PDA

View Full Version : Vern Ruhle Has Cancer

redsfan30
03-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Horrible news. Sure hope he can fight this.

Thursday, March 02, 2006
Ruhle diagnosed with cancer

LAKELAND -- Reds pitching coach Vern Ruhle has been diagnosed with cancer, the team announced this morning.

Ruhle, 55, will remain with the team as much as possible as he begins treatments.

"Vern is the pitching coach," said general manager Wayne Krivsky.

His illness was discovered during routine physicals given to all members of the coaching staff when spring training began. Ruhle missed Monday's workout for a follow-up appointment with his doctor.

At Ruhle's request, the Reds would not specify the type of cancer. Ruhle is expected to be in Lakeland by game time today. He spent the morning at the complex in Sarasota watching Reds pitchers throw side sessions.

The team released a statement from Ruhle that read as follows:

"I want to express my sincere thanks to the Reds organization and medical team for all their support during this time. My doctors feel that they've caught this at an early stage and it is very treatable. I am prepared to follow their direction and do whatever it takes to overcome this disease. In the meantime, I am keeping a very positive attitude.

"I plan to maintain a presence in spring training, but there will be times when I am away from the team for a few days as I receive treatment. Once again, I want to thank everyone for their support."

Krivsky and manager Jerry Narron said bullpen coach Tom Hume would assist with Ruhle's duties when he is away.

RedFanAlways1966
03-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Hopefully it was caught early and it is a very beatable kind of cancer. All the best to a quick win over the cancer and a speedy recovery for Vern!

Reds4Life
03-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Doesn't say what type of cancer, hopefully it's treatable. :(

MartyFan
03-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Prayers and good thoughts on behalf of Mr. Ruhle.

rdiersin
03-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Yea, this wasn't the kind of big news anyone was hoping for. My thoughts will be with him. Hopefully the doctors are right and they caught it early.

MrCinatit
03-02-2006, 11:39 AM
hopefully, it was indeed caught early enough and he will be all right. fortunately, we do live in a day and age where it can be treated with great care. my dad had throat cancer and has done great years after it was treated.

mole44
03-02-2006, 12:01 PM
"Vern is the pitching coach," said general manager Wayne Krivsky.

:clap:

But on a side note, I hope the best for Vern

KronoRed
03-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Prayers and good thoughts on behalf of Mr. Ruhle.
Agreed.

Caveman Techie
03-02-2006, 12:29 PM
All my best wishes to Vern for a speedy recovery.

Chip R
03-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Get well soon, Vern.

Krusty
03-02-2006, 01:52 PM
With the new technology today, catching it early is the key in the battle with cancer.

cumberlandreds
03-02-2006, 02:41 PM
My prayers and thoughts are with Ruhle. I hope this is a treatable cancer and it was caught early on.

reds1869
03-02-2006, 04:34 PM
My prayers are with him. Thank God for the team's routine physicals; most men only get a physical if forced to. If Ruhle were not in this job he might not have caught it in time.

Topcat
03-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Prayers and best wishes to Vern. Not sure if he reads this board, but I beat Cancer and know he can to.

Gallen5862
03-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Get well soon.

TeamBoone
03-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Doesn't say what type of cancer, hopefully it's treatable. :(

Per the article, "At Ruhle's request, the Reds would not specify the type of cancer.".

Be tough, Mr. Ruhle!

captainmorgan07
03-02-2006, 07:03 PM
i wish vern teh best of luck hope he beats it fast and comes back to help our staff

JinAZ
03-04-2006, 01:00 AM
This from The Sports Xchange over at CBS Sportsline. There are no guarantees with this sort of thing, but it's encouraging (emphasis added):

The club and Vern Ruhle revealed Thursday that the 55-year-old pitching coach has cancer. The disease was detected during team physical examinations early in spring training. Doctors told Ruhle they caught it early and it is treatable. Ruhle preferred not to talk about it and did not reveal the type and location of the disease.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/report/CIN/9279906

Amazing how news like this can snap you back into the realm of what matters, eh?
-JinAZ
edit: added link.