PDA

View Full Version : Did Pedro Astacio ever sign anywhere?

balk
02-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Are the Reds still talking to him?

brad
02-26-2006, 03:08 PM
I thought that one of the Cincy newspapers reported Saturday that the Reds were still talking with him and that he had not signed anywhere yet.

BEETTLEBUG
02-26-2006, 03:39 PM
I don't think he has signed yet but I saw that JIMBO will try real hard now that he has lost Lawerence for I don't know how long. Glad me didn't go after him.

TeamBoone
02-26-2006, 05:38 PM
There's something about this on ESPN.com but it's an "In" article, so I can't get to it.

Red Hot Mama
02-26-2006, 09:19 PM
There's something about this on ESPN.com but it's an "In" article, so I can't get to it.It's dated Friday and says:

Astacio still talking with Nats
Feb 24 - The Nationals and right-hander Pedro Astacio remain far apart in contract negotiations, The Washington Times reports. The Nats offered Astacio a non-guaranteed, minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.

"We're negotiating with his agent, we're still far apart," GM Jim Bowden told the newspaper. "We're going to continue negotiating."

The Nationals and Padres appear to be the only clubs interested in the 36-year-old Astacio. Don't tell them I told you. They might kick me out of my brother's insider account.

TeamBoone
02-26-2006, 11:09 PM
02/26/2006 9:00 PM ET
Notes: Reds in hunt for Astacio
Veteran pitcher working out in Dominican Republic
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Continuing their attempts to improve pitching depth, the Reds still believed they were in the hunt to sign free agent Pedro Astacio.
"It's still ongoing. There's still some dialogue," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "Just like the other clubs that are probably interested in him, they'd like to have him as soon as possible. I do know he's throwing in the Dominican [Republic] and getting his work in."

Besides the Reds, Astacio has been courted by the Nationals, Rockies and Padres. Washington is believed to be a long shot since it offered the right-hander a Minor League contract last week.

Astacio, 36, was 6-10 with a 4.69 ERA in 24 games last season for the Rangers and Padres while earning $800,000. Because he was not offered a contract this winter, he is not allowed to re-sign with San Diego until May 1.

Phone messages for the pitcher's agent, Stephen Schneider, were not returned.

Because of the late timetable, it seems likely Astacio would need to accept a team's offer in the next few days.

"He has to get into a camp as soon as possible," Krivsky said. "He needs to start and he needs to get his innings in game situations. The games start this week."

The Reds' first exhibition game is Thursday against the Tigers.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060226&content_id=1324303&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Strikes Out Looking
02-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Today's Washington Post reports that the Nationals won't be signing Astacio and that it is down to the Reds and the Padraes. If he returns to SD, he can't do it until May 1, so there may be no hurry from his viewpoint.

KearnsyEars
02-27-2006, 08:42 AM
I'd welcome him with open arms.

registerthis
02-27-2006, 10:01 AM
The biggest question with Astacio is durability. He hasn't pitched more than 130 innings since 2002. When he pitched last year, he was serviceable. Good GB/FB ratio, and a respectable 17 HRs allowed in 127.2 innings (albeit pitching in pitchers parks for most of the season.) His 5.54 K/9 isn't mind-blowing but would sit comfortably in the middle of the Reds rotation.

In other words, he isn't going to do much to improve the rotation, he's more of the same filler the reds have gotten used to over the years. But he could be serviceable; better, perhaps, than Wilson.

And, BTW, does anyone else think that the Reds' pursuit of Astacio may be a sign that they don't think Wilson is going to be able to pitch effectively--if at all--this year?

Heath
02-27-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm skimming this and Marc_Lancaster is here as well - one wonders if somethings goings ons.

I prefer a minor league deal with major, and I mean MAJOR incentives.

BEETTLEBUG
02-27-2006, 10:51 AM
I don't think he would take Minor contract cause Jimbo offered that. I think it will take Major contract but who would get cut or could Wilson be put on 60 day DL to use his spot on 40 man roster?

Heath
02-27-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't think he would take Minor contract cause Jimbo offered that. I think it will take Major contract but who would get cut or could Wilson be put on 60 day DL to use his spot on 40 man roster?

I'd replace Astacio with Womack. Or Aurilia.

Strikes Out Looking
02-27-2006, 11:23 AM
I'd replace a corpse with Womack. Or even Brandon Larson...

TeamBoone
02-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Monday, February 27, 2006

ASTACIO UPDATE: The Reds continue to talk to right-hander Pedro Astacio.

General manager Wayne Krivsky would not say whether the Reds had offered Astacio a major-league contract.

Astacio went 4-2 with a 3.17 ERA for San Diego last year after going 2-8 with a 6.04 ERA with Texas.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/SPT04/602270370/1071

timmario66
02-27-2006, 03:11 PM
According to Marc's blog, the Reds are out:

SARASOTA -- The Reds apparently are out of the hunt for Pedro Astacio. Haven't talked to Krivsky, so I don't know which side broke it off.

From the report in the "other" Post today, it sounded like the Nationals got fed up with Astacio's contract demands and bailed, despite their now even more urgent need for starting pitching.

Krivsky said yesterday that he didn't plan to move off the contract framework he already had offered (which he didn't specify), so I imagine the Reds' elimination from the picture came down in similar fashion.

Not sure where this leaves Astacio -- back to San Diego on a minor league deal? -- but that's not my problem anymore, I suppose.

KronoRed
02-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Good to hear, he wouldn't have helped.

flyer85
02-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Good to hear, he wouldn't have helped.now if the Reds can figure out how to get rid of Woemack they will at least have some positive momentum.

BEETTLEBUG
02-27-2006, 04:16 PM
How about Milton to Nationals since JIMBO is looking for a thrower. What would he give up?

registerthis
02-27-2006, 04:26 PM
How about Milton to Nationals since JIMBO is looking for a thrower. What would he give up?

The Reds would have to eat the bulk of Milton's contract, and I don't see them doing that.

RFK would be as good a fit for Milton as any park, though.

TeamBoone
02-27-2006, 04:35 PM
now if the Reds can figure out how to get rid of Woemack they will at least have some positive momentum.

Freudian slip? :p:

Raisor
02-27-2006, 04:45 PM

The more of the contract the Reds would eat, the better the prospect the Nats should give up.

Me personally, I'd pay 90% of the contract and take a toaster oven in return for Milton, just to get rid of him.

Sunk cost.