other's hand," Foley said, "then try to beat 'em twice."

Actually, there could be a third meeting three months down the road. It's entirely possible the two hoops teams meet again in Atlanta in the Final Four.

Smith and Foley have two things in common: scads of homegrown talent to recruit from a populous state, and great coaches in the marquee sports.

If Ohio State basketball coach Thad Matta isn't the best recruiter in America, then Florida coach Billy Donovan is. In the Pete Carroll runner-up derby for best football coach in the country, take your pick between Ohio State's Jim Tressel (55-8 the last five years, including one national title) or Florida's Urban Meyer (52-9 the last five years, at three different schools).

Joakim Noah and the Gators are still excited about their 2006 national title.But even with the talent, coaching acumen and big bucks budget, this kind of success still doesn't happen every day. Since the wire services began awarding football national championships in 1936 and the NCAA basketball tournament began in 1939, only seven schools have won at least one title in each sport: Michigan, Michigan State, Maryland, UCLA (split football title in 1954), Ohio State, Syracuse and Florida.

Ohio State has one football national title in the last 37 years (2002). Florida has one ever (1996).

Ohio State won its single men's basketball title in 1960. Florida's title last year was its first in the sport.

So the chance to win 'em both within a year's time is fairly dazzling.

"The last two weeks have been so crazy that there hasn't been much time to enjoy it," Foley said. "But you catch yourself once in a while, saying, 'We're playing for it [the football championship].' Last spring I'd be driving around and it would suddenly hit you, 'Wow, we're national champs in basketball.'"

Said Smith: "It's not easy to come by. That's why all of Buckeye Nation is extremely giddy."
LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2704947)

traderumor
12-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, the Bucks got schooled today. I hope Matta is just experimenting, but ever since Oden came back, the team looks lost. They were really playing well as a unit, then when Oden came back, no one seems to know their role anymore. I don't like the guard rotation at all, none of them are able to get in the flow of the game and get their shooting rhythm. Just a disjointed team that was better before Oden. That isn't to say they would be better long-term, but they have a long way to go before they are even a top 10 team. Thad has to get settled on his guards, though.

Spring~Fields
12-23-2006, 07:32 PM
Well, the Bucks got schooled today. I hope Matta is just experimenting, but ever since Oden came back, the team looks lost. They were really playing well as a unit, then when Oden came back, no one seems to know their role anymore. I don't like the guard rotation at all, none of them are able to get in the flow of the game and get their shooting rhythm. Just a disjointed team that was better before Oden. That isn't to say they would be better long-term, but they have a long way to go before they are even a top 10 team. Thad has to get settled on his guards, though.

Thank you for articulating that so well. I would have never got it so clear and conscise.

You are seeing it right. We even mentioned it when we saw them look awkard against the inferior UC as an indicator of what might and did come today against a seasoned good team.

max venable
12-23-2006, 10:09 PM
They'll be alright. They'll learn from this one. I trust that Matta knows what he's doing. Winning today @ Florida is not nearly as important as winning in March. Give Oden and the boys some time (time to learn to play together and time for Oden to get healthy).

Spring~Fields
12-23-2006, 11:08 PM
They'll be alright. They'll learn from this one. I trust that Matta knows what he's doing. Winning today @ Florida is not nearly as important as winning in March. Give Oden and the boys some time (time to learn to play together and time for Oden to get healthy).

Playing some good teams and getting some experience should help them over time.

This little line was in the stories about the game and I thought it was funny.

"With a few minutes to play, the crowd chanted "over-rated." They followed that with chants of "just like football."

Somehow I think that Tressel will have his over-rated team a little better prepared. ;)

traderumor
12-23-2006, 11:21 PM
I still think the overrated chant is really stupid. Wouldn't it make more sense to say they kicked our butts because they are a really good team? Just more evidence of the best and brightest on our college campuses. If they could use logic the way they can hop up and down at a basketball game, we'd have world peace.

Spring~Fields
12-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Just more evidence of the best and brightest on our college campuses. If they could use logic the way they can hop up and down at a basketball game, we'd have world peace.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

max venable
03-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Football, Men's Basketball, Women's basketball...6 conference titles in 2 years. It's still a good time to be a Buckeye fan!

This year, a Big Ten first: outright titles in all three in the same year! First time in Big Ten history.

The three teams are a combined 42-1 at home this year.

Go Bucks!

redsfan1966
03-03-2007, 06:43 PM
i hope the resurrection of this thread hasnt been a curse....OSU down to the evil that is the University of Meeeechigan.....51-46 with 7:54 to go

redsfan1966
03-03-2007, 07:04 PM
WHEW!!!! 65-61 OSU pulls out a squeaker....sorry U of M fans....your NCAA hopes are shaky at best...

Marc D
03-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Not sure of the exact date but the last time OSU lost in Football or Bball to scUM is now in the 3+ year range for both sports.

These are great times to be a Buckeye.

max venable
03-03-2007, 10:07 PM
WHEW!!!! 65-61 OSU pulls out a squeaker....sorry U of M fans....your NCAA hopes are shaky at best...

Yeah...and it just breaks my heart that they're on the outside looking in. ;)

Spring~Fields
03-07-2007, 07:12 AM
Yeah...and it just breaks my heart that they're on the outside looking in. ;)

Watch out the joy and happy police will get you, er um sour grapes patrol I mean. :laugh:

Chip R
03-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Here are the new uniforms tOSU will wear during the tournament.

http://ee.dispatch.com/Repository2/TCD/2007/03/07/42/Img/Ar0420100.gif

Highlifeman21
03-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Pretty good lookin unis!

IIRC, tOSU Men's Hockey Unis are pretty sweet. When I attended that fine institution, I never could find the authentic grey uni they wore, only the crappy looking replicas.

Marc D
03-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Always good to get one more weasel pelt in the trophy case via the BTT.

Halfway through the 1st round NCAA game and its a woodshed job, we should cruise to at least an Elite 8 if not Final 4 from this bracket.