PDA

View Full Version : Donations for GAC and family

TeamMorris
02-21-2006, 06:37 PM
As many of you have heard, a long time Redszone member and friend of many has lost his home in the past 24 hours due to a fire. All is lost! He and his family were left with nothing but the clothes on their back but the good news is that they are all safe!

Many people have shown interest in helping GAC and his family. If interested in sending a donation through paypal, check, money order or give a gift card please PM me. I will give you my paypal or snail mail address. I will be sure all gets to him!

Any little bit will help! I will not say who gave what but will include a card from RZ and any well wishes you may have for him and his family!

GAC...Best wishes to you and the family! You are in our thoughts!! Please don't fight us. You have always been there when others were in need...It's your turn now!!

RBA
02-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Any IRS/Finanial Advisors? What's the best way to donate without GAC having an impact on his income tax too much? I realize the loss of his house and other personnel effects is probably a big deduction right there and that may off set many cash denotations. Are Wal-Mart gift cards considered income? Are my questions valid? Sorry if they seem like they are inappropiate.

Also, I don't have too much in the way of Reds memorbilla, but I was thinking if people donated one thing from their collections like a baseball card or bobblehead doll, etc it might be a good way to get GAC's collection started again. I will donate my Tony Perez bobblehead doll. TM pm me with the info to send it. Thanks.

Redsland
02-22-2006, 12:54 PM
I don't have too much in the way of Reds memorbilla, but I was thinking if people donated one thing from their collections like a baseball card or bobblehead doll, etc it might be a good way to get GAC's collection started again.
He can have my Danny Graves bobblehead. :p:

Seriously, I think he'd get a kick out of it, given the sign we hoisted in '04. :beerme:

RedsBaron
02-22-2006, 12:59 PM
I don't believe that there will be any tax consequences unless someone gives GAC more than $11,000-in that event, the giver of the gift may owe federal gift tax.
That said, I would welcome the input of any CPAs or lawyers who specialize in tax work.

Chip R
02-22-2006, 01:03 PM
He can have my Danny Graves bobblehead. :p:

Seriously, I think he'd get a kick out of it, given the sign we hoisted in '04. :beerme:
Which, for the uninitiated was...

Redsland
02-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Had RBA already passed out by then?

;)

KittyDuran
02-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Any IRS/Finanial Advisors? What's the best way to donate without GAC having an impact on his income tax too much? I realize the loss of his house and other personnel effects is probably a big deduction right there and that may off set many cash denotations. Are Wal-Mart gift cards considered income? Are my questions valid? Sorry if they seem like they are inappropiate.

Also, I don't have too much in the way of Reds memorbilla, but I was thinking if people donated one thing from their collections like a baseball card or bobblehead doll, etc it might be a good way to get GAC's collection started again. I will donate my Tony Perez bobblehead doll. TM pm me with the info to send it. Thanks.That's a good idea for the memorbilla... I cannot really give too much money right now (car problems).

Heath
02-22-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm willing to donate some Reds stuff that I have. I have a few things I can give GAC.

On edit - I don't know GAC as well as you guys do - what was his favorite thing to collect.

RBA
02-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Had RBA already passed out by then?

;)

I was taking a nap. Thank you. ;)

Redsland
02-22-2006, 01:33 PM
I don't know GAC as well as you guys do - what was his favorite thing to collect.
Empty beer cans.

:D

TeamCasey
02-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Pizza stained boxers.

TeamMorris
02-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Great ideas!! I have already put some pictures together for him on a disk and am working on another project also (shhhhhhh:)). Many he can get back here on RZ but many he can't that I have sent him over the years because I never posted them. If I posted every picture I took we would really have space problems;)

I think he should have his PO box soon and I am sure he will be glad to give it to those who want it (or allow me to do so, he has enough to do) but I would really rather not give out his brothers address without asking his permission first. Anyone in touch with him via phone...could you ask? I don't have his cell number and not sure when he will be able to post again.

I know he would be thrilled with anything you guys can give him to start a new collection!!!

OldRightHander
02-22-2006, 08:01 PM
I don't believe that there will be any tax consequences unless someone gives GAC more than $11,000-in that event, the giver of the gift may owe federal gift tax.
That said, I would welcome the input of any CPAs or lawyers who specialize in tax work.

I'm not a CPA, so my expertise isn't in the area of taxes, but I think you're right on the $11K figure. I don't think gift cards and the like would present any problems there.

traderumor
02-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Yea, this is a gift.

TeamBoone
02-22-2006, 09:11 PM
If people had to claim gifts such as these, every one would have to claim all their Christmas gifts as income.

If someone honestly thinks this is a problem, I have a very good friend who is an IRS auditor. Let me know.

TeamMorris
02-23-2006, 11:17 AM
For those interested in an address to send GAC and family a care package, plese PM me:)

TeamMorris
02-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Thank you to all who have sent donations:)!

To those I have already received please watch for an important PM (well, I think it is important anyway):). To those who's donation may still be in the mail or yet to be sent through paypal, I will also PM you as soon as I receive it.

TeamMorris
02-27-2006, 03:31 PM
BTW...SHHHHHHHHHHHHH:nono: ;)

Edskin
02-27-2006, 03:57 PM
I contacted the Reds about this situation and they quickly responded, telling me that someone else at Redszone had already brought it to their attention and that they planned on putting something together for GAC and family.

Hopefully, whatever it is will at least brighten his day :)

TeamBoone
02-27-2006, 05:20 PM
I contacted the Reds about this situation and they quickly responded, telling me that someone else at Redszone had already brought it to their attention and that they planned on putting something together for GAC and family.

Hey, that's great. Hadn't heard anything about it.

Redsland
02-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Yeah, that's good to hear. I'd planned to contact them about maybe having him throw out the first pitch one night, but if they're already in the loop, perhaps I'll let them figure out the right move.

RedsBaron
02-27-2006, 05:44 PM

A package is being mailed to GAC by the Reds today. I wasn't advised as to what it will include-maybe the Reds are sending GAC Adam Dunn's missing chair.;)

TeamMorris
02-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Very cool!!

remdog
02-28-2006, 12:42 AM

WOW! I'm impressed! Both by the Reds and whoever contacted them from Redszone!

Does anyone say 'Cool Beans!' anymore?

Rem

SirFelixCat
02-28-2006, 03:41 AM

Thanks just awesome. Good for the Reds and the 'zone...we gots us some good peoples round these parts:beerme:

RedsBaron
02-28-2006, 08:04 AM
I should publicly thank Team Clark. I sent a PM to him inquiring as to who to contact on the Reds, and he promptly gave me a name. I then contacted the "name" and that person then referred my inquiry to the community relations department. After a couple of e-mails, yesterday the community relations department of the Reds advised me that a "package" was being sent to GAC.
Team Clark was very helpful and deserves credit.:clap:

creek14
02-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Does anyone say 'Cool Beans!' anymore?

Rem
No. :p:

RFS62
03-01-2006, 07:50 PM
I should publicly thank Team Clark. I sent a PM to him inquiring as to who to contact on the Reds, and he promptly gave me a name. I then contacted the "name" and that person then referred my inquiry to the community relations department. After a couple of e-mails, yesterday the community relations department of the Reds advised me that a "package" was being sent to GAC.
Team Clark was very helpful and deserves credit.:clap:

Well, Greg called me this afternoon and he got his care package from the Reds.

Holy crap, what a haul!!! Autographed baseballs and pictures, hats, souvineers.... He sounded like a kid on Christmas.

Apparently the Reds really did a lot, and he was really touched.

He's moving into a house in the next couple of days, they're delivering furniture and getting it ready now. He asked me to tell everyone how moved he is by all the attention and prayers and well wishes. He'll be back online in a few days and will fill us in.

Great job, RedsBaron and Team Clark. The Reds really came through for him.

:beerme:

GAC
03-01-2006, 08:48 PM

Man! Did It ever brighten my day! Wow! We were up working on the farm house that we found, and they delievered the package. I asked the courier who it is from, and said the Cincinnati Reds. I grabbed the package out of her hand, and ran into the house like a little kid. I could not believe the contents. I got a ball, autographed by all the players, from the last game at Cingery.... another ball autographed by man former Red greats. But get this!.... the letter says he ball were "donated" from John Allen's personal artifacts. :lol:

The balls came with letters of certification. The box was packed full of stuff...

8x10 glossies, autographed by Ears and Griffey
several bobblehead dolls
a Reds pewter set, sent by Carl Lindner
a 3D pic of GAB
a Reds matchbox car

I got numerous other items too; but at this present time (since I am now back at the hotel) I can't recall them all.

All I can say is...God bless you all! I am at a loss for words.

The last 2 days we have been hard at work getting this house ready. Our neighbors provided it. I can't praise them enough either. They have been wonderful, and such great friends. Its a farm house about 8 miles north of our original home, but in the kid's school district. I already got them set up for the new bus schedule on Monday. ;)

RB and rfs have my new mailing address. I don't get cable and HS internet set up til next Tuesday, so if anyone wants my address, then I told them to give it out to them until I get set up.

I know I may sound redundant, but I cannot praise each and every one of you enough. Your thoughts, prayers, and assistance has been invaluable to my family. I have had the opportunity to talk to some of you over the phone since this occurred. And just being able to talk to friends has been very therapeutic for me. You just don't know how much that means to me.

I'm coming down for Opening Day (my first in over 40 yrs as a Reds fan). And nothing in this world can keep me from the Redszone gathering this year. To me...they are just as important, and hold as much value in my heart, as any family get-together I attend. And I'm buying the first round!

Again.... God bless each and everyone of you. I just hope that someday, the opportunity to somehow repay you all, presents itself. Yes, I know that it is not necessary. But that is what true friendship is al about. And to me, you are much more.

Thank you

GAC (and family)

GAC
03-01-2006, 08:50 PM
A package is being mailed to GAC by the Reds today. I wasn't advised as to what it will include-maybe the Reds are sending GAC Adam Dunn's missing chair.;)

The insurance company is completely furnishing the house.... what would I want with a used chair? ;)

GAC
03-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Yeah, that's good to hear. I'd planned to contact them about maybe having him throw out the first pitch one night

The letter I got from the Reds did mention that... and I responded I couldn't fo any worse then Milton on one pitch. In fact, I'd be smarter... bean balls are not the same as hrs. ;)

redsfan30
03-01-2006, 09:31 PM
GAC,

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'd be happy to burn old game tapes to DVD's for you. I've got Opening Day from 2001-2005, Griffey's 500th, Adam Dunn's first game after his callup in 2001, the last game at Riverfront Stadium and many many others.

If you are interested in maybe building up a collection of old games, don't hesitate to say so.

TeamMorris
03-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Well, Greg called me this afternoon and he got his care package from the Reds.

Holy crap, what a haul!!! Autographed baseballs and pictures, hats, souvineers.... He sounded like a kid on Christmas.

Apparently the Reds really did a lot, and he was really touched.

He's moving into a house in the next couple of days, they're delivering furniture and getting it ready now. He asked me to tell everyone how moved he is by all the attention and prayers and well wishes. He'll be back online in a few days and will fill us in.

Great job, RedsBaron and Team Clark. The Reds really came through for him.

:KoolAid: :clap: :party:

TeamBoone
03-02-2006, 12:38 AM

I have a very good friend who is a tax auditor for the IRS. I asked your question.

Her response is short but answers the question: "The limit for cash gifts before any gift tax kicks in is $11,000 so your friend is okay. He may be able to claim a casualty loss on 2006 taxes if his insurance doesn't cover all of his loss."

TeamMorris
03-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Great news on the Reds package GAC!!! What bobbleheads did you get? I have a reason for asking;)

KittyDuran
03-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Well, I contacted the Browns organization (general email) and will be sending a letter (w/photo) for a donation consideration. It's a 4 week process and hopefully the Browns will come through like the Reds. :)

SirFelixCat
03-04-2006, 06:40 AM
Man! Did It ever brighten my day! Wow! We were up working on the farm house that we found, and they delievered the package. I asked the courier who it is from, and said the Cincinnati Reds. I grabbed the package out of her hand, and ran into the house like a little kid. I could not believe the contents. I got a ball, autographed by all the players, from the last game at Cingery.... another ball autographed by man former Red greats. But get this!.... the letter says he ball were "donated" from John Allen's personal artifacts. :lol:

The balls came with letters of certification. The box was packed full of stuff...

several bobblehead dolls
a 3D pic of GAB
a Reds matchbox car

I got numerous other items too; but at this present time (since I am now back at the hotel) I can't recall them all.

The last 2 days we have been hard at work getting this house ready. Our neighbors provided it. I can't praise them enough either. They have been wonderful, and such great friends. Its a farm house about 8 miles north of our original home, but in the kid's school district. I already got them set up for the new bus schedule on Monday. ;)

RB and rfs have my new mailing address. I don't get cable and HS internet set up til next Tuesday, so if anyone wants my address, then I told them to give it out to them until I get set up.

I know I may sound redundant, but I cannot praise each and every one of you enough. Your thoughts, prayers, and assistance has been invaluable to my family. I have had the opportunity to talk to some of you over the phone since this occurred. And just being able to talk to friends has been very therapeutic for me. You just don't know how much that means to me.

I'm coming down for Opening Day (my first in over 40 yrs as a Reds fan). And nothing in this world can keep me from the Redszone gathering this year. To me...they are just as important, and hold as much value in my heart, as any family get-together I attend. And I'm buying the first round!

Again.... God bless each and everyone of you. I just hope that someday, the opportunity to somehow repay you all, presents itself. Yes, I know that it is not necessary. But that is what true friendship is al about. And to me, you are much more.

Thank you

GAC (and family)

That is just awesome. Good something good could come of this. BTW, GAC, you have something small coming from the Mrs. and I to your "old" address. Will that be a problem?

RedsBaron
03-04-2006, 11:17 AM

several bobblehead dolls
a 3D pic of GAB
a Reds matchbox car

Thank you

GAC (and family)
Great to hear. The Reds exceeded my expectations. Wonderful.:clap: :clap: :clap:

TeamMorris
03-04-2006, 08:26 PM
To all that donated...thanks a ton:thumbup: !!

For those that donated cash, I hope to get a check out to GAC by the 8th or 9th. I had to wait (and still am) for out of state checks to clear. If you planned to send a donation and haven't been able to yet, that is fine!! I will be sure he gets all that is coming to him! I will continue to keep a close eye on my mailbox:)

GAC
03-07-2006, 09:51 PM
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/Images/people/j/jerrystiller.jpg

I'M BACK BABY!

We've been on withdrawal for the last week or so with no TV or internet access. It was harder on the kids. They got a "taste" of what it was like when I was a kid, and all you had was a set of rabbit ears on the TV, and all you could get was 4 fuzzy channels and no Cartoon Network. ;)

Life is returning somewhat to normalcy for us. My family cannot thank all those that have reached out to us during this difficult time enough. It has been deeply appreciated. I've been able to talk ove the phone with a few of the "clique", like RedsBaron, rfs, creek, and Chip. They have been invaluable.

rfs said I have a nice little scam going. ;)

This farm house is really pretty nice. It's about 5 minutes north of Bellefontaine and in the kid's school district. It's about a mile from the little village of Rushylvania.

Our insurance has really been there for us. We got the content portion all done and filed.... have the estimate approved for the site cleanup (should happen in the next week or so), and are getting rebuilding estimates this week. So we have the ball rolling basically.

To those that already have my previous email address, it is still good. I can get on their website and check it. But we have Time Warner cable w/ road runner here at this house, and I will email my new address to as many as possible (that I can remember); but if anyone wants it, then please PM me.

I hope to see some of you on Opening Day (tahnks to Chip) ;)

The upcoming baseball season has really kept me going right now.

Thanks again all.

Greg

GAC
03-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Great news on the Reds package GAC!!! What bobbleheads did you get? I have a reason for asking;)

I got a KGJ and Sean Casey.

creek14
03-08-2006, 03:04 PM
I got a KGJ and Sean Casey.
Send me the new address and I'll send my dear sweet little Adam.

Oops I just checked my PM's and see that you already sent it to me. I'll try to wrap up Adam and send him on his way this weekend.

Chip R
03-08-2006, 03:18 PM

Oops I just checked my PM's and see that you already sent it to me. I'll try to wrap up Adam and send him on his way this weekend.

That's going to be a lot of postage.

Heath
03-08-2006, 05:59 PM
That's going to be a lot of postage.

I hope she sends him Priority. Media Mail's bound to get lost.

GAC
03-08-2006, 08:24 PM
I hope she sends him Priority. Media Mail's bound to get lost.

Got your package today Heath. I really don't know what to say. There is some fantastic stuff there. I hope these were all duplicates.... especially the Reds glasses, and the Morgan and Perez bobblehead dolls. WoW! I don't know which book to read first - "Cincinnati and the BRM", or "When All The World Was Browns Town" (this one is must reading ;) ).

I can't express my thanks enough.

I've got one room in this house that is fast becoming a Red's shrine.

Thanks again Heath.

GAC
03-08-2006, 08:29 PM

I still have my Dunn #44 hat. I went back into the house and found the Dunn T-shirt, and the old-time baseball T-shirt that Chip had gotten me, in the dresser that was still standing (that poor T-shirt sure has been through alot hasn't it?). I asked my wife to wash them as many times as it would take to get the smoke smell out of them; but it's a no go. I still wanted to wear them, but she won't let me. ;)

So when I come down this year, a new #44 T-shirt is on the agenda. Some things have to take precedence in this life. :lol:

TeamBoone
03-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Hey, GAC. Try some Febreeze on the shirt... and/or oxyclean. One or both may get the smoke out.

GAC
03-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Hey, GAC. Try some Febreeze on the shirt... and/or oxyclean. One or both may get the smoke out.

Thanks TB, but my wife tried oxyclean and numerous other products, and said it didn't work. I think there was a conspiracy afoot, and she was simply looking for an excuse to finally get rid of some of my T-shirts, which were getting pretty worn. :lol:

I had this hair brush that I have used since before we were married. I loved that brush, and you can't find that style anymore. My wife always hated it. She said afterwards - "Well, at least that #$$%@ hair brush is finally history!"

But when I was digging around in the ruins days later I found it in the charred mirror cabinet. Laughingly I took it and showed it to my wife - "Honey! Look what found. It's a miracle!"

She made me finally put it to rest. :lol:

creek14
03-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Restoring appearance and removing smoke odor from clothing

Soiled clothing is cleaned by a variety of laundry methods; neither can all fire damaged clothing could be cleaned equally as well by the same method. Sort fire damaged clothing as you would sort any soiled clothing by the recommended care method (found on the permanent care label), color and degree of soil.

Some clothing may require dry cleaning because of fiber content, dyes used in the fabric or incompatibility of fabrics such as linings and face fabrics. In some cases, these articles may be subjected to a careful wetcleaning process, even though they are labeled dry clean only. This can be done only with professional expertise when it is felt that the garment will not be wearable unless another process is used.

Sort washable clothing by color (light/medium/dark) and soil (light/moderate/heavy). The majority of clothing items will probably be cottons, polyesters, and polyester/cotton blends. These can be most effectively renewed by using a warm water wash with either a non-built liquid detergent (EraTM) or a low phosphate powder detergent and a liquid chlorine bleach (AllTM and CloroxTM). This recommendation is based on the research findings of Cloud, Bondurant and Keith at Louisiana State University in their study of removing smoke damage from apparel fabrics.

The tests were carried out under laboratory conditions and were evaluated after an equivalent of five home launderings. Therefore, it may not be possible to reach the desired state of color restoration or whiteness after one or two washings. But visibly smoke damaged clothing should be restored after five launderings.

Heath
03-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Got your package today Heath. I really don't know what to say. There is some fantastic stuff there. I hope these were all duplicates.... especially the Reds glasses, and the Morgan and Perez bobblehead dolls. WoW! I don't know which book to read first - "Cincinnati and the BRM", or "When All The World Was Browns Town" (this one is must reading ;) ).

I can't express my thanks enough.

I've got one room in this house that is fast becoming a Red's shrine.

Thanks again Heath.

Its not replacing what you had, but hopefully can add something to your collection. Glad to hear you got it and everything hopefully in one piece.

Enjoy.

GAC
03-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Okay. I just got the package today that was put together by TeamMorris, which included a check for the donations many of you made to my family, along with various Red's memoribilia. My family cannot thank you all enough. It will be put to good use. My wife just started back to work on Monday, after taking a 30 day leave to help take care of the family and various dealings.

We are pretty much settled in our temporary housing, and our routines are as much back to normal as can be. Right now we are all fighting the flu (I love these farm houses :lol: ).

My wife and I have pretty much got the ball rolling on the rebuilding process. We have pretty much done all that we can do, as far as sending in estimates for the rebuild to insurance and filing our content claim. We are now in the waiting process. We hope to get the site cleanup (which has been approved) rolling in the next couple of weeks.

We are looking to put a Unibilt home on there. We have been pretty diligent looking at all our options, and there is one model that we really like, and the company out of Wapakoneta that builds them comes highly recommended. We've talked with their reps numerous times in the last couple of weeks. The homes are built in Vandalia, Ohio, and if we can place our order by the end of April then we could possibly be in it by August.

I again want to sincerely express my deep thanks and appreciation to all that have reached out to my family during this time. You are all a very special group of friends and extraordinary individuals. May God bless.

Greg

KittyDuran
03-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey! Bringing this back to the top - I just got a donation package from the Browns for GAC (I sent them a general e-mail). :beerme:

GAC
03-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Hey! Bringing this back to the top - I just got a donation package from the Browns for GAC (I sent them a general e-mail). :beerme:

I'm gonna have a room that is gonna be the envy of the sports fan's world with Reds and Dawgs memoribilia. :lol:

Thank you Kitty.

We've kind of been in the "wait" mode for the last 2-3 weeks; but got several phone calls all at once today. We got the OK for the site cleanup, which should begin at the end of this week. The insurance company settled with us (check is being delievered to our agent), and we've decided on the contractor to build rebuild. We met last Friday with a contractor who came highly recommended, and we are now firming up the plans. If all goes well, we'll start rebuilding by the end of April and could be moving in by the end of August. He guarantees in writing that he can have us in within 120 days (maybe sooner).

KittyDuran
03-27-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm gonna have a room that is gonna be the envy of the sports fan's world with Reds and Dawgs memoribilia. :lol:Don't get too excited...:D It's probably about a third of what you got from the Reds - but I was really surprised since I haven't heard from the Browns in nearly a month. You will be pleased!:)

GAC
03-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Don't get too excited...:D It's probably about a third of what you got from the Reds - but I was really surprised since I haven't heard from the Browns in nearly a month. You will be pleased!:)

Oh, I'm sure I will be very pleased. I'm reading a book now, given to me by a fellow Redszoner, called "When All The World Was Browns Town".

Chip also told me he has gotten me several books. I thought you people knew me. I don't know where you got the idea I was literate? :D

RBA
03-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Oh, I'm sure I will be very pleased. I'm reading a book now, given to me by a fellow Redszoner, called "When All The World Was Browns Town".

Chip also told me he has gotten me several books. I thought you people knew me. I don't know where you got the idea I was literate? :D

Hey, I just remembered, I may have some old Al Franken books laying around. :evil: I also can burn you a F9/11 DVD.

GAC
03-27-2006, 10:16 PM
I also can burn you a F9/11 DVD.

If you want to burn your copy of F9/11, that would be OK (but kinda extreme)..... Oh, you mean MAKE me a copy! :lol:

kbrake
03-27-2006, 10:21 PM
GAC, I'm from Wapak, just curious what company were talking to about building the new house?

Heath
03-27-2006, 11:29 PM

Hard to put down GAC - I think I read that book a million times - always around July & December for some odd reason....

Drop us Brownie Fans a line when you get the Browns package from Kitty.

KittyDuran
03-27-2006, 11:30 PM

Chip also told me he has gotten me several books. I thought you people knew me. I don't know where you got the idea I was literate? :DI got you a few books as well - mostly the coffee table variety - lots of pictures so your brain doesn't have to work too hard...;)

GIK
03-28-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm gonna have a room that is gonna be the envy of the sports fan's world with Reds and Dawgs memoribilia. :lol:

Thank you Kitty.

We've kind of been in the "wait" mode for the last 2-3 weeks; but got several phone calls all at once today. We got the OK for the site cleanup, which should begin at the end of this week. The insurance company settled with us (check is being delievered to our agent), and we've decided on the contractor to build rebuild. We met last Friday with a contractor who came highly recommended, and we are now firming up the plans. If all goes well, we'll start rebuilding by the end of April and could be moving in by the end of August. He guarantees in writing that he can have us in within 120 days (maybe sooner).

Good thing you're getting that in writing, GAC. My parents started building their 'dream house' around Mar/Apr of last year and it's just now being completed.

GAC
03-28-2006, 09:25 PM
GAC, I'm from Wapak, just curious what company were talking to about building the new house?

We were looking at Unibilt (Becker out of Wapak); but we've decided to go with a "stick built" with a contractor out of Urbana. We're still finalizing the end results. We hope to get started by the end of April.

We liked the Unibilt, but by the time you figure in all the add-ons (which I think are over-priced), you have a chunk of change invested.

Edskin
03-30-2006, 07:18 PM
GAC-- Just browsing around, and I wanted to once again congratulate you on this awesome conspiracy you've cooked up. Hiring the news crew w/ the camera was a GREAT touch by the way. When do you and the kids leave for Hawaii?

:)

GAC
03-31-2006, 06:00 AM
GAC-- Just browsing around, and I wanted to once again congratulate you on this awesome conspiracy you've cooked up. Hiring the news crew w/ the camera was a GREAT touch by the way. When do you and the kids leave for Hawaii?

Don't you mean?.... when do we get back? ;)

The insurance settled with us yesterday (as far as structure), and the content part looks like it will be finalized this next week. We also got the OK the other day to go ahead with the site cleanup, and I called the guy last night and he said he was going to start mid next week. Since the house was pretty much burned to the ground, he said it was only gonna take 2-3 days to clear it out.

We've pretty much settled on a contractor. I've been doing some background checking on him.... Better Business Bureau, got some references, and this weekend we are going to go look at a couple homes he has built and are also "in the process".

I want to personally thank rfs for his advice and "expertise" in this area. He has told/advised me on various issues that I should inquire about that I would have never thought of. It has been very helpful.

If all goes well, we should sign a contract next week. The contractor, in writing (gotta get everything in writing ;) ) has guaranteed that once started, he can complete the job in 120 calendar days and maybe sooner depending on the weather.

I again want to take the time to thank each and every one of you for your support, thoughts and prayers. I told my wife the other day that things have been going so smoothly since the fire that something has to give - that It's kinda scaring me, and I'm waiting for the bottom to fall out somewhere! :lol:

I'm really looking forward to Monday, and meeting some of you on Opening Day. I need a break (so to speak).

NatiRedGals
04-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Aw I send my best wishes im 16 or i would lol i got an interview on tuesday whenever i get my first paycheck ever ill be sure to send something your way!

pedro
04-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Sounds like things are moving along GAC. That's great. Good luck with the new house!

GAC
04-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Well - they started tearing down what is left of the ol' household (shedding a tear). We should be signing a contract with the builder by mid-week.

Here are some pics I took yesterday....

KronoRed
04-09-2006, 02:33 PM
RIP old house.

GAC
04-18-2006, 06:25 PM
We pretty much have the ball rollin' now.

The site cleanup willl be completed tommorrow (Wednesday), and the contractor is going to start laying the block foundation the middle of next week (which is earlier then estimated).

If everything goes as planned (always dependent on weather), we could be completed and moving in by end of July.

If so - cookout at my house! I'm buying!

ghettochild
04-18-2006, 06:40 PM
are you going going to build on the same lot or a new one? whats the house plans look like

GIK
04-18-2006, 07:24 PM
GAC, if you seriously have a BBQ (and you should :beerme: ) I'll definitely try to make it.

Sounds like good progress!

GAC
04-18-2006, 08:49 PM
GAC, if you seriously have a BBQ (and you should :beerme: ) I'll definitely try to make it.

Sounds like good progress!

I'm serious! The least I can do to show my appreciation to everyone.

GAC
04-18-2006, 08:52 PM
are you going going to build on the same lot or a new one? whats the house plans look like

Rebuilding on same lot. We love the location.

Same square footage, but the interior floor design is to our specifications (or my wife's ;) ).

creek14
04-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Same square footage, but the interior floor design is to our specifications
You are adding that special room to house the Adam Dunn Bobblehead, aren't you?

GAC
04-18-2006, 09:31 PM
You are adding that special room to house the Adam Dunn Bobblehead, aren't you?

The only room I had any input on sweetheart. I want a computer room with plenty of shelving, a big screen TV.... and a toilet w/ no seat! :D

Yachtzee
04-18-2006, 10:36 PM
The only room I had any input on sweetheart. I want a computer room with plenty of shelving, a big screen TV.... and a toilet w/ no seat! :D

And the beer tap. Can't forget the beer tap. :)

Chip R
04-19-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm serious! The least I can do to show my appreciation to everyone.

The catch is the BBQ is going to be the same day as moving day. Anyone have a truck? ;)

remdog
04-19-2006, 08:01 PM
The catch is the BBQ is going to be the same day as moving day. Anyone have a truck? ;)

:laugh: Hadn't thought of that! Good call Chip. Very sneeekkkyyyy, mole-man. :laugh:

Rem

GAC
04-19-2006, 08:48 PM

What a great idea! I never thought of that. :lol:

Actually - right now, we really don't have much to move. With the exception of clothing, and a couple computers, everything is rental. And they come to get that. ;)

We've already started to shop/buy furniture. And they are holding that until we get the new house ready.

Hope to have the shindig on a Saturday when they are televising the Reds.... and I have my BIG screen TV, and an Adam Dunn butt cam installed for creek. ;)

GAC
04-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Maybe somebody can help me out here. After all, you all know me and my memory. It' shot! And I am embarassed by this. But I just received a humongous amount of CDs just sent to me from a female poster who didn't ID herself, as far as forum name.

She probably has identified herself to me in the past.... but again, terrible memory. ;)

So.....

Annie DiMario - whoever you are! I can't thank you enough! There are some excellent, excellent CDs on there -alot of great classics.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Greg

GAC
04-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Further update...

They ain't messin' around. Got the new foundation laid. He said they are gonna start framing it up in about 10 days, so GAC has to send them the next installment so they get certain items on order.

We're going down tommorrow to pick out window and roof shingle colors. We upgraded the vinyl siding (can't remember the name, but it looks like wood siding).

So things are progressing rather smoothly.

remdog
04-28-2006, 09:59 PM
No basement? I thought every house in Ohio had a basement. :confused:

Rem

KronoRed
04-28-2006, 10:10 PM
I'd ask about a bomb shelter ;)

Looks good. :)

GIK
04-28-2006, 11:22 PM

Rem

I was wondering the same thing. Do you guys get any twisters around your area?

Decided against a poured foundation? Looks good, GAC!

KittyDuran
04-29-2006, 12:10 AM

RemThere are even full subdivisions that have no basements, just a slab foundation with a crawl space.

GAC
04-29-2006, 07:14 AM

Rem

We're using the Alamo model.

http://graphics.ink19.com/issues/march2003/peeWeeHerman.jpeg

Actually rem - we live in the country and no one in the area can have a basement due to the high ground water level. Our house is actually situated on an underground stream. Our pump is only about 60 ft down.

Great water pressure.... but no basement. ;)

RBA
04-29-2006, 12:22 PM
So you are actually walking on top of water? :eek:

GAC
04-29-2006, 12:27 PM
So you are actually walking on top of water? :eek:

water? fault line? what's the difference? :lol:

GIK
05-18-2006, 01:08 PM
How's the rebuild going, GAC?

GAC
05-20-2006, 08:06 AM
How's the rebuild going, GAC?

Glad you asked.

When I went out this past Monday they had put the finishing touches on the foundation, got the gravel and insulation laid in the crawl space, and had some of the lumber delivered.

Just went out yesterday to check. The weather over the last 10 days has not been kind to us, but they have 7-8 guys working on this house, and in just 4 days they got this much framing done.

In order to get the 3rd installment/payment, there has to be a progress inspection by our bank, and the house has to be at least 45% complete. Our contractor, who has been simply excellent, signed an agreement with the bank that it will be ready for that inspection by the end of May.

And like I said, he is not messing around....

TeamCasey
05-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Looks great, GAC!

KronoRed
05-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Looks nice :)

GAC
05-21-2006, 08:03 AM
I talked with the contractor yesterday. They were out doing some more work on the house. They say they will have it all under roof by Thursday.

Now, the wife and I are started to get excited as we see the results.

We are gonna heat with an electric heat pump w/ propane backup, so I have to go out and buy propane tank (500 Gal). I got estimates and have chosen one local company. It's gonna cost around $1700 total (the tank, hooking it up and testing, and burying it).

And after the ice storm last winter, plus the fact we seem to lose power alot around here during storms, I talked with my contractor, since we are in the early stages, of putting in a generator.

Spring~Fields
05-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Wow they are really moving right along on the new home, looks exciting. I am happy for you Greg that everything is moving along now. :thumbup:

TeamMorris
05-24-2006, 07:40 PM
:beerme: Happy Birthday:beerme:

GAC
05-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Thank you TM.

The big 5-0!

RFS62
05-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Happy Birthday!!!

You're older than dirt, you know.

:beerme: :beerme: :beerme: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday:

RBA
05-24-2006, 11:04 PM
link (http://www.fatwallet.com/redirect/bounce.php?afsrc=1&url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000065CJ6/103-6107693-0753422?n=228013)

Great price if you need one!

List Price: $3,742.00
Was: $1,999.99
Now: $1,399.96
You Save: $2,342.04 (62%)
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours. Ships from and sold by Amazon (http://www.fatwallet.com/redirect/bounce.php?afsrc=1&url=http://www.amazon.com/).com.
Ships in Original Packaging:
This item ships separately and in the original manufacturer's packaging. There will be shipping labels attached to the outside of the package. The contents of this package cannot be concealed. See Product details for more information
4 used & new available from $1,399.96

* Honda 13 HP (http://www.fatwallet.com/redirect/bounce.php?afsrc=1&url=http://www.shopping.hp.com/), OH-voltGX engine provides jobsite reliability
* Maintenance free, brushless alternator for increased durability
* High amp surge capacity ideal for starting high amp tools
* Maximum 120-voltpower switch ensures peak performance of 120 and 240-volt tools
* Jobsite tested frame with panel protection bars

GAC
05-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Wow! Thanks RBA. A Dewalt too. Right up my alley!

I have to talk with the contractor/electrician and see what size I'm gonna need.

But I defintely put that one in my favorites.

They got the roof on the other day. I'lll take so more pics tonight and post them.

I'm gettin' kinda antsy now - as I see the house going up.

The kids were fighting last night over who gets what bedroom. :lol:

Chip R
05-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Thank you TM.

The big 5-0!

In dog years, maybe.

TeamBoone
05-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Hope you boogied all night long!

GAC
05-25-2006, 09:15 PM
In dog years, maybe.

I don't listen to guys who think Hendrix is a better guitarist then Page. ;)

By the way - did I leave a hat down at your place? :lol:

GAC
05-25-2006, 09:29 PM
new pics. They are going to town!

We have rooms!!!!

SunDeck
05-25-2006, 10:57 PM
'dja write your name in that concrete. Looks great- they are flyin'!

Chip R
05-26-2006, 09:02 AM
I don't listen to guys who think Hendrix is a better guitarist then Page. ;)

By the way - did I leave a hat down at your place? :lol:

You should cause they are right. :lol:

I have no extra hats here. BTW, check your e mail.

GAC
05-26-2006, 09:07 AM
I have no extra hats here. BTW, check your e mail.

Oh please - no more nude pictures!

GAC
06-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Construction as of June 9th.....

They are putting in the wiring, plumbing, Heating and AC. This week they are putting in the tubs and various other items in order to get ready to drywall.

By the end of the month we have to order the various floor coverings and pick out paint colors for the rooms.

Talked with a couple landscapers to get estimates. That should be started around the first of July.

GAC
06-10-2006, 07:05 AM
Here's a couple of Samuel (10). He wanted to learn how to mow because he said Rachel was having all the fun.

The boy's not too bright. He is unknowingly entering territory from which there is no return! :lol:

TeamCasey
06-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Looks great, Honey!

Samuel ..... you fool!

KronoRed
06-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Lookin good :)

smith288
06-12-2006, 04:50 PM
House looks good. Im sorta jealous that you have a new build. Hopefully the satisfaction of it being done will help heal the sadness of all of what you lost. (which we all know is just "stuff").

Yachtzee
06-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Looking good, GAC.

At least Samuel gets to ride. Some of us have only known the world of push mowers.

Heath
06-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Looking good, GAC.

At least Samuel gets to ride. Some of us have only known the world of push mowers.

I saw one of the dem new-fangled push mewers with an engine strapped to the top!

:D

BTW-GAC - thanks for sharing - hopefully the wife gives you a nice room to put all your stuff into that you've collected.

GAC
06-15-2006, 07:53 AM
BTW-GAC - thanks for sharing - hopefully the wife gives you a nice room to put all your stuff into that you've collected.

Yeah - we have an over-sized kitchen where there is gonna be a "nook" with a built-in computer desk w/ some nice shelves above with glass doors. It's pretty classy. It's a pretty large area that will be set-up for computer, TV, and miscellaneous "guy" stuff. I'll be able to really multi-task!

Then my wife realized what was going to be displayed in those shelves (since this is MY area) - fine china? Nope. Reds and Browns memoribilia. And thanks so much to so many of you on RZ.

And some day my wife says she'd really like to thank you (but I'd wait till after she completes the anger mgt. classes ;) ).

redsin2006
07-07-2006, 03:05 AM
Good stuff GAC, I remember you from the old days, and sorry to hear about the fire.

RL14

GAC
07-07-2006, 08:38 AM
I haven't posted any pics because they are now putting the drywall up. It's about 30% complete. Once they get the drywall done (expected in the next several days), they have to mud the ceilings and then they begin to paint.

We (or I should say - my wife ;) ).... has already picked out the paint for the room colors and the floor coverings (which comes last).

We're putting hard wood floors in every room except the living room and our bedroom, which will be carpeted. Putting ceramic tile in the baths and kitchen.

The landscaper starts in abut a week or so. He came up and took pics of the house, and then used a computer program to show us what it would look like.

Here are some pics of what it wil look like.... from the leftside, the 2nd pic is the front of the house (railing to be installed... and that ugly tree will be coming out). And the 3rd pic is the back porch (railing to be installed also).

Chip R
07-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Good stuff GAC, I remember you from the old days, and sorry to hear about the fire.

RL14

Did you guys go to the same one room schoolhouse together? ;)

Redsland
07-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Looks great, buddy!

:thumbup:

GAC
07-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Did you guys go to the same one room schoolhouse together? ;)

Yeah- we're the one's who use to steal your lunch money! I can't believe you forgot that! ;)

Red Leader
07-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Looks good, GAC. Glad to hear things are falling into place.

Those trees in the pictures above look like something out of Blues Clues when Blue skidoos. Not having small children, you probably don't appreciate that comment as much as you should.

Anyway, I'm so glad to hear that things are going to be back to normal for you soon.

RFS62
07-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Those virtual bushes are a lot easier to take care of.

KronoRed
07-12-2006, 03:30 AM
Looks nice GAC

I'd also prefer the virtual yard ;)

Yachtzee
07-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Looks nice GAC

I'd also prefer the virtual yard ;)

Yes, it would be much easier to weed if you could just tab through weeds and hit the "delete" key.

GAC
07-13-2006, 04:48 AM
Yes, it would be much easier to weed if you could just tab through weeds and hit the "delete" key.

I was thinkng about this the other day.

Wouldn't it be neat if in the future they come up with the technology that uses some sort of ground sensors/lasers that project 3 dimensional hologram bushes/shrubs around your house? No need to ever trim them, they always look neat and trim, and the programming allows you to change/arrange the styles as you see fit when you want to change the decor.

Laugh all you want! :lol: It could happen!

Now back in the real world....

They have the drywall all done, and are completing the finishing sanding. They are getting ready to mud the ceilings. They'll be painting early next week. They have the interior doors/trim ready for install after that.

They got all the spouting/gutters up, and over the next few days they are going to be finishing up the front/back porches (posts,railing, trim).

They are also gonna lay the front sidewalk, so I moved the landscaper back about another week before he does his thing.

I'm having some "minor" difficulty with the company the bank contracts to do the 90% inspection in order to release the last installment of money for the contractor. It seems the individual wants everything done at his convenience. I'm trying to be "diplomatic" about the whole thing, and do a balancing act, because I don't want to pee him off. I want to get the 90% done early next week so I can get the money released for the contractor to pay his people.

This guy, who jerked me around during the 50% inspection, says it may take three weeks to possibly get up there. I called the main office yesterday and asked to talk with someone in charge and if there anyone else available to do the job if he's not. They are suppose to get back with me today (or at least the better).

My contractor has been simply great though. I can't say enough about this guy and what he has done. He has bent over backwards for us, and really done a fantastic job!

I am definitely gonna let the bank know that I have not been too happy with this company they are using to do house inspections.

But once I get this last installment released I'm done with them, so I'm trying my best to exercise patience. Again - you don't want to pee anyone off at this stage of the game.

But we are getting anxious. It looks like we will be moving in around August 11th. :thumbup:

Chip R
07-13-2006, 10:49 AM
I'm having some "minor" difficulty with the company the bank contracts to do the 90% inspection in order to release the last installment of money for the contractor. It seems the individual wants everything done at his convenience. I'm trying to be "diplomatic" about the whole thing, and do a balancing act, because I don't want to pee him off. I want to get the 90% done early next week so I can get the money released for the contractor to pay his people.

This guy, who jerked me around during the 50% inspection, says it may take three weeks to possibly get up there. I called the main office yesterday and asked to talk with someone in charge and if there anyone else available to do the job if he's not. They are suppose to get back with me today (or at least the better).

Sounds like a job for the RedsZone posse

http://www.popmatters.com/tv/reviews/s/images/sopranos.jpg

KittyDuran
07-13-2006, 10:54 AM
I thought the posse was these guys...:devil:

http://www.strangepersons.com/images/content/14206.JPG

Chip R
07-13-2006, 11:18 AM
You wish. :lol:

Redsland
07-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Kitty, do those jeans make me look fat?

;)

GAC
07-13-2006, 01:23 PM
No wonder this woman is constantly having sexual fantasies!

You know Chip.... if Kitty, when she went out with us after the games, drank.... we could start to look like those guys! :lol:

GAC
07-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Sounds like a job for the RedsZone posse

http://www.popmatters.com/tv/reviews/s/images/sopranos.jpg

I AM the RZ posse!

Got ahold of them again today and talked with the head scheduler. She told me that it's not the job of the "field" guys to reschedule appts, and he had no business doing so.... that is her job, and that she would get it rescheduled for next week.

She also said that if I had any further problems to call her immediately. She had one of those deep female Ukrainian weight lifter voices, so I took her seriously. :lol:

KittyDuran
07-13-2006, 01:29 PM
No wonder this woman is constantly having sexual fantasies!

You know Chip.... if Kitty, when she went out with us after the games, drank.... we could start to look like those guys! :lol:YOU wish....:evil:

How's this pic????

http://www.arroyo-online.net/siteimages/photos/action/bronsontopless.jpg:devil:

RBA
07-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Ouch!!! My eyes!!!! I'm scarred for life now. Thanks Kitty.

KronoRed
07-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Kitty! :rant:

KittyDuran
07-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Ouch!!! My eyes!!!! I'm scarred for life now. Thanks Kitty.He looks fine (except for the cornrows...:shocked:).

GAC
07-13-2006, 09:19 PM
YOU wish....:evil:

How's this pic????

http://www.arroyo-online.net/siteimages/photos/action/bronsontopless.jpg:devil:

Looks like Custer's carcass after Little Big Horn. Where's the arrow puncture marks? :lol:

RedsBaron
07-15-2006, 08:22 AM
I thought the posse was these guys...:devil:

http://www.strangepersons.com/images/content/14206.JPG
When GAC posted that photo of (left to right) me, CQ, GAC, Chip, Creek's husband and SC Red (check GAC's post), I objected. My wife had thought I was out of town on business. What's worse, we are now all in much better shape than we were when that photo was taken.

GAC
07-15-2006, 08:00 PM
And everyone says lawyers never lie! :lol:

TeamBoone
07-18-2006, 12:55 PM
I read the article that went with that BA pic... he said it looked like he was striking a pose, but in reality he'd been swimming and and was freezing. He had his back to the concrete wall because it was warm.

GAC
07-20-2006, 07:21 AM
They are ready to start painting (today). The countertops & cabinets, as well as the interior doors & trim, are all here and is the next step.

They are also pouring the cement for the front sidewalk today so the landscaper can come in sometime next week.

It seems like things have really been moving slow over the last couple of weeks; but I'd say this time next week the house will look alot different.

We're still shooting for around the 11th of August.

RedFanAlways1966
07-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Great news, GAC! :) :thumbup:

GAC
07-27-2006, 11:13 AM
The interior painting is complete and they are putting in the cabinets and countertops. They also started this morning putting in the ceramic tile in the bathrooms and kitchen.

Within the next 7-10 days I'd say the house will be pretty much complete, with only "finishing touches" needed (plumbing fixtures, etc).

I had to call an exterminator yesterday. There was a huge hornets nest in the tree right outside the front door (about the size of a basketball). One of the painters didn't notice it, and went out and banged his brushes against the tree.

I guess the hornets didn't like that and nailed him. ;)

I was told that if I went out there at night with a giant baggie the hornets are not active, and I could knock it off into the bag.

I asked what were my odds of getting stung and they said pretty slim.... and I said that's not good enough! :lol:

GIK
07-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Don't forget the BBQ. ;)

Looks good, GAC!

creek14
07-27-2006, 12:08 PM
The interior painting is complete and they are putting in the cabinets and countertops. They also started this morning putting in the ceramic tile in the bathrooms and kitchen.

Within the next 7-10 days I'd say the house will be pretty much complete, with only "finishing touches" needed (plumbing fixtures, etc).

I had to call an exterminator yesterday. There was a huge hornets nest in the tree right outside the front door (about the size of a basketball). One of the painters didn't notice it, and went out and banged his brushes against the tree.

I guess the hornets didn't like that and nailed him. ;)

I was told that if I went out there at night with a giant baggie the hornets are not active, and I could knock it off into the bag.

I asked what were my odds of getting stung and they said pretty slim.... and I said that's not good enough! :lol:

Which room is lil bobblehead Adam going to get?

GAC
07-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Which room is lil bobblehead Adam going to get?

Hey! I miss you and Bob sweetheart! Haven't heard from you in awhile.

The two pics (top center) were taken of the kitchen, standing where the cubby (or should I say "hubby") area is for my computer desk, TV, and cabinets for all my sports memoribilia.

It's the only area of the house (besides our bathroom) that I can say is mine! :lol:

But I did get my 55" Sony TV though.

I really would like to have an "appreciation" cook-out in September (a Saturday).

Throw some dates at me folks. ;)

SunDeck
07-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Man, lot's of color! I can't remember if you said you were putting in hardwood, but if so, those colors are going to look great with it. Or, at least my wife says so. I'm a color dork.

Glad, glad, glad to see the progress.

GAC
07-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Man, lot's of color! I can't remember if you said you were putting in hardwood, but if so, those colors are going to look great with it. Or, at least my wife says so. I'm a color dork.

Glad, glad, glad to see the progress.

Yep. Hardwood floors (actually Pergo) in a majority of the house (with sectional carpets). Ceramic tile in the 3 bathrooms and kitchen. The only rooms getting carpeting are the living room and our bedroom.

GAC
07-30-2006, 07:16 AM
Met with the contractor yesterday to confirm carpet selection. He also recommended that we go with Bryant hardwood floor instead of the Pergo. He brought a sample with him. He's been using it for years. If anything happens to the Pergo, then you have to rip it up and replace it. With the other, it's 3/4 " thick, and if needed, can be sanded refinished. And it is far more durable.

Here's some more pics of the kitchen after they got the ceramic floor in, and pretty much finished the cabinets. All the countertops get installed this week.

The very first pic is where Redszone "central" will be. All of the Reds/sport memoribilia so many of you kindly sent me will be "enshrined" in the glass cases above the desk. But "Adam from Milwaukee" needs a special area. ;)

Also this week - put in the furnace/central AC, whole-house generator, plumbing fixtures, and misc. electrical/cable outlets.

We're looking (fingers crossed) at about two weeks.

Oh yeah - the last picture, of my 10 yr old Samuel, I didn't know was taken until I downloaded the pictures. One of these days I gotta have a long talk with that boy. ;)

redsfan30
07-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Looks great, GAC!

SunDeck
07-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Oh yeah - the last picture, of my 10 yr old Samuel, I didn't know was taken until I downloaded the pictures. One of these days I gotta have a long talk with that boy. ;)

Whew! For a minute I thought that was the contractor.

Nice call on the flooring in my opinion. I know the laminates are getting really nice, but there's nothing like a solid wood floor (now that I've refinished a couple of them...) for "renewability".

And you mentioned that the landscaper is holding off, too. Another good call. You're getting into the ideal time of year for planting and installing a lawn. Things will get started with the remaining summer and early fall and will be in better shape come spring. Planting in the middle of the summer just means you have to work that much harder to keep the stuff alive.

Sounds like things are falling into place nicely, brother.

TeamMorris
07-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Looks very nice GAC!! I love the color.

That picture of Samuel cracked me up:laugh:. Boys...what can you do!

Spring~Fields
08-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Looks great

GAC, keep up with the pics will you? I keep poping on site to check to see if you have new posting here.

GAC
08-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Looks great

GAC, keep up with the pics will you? I keep poping on site to check to see if you have new posting here.

The house inspector, who works for an outside agency contracted by our bank to do the inspection/track progress, FINALLY showed up yesterday to do the 90% inspection (for the 2nd time).

He lives in Northridge (Springfield), and I found out he's the cousin of a guy I know who worked as a detective in the police dept. there.

The guy is an idiot!

Anyway - this company is the most inept, lame organization I have ever met. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

He came out on the 19th and was suppose to meet me at the house at 3 PM so I could sign off on the inspection report. I got there at 2:50 and waited an hour. It seems he got there at 2:30 (early), did the inspection, which takes about 10 minutes, and left. He then signed HIS NAME to the report which violates his company's protocol. The guy had my cellphone number. If he had called me he would have discovered that I was on the way and about 10 minutes from the house.

I needed this inspection completed and sent to my bank so I could release the final payment to my contractor, who has been simply fantastic.

From the 19th to the 28th I fought and went back and forth with this company. They told me the inspection was never done, then they couldn't find it... and finally, after making many threats and also calling the bank and letting them know what I thought of this organzation, this company said they have the report, but because HE signed it and not ME, it was an invalid inspection, and it had to be redone.

The bank told them to simply send the report they had and they would accept it. They wanted to get this thing resolved. This company said they wouldn't, and that a new inspection was rescheduled.

Who's working for who here?

The bank sincerely apologized to me, and after lengthy discussions with them, confessed that they have been having problems with this particular company. My bank is located in CA, and this company in Kentucky and Texas.

So anyway, they did the inspection yesterday, and I told their supervisor at the main office that I was going to be hounding his butt every day (5 times a day if I have to) until that report is in the hands of the bank.

I said a few other choice things to that can't be printed on this forum. ;)

I'll take some more pics this afternoon.

All the interior doors and trim are in. The electrician is due out to install all the electrical/cable outlets. All my appliances are being delivered Friday morning so the contractor can install them.

Countertops - Monday
Hardwood floors/carpeting should be installed (fingers crossed) by the end of next week.

Of course then my wife says she needs to go out there and clean. What is it with you woman! :lol:

So I'd say the week after next we'll start moving stuff in.

Interesting (and sad) note: I discovered that one of the subcontractor's nephew was killed in Iraq. He was from Columbus, Ohio.

Spring~Fields
08-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Causes bells and red flags to go off in my head, questioning the integrity of the inspection, those inspections are for you and your's protection as much as they are for the financial institutes or county regs.

GAC
08-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Causes bells and red flags to go off in my head, questioning the integrity of the inspection, those inspections are for you and your's protection as much as they are for the financial institutes or county regs.

I agree. But this company has their illustrious heads up their butts.

Got a call from them this afternoon - they wanted to schedule the inspection..... the inspection that was done yesterday. ;)

Again - the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Indu WangZi
08-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Nice digs..glad everything worked out for you and your family. Good karma is a great thing.

Wood floors are great...I've recently purchased some apartments and they are cement shells..so had to fit everything out. Ive used wood floors (ranging from teak to brazilian nut wood) and have been more than pleased. Plus, it's great in terms of the re-sell value.

GAC
08-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Looks like our move-in date is gonna be the weekend of August 19/20. We'll probably use that weekend to go in and do a total house cleanup prior to moving stuff in and getting furniture delivered.

It's gonna be a hectic week with trying to get that accomplished, the kids starting school, and getting my oldest boy through the final stages of his leg rehab. My wife right now is kind of an emotional wreck with these two issuing "colliding". But we'll get through it.

My brother and his wife are gonna come up one day then, while the teenagers watch the other kids, and help us do the house clean-up.

I won't post any more pics till the end of this week. By this weekend they should have all the appliances installed/plumbed, the countertops on, and minor electrical leftovers done, and partial completion on the hardwood floors. The final electrical/plumbing inspections are set up for next Tuesday.

We finally got the money issue cleared up with our bank. I am so glad I will no longer have to deal with that inspection company anymore. What a group of dolts! The bank is FedXing the rest of money to me later this week.

Spring~Fields
08-10-2006, 11:50 PM
The bank is FedXing the rest of money to me later this week.

What time did you say that Brinks er um FedX truck was due to arrive? :evil:

creek14
08-14-2006, 06:17 PM
When's the party again?

GAC
08-15-2006, 07:26 AM
What time did you say that Brinks er um FedX truck was due to arrive? :evil:

Going down to the house this morning to pay the contractor (95% level). The poor guy has been simply fantastic, but hasn't been paid a dime (thanks to the bank, who could care less) since the 50% level.

They are finishing up the hardwood floors today, the plumbing and electrical inspectors are coming in tommorrow. Thursday, the last day, they install the carpet and do their final clean-up.

We can start moving in on Friday. My wife and I are hoping that our employers don't schedule mandatory work this weekend (they have the last couple). If they do, then I'll be going in and talking to them, explaining our situation (which they already know of), and telling them I won't be there. ;)

I'll try to post some more pics tonight if I have time.

GAC
08-15-2006, 07:28 AM
When's the party again?

I really would like to have an Appreciation cook-out in September.

What is a good weekend for everyone? Throw some dates out! We could watch the Reds on my big screen Sony and watch them clinch the division. ;)

Chip R
08-15-2006, 10:10 AM
I really would like to have an Appreciation cook-out in September.

What is a good weekend for everyone? Throw some dates out! We could watch the Reds on my big screen Sony and watch them clinch the division. ;)

Sept. 9th or 30th would be fabulous.

Redsland
08-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Sept. 16, 23 or 30 work best for me.

TeamCasey
08-17-2006, 06:44 AM
I'll be out of town most of the second half of September, but the girls may be around.

GAC
08-18-2006, 06:51 AM
Well folks!.... I did it again..... strained/pinched nerve in my lower back. And it really couldn't happen at a more opportune time. I laid around yesterday alternating ice and heat on it in hopes of being able to grind it thru work Thursday night; but it was a no-go. My kids had to help the old man to get out of bed. ;)

The house is done (as of Thursday). They are coming back in Friday just to finish off a few minor details and complete their cleanup. It looks simply fanatastic.

After I go to the Dr this morning, then I have several errands I need to try and run around town. My teens are gonna have to help me because I'm having a hard enough time just standing erect right now. But I am sure once I get thru the chiro visit he'll have me somewhat in better shape.

If Naron needs me, I'm sure I can pitch the 9th and do just as well. ;)

The whole family is going over this evening and do some basic cleaning/moving some stuff in. We really don't have much too move from this house at all. About 3-4 van trips.

The fun part is tommorrow. Everything gets delivered on Saturday.

I'll take some finishing pics tonight and try to get them posted maybe tommorrow morning, because after Saturday we won't have any cable or internet access until next Wednesday. If not, then I'll post them then.

I'd have to say that September 30th is probably the date I am settling on for my Appreciation Cook-out. I know it's gonna be kinda hard to find one particular date that is satisfactory to all, but Labor Day weekend is out, the 9th I have a family reunion in Springfield, and the 30th looks like a "common" date that most can attend.

The Reds are in Pitt September 30th, but according to the schedule it is not televised. Bummer!

But hey Chip! OSU plays Iowa that day! ;)

Again - I want to thank everyone for their support and prayers through this whole ordeal. It's dear and close friends like you all that made it more bearable for me and my family.

GIK
08-18-2006, 12:04 PM
I'll have to go with the Hawkeyes. Whatever you decide, I'll try and be there.

Congrats on everything being almost complete!

RFS62
08-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Strained back on moving day, eh?

Very nice.... very nice, indeed.

You truly are an evil genius.

Chip R
08-18-2006, 05:38 PM

Yeah, when he said it couldn't have happened at a more opportune time, it was the truth. Well played.:beerme:

GAC
08-19-2006, 06:52 AM

That's SUPER GENIUS.... and I learned from the master

http://files.blog-city.com/files/aa/32486/p/f/coyote.gif

Got to the house yesterday around 8 AM, and was there until 9 last night. I was promoted from super genuis the contractor's gopher - carrying out trash, testing appliances, cleaning the garage, touch-up spackling/painting. My wife actually wanted the washer-dryer hooked up immediately in order to do laundry right away that night. What is it with you woman? Is it a laundry gene?

After the contractor left, then the REAL Boss showed up around 4 PM. ;)

We brought everything down that we had bought/accumulated for the kitchen and baths. Rachel and I washed down every bit of trim/hardwood in the house with Murphy's Oil Soap.... I got the high area and she did the lower. We were a heck of a team.

My wife took charge of the 3 baths and kitchen because she said we wouldn't do them right. Do you think we argued? She did allow me to unpack all the new plates/silverware and try out the new dishwasher. I felt truly humbled.

I finally screamed surrender around 9 last night and came home to get some sleep. The contractor and I are gonna be there around 7:30 this morning to finish up on some minor details - he has to mount the counter top on RZ central, and that is a precision job that can't be rushed. The electrician is coming back up to finish wiring in the generator and garage door opener.

The railing around both the front/back porches won't be in till this week, so he's gonna have to come back.

But we are ready for Saturday when everything is being delivered. My neighbor is gonna loan me his pick-em up truck this morning to bring the last load of stuff down.

Here are a few picks I took yesterday. I'll take some more today and try to get them posted before I move this computer.

1 - hallway looking down toward the kid's rooms
2 - dining room
3 - Aaron's room
4 - Rachel's room

Spring~Fields
08-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Looks super!:)

GAC
08-21-2006, 07:49 AM
We spent our first night in the house last night. We slid in a DVD and ordered pizza - watched the new King King - or at least the rest of the family did - I only made it thru the intro! :lol:

I'll post some finished pics later in the week. I will lose internet at this house today and won't get it hooked up at the new house till Wednesday.

pedro
08-21-2006, 07:36 PM
We spent our first night in the house last night. We slid in a DVD and ordered pizza - watched the new King King - or at least the rest of the family did - I only made it thru the intro! :lol:

I'll post some finished pics later in the week. I will lose internet at this house today and won't get it hooked up at the new house till Wednesday.

Glad to hear it GAC. I know this has been tough for you and your family. :)

TeamCasey
08-21-2006, 07:59 PM
http://www.imperialcrownapartments.com/content/photos/DSC00047.JPG

:thumbup: :beerme:

RANDY IN INDY
08-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Congratulations, GAC. Hope you and your family enjoy the new home. Looks great!

RFS62
08-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah, his place really turned out well.

:cool:

remdog
08-22-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm sure it will be a relief to finally get settled in G-Man. I know it's been a long, tough road but you and your family have handled it all admirably.

Welcome home, best wishes and God bless! :beerme:

Rem

RBA
08-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Yeah, his place really turned out well.

:cool:

Is that Tiger Wood's place?

RFS62
08-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Is that Tiger Wood's place?

Those pics were in an email that circulated the web saying it was Tiger's place. I know he has a house in Isleworth, the same place as Barry Larkin and Junior, just north of Orlando. This may be Tiger's, but it's on the ocean.

11larkin11
08-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Woah. Hey GAC, you're from Bellefontaine? Im from the big IL!

GAC
08-24-2006, 06:21 AM
Woah. Hey GAC, you're from Bellefontaine? Im from the big IL!

Cool! I have quite a few friends/co-workers that live up that way.

The cable company finally showed up yesterday and connected us back up to the real world.

They say that everyone has an exact double in this world. I wish I could have took a pic of the cable installer..... it was Kevin Costner! :lol:

We're gradually getting stuff settled in. The kids started school and I return to work tonight. They are suppose to come up before the end of the week and do the rough grade around the house. The landscaper comes in next week.

SPECIAL NOTE: I have my old charter email address back again for those that had it. So the "columbus.rr" one is no longer valid. I'll try to send it out to everyone.

GAC
08-27-2006, 08:13 AM
Here are some finished interior pics of the kitchen (w/ RZ Central), Living Room, and Dining Room.

We're still trying to get stuff hung, and had to order the blinds for some of the windows in the bedrooms.

I'm not gonna post any exterior pics yet until the landscaper comes up this week and starts to do his thing. It's a war zone right now. They did a rough grade on the outside Friday. Took me almost 2 hrs to get the riding lawnmower going after sitting since the end of last summer.

BuckWoody
08-27-2006, 10:48 AM
GAC, you're new home looks great, I'm glad that everything seems to be coming together well for you. My parents lost their home and pretty much everything in it to a fire in January of 2005. It was really hard on them and the whole family so I have an idea of what you and your family have been through. They've been in their new house for almost a year now and everything has worked out well for them. I hope that everything works out as well for you and yours.

TeamMorris
08-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Everything looks great!!! So glad you and the family are back home!!

Team Clark
08-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Hmmmm.... Looks like the Memorabilia section is a little low. Maybe I can fix that...:D

MartyFan
08-28-2006, 05:30 PM
GAC!!!

AWESOME! Fantastic...very cool how things are restored...hope you and your family are happy, comfortable and safe for many years.

GAC
09-08-2006, 07:54 PM
The landscaper showed up the other day and has been doing a heck of a job. He's got the front of the house (pics attached) pretty much done and is working on the sides/back. He has to still bring in some top soil for the yard and do some leveling/seeding; but he should be complete by the end of next week.

He's also removing a 25 ft pine tree from in front of the house near the road. It's simply not in a good location.

Chip R
09-08-2006, 11:08 PM
The landscaper showed up the other day and has been doing a heck of a job. He's got the front of the house (pics attached) pretty much done and is working on the sides/back. He has to still bring in some top soil for the yard and do some leveling/seeding; but he should be complete by the end of next week.

He's also removing a 25 ft pine tree from in front of the house near the road. It's simply not in a good location.

Pimp My House. ;)

GAC
09-09-2006, 08:08 AM
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlLA/original/pimp%20suit.jpg

TeamCasey
09-14-2006, 06:55 AM
It looks beautiful GAC. I wish I could get up there. On the road a lot right now.

GAC
09-14-2006, 09:37 PM
I just posted an update on the cook-out thread for everyone to read. I apologize but I have to postpone it because of my work schedule. Maybe it will work out where even more of you can attend. ;)

GAC
11-02-2006, 08:40 AM
I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers during this very difficult year for my family. With your help, we came through it very well.

I have PM'd one of the mods to un-sticky this thread because I feel it has run it's course, plus I need to delete some attachments since I have gone well over the forum's allotment. ;)

Again, thanks everyone.

I'll start up a new thread this Spring to kick around some dates for my Appreciation Cook-out.