PDA

View Full Version : Vote For Your Favorite and Least-Favorite NFL Helmets at USA Today

macro
02-23-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure why they're doing this at this time of year. This would seem to be one of the least-likely times of year to focus attention on the NFL, but anyway...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-02-22-helmets-sidebar_x.htm#helmets

FWIW, my choices were:

AFC East/West

Favorite: Dolphins (always loved that logo)
Least: Bills (how many different colors of stripes are there again?)

AFC North/South

Favorite: Bengals (way ahead of its time, and now a classic)
Least: Titans (worst helmet in the league, and they have such potential if they'd change from white and use the "T" sword logo instead of the flaming ball)

NFC East/West

Favorite: 49ers (the ONLY thing I like about that franchise!)
Least: Giants (the lone red stripe on the navy helmet is a mistake - it doesn't show up well)

NFC North/South

Favorite: Packers (I like the cheese color)
Least: Lions (absolutely ruined their helmets and uniforms with the misplaced black stripes)

They're going to narrow it down to eight semifinalists and ask you to vote again on Sunday.

Johnny Footstool
02-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Best: Bengals, hands down. Cool design that incorporates the whole helmet, not just a logo.

Worst: Browns. Your team is named after a color, and yet that color is barely featured at all on your helmet. Worse, you don't even have a logo.

KronoRed
02-23-2006, 12:05 PM
AFC East/West
Fav: San Diego..bolts are cool
Least: Denver..looks like a high school art project

AFC North/South
Fav: Jacksonville
Least: Titans...goofy

NFC East/West
Fav: Eagles
Least: Seattle..too blue..Giants would have won a few years ago but the old logo works

NFC North/South
Fav: Bears
Least: Saints

macro
02-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Worst: Browns. Your team is named after a color, and yet that color is barely featured at all on your helmet. Worse, you don't even have a logo.

Actually, the Browns are named after a family. If they were going to color-coordinate, they'd need to use some sort of flesh tone in their uniforms. :D

M2
02-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Worst: Redskins, I'd like to see them get back to the "R" helmet

HalMorrisRules
02-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Best helmet ever belongs to Da Raidahs!!

deltachi8
02-23-2006, 03:24 PM

The R helmet rocks.

RedsBaron
02-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Helmets I like include:
The Bengals-at first I wasn't crazy about the stripes, even though it was an improvement over the original boring helmet, but I've grown to really like the helmet.
The Jets-I always think of Broadway Joe and Super Bowl III when I see that helmet.
The Colts-classic and simple.
The Raiders-I was a huge Raiders fan from 1967 through about 1985, especially during the Lamonica/Blanda/Stabler era.
The Chargers-I actually like their old AFL white helmets, paired with the powder blue jerseys even more.
The Chiefs-bold red with the arrowhead is an original that still works.
The Cowboys-timeless use of the lone star and so much better than their first helmet.
The Lions-I've always liked it, though I agree no black need be added.
The Rams-I've actually lukewarm on this one-the blue and white helmet from the 60's was better.
The Packers-another classic

Helmets I don't like:
The Titans-I agree with earlier posts.
The Browns-too boring.
The Bills-a jumble.
The Ravens-too busy.
The Broncos-I've never cared for it.
The Panthers-looks unfinished to me.
The 49ers-I loathe that team and everything about it.
The Redskins-I don't like the nickname or the helmet.

Caveat Emperor
02-23-2006, 06:11 PM

I liked the spear helmets they were wearing for a lot of games during the otherwise forgettable Spurrier years.