PDA

View Full Version : Felipe Lopez: Prepared for success

OnBaseMachine
03-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Felipe Lopez: Prepared for success
MLBPLAYERS.com

Everything I've been through in my career since I first came up in 2001 -- getting moved up and down and struggling -- has taught me a lot. I've learned. Finally, last season I was more confident and comfortable in my experience and knowledge of the game.

I was brought up fast, before I really had a chance to mature as a baseball player. I knew had the ability, but I was still developing the mental side of it. By that I mean anything from blocking out family situations and not bringing them to the field to knowing what to do to get prepared for each game.

I was at the point where, finally, I had been through it enough and played enough games that I knew what to expect and what I need to do to get ready. I was finally in a position to succeed. I applied that experience and developed an everyday routine that was helpful for me.

The Blue Jays and the Reds have treated me very well. I was just young. I needed to mature. I was ready physically and talent-wise, but I just wasn't ready yet mentally. I learned a lot on my own. I found myself looking back and saying, "Why did I do this?" or "Why didn't I do that?" a lot.

I've decided to concentrate on Spring Training this year rather than play in the World Baseball Classic. My family over in Puerto Rico tells me I'm getting a lot of bad press because of it. But in my heart, I know I've made the right decision.

We have a new manager and new coaches and I felt it was important to stay here and get acquainted with them. We've also had five losing seasons here, so I think we have a lot of work to do here on the Reds this spring to turn that around. It was more important to me to concentrate on my job at this stage.

I would love to represent Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic but I don't just represent Puerto Rico when I play in an international tournament. I represent my country every day when I play in the Major Leagues, off and on the field -- not just a few weeks in a tournament. I'm not a Puerto Rican for just 16 days in March. I represent Puerto Rico for 162 games every season here. To me, at this stage of my career, this was the better decision for me.

I want to be able to represent Puerto Rico for the next 15 years as a Major Leaguer. I'd love to play in the tournament some day. Maybe next time around I'll be in a better position to do that.

Right now, I just want to focus on being prepared and giving 100 percent on the field every day of the season.

Felipe Lopez, a switch-hitter who was the eighth overall selection in the 1998 draft, had a breakout season in 2005, batting .291 with 23 home runs, 85 RBIs and 15 stolen bases for the Reds. He was named to the National League All-Star team and won the Silver Slugger Award at shortstop.

MLBPLAYERS.com is the official Web site of the Major League Baseball Players Association. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060301&content_id=1329231&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

TRF
03-03-2006, 09:36 AM
And that, ARod, is how you handle it.

lollipopcurve
03-03-2006, 10:14 AM
This is why you don't give up on talented young players who struggle when they first hit the majors. Some will mature into All-Stars.

Johnny Footstool
03-03-2006, 10:19 AM
I would love to represent Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic but I don't just represent Puerto Rico when I play in an international tournament. I represent my country every day when I play in the Major Leagues, off and on the field -- not just a few weeks in a tournament. I'm not a Puerto Rican for just 16 days in March. I represent Puerto Rico for 162 games every season here. To me, at this stage of my career, this was the better decision for me

Totally classy.

BRM
03-03-2006, 10:22 AM
This is why you don't give up on talented young players who struggle when they first hit the majors. Some will mature into All-Stars.

Exactly. Hopefully the Reds brass agrees with you if EE ends up struggling some this year.

oneupper
03-03-2006, 10:34 AM
He was certainly prepared for the interview.

lollipopcurve
03-03-2006, 10:44 AM
if EE ends up struggling some this year

I think 2007 is the year EdE really emerges. I expect him to show a little improvement over 05 this year, but not a whole lot.