PDA

View Full Version : McCoy on Dunn at First

redsmetz
02-28-2006, 07:06 AM
From the Tuesday, 2/28/06 edition of the Dayton Daily News, Hal McCoy writes about Dunn's adjustment to 1st base. Care to bet how many times TV cameras get a shot at his Texas Longhorn logo on his shoes' tongue?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0228dunnweb.html

Reds Nd2
02-28-2006, 07:18 AM
....and walked 100 times for the third straight season...

Dunn hasn't taken 100 walks for three seasons straight. He only had 74 free passes in '03.

pedro
02-28-2006, 07:42 AM
How about that. Remember when Dunn was goign to sign with Houston because he didn't want to play first? I do. Good times. ;)

KittyDuran
02-28-2006, 07:43 AM
Dunn settling in at first base
Slugger says, 'I feel good over there' but still has a lot to learn
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

SARASOTA, Fla. Adam Dunn took a long butcher's knife and sliced the tape across the top of a brown cardboard box, excited because he knew what was inside.

"I'm going conservative this year," he said, pulling a pair of calf-high baseball spikes from the box containing a dozen pairs.

The spikes are black with three white Adidas stripes trimmed in red and '44' on the back, his uniform number. There is an extra touch, tucked away so that it is difficult to see. On the tongue, is a small University of Texas Longhorns logo.

You can take the man out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the man and the Longhorns are never more than a sentence or two away from the 6-6, 275-pound Texan who accepted a scholarship to play quarterback at UT before opting for baseball and the Cincinnati Reds.

Somebody thought the box might contain first baseman's mitts since Dunn is transferring his body from left field to first base.

Not so.

Dunn was ready. He pulled a well-worn black first baseman's glove out of his locker, complete with his name and number stitched on it.

"Had it since I made the bigs, just in case," he said. "When Sean Casey got hurt in '02 I played there regularly. "Before that, I'd never much played there, not even in high school. I pitched and played the outfield."

Every day now, he is on the bag snagging ground ball and snatching low throws out of the dirt.

Hitting coach Chris Chambliss, a first baseman during his illustrious major-league career, pounds grounder after grounder at Dunn.

"He has good hands, has no trouble making the plays and catching the ball at first," said Chambliss. "The biggest thing is his footwork. But anybody who played quarterback at his level has to have good footwork.

"You have no time to think about your footwork," Chambliss added. "You have to anticipate quickly. If you're late with the footwork, try to get it after the play is halfway over, it's too late. But he is working on it."

Said Dunn, "I feel good over there but there is a lot of little stupid stuff I have to learn. We'll get it, we'll get it done."

Like it?

"Oh, yeah, but I don't get to look around in the stands as much and talk to the fans," he said. "It's something. I won't be talking to baserunners as much as Sean Casey did. That's impossible."

Offensively, after a year in which he drove in 100 runs, scored 100 runs and walked 100 times for the third straight season, Dunn wants to tweak his approach.

He doesn't want to lose his control of the strike zone that gets him 100 walks a year, but he wants to do a better job of being aggressive on good pitches to hit indeed, a fine line.

"I need to be more aggressive early, not let myself get down in the count," he said. "I need to make good contact with my pitch, not foul it off or miss it. I did that too many times last year. When I get my pitch, don't miss it."

He didn't miss many during batting practice Monday. Of course, he was facing soft tosses from coach Bucky Dent. Dunn, Ken Griffey Jr. and Austin Kearns lost a couple of dozen baseballs over the fence.

Ryan Freel stood off to the side and said, "Those guys are good. I'm just watching the show."

TeamBoone
02-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Dunn was ready. He pulled a well-worn black first baseman's glove out of his locker, complete with his name and number stitched on it.

"Had it since I made the bigs, just in case," he said. "When Sean Casey got hurt in '02 I played there regularly. "Before that, I'd never much played there, not even in high school. I pitched and played the outfield."

Why has it always been reported in the past that he played first base in highschool? Unless Hal got the quote wrong.

Dunn hasn't taken 100 walks for three seasons straight. He only had 74 free passes in '03.

You're right; Hal's wrong. It's common knowledge that he's accomplished it the past two seasons... first time in a long time for a Reds player. If we all know that off the top of our heads, I'm surprised that Hal didn't.

Chip R
02-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Why has it always been reported in the past that he played first base in highschool? Unless Hal got the quote wrong.

You're right; Hal's wrong. It's common knowledge that he done it the past two seasons... first time in a long time for a Reds player. If we all know that off the top of our heads, I'm surprised that Hal didn't.

Uh, yeah. I'm really surprised Hal didn't know that. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to write an e-mail to Reds GM Jim Beattie. :p:

TeamBoone
02-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Uh, yeah. I'm really surprised Hal didn't know that. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to write an e-mail to Reds GM Jim Beattie. :p:

:D

Red Leader
02-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Jim Beattie isn't the GM of the Reds, it's Wa..it a minute. I get it. ;)

KearnsyEars
02-28-2006, 11:54 AM
"I need to be more aggressive early, not let myself get down in the count," he said. "I need to make good contact with my pitch, not foul it off or miss it. I did that too many times last year. When I get my pitch, don't miss it."

Oh how I've wanted to see that since 2002.

Sea Ray
02-28-2006, 11:56 AM
E-mail Hal. see if he acknowledges the error. My bet is he'll blame it on his editor or call it a typo.

registerthis
02-28-2006, 12:05 PM
E-mail Hal. see if he acknowledges the error. My bet is he'll blame it on his editor or call it a typo.

Like a certain headline that he didn't write? :rolleyes:

redsmetz
02-28-2006, 12:26 PM

You are correct, but he walked 128 times in 2002 - and has averaged over 100 walks the last four years. I don't think I'll quibble over that slight faux pas.

Steve4192
02-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Nah. He'll blame it on an unnamed source outside the organization.

Sea Ray
02-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Like a certain headline that he didn't write?

I've complained to him for years about inaccuracies and his response is generally predictable.

The headline you refer to is another example. The erroneous headline still stands uncorrected despite his assurances that it was. It shows how Hal and his paper are not concerned with being accurate. They're into passing the buck and forgetting about yesterday's column so they can make today's deadline.

To give you another example, a year or so ago I wrote him about his erroneous reporting that Chris Gruler had TJ surgery. This also was never corrected and that kind of error can effect that kid's chances of being picked up by another team in the future.

It's one thing to make an error, it's another when the error is not acknowledged or corrected. In my business if someone told a customer, "oh that was someone else who did that" and didn't correct the error, he/she would be fired.

registerthis
02-28-2006, 12:56 PM
I know, I know. I share your frustration.

I would continue emailing him daily about the still-uncorrected headline. A true journalistic travesty, that is.

Hubba
02-28-2006, 01:23 PM
I've complained to him for years about inaccuracies and his response is generally predictable.

The headline you refer to is another example. The erroneous headline still stands uncorrected despite his assurances that it was. It shows how Hal and his paper are not concerned with being accurate. They're into passing the buck and forgetting about yesterday's column so they can make today's deadline.

To give you another example, a year or so ago I wrote him about his erroneous reporting that Chris Gruler had TJ surgery. This also was never corrected and that kind of error can effect that kid's chances of being picked up by another team in the future.

It's one thing to make an error, it's another when the error is not acknowledged or corrected. In my business if someone told a customer, "oh that was someone else who did that" and didn't correct the error, he/she would be fired.
You have got too get a life.:explode:

westofyou
02-28-2006, 01:27 PM
It's one thing to make an error, it's another when the error is not acknowledged or corrected.
"It puts the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again."

CincyRedsFan30
02-28-2006, 01:36 PM
This also was never corrected and that kind of error can effect that kid's chances of being picked up by another team in the future.

I find it somewhat ironic that the sentence which mentions making corrections and talks about errors goes on to demonstrate that point quite well just after saying those particular things. ;)

Sea Ray
02-28-2006, 01:39 PM
You have got too get a life.

It's not about me. It's about being accurate in the media. If you can't trust what you read then you're wasting your time reading that paper.

The fact that such inaccuracies don't bother you says something about you:eek:

Sea Ray
02-28-2006, 01:45 PM
I find it somewhat ironic that the sentence which mentions making corrections and talks about errors goes on to demonstrate that point quite well just after saying those particular things. ;)

:confused:

Yes effect the kid's career as in this definition according to Webster's:

5 : power to bring about a result : INFLUENCE

Chip R
02-28-2006, 01:48 PM
All right, folks. Take it to English class.

KronoRed
02-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Care to bet how many times TV cameras get a shot at his Texas Longhorn logo on his shoes' tongue?

So we're in Danger of him going back to school? :help:

CincyRedsFan30
02-28-2006, 02:06 PM
:confused:

Yes effect the kid's career as in this definition according to Webster's:

5 : power to bring about a result : INFLUENCE

Effect vs Affect:

Sigh. This confusion shows up a lot on student papers and on the Internet.

The simplest way into the issue is, If you're going to do it, use "Affect." If it's something already done, use "effect."

Hmmmm...that doesn't look too simple after all.

How about:

"I can affect the effect." repeated aloud seven thousand and twenty four times while standing in the shower listening to a repetitious hip-hop song.

That will solve most of the problem because, you see, most often, "affect" is a verb--doing it--, and "effect" is the noun--the thing that resulted.

http://www.wonderfulwritingskillsunhandbook.com/html/affect_vs_effect.html

scounts22
02-28-2006, 02:22 PM
I am currently grading 80 7th grade research reports...as we were drafting I told the kids to remember it this way:

Affect is an action. A = action
Effect is a noun.

Ex/ That hot dog didn't affect me in a good way.
That hot dog had a horrible effect on me.

I don't know if that helps or not. For some reason it sticks in my head.

tsj017
02-28-2006, 02:25 PM

THWAP!

:laugh: :laugh:

Hubba
02-28-2006, 07:38 PM
It's not about me. It's about being accurate in the media. If you can't trust what you read then you're wasting your time reading that paper.

The fact that such inaccuracies don't bother you says something about you:eek:
Yes it does it means that I forgave and moved on.:mooner:

KittyDuran
02-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Personally, I'll overlook the faux pas... because the rest of the story is very good. :)

TeamBoone
02-28-2006, 09:52 PM

The problem is that Hal's mistakes are coming more and more often, to the point where I sometimes wonder if I can rely on what he says.

Either he doesn't proof his work, guesses at stats, misquotes, doesn't check his sources out.... or he's just flat out losing it.

In other words, they're becoming harder to forgive.

wheels
02-28-2006, 10:32 PM
While we all agree that Hal makes mistakes in his columns more and more frequently, I still contend that he's a more ENJOYABLE read than John Fay or that new cat on MLB.com.

John Fay bores me to tears, Hal makes me laugh.

I'll take laughing every time.

Reds Nd2
02-28-2006, 11:01 PM
You are correct, but he walked 128 times in 2002 - and has averaged over 100 walks the last four years. I don't think I'll quibble over that slight faux pas.

Slight faux pas? I don't think so.

We all know that Hal has a problem getting the facts straight. If the Daily News is gonna' keep him on the payroll, they need to get some decent fact checkers to proof read what he pens his Hancock to. Sea Ray does have a point.

Playing that loose and fast with facts, would get just hammered here on RedsZone and for good reason. I'm not sure why it's so easily excused elsewhere.

Reds Nd2
02-28-2006, 11:07 PM
While we all agree that Hal makes mistakes in his columns more and more frequently, I still contend that he's a more ENJOYABLE read than John Fay or that new cat on MLB.com.

PentHouse Forums is an enjoyable read too. Doesn't mean I want to rely on it for news about the Reds.

wheels
02-28-2006, 11:24 PM
PentHouse Forums is an enjoyable read too. Doesn't mean I want to rely on it for news about the Reds.

I do understand your position, I really do.

But at this point in my life, I've all but given up on the notion that I should rely on the baseball print media in general for real news.

Was the whole headline debacle a black eye for the DDN?

Yup, but it doesn't mean that I get less pleasure from reading Hal's stuff.

Should Hal and Company be held resposible for not getting the facts straight?

Dern tootin'.

I'm just not gonna be the one that gets riled up over it.

The Andy Furmans of the world cheese me off to no end because of their blatant sensationalism, and Marty ticks me off from time to time because of his arrogance, but Hal McCoy is neither sensationalist or arrogant by nature.

In other words, I've got more dastardly fish to fry.

forfreelin04
03-01-2006, 12:03 AM
Hal is a great guy. I don't if any of you have met him. But he gave a wonderful speech at the Springfield Baseball Hall of Fame inductions three years ago. He confessed to the audience that he nearly retired a few years ago because his vison was so impaired and he could no longer do the things he used to do like watching the game from the pressbox and driving to work. He was afraid to ask for the necessary help to keep him at his usual pace so he was deadset on retirement. After being encouraged to continue by Reds Players especially Aaron Boone. Mccoy changed his opinion and just worked harder and became more patient with having to be aided in his work.
I'm not using this as an excuse for people to change their minds about some of the falsities in his journalism, but what I am saying is give him a break.

Beattie wasn't the GM. Hal got false or misleading information. Many of you felt Beattie was going to be the gm too! Hal's dilemma lies in whether or not a tip is worth of print or bologna. In this case it was bologna, but Hal would not have printed it if he didn't have strong evidence. I think he has earned the right to not make a written apology. Now if you still think YOU or those Fans Like YOU deserve one. Maybe you should find a woman or a dog or something. There are bigger fish to fry than Chris Gruler and surgery. I'm sure even Chris Gruler wasn't upset. Heck, he got his name in the paper.

Chip R
03-01-2006, 02:07 AM

John Fay bores me to tears, Hal makes me laugh.

I'll take laughing every time.

You're right, wheels. He's more entertaining than Fay or the new guy on MLB.com. But since I don't have access to the locker room nor do I have the time to check every stat or every fact that is printed I have to rely on the writers to print factual information. Just as I rely on the radio broadcasters to tell me what is going on on the field since I can't see it myself. I don't think they should fire Hal for his ongoing inaccuracies but perhaps they should shift him over to writing columns 2-3 times a week. It's less important to be factual in a column than it is in a game story or a a regular story. In a column Hal can say, "Adam Dunn and Wily Mo Pena struck out a million times last year" and the readers know that isn't true but they don't care cause it's just a column and hyperbole is a column's stock and trade.

Sea Ray
03-01-2006, 12:16 PM

Classy post. It reflects well on you.

Just because I mention that Hal's mistakes are becoming more and more numerous doesn't mean that I haven't moved on. It's just stating facts. This board often deteriorates into a member vs member slamfest where we climb all over each other regarding the use of the word "effect". It's not about us, folks! It's about the Reds or in this case about a Reds sportswriter.

Those of you who have remembered that (Chip, Nd2, Wheels, TeamBoone, et al) make this forum worthwhile:)

Sea Ray
03-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Hal is a great guy.

I think he has earned the right to not make a written apology. Now if you still think YOU or those Fans Like YOU deserve one. Maybe you should find a woman or a dog or something. There are bigger fish to fry than Chris Gruler and surgery. I'm sure even Chris Gruler wasn't upset. Heck, he got his name in the paper.

Hal is a great guy who's going through stuff with his vision I wouldn't wish on anyone. Hal set the record straight on the Beattie debacle. I'm not looking for any apologies from him, but don't you think when he writes false facts he should correct them in future columns? He has shown a reluctance to do so.

Right now there are false facts in the media regarding Vince Young's test scores. These headlines should not be allowed to stand. Same thing...

registerthis
03-01-2006, 12:44 PM
I sent three emails yesterday to the DDN and Hal inquiring as to why the misleading headline is still showing up. Strangely, I have received no response. These sleepless nights will just have to continue until I can correct this egregious error and the world once again resumes spinning on its axis.

scounts22
03-01-2006, 12:51 PM
I totally remembered what this thread was about. I was just trying to...:help: :D