PDA

View Full Version : Oddity about Chipper Jones

BCubb2003
02-25-2006, 12:01 AM
He has played 12 years in the majors and has never finished out of first place.

RedsBaron
02-25-2006, 08:12 AM
I hadn't thought of that. Of course, with six divisions, that remarkable feat is easier to achieve than when there were two leagues with no divisions. Had the AL had three divisions throughout his long career, Yogi Berra probably would have never failed to have been on a first place team, either.

alex trevino
02-25-2006, 11:51 AM
That is odd....The braves run has been pretty amazing...as much as I dislike Bobby Cox gotta respect what he has done.

PickOff
02-25-2006, 12:18 PM

Equally odd, even though he has finished first 12 years, he has only won one World Series ring.

Yachtzee
02-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Yet still more odd, he is a grown man with the given name of Larry, yet chooses to be referred to as "Chipper."

TeamBoone
02-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Yet still more odd, he is a grown man with the given name of Larry, yet chooses to be referred to as "Chipper."

Just like Pokey, Gookie, etc., I'm sure Chipper has been his "name" all his life; rather than a conscious choice, I'm sure it just stuck.... right Chip?

pedro
02-25-2006, 03:37 PM
That is odd....The braves run has been pretty amazing...as much as I dislike Bobby Cox gotta respect what he has done.

why do you dislike Bobby Cox?

butlerbulldogs
02-25-2006, 06:17 PM
i hate the braves, but Chipper is my favorite player

Yachtzee
02-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Just like Pokey, Gookie, etc., I'm sure Chipper has been his "name" all his life; rather than a conscious choice, I'm sure it just stuck.... right Chip?

Sorry, No offense to Chip. I just like picking on Chipper Jones. On the one hand, he bugs me, as do all Braves players, after having had to watch them for so many years as my primary outlet for Reds baseball. On the other hand, I do get a kick out of Skip Caray's incredibly nasal "CHIPPAH JOHNES" call.

Redsland
02-25-2006, 08:21 PM
When the Reds were closing in on the record for most games without being shut out, Atlanta came to town. This was in 2000 or 2001, IIRC. Anyway, it got to be the ninth inning, and the Braves had scored and the Reds hadn't. Desperate to extend the streak, if not win the game, a rally materialized when Chipper Jones muffed one at third. The Reds eventually scored an unearned run to continue their charge toward the record, and even rallied to win the game.

I was surrounded by Braves fans. I wasn't very charitable, I'm afraid.
:evil:

alex trevino
02-25-2006, 08:40 PM
why do you dislike Bobby Cox?
partly the wife beating thing, mostly envy

pedro
02-25-2006, 08:53 PM
partly the wife beating thing, mostly envy

fair enough.

Reds Nd2
02-25-2006, 09:32 PM

The Reds were beating the Braves 6-3 in the bottom of the 8th on May 21, 2003. I was sitting next to the most arrogant Braves fans imaginable. Anyway, after hearing for the whole game how the Braves most certainly would not lose two in a row to the loser Reds, Dunn comes up to pinch hit with Stinnett on 2nd base and Lopez on 1st base. That's when the "he strikes out too much" chorus began. I just took another pull on my Bud Light and told them that Dunn was going yard in this particular at bat. The laughter, on their part, ensued at that point, but you know what they say about laughing last and the loudest. I don't recall the particular count, but sure enough Dunn blasted one out of GABP to put the game out of reach for the Braves and thus giving the win to Chris Reitsma. Who, ironically, would eventually be traded for the guy who gave up Dunn's pinch hit HR. None other than our very own Jung Keun Bong.

TeamBoone
02-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Why was he pinch hitting?

Great story, BTW.

KronoRed
02-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Obviously because Reggie Taylor needed playing time ;)

Reds Nd2
02-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Why was he pinch hitting?
Two words, Bob Boone.

Great story, BTW.

Thanks. Sean Casey also had one of his four stolen bases for 2003, in that game. Witnessing in person The Mayor stealing a base has to rank up there as must see. That was cool!

Reds Nd2
02-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Obviously because Reggie Taylor needed playing time ;)

Reggie didn't play in that game. He did pinch hit for Heredia the next night and promptly grounded into a "Casey". :)

Jpup
02-26-2006, 05:10 AM

much like Derek Jeter.

Chip R
02-26-2006, 06:48 AM
When the Reds were closing in on the record for most games without being shut out, Atlanta came to town. This was in 2000 or 2001, IIRC. Anyway, it got to be the ninth inning, and the Braves had scored and the Reds hadn't. Desperate to extend the streak, if not win the game, a rally materialized when Chipper Jones muffed one at third. The Reds eventually scored an unearned run to continue their charge toward the record, and even rallied to win the game.

I was there too. I think it was 2000 cause McKeon was still managing. I believe John Rocker was pitching and McKeon went out at least once to argue a call and I think it threw Rocker off his game.

KronoRed
02-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Reggie didn't play in that game. He did pinch hit for Heredia the next night and promptly grounded into a "Casey". :)
Solid value there :lol:

tts1stros
02-26-2006, 05:04 PM
As an Astros fan, I hate the Braves more than anything else on this entire earth.

* I hate them for giving the Astros the reputation of being playoff chokers. (It's amazing how your bats go silent when you're facing Smoltz-Maddux-Glavine every GAME!)

* I hate them for their stupid tomahawk chop. I was laughing about how stupid it was at a game and got told by a Braves fan I have to "Respect the chop!" Buddy, if you're going to come up with your own special team-cheering-thingy, you'd better expect other teams to mock it. That goes double if you rip it off from another team. And triple if it's stupid anyway. Quadruple if it gives me a headache.

* I hate them for Walt Weiss.

* I hate watching Leo freakin Mazzone rock and rock and rock and rock until you have to look away from the TV because you can't stand watching him anymore.

* I hate that they have their own cable network and thus have legions of "fans" who don't know anything about baseball. I'm in college, and I've met Braves "fans" from Kansas, Washington, Maine, Texas, Missouri, Mexico, and the Honduras. Give me a break!

* I hate their damn announcers! I know Skip Caray does Braves games now, and he's not quite as bad as those morons they had on before, but he's close. (Side note: Worst announcers in baseball: 1. Rangers 2. Braves 3. Cubs)

I could go on and on and on and on and on and on....but I'll stop here.