PDA

View Full Version : Narron is ready to hop on the bus (2/28)

TeamBoone
02-28-2006, 02:05 PM
2/28/06
Reds Notes -- Narron is ready to hop on the bus
Hal McCoy

SARASOTA, Fla. — One of the many reasons manager Jerry Narron is beloved by his Cincinnati Reds players is he is willing to take a two-hour bus ride when he legitimately could stay for a spring exhibition game at home.

The Reds play split-squad games on Friday, one at home against Detroit and one in Fort Myers against Minnesota. Narron could stay in Sarasota for the home game, as most managers would, or he could take the 1-hour, 45-minute bus ride down I-75.

Where is he going?

“I’m going to Fort Myers,” he said. “The manager should go to the farthest place the team plays that day. I don’t think it’s fair to ask our everyday players to make a trip and the manager doesn’t make it.”

There are split-squad games March 18, both on the road — one at Bradenton against Pittsburgh, about 30 minutes away; one at Orlando against Atlanta, about 2 12 hours away.

Narron is, of course, going to Orlando.

“I had a manager once who scheduled a ‘B’ game on the day of a long trip, just so he wouldn’t have to make the trip,” Narron said. “That’s not right.”

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2006/02/27/hjn022806redsnotes_web.html