PDA

View Full Version : Question about passing out...

halcyon
02-20-2006, 10:09 PM
So here's a story:

Today, I'm laying in my recliner, trying to read a chapter for my Software Design class this evening. I feel sleepy, so I try to catch a nap. I slept about 30 mins off and on. I realized that I needed to use the bathroom, so I hopped up and went to handle my business. Sometime during that process, my heart started beating fast and I realized that I suddenly felt horrible. Next thing I know, I'm trying to figure out where I am. It takes me about ten seconds for my vision and senses to kick in and tell me that I'm laying with half my body in the bathtub, arm wet, head and neck hurting. I pull myself up and stumble back to the recliner.

Now, clearly, I passed out. I'm assuming that I just got up too quickly, altho I don't remember the experience of a head rush really. I don't remember anything much. For anyone with experience with this kinda thing, this is nothing to worry about, right? For the record, Its about 5.5 hours later and I still feel kinda lightheaded.

The Baumer
02-20-2006, 10:18 PM
I passed out once when I had a fever. All I remember is the bathroom walls turning yellow and spinning and I couldn't feel anything. Next thing I know I am on the floor but I don't remember falling or feeling any pain.

Falls City Beer
02-20-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm not a medical doctor, but...

1. any new meds?

2. how's your diet?

3. how's your stress level?

Statistically, most likely you have absolutely nothing to worry about. But I'd go see a doctor, just to be sure.

pedro
02-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Normally I would say it was just reading the tech manuals but that sounds kind of scary. I'd be tempted to see a doc if I was you.

RBA
02-20-2006, 10:44 PM
I realized that I needed to use the bathroom, so I hopped up and went to handle my business.

Spakin' the Monkey can do that to you. ;)

In all seriousness, see a doctor. I bet it has something to do with something you ate that day. One time when I was about 24 years old I was laying in bed and I couldn't move anything. I was conscience and I could see, but I couldn't move for what seem to me as 10 minutes. (it probably was much less) I went to the emergency room and they did all kinds of tests and they told me it was gas.

Yachtzee
02-20-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm not a doctor, but any time you lose consciousness, you should get checked out by a medical professional, especially if your head was hurting and you still feel light-headed. Even if you didn't have a problem with your head beforehand, you could have hit your head when you passed out and given yourself a concussion.

halcyon
02-20-2006, 11:41 PM
I think the only thing that stopped me from crackin' my noggin on the shower wall was the shower curtain. I ripped the fabric loose from the rings and I suppose that it probably broke my fall.

Im going to make a doctor's appt but it'll be a few weeks since I'm away at grad school right now.

As for the other questions...no meds, my diet is generally not so good but today wasn't bad, and my stress level is about normal I think. Today my diet was probably better than normal. Cappucino and Nutrigrain for breakfast....crackers, bologna and cheese, a clementine and a fudge round for lunch with water to drink. So who knows.

And Puffy, I was tempted to tell my Prof in class tonite that his book of choice literally made me pass out today. But since he's weird, I decided against it.

Cedric
02-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Are you sure you weren't burning one down?

Terrible joke, I know.

Yachtzee
02-21-2006, 01:19 AM
If you're a grad student, why not drop by the campus health center if they have one, just to be sure.

Hobo
02-21-2006, 01:31 AM
Was this before or after you done your business? Do you or anyone in your family have Kidney problems? Have you went since?
I'd see a Physician as soon as possible, never delay these things.

GridironGrace
02-21-2006, 03:16 AM
Im an EMT.

You said your heart was racing? Did it seem to flutter or cause pain when it did?

Possible problems you could have that would need medical attention:

SVT. Super ventricular tachacardia.. this is when the heart beats so fast that it isnt sufficiant in moving blood and oxygen through your body. It's a common problem and is fixed with medication. The feeling to use the bathroom coulda came from this.. was it #1 or #2?? lol

keep in mind im wining this without knowing all your symptoms or health history. more info i could prolly make a better guess but heres more.

high/low Blood pressure could also cause this.. how old are you?? do you smoke??

Malnutrition-.. maybe you hadnt ate well today? very good possibity if you hadnt that this is what cause the fainting spell.

I would say you should get checked out especially with the racing heart and if your over the age of 40... and ESPECIALLY if your overwieght.

Now if this happens again i pusued you to IMMEDIATLY see a DR..

it could have been cause by a number of things... but the racing heart and lightheadedness is what would worry me as an EMT in the medical feild.

lightheaded means your not getting the proper ammount of oxygen to your brain needed to stay concious

any other history you can provide for me would help alot and ill stay close to this thread until we come up with something... but i would advise you to see your family Dr as soon as you can.

your age please?

Edit: This could be something as simple as an infection or lack of sleep, to something as bad as a heart condition. Atleast going with what you have said so far

Blimpie
02-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Halcyon:

I actually agree 100% with everything that Gridiron Grace posted. Fainting--alone without any other events--could point to a litany of problems. However, you specifically mentioned that you could feel your heart racing prior the the episode. This is extremely telling.

Without boring you with a tremendous amount of clinical information, I would just like to urge you to take this incident quite seriously. Make note of many details regarding the incident (things you ate, meds your were on, etc...) and call your primary care doctor immediately.

If your primary care doctor has the ability to administer an EKG at their office allow them to do so. Afterwards, get he/she to refer you to a cardiologist (so that your insurance can't claim it an "elective visit"). Take the results of your EKG to the cardiologist--but they'll probably want to do their own anyway. The cardiologist will probably also want you to wear a Holter monitor (portable heart event monitor) for at least 48 hours. This will record any irregular heartbeat episodes that might occur. If your primary doctor doesn't think that this is serious, get a new primary doctor.

In light recent studies about various forms of cardiomyopathy, just know that the symptoms that you described (ventricular tachacardia/atrial fibrillation accompanied by fainting) are one of the strongest linked precursors to sudden cardiac death in young people.

Sorry to scare the hell out of you, but I am one month removed from open heart surgery resulting from a congenital heart defect in the cardiomyopathy family. I am very familiar with what you described in your post. Go get yourself checked out for peace of mind--if nothing else.

PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Blimpie

westofyou
02-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Listen to Blimpie, my buddy's open heart surgery involved a racing heart and pass out scenario 2 days before he found out that recent tests revealed he had a problem.

creek14
02-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Halcyon, since I am old enough to be your mama I feel comfortable in saying this - get your little fanny to the Dr. Now. Do you understand me, young man!!

Caseyfan21
02-21-2006, 02:37 PM
I had some problems with this when I was younger. I was at a basketball camp and was getting up to go to a drill and passed out cold. The next thing I remembered was seeing people looking at me from above and blood everywhere (landing face first on asphalt isn't pleasant).

At the hospital, they did all kinds of tests on me to try and figure out what caused it because I had passed out once before and they said it was probably just low blood sugar. They encouraged me to eat snacks during the day to keep going (I'm not a snacker).

Hope that helps but I would definately recommend seeing your doctor. They can help you out a lot more than any of us.

gonelong
02-21-2006, 03:24 PM
risk/reward says go to the Dr.

If its nothing you've only spent a day and a few bucks.

If its something and you don't get it taken care of ... it can cost you your entire future.

GL

vaticanplum
02-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Well, I agree with what everybody says and I definitely think you should go to a doctor lest this be indicative of a bigger problem, but before you start to freak out I do want to point out that a lot of times fainting is no big deal. I faint all the time, several times a year. It runs in my family and I also have two of the problems that Gridiron Grace mentioned -- superventricular tachycardia and low blood pressure (very weird to have both of those). They're not harmful at all and the only thing I ever have to do is warn doctors about it because I almost always faint in the doctor's office and they just want to make sure you lay down. Also, now you know what it feels like so if it happens again you can lay yourself down. Sometimes this helps you feel better or even once in a while can prevent the actual fainting part (although if you do manage to put off the fainting, which is rare, you usually feel even crappier anyway).

So yes, get it checked out, but until you do I wouldn't worry too much about it. Fainting can be indicative of a problem, but it can also be, I think, just a sudden drop in blood pressure and if you're prone to it, it can happen from almost anything. I once sympathy fainted, ie. someone else was in pain and I fainted instead. And my cousin remains perhaps the only child on earth who ever fainted from seeing a picture of the veins in a leaf in her science book.

westofyou
02-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Another note about my buddy who had to have a pacemaker installed at age 40, I've known him almost my whole life and he had some "fainting" spells in the early 80's that no one could really pinpoint until he had problems. That was 20 years ago so the chance that they can detect anything is greater today.

halcyon
02-21-2006, 04:06 PM
I'll call tonite and see what I can work out as far as the Dr. goes I guess. My biggest problem is that grad school involves so much group work that I hate to take time off and let folks try to make up my slack. Thanks for all the advice, however. I really don't think too much about it, as I've felt better most of today. I suspect it was just an incident of getting up too fast or something but I'll try to get back home (bout an hour and a half) to let my doctor check me out.

deltachi8
02-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Halcyon, since I am old enough to be your mama I feel comfortable in saying this - get your little fanny to the Dr. Now. Do you understand me, young man!!

Listen to Creek, she's pre-med.

reds1869
02-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Go to the doctor! My wife had fainting spells in college and it turned out to be a heart condition. You would be wise to get checked out.

Note: my sister who is a fairly well-respected medical researcher concurs.

alex trevino
02-21-2006, 11:17 PM
It's probably nothing to be too concerned about, but getting checked out will give you peace of mind. Good Luck

Chip R
02-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Listen to Creek, she's pre-med.

I thought she was pre-law?

creek14
02-22-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm pre-dinosaur.

Red in Chicago
02-22-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm pre-dinosaur.

no, no, no...you're pre cious:p:

Redsland
02-22-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm pre-dinosaur.
Why, that's pre-posterous!

:)

deltachi8
02-22-2006, 12:36 PM
I thought she was pre-law?

Whats the difference?

creek14
02-25-2006, 06:28 AM
Did you go to the Dr?

halcyon
02-26-2006, 12:37 AM
Not yet, I made an appointment with my primary care physician for next Monday. I've been feeling pretty good lately so I'm prepared to write it off as a fluke. But, like some others wiser than me suggested above, I'm going to go on to the doctor for peace of mind. Unless, of course, I have some other type of episode, in which case I've been told I have to report to the ER.
I have a mid-term this Monday and a major project due on Thurs (does anyone have a simplistic java servlet sax parser that handles RSS 2.0 compliant feeds handy?) so I actually haven't thought about it much lately.

Blimpie
02-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Not yet, I made an appointment with my primary care physician for next Monday. I've been feeling pretty good lately so I'm prepared to write it off as a fluke. But, like some others wiser than me suggested above, I'm going to go on to the doctor for peace of mind. Unless, of course, I have some other type of episode, in which case I've been told I have to report to the ER.
I have a mid-term this Monday and a major project due on Thurs (does anyone have a simplistic java servlet sax parser that handles RSS 2.0 compliant feeds handy?) so I actually haven't thought about it much lately.Good luck on the mid-term and project. Please make sure to keep the appointment. Just because you are feeling better is not a sign that all things are normal....

chicoruiz
02-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Halcyon: Sometime when you have a moment, do a "Google" search for "vasovagal syncope". I had the same thing happen to me under almost identical circumstances several years ago, and that was the diagnosis. I remember coming to and thinking "man, I'm going to go out on the bathroom floor, like Elvis".

But I had it checked out by a real doctor, and so should you.

halcyon
03-07-2006, 12:26 AM
Update:
I kept my appointment today. Everything went well. My blood pressure was perfect (120/80), lungs seemed fine, pulse and heartbeat were normal. They ran an EKG on me which, thankfully, showed nothing funky happening. I was diagnosed with exactly what chico described. Dr. said it shouldn't be a problem unless it happens again in which case I'm supposed to report back to him immediately. They also did some lab/blood work or something that I suppose I won't know the results of for a while anyways but he said he did not expect to find anything weird. Just thought I'd let anyone who might be interested know.

The worst thing I heard while in the Doc's office was, "...you're relatively young...". I coulda done without the italicized word. ;)

gonelong
03-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Halcyon: Sometime when you have a moment, do a "Google" search for "vasovagal syncope". I had the same thing happen to me under almost identical circumstances several years ago, and that was the diagnosis. I remember coming to and thinking "man, I'm going to go out on the bathroom floor, like Elvis".

But I had it checked out by a real doctor, and so should you.

I have passed out a few times and all of them fit the description I ran across. I'll have to check this out a little more tonight and then ask my current Dr. about this ... I have a scheduled appt in a few weeks.

I had myself checked out a few knockouts ago but they couldn't really find anything. I passed out at a Buckeyes tailgate this year ... the lifesquad came over and I registed fine for blood-sugar, blood-pressure, pulse, etc.

Thanks,

GL