PDA

View Full Version : Red Legs and Black Sox -- review from a Sox fan

WhiteSoxer
02-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Dear Reds Fans:

I come in peace! Greetings from White Sox Township (too small to be a Nation). I just finished reading Susan Dellinger's Red Legs and Black Sox, obviously as an interested Sox fan. A review of this book (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67083) has been posted at whitesoxinteractive.com and I wanted to share it with Reds fans -- hope you enjoy. It is a most interesting book to be sure!

--WhiteSoxer

reds1869
02-28-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm ordering my copy today. Thanks for the info; it sounds like an interesting read. Nice of you to drop by!

Johnny Footstool
02-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks for posting! Looks like a good read.

Heath
02-28-2006, 03:58 PM
I was waiting to hear from a Sox fan from White Sox Neighborhood.

White Sox Township sounds so Ohio.

westofyou
02-28-2006, 04:05 PM
I've read the bit about ER's confronting the team as well as Hod's brush with a gambler before, but never pondered Dutch throwing the 6th game, he was pretty much beat up by the middle of the WS order that game, all RH's. He was not known for having too much stuff and was a guy who got away with alot because of an odd windup.

In fact the Reds staff was full of pitchers that were the bane of the games existance in the teens. Eller threw a shine ball, Fischer a spitter, Salee was a Kirk Reuter guy, avoiding small parks and getting most of his outs on fly balls and Ruether was a lefty junk pitcher with a Tiant like annoyance in his windup.

A good hitting team will have some good games against that type of stuff in eight games, the White Sox led MLB in Runs, BA, 3rd in Slging, 2nd in OB%, scoring 4 runs off a team in game six hen the opposing pitcher wasn't in on the fix isn't that far fetched.

RedsFan75
03-01-2006, 08:16 AM
And dude, hang around. Thanks for the review, but come back and stick around for the baseball talk.

RedsBaron
03-01-2006, 09:55 AM
I noted that on the White Sox web site someone posted that Roush "even" claimed that the 1919 Reds were better than the 1919 White Sox and would have won the Series even without the "fix."
There is obviously no way to settle that argument, but while the Sox had more future Hall of Famers and while the AL was probably the stronger league then, it should be noted that the 1919 Reds had by far the better record. The Reds had gone 96-44, with a .686%, a better season record than was ever posted by the Big Red Machine, while the White Sox had a 88-52 mark. The Reds scored 577 runs and gave up 401, for a pythagorean record of 92-48; the Sox scored 667 and surrendered 534 for a pythagorean record of 84-56.
In short, the assertion that the Reds were the better team is not that outrageous.

WhiteSoxer
03-01-2006, 11:12 AM
I noted that on the White Sox web site someone posted that Roush "even" claimed that the 1919 Reds were better than the 1919 White Sox and would have won the Series even without the "fix."
There is obviously no way to settle that argument, but while the Sox had more future Hall of Famers and while the AL was probably the stronger league then, it should be noted that the 1919 Reds had by far the better record. The Reds had gone 96-44, with a .686%, a better season record than was ever posted by the Big Red Machine, while the White Sox had a 88-52 mark. The Reds scored 577 runs and gave up 401, for a pythagorean record of 92-48; the Sox scored 667 and surrendered 534 for a pythagorean record of 84-56.
In short, the assertion that the Reds were the better team is not that outrageous.
Teams on paper are one thing - that's why you play the games. Unfortunately there were too many shenangigans going on behind the scenes in 1919 to know who was playing to win and who wasn't, so we'll never know which team would have won if everything was square.

BTW, Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Hope you all enjoy a great season.