PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn. "I'm very happy here. I honestly didn't want to go anywhere"

princeton
02-21-2006, 08:44 PM
maybe we need players with more ambition

OnBaseMachine
02-21-2006, 08:50 PM

Gainesville Red
02-21-2006, 09:12 PM
I don't care how many homeruns he hits, he needs to hit .320 ;)

Bob Borkowski
02-21-2006, 09:34 PM
...and not strike out so much.:mooner:

princeton
02-21-2006, 09:35 PM
"The guys that we want here are the guys that wouldn't want to be here"

princeton
02-21-2006, 09:40 PM
"By George, that's right! But how do we get guys that don't want to be here to want to be here?"

princeton
02-21-2006, 09:41 PM
"Yes, but we need to take precautions because in the past, once we got them to want to be here, they were no longer guys that didn't want to be here"

princeton
02-21-2006, 09:41 PM
"So, did we still want them?"

princeton
02-21-2006, 09:42 PM
"Of course not. And usually they then no longer wanted to be here. So we wanted them again"

princeton
02-21-2006, 09:46 PM
"Small market baseball's a lot like collegiate dating. So does any player's dad own a company that will hire me after this baseball thing is over?"

princeton
02-21-2006, 09:48 PM
"Eric Milton?"

flyer85
02-21-2006, 10:25 PM
If you play it backwards it says "I really want to play in Houston".

westofyou
02-21-2006, 10:56 PM
A group of frogs were traveling through the woods, and two of them fell into a deep pit. All the other frogs gathered around the pit. When they saw how deep the pit was, they told the unfortunate frogs
they would never get out. The two frogs ignored the comments and tried to jump up out of the pit.

The other frogs kept telling them to stop, that they were as good as dead. Finally, one of the frogs took heed to what the other frogs were saying and simply gave up. He fell down and died.

The other frog continued to jump as hard as he could. Once again, the crowd of frogs yelled at him to stop the pain and suffering and just die. He jumped even harder and finally made it out. When he got out, the other frogs asked him, "Why did you continue jumping. Didn't you hear us?"

The frog explained to them that he was deaf. He thought they were encouraging him the entire time.

pedro
02-21-2006, 11:00 PM
thank you sufist master.

A group of frogs were traveling through the woods, and two of them fell into a deep pit. All the other frogs gathered around the pit. When they saw how deep the pit was, they told the unfortunate frogs
they would never get out. The two frogs ignored the comments and tried to jump up out of the pit.

The other frogs kept telling them to stop, that they were as good as dead. Finally, one of the frogs took heed to what the other frogs were saying and simply gave up. He fell down and died.

The other frog continued to jump as hard as he could. Once again, the crowd of frogs yelled at him to stop the pain and suffering and just die. He jumped even harder and finally made it out. When he got out, the other frogs asked him, "Why did you continue jumping. Didn't you hear us?"

The frog explained to them that he was deaf. He thought they were encouraging him the entire time.

M2
02-21-2006, 11:01 PM
"Yes, but we need to take precautions because in the past, once we got them to want to be here, they were no longer guys that didn't want to be here"

That's some funny stuff.

Team Clark
02-21-2006, 11:05 PM
"At least when he's done playing he can come back to coach here"

StillFunkyB
02-22-2006, 07:27 AM
"At least when he's done playing he can come back to coach here"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Roy Tucker
02-22-2006, 07:31 AM
I'd never join a club that would allow a person like me to become a member - Woody Allen

KearnsyEars
02-22-2006, 08:34 AM
I'm lost.

Heath
02-22-2006, 09:00 AM
I'm lost.

I'm Heath - nice to meet you, lost. :D

ochre
02-22-2006, 09:17 AM
I think princeton has a defeatist attitude :)

princeton
02-22-2006, 09:59 AM
I'd never join a club that would allow a person like me to become a member - Woody Allen

Marx brothers

before them..?

KronoRed
02-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Me.

PuffyPig
02-22-2006, 05:45 PM

If he was deaf, how could he hear them say "Why did you continue jumping. Didn't you hear us?"

Or is this one of those "solve the mystery" type things?

KronoRed
02-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Maybe the frogs knew sign language?

creek14
02-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Here's the article. Yeah, just another one who can't leave the ole creekster. :devil:

Dunn Wants to Talk Longterm Deal with Reds

SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) - When the Cincinnati Reds' new ownership came to Adam Dunn with a multiyear contract offer, he signed right away.

Now, he'd like an even longer deal.

Dunn agreed to a two-year, $18.5 million contract on Feb. 13, four days before his scheduled salary arbitration hearing. Until Wayne Krivsky was hired as general manager five days earlier, the club had been willing to discuss only a one-year deal. The change in approach thrilled Dunn, content to play for the team that drafted him in 1998.

I'm very happy here," Dunn said. "That was my whole thing. I basically would like to do a deal to where I don't want to go anywhere. I like it here.

But on the other hand, I definitely wanted an ownership that would come in and prove that they wanted not just to be competitive, but to win. I think they definitely have the right two men for the job."

After owner Bob Castellini took over in January, he changed general managers and took a more aggressive approach to upgrading the club. He had to approve Krivsky's decision to give Dunn the two-year deal, which includes a club option for a third year. Dunn will be paid $7.5 million this season and $10.5 million in 2007. The club has an option for a $13 million salary in 2008, which it can buy out for $500,000.

Until Krivsky decided to discuss a two-year deal, it appeared Dunn was headed for arbitration.

"I obviously didn't want to go to arbitration, didn't want to have something like arbitration hanging over my head for the spring and the year," Dunn said. "I'm glad everything worked out." At some point in the next two years, Dunn would like to talk to Castellini and Krivsky about adding more years to the deal.

"I can't wait to sit down and talk to them," Dunn said. "They seem like people I can talk to. You know how it is with people in that position, but these guys seem as normal as can be."

Dunn, 26, is the only player in Reds history to have two seasons with 100 runs, RBIs and walks. He hit .247 last season with 40 homers, 101 RBIs and 114 walks, becoming the third player in Reds history - George Foster and Ted Kluzewski are the others - to have consecutive 40-homer seasons.

The challenge this season is to change positions while keeping his offensive production up. Dunn will take over at first base for Sean Casey, who was traded to Pittsburgh in the offseason.

Dunn was the primary backup at first base last season, and doesn't expect many problems moving from left field to the position he played earlier in his career.

"I haven't really thought about it," he said. "Well, I have, obviously, but I don't think it's going to be as big a transition as it was for me going to the outfield. I hope not."

RFS62
02-22-2006, 10:22 PM
If he was deaf, how could he hear them say "Why did you continue jumping. Didn't you hear us?"

Or is this one of those "solve the mystery" type things?

lip reader

traderumor
02-22-2006, 10:29 PM
lip readerfrogs have lips?

KronoRed
02-22-2006, 10:35 PM
I told you all..sign language

Reds Nd2
02-23-2006, 06:21 AM
frogs have lips?

Lips? I'm just suprised to learn frogs can talk.

OnBaseMachine
02-23-2006, 06:29 AM
"I obviously didn't want to go to arbitration, didn't want to have something like arbitration hanging over my head for the spring and the year," Dunn said. "I'm glad everything worked out." At some point in the next two years, Dunn would like to talk to Castellini and Krivsky about adding more years to the deal.

"I can't wait to sit down and talk to them," Dunn said. "They seem like people I can talk to. You know how it is with people in that position, but these guys seem as normal as can be."

One word: Awesome.

I had not heard that part until just now. Sounds like Dunn wants to be here for a LONG time. Build the team around Dunn.

KearnsyEars
02-23-2006, 08:47 AM
Just thought of something, now that dunn is a first basemen, he'll never get to start the AS game unless we outvote all the Pujols followers!

traderumor
02-23-2006, 09:32 AM
One word: Awesome.

I had not heard that part until just now. Sounds like Dunn wants to be here for a LONG time. Build the team around Dunn.No, no. It's negative that one of the best young hitters in the game wants to stay here.

princeton
02-23-2006, 09:55 AM
It's negative that one of the best young hitters in the game wants to stay here.

agreed. the Reds hope that they've found their Ernie Banks. "Let's lose two!"

that said, for a winning small market team, Dunn's value is declining rapidly as his price jumps

thankfully, we've got nobody else good enough to pay