PDA

View Full Version : Getting excited

fourrunhomer
02-21-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm really getting excited about getting to watch baseball. I ordered my tickets last night. I'll be going to four Sat/Sun weekends this year. The first one is not til Mid-July though. Thankfully I get Fox Sports Cin.
Why is it that I get my hopes up this time of year even though I know there have been no real improvements to the team over the offseason? Well, except a new owner and GM. I guess I see potential and just hope it materializes this year.

JinAZ
02-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Last year I saw potential and thought we might compete for a wild card vs. the 'stros and Cubs. We'd added some reasonably solid names, and I was optimistic that guys Ortiz could turn it around and be a diamond in the rough. And we saw what happened.

This year, we're going in with essentially the same team as last year, except that there's little reason for us to expect a better performance from anyone save Kearns and maybe Wily Mo or EdE. So I'm not terribly optimistic on our chances.

That said, I am excited to see baseball season approaching. But unless we get a fairly big trade in the next few weeks to bring in some real pitching, this will be a year to watch for personal growth in the players...not wins. :) If DanO was still in charge, that'd be a problem. But I'll probably be in the honeymoon phase with Krivsky all year, so I can deal with another year of futility. Come '07, however, I expect that we'll be getting back towards the 0.500 mark. That's enough time to get this team balanced out and moving in the right direction.
-JinAZ
...now if only I could get the Reds to hold their spring training here in Phoenix...

Tommyjohn25
02-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Come '07, however, I expect that we'll be getting back towards the 0.500 mark.

That would be a major letdown in my opinion. If the goal of this club in the 2007 season is to strive to be a .500 club, Krivsky should be out the door. I'll give him this year, mainly because of the late start, and I really do think he is the guy who turns this club around for a long time. But no more settling for mediocrity after this year, I'm tired of it.

KearnsyEars
02-21-2006, 01:18 PM
It's time for baseball. I am officially excited. The Dunn signing did that for me!

JinAZ
02-21-2006, 01:24 PM
That would be a major letdown in my opinion. If the goal of this club in the 2007 season is to strive to be a .500 club, Krivsky should be out the door. I'll give him this year, mainly because of the late start, and I really do think he is the guy who turns this club around for a long time. But no more settling for mediocrity after this year, I'm tired of it.

I don't really disagree with you in terms of the goal. But I guess I'm a bit more of a pessimist in how quickly things can be turned around. This year's shaping up to be another disaster, but I'd like to see the Reds pull off an '05 Brewers-esque season in '07 and then be in the thick of it come '08. If they can pull that off, I'd be bleedin' ecstatic. It would be so fun to root for a winner again.
-JinAZ

Tommyjohn25
02-21-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't really disagree with you in terms of the goal. But I guess I'm a bit more of a pessimist in how quickly things can be turned around. This year's shaping up to be another disaster, but I'd like to see the Reds pull off an '05 Brewers-esque season in '07 and then be in the thick of it come '08. If they can pull that off, I'd be bleedin' ecstatic. It would be so fun to root for a winner again.
-JinAZ

I got ya. I'm just a bit more of optimist when it comes to what I think Krivsky and RCast can do in their first full offseason next year. But hey we'll see right? One thing is for sure, it's almost time for opening day in the Queen city again!