PDA

View Full Version : New rules for interviewing Bonds (2/25)

TeamBoone
02-25-2006, 04:56 PM
February 25, 2006
New rules for interviewing Bonds

Associated Press

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Media members must sign a release waiver to conduct one-on-one interviews with Barry Bonds but not for interviews in normal group settings, the producer of his reality TV show told the San Francisco Giants.
Bonds told reporters Friday that he wouldn't conduct interviews with media members until they sign the release allowing footage of them to be shown on his upcoming show on ESPN.

Producer Mike Tollin told the team that would apply only to one-on-one interviews, team spokesman Jim Moorehead said Saturday.

After taking batting practice for a fourth straight day Saturday, Bonds declined to comment on his status but said it had nothing to do with reporters not signing the waivers. He said he had nothing new to report and indicated he would talk at some undetermined later date.

ESPN Original Entertainment is working with Bonds for a behind-the-scenes look at his quest for baseball's all-time home-run record. ESPN said Friday its reporters would not sign the waiver.

Bonds has 708 career home runs, seven shy of passing Babe Ruth for second place and 48 away from breaking Hank Aaron's record.

Bonds played only 14 games last season after three operations on his right knee. Bonds has taken batting practice every day since joining the team this spring, but still has not done full running or agility workouts with his teammates.

The Giants would like to be able to use Bonds as a designated hitter this spring, even in home games played under National League rules. To do that, they will need permission from the opposition, and manager Felipe Alou said it's important for Bonds to play left field this spring.

"It is good to do that, but sooner or later Barry is going to play in the field," Alou said. "Because on opening day, what will we do? ... It's not like it's going to be every game he's DH. For us as a team, it can't be that way."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=66144

westofyou
02-25-2006, 04:59 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4798

Who are these writers agitating for Barry Bonds to retire and what the hell is wrong with them? Why would they want someone who has figured out the game the way he has to depart from it? Because he's surly? Who gives a rat's ass? When a fan is sitting in the upper deck, what do they care have whether or not a player answers questions politely? They want the big show; the grand gesture. They want the long fly. Think about this: would you rather see a ballplayer hit a home run or would you rather read a pithy remark he made?

Here's an idea for the writers: leave Bonds alone. Don't go near him. Don't ask him questions about his future (it's obvious, isn't it: if he can play next year he will--end of story), don't ask him about anything. If getting him to answer questions is a pain, stop asking him. I don't need to see that wish-I-were-anywhere-else-but-here look he gets when surrounded by reporters ever again, do you? I will miss watching him hit, though. So, just don't talk to him in 2006. Let's just watch him play instead.

harangatang
02-25-2006, 05:07 PM
The problem with Barry Bonds is that he is not mature enough to deal with the situation of being famous. Every famous person deals with and some deal with it differently. Instead he blames all his problems on the media like a 12-year-old little girl. If he really truly hates the media he should retire and go into seclusion.

TeamBoone
02-25-2006, 05:17 PM
I think it would be hysterically funny if the media actually did leave him alone for a month or two. Do you think he'd be happy? I highly doubt it; he'd no longer be the center of attention. Whether negative or positive, he revels in it... I don't care what he says to the contrary.

Sometimes one needs to be careful what one wishes for... it just might come true.

James B.
02-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Next, Bonds will demand a stool sample and a full body cavity search for an interview.:laugh:

KronoRed
02-25-2006, 07:53 PM
I think it would be hysterically funny if the media actually did leave him alone for a month or two. Do you think he'd be happy? I highly doubt it; he'd no longer be the center of attention. Whether negative or positive, he revels in it... I don't care what he says to the contrary.

Sometimes one needs to be careful what one wishes for... it just might come true.
He'd probably call an interview session to say they were picking on him

bianchiveloce
02-26-2006, 01:29 AM
February 25, 2006
Associated Press

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. --
The Giants would like to be able to use Bonds as a designated hitter this spring, even in home games played under National League rules. To do that, they will need permission from the opposition, and manager Felipe Alou said it's important for Bonds to play left field this spring.

"It is good to do that, but sooner or later Barry is going to play in the field," Alou said. "Because on opening day, what will we do? ... It's not like it's going to be every game he's DH. For us as a team, it can't be that way."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=66144

Please, please, please somebody tell me that Felipe Alou is joking. I hope Alou is being quoted out of context and didn't really suggest asking the visiting team allow them to use Bonds as a DH. That is about the craziest thing I've heard in baseball since the American League started using the DH.

Jpup
02-26-2006, 05:00 AM
Please, please, please somebody tell me that Felipe Alou is joking. I hope Alou is being quoted out of context and didn't really suggest asking the visiting team allow them to use Bonds as a DH. That is about the craziest thing I've heard in baseball since the American League started using the DH.

what's so crazy about it? it happens all the time.

savafan
02-26-2006, 06:08 AM

That would probably make Barry's kids cry.

Chip R
02-26-2006, 06:37 AM

It happened last year with Jr.

redsmetz
02-26-2006, 06:51 AM

We did that with Junior a few years ago on one of his returns. As I recall, one NL team balked during Spring Training. I think Alou also said clearly playing the field couldn't be avoided given that there's no DH in the NL (thank goodness!).

bianchiveloce
02-26-2006, 11:48 AM
what's so crazy about it? it happens all the time.

Holy Mackral! Did I goof in reading that article this morning. I thought it meant Felipe Alou would ask for permission to use the DH in the regular season. In Spring Training games, it wouldn't matter. Thanks for correcting me, folks.

MartyFan
02-26-2006, 12:15 PM
I hope nobody watches the show.
I hope he falls four or five HR's short of the record.
He is an @$$