PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield's option hot topic again (2/24)

TeamBoone
02-25-2006, 04:05 PM
February 24, 2006
Sheffield's option hot topic again

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Gary Sheffield vented his frustration Friday, then left Legends Field upbeat about his future with the New York Yankees.

Sheffield was angry over television reports about a meeting earlier this week during which New York general manager Brian Cashman said the team would likely pick up his $13 million option for next season.

"The way it looked on TV, it made me look like I was 2 years old," Sheffield said, "like I can't go into a room, be told something and then tell you what I was told. If I come out of the room positive, are they playing games with me or something? You're supposed to be positive if your general manager comes out and says there's a possibility they'll pick up your option. They don't see no reason not to. I produced for two years. What else do you want me to do?"

Sheffield talked reporters after the Yankees' worked out. He also address the matter again after meeting with Cashman, who sought out the right fielder after learning of his comments.

"It was best to have a sit-down and talk to each other face-to-face," Cashman said, "make sure we understand each other. I'm glad we did. We had a good conversation, and I walked out of that feeling good, like I did the last time. It was something that was important to have. Hopefully, this is all behind us and we can go forward. There will be a time and a place for the option."

Sheffield is entering the final season of a $39 million, three-year contract, a deal that includes a $13 million club option for 2007.

"I've never had an organization come to me and say, `Eventually, we're going to take care of you,"' Sheffield said. "I've never had anyone say, `I'm going to take care of you.' Why shouldn't I be happy? That's a first for me in 17 years."

Yankees owner George Steinbrenner left the matter in "Cashman's hands."

Sheffield, during his initial media session, said he would move on if things didn't work out.

"I don't want anybody to take my kindness as a weakness," Sheffield said. "Like I said before, this is where I want to be, but don't test me. It never was a done deal. It was a possibility. I'm happy about that. But there's two sides to that. On one side, I trust you, but don't play me. I don't care who it is, if it's the Boss, if it's him, don't play me. There are plenty of other teams out there that want my services ... that's the bottom line."

Sheffield has been at times uneasy in the past during the final seasons of contracts.

"This is how it happened in L.A.," he said "They wanted to sign me to an extension. I didn't go to them, but when I didn't want to go through with it, I'm the bad guy, the greedy guy. In a war of words, like with the Dodgers, nobody wins. I'm not going there anymore. Just tear up the whole damn contract, send me somewhere else, do whatever you want. It doesn't matter. I'm sick of it."

There is no timetable for when the option might be picked up.

"When it's done, that's the right time," Sheffield said. "When it happens, I'm sure it will catch me off-guard and I'll be happy. And if it doesn't happen, I'll have to do what I have to do. I just want to put on the uniform and do what I do. It's the fans that make me play the way I play. When I get the energy out of right field, especially in the Yankees uniform, those fans make me do what I do. I couldn't have played with one arm in Colorado. You can't motivate me enough to do that. Only the Yankees fans bring that out of me."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Am8YIiC36SFQ.Kj__Y5g5.MRvLYF?slug=ap-yankees-sheffield&prov=ap&type=lgns

RFS62
02-25-2006, 04:47 PM
I think he needs to start mailing it in again like he did to get out of Milwaukee. That shouldn't cause many problems in the big Apple.

bianchiveloce
02-26-2006, 01:53 AM
February 24, 2006
Sheffield's option hot topic again

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) --
"I don't want anybody to take my kindness as a weakness," Sheffield said. "Like I said before, this is where I want to be, but don't test me. It never was a done deal. It was a possibility. I'm happy about that. But there's two sides to that. On one side, I trust you, but don't play me. I don't care who it is, if it's the Boss, if it's him, don't play me. There are plenty of other teams out there that want my services ... that's the bottom line."

Sheffield has been at times uneasy in the past during the final seasons of contracts.

"This is how it happened in L.A.," he said "They wanted to sign me to an extension. I didn't go to them, but when I didn't want to go through with it, I'm the bad guy, the greedy guy. In a war of words, like with the Dodgers, nobody wins. I'm not going there anymore. Just tear up the whole damn contract, send me somewhere else, do whatever you want. It doesn't matter. I'm sick of it."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Am8YIiC36SFQ.Kj__Y5g5.MRvLYF?slug=ap-yankees-sheffield&prov=ap&type=lgns

Waaah! Waaah! Waaah! :runawaycr Such a cry baby that Sheffield. He kinda brings to mind that song from The Coasters:

Charlie Brown

Fe-fe, fi-fi, fo-fo, fum
I smell smoke in the auditorium

Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown
He's a clown, that Charlie Brown
He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see
(Why's everybody always pickin' on me)

That's him on his knees
I know that's him
Yeah, from 7 come 11
Down in the boys' gym

He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see

Who's always writing on the wall
Who's always goofing in the hall
Who's always throwing spit balls
Guess who (who, me) yeah, you

Who walks in the classroom, cool and slow
Who calls the English teacher, Daddy-O

He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see

[Instrumental Interlude]

Who walks in the classroom, cool and slow
Who calls the English teacher, Daddy-O

He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see

pedro
02-26-2006, 02:33 AM
He acts like he is 2 years old IMO.

TeamBoone
02-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Feb. 26, 2006, 5:01 PM ET
Sheffield has back spasms; Pavano headed to DL?Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees starter Carl Pavano's sore back could land him on the disabled list to start the season.

"I'm not banking on him Opening Day,'' Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "There's no rush even right there to have him ready Opening Day. The thing I think is important is he probably feels better than he did anytime last year."

Pavano missed the second half of last season because of a shoulder injury and finished 4-6 with a 4.77 ERA in 17 starts. His back has bothered him since spring training last year.

"It's progressing," Pavano said. "It feels a lot better. I want to make sure there's no setbacks after what I went through last year."

Right fielder Gary Sheffield is also having back problems. He didn't work out Sunday because of back spasms.

Sheffield is not expected to miss more than a couple days. The back flared up after he took extra batting practice on Saturday.

"I took more swings than usual," Sheffield said. "I've had this before. This is what you get when you overdo it too early. It's just real tight. It will be fine."

Likely Opening Day starter Randy Johnson threw 68 pitches in his second batting practice session, breaking the bat of new center fielder Johnny Damon.

"I'm throwing everything that I throw right now," Johnson said. "The more I throw it, the more effective it will be. I feel like I'm in pretty good shape."

Johnson could make his spring training debut Friday or Saturday.

Torre has been impressed with left-hander Al Leiter, who opted not to retire during the offseason and is in camp as a non-roster player.

"What I've seen so far, I like him," Torre said. "When you look at it, there's no room. But if somebody makes a case, you've got to figure something out. That's the way I look at it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2345946

KronoRed
02-26-2006, 05:47 PM
He acts like he is 2 years old IMO.
Always has, this more then anything will kill his HOF chances.