PDA

View Full Version : Huggins returning to UC

Reds4Life
03-02-2006, 09:25 PM
For Senior night at least. ;) Notice the article doesn't say that Zimpher gave her approval, she'll blow a gasket if he walks out onto the floor. I'm glad I got tickets, that place is going to be crazy with Huggy in the house.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060302/SPT0101/303020024/-1/CINCI

Hicks: I'm walking out with Huggs
BY BILL KOCH | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
Former University of Cincinnati basketball coach Bob Huggins is expected to be at Fifth Third Arena on Saturday for the pre-game ceremonies honoring the Bearcats’ five seniors.

And if it’s up to senior forward Eric Hicks, Huggins, whose contract was terminated in August, will do more than sit in one of the luxury suites during the game against West Virginia.

Hicks said Thursday that he planned to walk onto the floor with Huggins, interim head coach Andy Kennedy and his family.

“I called him,” Hicks said of Huggins. “I’m going to walk out with him. I want to go out like everybody else went out. I came here to play for him and AK and that’s who I intend to play for. If AK hadn’t been the coach here (after Huggins left), I would have been gone.”

Kennedy confirmed that Huggins plans to be at the game. He said Huggins had called and asked him if he had any objections if Huggins showed up. Kennedy told him that he didn’t.

But he said he hadn’t heard of any plans for Huggins to accompany Hicks on the floor before the game.

Hicks, though, was adamant in wanting Huggins to be part of the ceremony. He said he had called Huggins and asked if he would do it and that Huggins agreed.

“I’m walking out with him,” Hicks said. “I want to go out with him and AK. I want to go out with them and my family.”

Like many of his predecessors at UC, Hicks had his share of battles with Huggins over the years, but he said they did not diminish the respect he has for his former coach.

“Those type of things, they’re not fun at the time,” Hicks said, “but afterwards they build relationships.”

Cedric
03-02-2006, 11:07 PM
It's amazing how many players loved such a bad guy.

TeamBoone
03-02-2006, 11:20 PM
It's amazing how many players loved such a bad guy.

Bad? How do you mean that?

Cedric
03-02-2006, 11:27 PM
I always confuse you, my fault. Sarcasm.

TeamBoone
03-03-2006, 01:20 AM
I always confuse you, my fault. Sarcasm.

Ah, thank you.

I didn't note the sarcasm as a whole lot of people on this board hate Bob Huggins and would have said something like that and meant it. Which is why I asked what you meant.

As Eric Hicks said, they've had their run-ins but he still loves the guy. Sometimes, I think Hugs practiced tough love with some of these guys... and I think he needed to; he's also gone to bat for them on more than one occasion. In the end, they respected him like a father figure, not just as a coach.

The night they played downtown and Huggins was there, they interviewed Huggins. Seems like he followed up each of his answers with "these are my guys". Contrary to popular opinion and how it sometimes looked, I truly believe he's always loved "his guys" and tried to do what's best for them... personally and athleticly (is that a word?).

SeeinRed
03-03-2006, 02:28 AM
Wouldn't you love to see Huggs in a "Hire Andy" or better yet "Fire Nancy" shirt. :evil: On the other hand, that would pretty much mean that AK doesn't get the job. I bet that place will be rockin if Huggs walks onto that floor. Wish I could be there.

Roy Tucker
03-03-2006, 08:07 AM
I think its a nice gesture for Hicks to have Huggins walk him out on the court for Senior Night.

But I'm afraid Huggins being there is going to completely overshadow celebrating Eric Hicks career and his Senior Night. I believe the Shoe will pretty well go berserk when Huggins walks out there.

I'd hate to see Hicks not get his due. The kid has come a very long way from his freshman year and I've never seen a guy get so much out of so little talent but an awful lot of very hard work. I initially thought he was just a thug, but he turned out to be a good player and good person.

SunDeck
03-03-2006, 02:05 PM
I think its a nice gesture for Hicks to have Huggins walk him out on the court for Senior Night.

But I'm afraid Huggins being there is going to completely overshadow celebrating Eric Hicks career and his Senior Night. I believe the Shoe will pretty well go berserk when Huggins walks out there.

I'd hate to see Hicks not get his due. The kid has come a very long way from his freshman year and I've never seen a guy get so much out of so little talent but an awful lot of very hard work. I initially thought he was just a thug, but he turned out to be a good player and good person.

Good Point, Roy. It must be easy for a kid to get caught up in wanting to have Huggs there and to make a statement about the whole set of events, but it is his night as you say. When I read this article I hoped someone would get to him and talk him down.

Matt700wlw
03-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Wouldn't you love to see Huggs in a "Hire Andy" or better yet "Fire Nancy" shirt. :evil: On the other hand, that would pretty much mean that AK doesn't get the job. I bet that place will be rockin if Huggs walks onto that floor. Wish I could be there.

He'll walk on the floor....and he should because Eric Hicks requested it.

Matt700wlw
03-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Brain Teeter (assistant AD) said the University is fine with it if Huggs decides to partake

Nancy must be out of town :)

flyer85
03-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Huggs should be there but decline walking out with Hicks. It is senior day and it should be there moment.

Matt700wlw
03-03-2006, 04:46 PM
This just in....Hicks and Huggs have decided not to walk out together.

Hicks says he doesn't want to cause any controversy....

It's too bad, I would have loved to seen it.

Reds4Life
03-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Change of plans, Huggins isn't walking out onto the court now. Eric Hicks said he changed his mind after all the "controversy" it created. My guess is the wicked witch of Clifton wouldn't allow it. :rolleyes: