PDA

View Full Version : Roberto Petegine signs with Mariners

pedro
02-22-2006, 04:06 PM
on tuesday according to today's paper.

can anyone give any reason why this guy has never been able to break through in the US?

Is he a horrible fielder? Person?

The guy absolutely lit up Pawtucket last year. (.327 BA, .452 OBP)

westofyou
02-22-2006, 04:09 PM
His power has never translated in MLB enough to sway the brass.

Or he eats babies.

pedro
02-22-2006, 04:10 PM
His power has never translated in MLB enough to sway the brass.

Or he eats babies.

with teams throwing years away at the feat of players like JT Snow and Darin Erstad it just doesnt make any sense to me.

westofyou
02-22-2006, 04:12 PM
JT Snow has the face, looks good in jeans, has good genes and fields like Vic Power.

Ravenlord
02-22-2006, 04:18 PM
since returning from Japan he's signed with a team that was pretty much full at 1B/DH, and now he's signed with a team that has Sexson, Carl Everett, and Raul Ibanez to fill the same area. seems he's just not garnering interest from the teams that could use a 1B/DH.

TRF
02-22-2006, 04:40 PM
since returning from Japan he's signed with a team that was pretty much full at 1B/DH, and now he's signed with a team that has Sexson, Carl Everett, and Raul Ibanez to fill the same area. seems he's just not garnering interest from the teams that could use a 1B/DH.

Either that or he's a moron. or he likes AAA ball.

KronoRed
02-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Hey..maybe he likes the smaller crowds :D

Far East
02-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Extremely small sample size in Pentagine's 18 game stats with the 2005 Red Sox:

AB R H HR RBI BB K AVG OBP SLG OPS
32 4 9 1 9 4 5 .281 .361 .438 .799

Interesting, however, that he struck out only one more time than he walked and that with only 9 hits he got 9 RBI.

Anybody who could have maintained that RBI/AB ratio would have driven in 168 runs in a 600 AB season!

cincinnati chili
02-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Or he eats babies.

At the winter meetings in Nashville in '02, I asked a then-farm director (who has since been named a major league GM) why no MLB team made a big push to sign Petagine, in light of his takeoff in Japan. I asked if he'd heard any "dirt" that would get the guy blacklisted.

He assured me that the latter wasn't the case. He said that his club would have gladly offered him a million or two, but wouldn't risk the kind of jack he was getting in Japan ($6 mil. per at the time, IIRC). The Japanese clubs simply valued him more than the American clubs, since he proved himself over there.

Usually, when you give a great hitter 300 or 400 major league at-bats, he proves himself. I submit to you that this is an exception. Petagine was a great hitter in his peak, and people over here will never know it.

savafan
02-23-2006, 03:06 AM

Millar, Olerud, Ortiz, Youkilis...tough for Petagine to get much playing time with the BoSox. I think I'd actually prefer him to Hatteberg on the Reds right now.

Far East
02-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Usually, when you give a great hitter 300 or 400 major league at-bats, he proves himself. I submit to you that this is an exception. Petagine was a great hitter in his peak, and people over here will never know it.

His ML lifetime 15 2B, 11 HR, and 52 RBI in 339 AB would theoetically convert to
26 2B, 19 HR, and 92 RBI over a 600 AB season.

Not the Casey doubles machine, but with a higher ratio of home runs per AB -- just under 19.5, while Casey has averaged just over 17.5 HR per every 600 AB.

oneupper
02-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Well, we signed Tuffy Rhodes, a proven star in Japan
(far past his prime, albeit).

And there's Alex Cabrera also, if you want a 1B who hit a TON over there.
I think Alex is going back to Japan, however. He'll probably start at 1B for Venezuela in the WBC if anyone wants to get a good look at what he can do.

jmcclain19
02-24-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't know if anyone else has picked up the 2006 Hardball Times Annual yet.

But in it, Rob Neyer speaks highly of Petegine - and talks about how using a platoon of Millar & Petegine could have netted the Red Sox a few more victories last year instead of Francona blindly sticking with Millar while he floundered.

westofyou
02-24-2006, 11:29 AM
But in it, Rob Neyer speaks highly of PetegineNeyers has been pimping Roberto like Huggy Bear since the late 90's, he's the penny stock that he never sold.