PDA

View Full Version : How about Williamson

kheidg-
02-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Scott Williamson: Could be Traded
RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Update: Other teams are interested in Williamson and have been in trade talks with general manager Jim Hendry all winter, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

Recommendation: Some scouts (not surprisingly given his stuff and his history when healthy) view Williamson as a possible eighth- or ninth-inning reliever. With the Cubs signing Bob Howry and Scott Eyre to handle setup roles for closer Ryan Dempster, Williamson's role in Chicago is undetermined, so he could be moved. Why the Cubs gave all that money to two lesser pitchers when they had Williamson in the fold is another issue, but at this point, Williamson could be traded to a team that needs a setup guy and could see some saves eventually if that team's closer were to falter. At this point, it's just speculation, but he's a nice end-game gamble in NL leagues.

Wonder if they'd take Rick White. In all seriousness, IMO he'd be a good gamble given the Reds situation. I see basically no way of this happening though. Anyone know what he makes this season?

savafan
02-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Not certain, but I'm pretty sure he's making around 2 million

kheidg-
03-01-2006, 12:02 AM
You are right Cubs paid him 500K last season and picked up the 2 million option this season. Second year off TJ surgery, I see him having a really good season if he can stay healthy.

KronoRed
03-01-2006, 01:03 AM
No thanks, he's going to blow his arm out again soon.

Johnny Footstool
03-01-2006, 09:45 AM
According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Scotty is unsure of his role with the team. He would, of course, like to be the closer, but knows that won't happen in Chicago.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cub01.html

Due to his injury history, he's not a guy I'd like to invest a lot in. But if he can be acquired on the cheap side, he'd be a huge addition to the bullpen. I'd certainly welcome him back to the Reds.

flyer85
03-01-2006, 09:45 AM
I see him having a really good season if he can stay healthy.that is a very big IF

Heath
03-01-2006, 09:48 AM
You are right Cubs paid him 500K last season and picked up the 2 million option this season. Second year off TJ surgery, I see him having a really good season if he can stay healthy.

You can take the entire Cubs pitching staff and use those words somewhere in a sentence.

Why do I have thoughts of the Cubs finishing sixth?

Johnny Footstool
03-01-2006, 09:54 AM
that is a very big IF

...which is why you don't invest very much in him. But his talent outweighs his injury risk to a degree, especially when you look at the rest of the Reds bullpen.

TOBTTReds
I would love to have him on the team, of course IF he is healthy. I saw after a week of ST, take a look at how he is doing. I would definitely trade for him. Obviously I wouldn't give up much because it would be a risk and I think the Cubs would have to send some cash our way, but I wouldn't mind him coming in to the game in the 9th.

deltachi8
nope. arm go boom soon.

Johnny Footstool
03-01-2006, 10:08 AM
nope. arm go boom soon.

So what if it does?

If you can get Williamson for roster fodder and $2 million, you take that chance. That's not much to risk.

Krusty
03-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Has he changed his mechanics? When he was with the Reds they were concerned with his mechanics and knew it was only a matter of time he would blow out his arm.

Two Tommy John surgeries. I wouldn't invest alot in acquiring him. But I would give Todd Coffey every chance in spring training to show he can be the closer for this club.

RedsManRick
03-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Watching Williamson is like watching a train that's going too fast for the track. You know it's not going to end well, but it sure is exciting to watch it.

Did you realize he struck out 23 guys and walked 6 in 14.1 IP last year? He's still a little on edge control wise, but his stuff is still electric.

deltachi8
03-01-2006, 11:58 AM
So what if it does?

If you can get Williamson for roster fodder and $2 million, you take that chance. That's not much to risk.

$2M is too much for the amount of risk associated with his arm.

Johnny Footstool
03-01-2006, 12:02 PM

I'd say $2M is the perfect amount to risk for the potential gain. So I guess we'll just have to disagree.

KittyDuran
03-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Some pics... :)

KronoRed
03-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Maybe we can make him a starter? :evil:

kheidg-
03-01-2006, 12:39 PM

2 Million is what Tony Womack is getting this season. It also is only twice as much as what Rick White is getting. I'm pretty sure we possibly could have Williamson for a Kevin Howard-like prospect. Having Williamson on the team, injury or not, is still better than having Tony Womack.

I think 2 million is a very conservative risk for Williamson, considering what the reward could be if he stays healthy. His numbers last year (albeit small sample size) seemed to prove that he still has good stuff even after 2 surgeries.

deltachi8
03-01-2006, 12:50 PM
I understand, I just dont belive he would mak eit through a year. Agree to disagree.

RedsManRick
03-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Williamson for Womack! Dusty loves his vets. I mean, what if Neifi gets hurt!?

Spitball
03-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Maybe we can make him a starter? :evil:

Make him a starter and force him to cut back from the 100% effort on each pitch to 90% effort. He might make it. Same might be true of Ryan Wagner.

Hmmm...Years ago, Red Storm and I had many dicussions on this very topic. Has anyone seen our old friend?

cincyinco
03-02-2006, 02:58 AM
Wherever Williamson ends up, and whatever he ends up doing, I hope he does well. Always loved this guy, probably one of my favorite all time Reds pitchers. That 99 year was just fun to watch. Him and Graves were pretty awesome then.. heh. Sigh.

KronoRed
03-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Williamson for Womack! Dusty loves his vets. I mean, what if Neifi gets hurt!?
We can throw in Aurilia too if they want to give us Wood and Prior

KearnsyEars
03-02-2006, 12:59 PM
he was one of my favorite reds when he was here, I'd love to see him come back

Ravenlord
03-02-2006, 07:06 PM
i remember wathcing Wilie pitch last year. i think his forkball has actually gotten better. 23 K's in 14 innings...not bad for a guy who topped 90 once last year.

Falls City Beer
03-02-2006, 07:20 PM
I'd do it. What the hell. Anything to shove all these hyper-low-ceiling arms off the Spring Training dole.