PDA

View Full Version : You Know You're From Cincinnati When...

savafan
02-23-2006, 04:59 AM
Your idea of a three-way is chilli over spaghetti topped with cheddar

You know what goetta is - and you've eaten it

You hate Cleveland, but you don't know why, and you've never been there

You think Pete Rose and Marge Schott were railroaded

You say "Please?" instead of "Excuse me?"

You think Northern Kentucky is part of Ohio

You've been to California, Wyoming, Coney Island, and Over-the-Rhine in one day

There are less than 100 murders a year, and you still think you're in Detroit

You think Dayton is a Third World country

What groundhog? It's the St. Patrick's Day parade leprechaun that forecasts how much longer winter will last.

Indiana is about 20 miles away, but it takes about four hours to get there.

It's too cold in the winter, and too hot and humid in the summer, to ever stay outside for very long.

You drive to Columbus or Louisville to avoid the prices at the Cincinnati airport.

City council members hold debates on whether or not they should debate in the first place.

Tourists still flock downtown to catch a glimpse of cast members from "WKRP," even though the show hasn't aired on network television since 1984, and the show was filmed in LA anyway.

You ask lifetime residents where the President Taft house is, but they don't know either.

If you do something -- anything -- in public long enough, sooner or later it will be banned.

Your low-fat diet is never low enough to exclude Graeter's ice cream.

You get through winter listening to Marty and Joe's broadcasts from the grapefruit leagues.

Big Red Smokies are a ballpark treat, not cause to dial 9-1-1.

If necessary, the city could easily be sliced into two new cities: East and West, and it would take 20 years for anyone to notice something happened.

Chocolate and cinnamon, not peppers and beans, are in your chili.

You can drive 30 minutes in any direction to hear a different accent than your own.

You can accurately judge people's social status by which Kroger's store they frequent.

You can go to any church festival in any neighborhood on any weekend and see at least five people you either work with, went to school with, or dated.

Even the slightest mention of former baseball commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti makes your blood boil and your ears steam.

If the temperature hits 45 degrees, and the sun comes out in any month between November and April, people walk around downtown wearing shades and no jackets.

The top stories on the local 6 o'clock evening news look suspiciously like the articles you read in the newspaper that very morning -- and even use the same quotes.

Any carbonated beverage is a "coke."

Your favorite convenient store sounds like a labor union.

You can't hear the words "Mike Brown" without getting angry.

You honestly believe that Pete Rose should be in the Baseball Hall Fame.

You have more stadiums, coliseums, and arenas than you know what to do with.

It doesn't seem weird to you that everyone has an Uncle Al.

Your favorite Coney Island isn't in New York.

You like Nick Clooney better than George Clooney.

You know how Jerry Springer got his start.

You know what a pony keg is.

You have friends and neighbors with names like Machenheimer, Guckenberger, Schlottman, Schoenling, and Schweitering.

You know that cars (like eggs) are cheaper in the country.

An all-boys or all-girls school doesn't seem that odd to you

You think a mixed marriage is when an East Sider marries a West Sider.

You know the difference between Hudy and "Who Dey."

You know what cream ale is, and you think that cream soda should be bright red.

You think Kentucky is only slightly more civilized than Afghanistan.

You know in which state the Greater Cincinnati Airport is located.

vaticanplum
02-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Any carbonated beverage is a "coke."

Is this true? I thought this was a southern thing. My impression has always been that any carbonated beverage in Cincinnati was pop.

max venable
02-23-2006, 10:22 AM
Is this true? I thought this was a southern thing. My impression has always been that any carbonated beverage in Cincinnati was pop.
You're right vat, it's not that way in Cincinnati. It's all pop. The coke thing is exclusively southern.

westofyou
02-23-2006, 10:26 AM
If necessary, the city could easily be sliced into two new cities: East and West, and it would take 20 years for anyone to notice something happened.
That place on the otherside of I-75 is the Land of the Lost as far as I am concerned, drop me off there and I'm as helpless as Will, Holly and Dad... all without a Chaka to help me along Spring Grove Avenue.

minus5
02-23-2006, 10:45 AM
You're right vat, it's not that way in Cincinnati. It's all pop. The coke thing is exclusively southern.

Seems like it used to be that way a bit more years ago. I'm not saying everyone did it but I can remember all soft drinks being referred to as Coke when I was a kid by people. Although I grew up in NKY.

minus5
02-23-2006, 10:47 AM
I also remember all the old timers, when I was a kid, pronouncing Cincinnati as Cincinnata.

Redsland
02-23-2006, 10:52 AM
I was told that people here did that, but it took 25 years before I heard anyone pronounce it that way. The offender was Uncle Carl on the occasion of the Griffey press conference.

Chip R
02-23-2006, 11:10 AM
I also remember all the old timers, when I was a kid, pronouncing Cincinnati as Cincinnata.
Sparky Anderson pronounces it like that all the time.

LincolnparkRed
02-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Tourists still flock downtown to catch a glimpse of cast members from "WKRP," even though the show hasn't aired on network television since 1984, and the show was filmed in LA anyway.

For some reason I still feel immense hometown pride whenever the theme song for that show starts playing.

I was 7 when that show went off the air but in college it came on after Melrose Place on E late at night and I would watch as much as possible

KittyDuran
02-23-2006, 11:14 AM
I also remember all the old timers, when I was a kid, pronouncing Cincinnati as Cincinnata.Most recent offenders include Sparky, Seg and my Mom...;)

Yachtzee
02-23-2006, 11:14 AM

Actually, I always thought that was a OH/KY split on that. My paternal grandfather, who grew up in Mt. Washington, always said "Cincinnati." Of course his parents were "off-the-boat" Donauschwaben and said "Zinzinnati", so that might be a factor as well. My maternal grandfather, from Western KY, stills says "Cincinnata".

KittyDuran
02-23-2006, 11:15 AM
You're right vat, it's not that way in Cincinnati. It's all pop. The coke thing is exclusively southern.It's been "pop" for me and my family (except my Dad who sez "dope").

TeamBoone
02-23-2006, 11:28 AM

Unfortunately, this one has changed... big time!

macro
02-23-2006, 11:37 AM
You think Northern Kentucky is part of Ohio

It IS a part of Ohio. When you reach Florence coming from the south, you have entered Ohio. :)

KronoRed
02-23-2006, 11:47 AM
We are NOT part of Ohio :p:

SunDeck
02-23-2006, 12:19 PM
My wife needs a map to find Anderson Ferry and I am still surprised whenever I find Hyde Park Square. It's like, "Oh, here's Hyde Park Square. Let's stop at Graeters."
And my wife always says, "No, those old ladies are too weak to make a full scoop. Let's go to Aglemesis....Okay, I'll drive."

By the way, always went to the Graeters' on Ferguson, where those husky, Mercy girls know how to dig down into the ice cream.

SunDeck
02-23-2006, 12:20 PM
We are NOT part of Ohio :p:
Yes y'ar!
:evil:

WMR
02-23-2006, 12:45 PM

You think Kentucky is only slightly more civilized than Afghanistan.

Never let the truth stand in the way of a good line.

Roy Tucker
02-23-2006, 12:47 PM
I recently saw Jerry Springer do some commentary on ESPN Classic and he still ends with "take care of yourself, and each other".

Jerry and Norma.

CTA513
02-23-2006, 12:49 PM
It's been "pop" for me and my family (except my Dad who sez "dope").

Most of my family says "pop", but we have an aunt that moved back here from california that says "soda" and we make sure to bug her about that.

:D

Caveat Emperor
02-23-2006, 01:03 PM
I recently saw Jerry Springer do some commentary on ESPN Classic and he still ends with "take care of yourself, and each other".

Jerry and Norma.

Ahh, Jerry Springer -- Cincinnati's "Ron Burgandy," minus the whole incredibly stupid thing. Of course, that would make Pat Berry the Cincinnati "Brick Tamland" -- which might be somewhat accurate.

That place on the otherside of I-75 is the Land of the Lost as far as I am concerned, drop me off there and I'm as helpless as Will, Holly and Dad... all without a Chaka to help me along Spring Grove Avenue.

If I need to find something on the west side, I still have to use MapQuest to figure out where I'm going.

As far as my own "internal sense of direction" is concerned, anything west of Kenwood might as well be marked "Here be the Monsters."

TeamBoone
02-23-2006, 01:08 PM
It's soda where I come from.

Funny, back when we first moved here, TeamMorris was waitressing and asked the patron what kind of soda. The patron says "you're not from around here are you?".

KronoRed
02-23-2006, 01:14 PM
It's Soda in Florida..and that's the only true way to say it ;)

KronoRed
02-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Yes y'ar!
:evil:
Are not

YALL :D

SunDeck
02-23-2006, 01:16 PM
As far as my own "internal sense of direction" is concerned, anything west of Kenwood might as well be marked "Here be the Monsters."

I didn't know my cousins' homes were marked on the map.
This thread has me yearning for a cold one at the Crow's Nest.

SunDeck
02-23-2006, 01:17 PM
Are not

YALL :D

Okay that settles it. If you were part of Cincinnati, you'd say "you's".

Roy Tucker
02-23-2006, 01:27 PM
If I need to find something on the west side, I still have to use MapQuest to figure out where I'm going.

I had to go find Oak Hills High School for a volleyball match last year. I felt like I was driving to Oz. That was quite the odyssey.

I also considered painting over the "Mason Middle School - Honor Student" self-aggrandizing bumper sticker I had on my car to avoid mayhem and stonings.

rdiersin
02-23-2006, 01:34 PM
I had to go find Oak Hills High School for a volleyball match last year. I felt like I was driving to Oz. That was quite the odyssey.

I also considered painting over the "Mason Middle School - Honor Student" self-aggrandizing bumper sticker I had on my car to avoid mayhem and stonings.

Nah, too many West Side transplants in Mason for that. Now if it was Indian Hill .........

KittyDuran
02-23-2006, 01:43 PM

Jerry and Norma.Jerry and "Normer" ;)

TRF
02-23-2006, 04:44 PM
As I was reading that list, I started to smile as I read the word "Pony Keg."

as for Northern Kentucky/Afghanistan... I lived in Lower Price Hill.

brrr.

SunDeck
02-23-2006, 04:52 PM
We drove in from Bloomington to hit the slopes at Perfect's and decided to go to my parents' place up in Western Hills. I just had to stop in the drive through pony keg right at the state line on US 50; there is nothing cooler than buying beer and pretzels without leaving the car. My kids think it the shizzle, too.

Matt700wlw
02-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Most recent offenders include Sparky, Seg and my Mom...;)

And :lindner:

Caseyfan21
02-23-2006, 05:50 PM

My grandparents still pronounce it like that all the time, my grandma especially.

Another one to add to the list:

You know you're from Cincinnati when you actually know how to spell Cincinnati.

alex trevino
02-23-2006, 09:53 PM
There are two major political parties in your city and they are both republicans.

alex trevino
02-23-2006, 09:54 PM
You think "cornhole" is a sport.

SunDeck
02-24-2006, 07:23 AM
And a "chili hole" sounds like a good place to eat.

flyer85
02-24-2006, 09:49 AM
http://www.thegreatcornholio.com/images/cornholio/corn2.gif

OldRightHander
02-24-2006, 11:59 AM
My grandmother says Cincinnata and calls soft drinks sody. She's from eastern Kentucky though. I have an amusing story regarding the use of the word "please." I grew up in Georgetown, Ohio and I can't honestly recall many people using that out there, even though it's only 50 miles from Cincy. In 1993 I moved closer to the city and worked at a UDF for a few months as a second job. One night I was working behind the ice cream counter and a customer ordered a hot fudge sundae. I asked him if he wanted nuts and he said, "please". So I turned around and proceeded to sprinkle nuts on the sundae. When he saw me putting the nuts on he said, "Hey, I don't want nuts on my sundae." I replied, "But you said please." He just looked at me funny and then I remembered hearing it used that way in college and I made him another sundae. All along I just thought he was being polite.

westofyou
02-24-2006, 12:01 PM
You Know You're From Cincinnati When...

You depend on your teams pitching staff to outperform their skill level to make the team competive.