PDA

View Full Version : Koby cranks Rocket; Rocket brushes back Koby

realreds1
02-27-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm not sure what to make of this article. Would you -- if facing your son -- even come close to high-and-tight with your fastball?

You lot give this a go...

Clemens brushes back son after giving up HR
43-year-old pitches to Astros minor-leaguers, still hasn't said if he'll return

The Associated Press
Updated: 5:23 p.m. ET Feb. 27, 2006

KISSIMMEE, Fla. - Roger Clemens’ son took dad deep on the Rocket’s first pitch of spring training, crushing a trademark fastball over the left-field fence Monday.

“That was probably one of the harder fastballs I cut loose,” Roger Clemens said after throwing to Koby and other Houston Astros minor-leaguers. “He got my attention.”

Then the Rocket got Koby’s. The next time his oldest son came to the plate, Roger buzzed him high and tight with another fastball. The younger Clemens dodged the pitch, then smiled at his father.

“He was like, ‘Sorry about that pitch inside. I was trying to change the view of the ball for you a little bit,’” said Koby, a third baseman who was drafted by Houston last summer. “I said, ‘I knew what you were doing.’ ”

Clemens, 43, got applause from about 100 fans as he walked to the mound behind the Astros’ minor-league complex. He threw 18 pitches from behind a screen before his 19-year-old son’s homer on his first pitch after the screen was moved away.

“I’m getting old,” Clemens said. “It happens.”

Clemens threw a total of 66 pitches to Astros’ minor-leaguers in preparation for the World Baseball Classic, then said he’s no closer to deciding his future beyond the event. Baseball officials approved the appearance.

Clemens led the major leagues with a 1.87 ERA last season and became a free agent when the NL champions didn’t offer him salary arbitration. He has said he’ll decide after the tournament whether he’ll play a 23rd season.

“If you asked me today, I’m doing the world baseball deal and (then) I’m going to go watch baseball,” Clemens said.

But asked if he was retiring, Clemens shied away.

“I’m not even going to mention that word,” Clemens said. “I’ve been trying to do that for a couple of years now and it’s not working.”

Clemens can’t re-sign with the Astros until May 1. But he could sign with another team before that and Boston, the New York Yankees and Texas have told Clemens they’re interested.

Clemens said he might put off a decision until midsummer.

“I don’t know what will happen down the road,” he said. “I might be sitting around in May, June, July and all of a sudden, I’m looking at three or four teams that came down to talk to me already and gave me their pitch.”

Koby Clemens said his dad was ready to retire in December, but his family talked him out of it.

“We were all like, ‘You should wait and allow yourself to rest your body,’ ” Koby said. “He was still kind of hurting, kind of tired. He was like, ‘I don’t want to do this again.’ ”

Many of the Astros expect Clemens to play for them again this season. Manager Phil Garner said Sunday he hasn’t asked Clemens about what he’ll do, but thought the Astros offered the best situation — a shortened season close to his family and his home.

“He knows how much we would like to have him back,” Garner said. “I think this is the perfect spot for him.”

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

© 2006 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11579036/from/RS.4/

StillFunkyB
02-27-2006, 11:49 PM
It's Roger Clemens. If I were him, I absoloutely would throw some chin music on the next pitch to my son.

Right now, being me, I wouldn't because I'm not Roger Clemens.

TOBTTReds
02-28-2006, 12:17 AM
One of my fondest memories of taking BP vs. my dad who was my coach is that he accidentally hit me with a bad curve ball. I pointed to mound (calling my shot) and on the next pitch, I hit him in the hip with a line drive. Probably a coincidence, but very funny.

SirFelixCat
02-28-2006, 02:44 AM
Damn right I would. Roger is the utmost in professionalism and of being ultra-competitive. IMO, he should not change the way he pitches/plays the game, just because it's his son. His son is a professional baseball player on the field. Off the field, he is Rocket's son, imo.

cincinnati chili
02-28-2006, 06:14 AM
It's all fun and games until somebody loses a chin.

Blimpie
02-28-2006, 08:29 AM
The buzz around here is that Koby might eventually be assigned to the Lexington Legends. (Astros single A affiliate from the South Atlantic League). I look forward to doing some advanced scouting on the boy if that ever materializes...

StillFunkyB
02-28-2006, 08:44 AM
It's all fun and games until somebody loses a chin.

I also doubt it was as close as the article makes it sound.

Sea Ray
02-28-2006, 09:09 AM
I also doubt it was as close as the article makes it sound.

They showed it on SportsCenter last night. Angle was strange like maybe from the on deck circle in back of him but it didn't cause him to hit the deck. It was simply chin music. I think the key here is control. Rocket's got to have a lot of confidence that his chin music doesn't become a head on beaning. His son also said that he's been hitting off his Dad forever and it wasn't anything he hadn't seen before

KearnsyEars
02-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Publicity stunt. Good thing Koby did his part and hit the ball outta the park. But what better way to jumpstart sonny's career then to play it all out like they did and get a national article out of it.

Chip R
02-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Publicity stunt. Good thing Koby did his part and hit the ball outta the park. But what better way to jumpstart sonny's career then to play it all out like they did and get a national article out of it.

I agree. Made Koby look good and Roger had to brush him back to keep his rep.

TOBTTReds
02-28-2006, 12:18 PM
This kid should be real good one day. He has been hitting off of one of the best pitchers and hardest throwers ever for his entire life. I could see Clemens throwing 80 mph to Koby when he was 10 and expecting him to hit it. Everyone else is gonna look like Paul Wilson.:help:

savafan
02-28-2006, 10:53 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/matthew_waxman/05/27/daily.blog/

What interests me about Clemens is his puzzling character. He seems to be a devoted father more interested in watching his sons play ball than his teammates, which I see as sound judgment. I won't read too much into the story his wife, Debbie, told about how when she was preggers and taking BP from her husband, she sprayed a line drive off his leg and on the next pitch he beaned her. In his defense, her belly was hanging over the plate.

:eek: