PDA

View Full Version : Marlins may look to deal Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera

savafan
03-03-2006, 08:30 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=162312

Marlin fishing

As if Joe Girardi didn’t have it bad enough, there’s already talk that stud lefty Dontrelle Willis and third baseman Miguel Cabrera are both going to be available at the trade deadline this summer because their contracts are about to go through the roof.

Willis is collecting $4.3 million this season and has two years of arbitration eligibility left, and Cabrera ($472,000) will reach arbitration status next off-season, when he’s likely to be worth at least $5 million.

There’s not a team in baseball, including the Cubs and Sox, who wouldn’t take a long look at the 24-year-old Willis.

Booming bat

The same goes for the 22-year-old Cabrera, an incredible offensive player who can play third, left and right.

True, he’s had some off-field character issues and based on that wouldn’t fit the Sox’ model, but he’s young, and fellow Venezuelan Ozzie Guillen knows him from their days in Miami together.

A strong clubhouse has a way of eliminating those problems, so if Joe Crede were to suffer a major setback with his back, that’s one place the Sox would have to look.

The Cubs would also find a place to play him if they could snag such a valuable, young player.

KronoRed
03-03-2006, 08:33 PM
You build around guys like that, I guess the Marlins want to play in front of the smallest crowds ever.

pedro
03-03-2006, 08:37 PM
why is Jeffrey Loria allowed to own a baseball team?

KronoRed
03-03-2006, 08:41 PM
why is Jeffrey Loria allowed to own a baseball team?
Could this be a round about way to hold a dispersal draft?

ochre
03-03-2006, 08:44 PM
You build around guys like that, I guess the Marlins want to play in front of the smallest crowds ever.
They're moving the team to Montreal?

pedro
03-03-2006, 08:49 PM
They're moving the team to Montreal?

Actually there was an article in today's Oregonian saying that Portland was still in the running for the marlins but that San Antonio is currently the front runner.

The really interesting thing is that apparntly the marlins had asked MLB's permission to visit Las Vegas again and it was denied. That makes me wonder if MLB isn't saving Las Vegas for the Nationals should they fail to find an owner and/or get a publicly funded stadium in DC.

KronoRed
03-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Or..MLB always wants to have 1 city that they can threaten other teams with, Las Vegas would fit the bill nicely.

WVRed
03-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Paging Wayne Krivsky.

KronoRed
03-03-2006, 09:08 PM
What would we have to offer?

Bailey? Votto? Chaff?

corkedbat
03-03-2006, 09:30 PM

Bailey? Votto? Chaff?

What was Chaff's ERA last year?
:evil:

RedLegSuperStar
03-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Paging Wayne Krivsky.

No kidding.. Those 2 would be monumental adds. Both arn't even 26 yet and are all-stars.

ED44
03-04-2006, 12:03 AM
I would love to add Dontrelle. He is the type of pitcher you want on your squad. He's a competitor and I like the intensity he brings to the game...plus, he gives you a left-handed bat of the bench...see ya, Womack! :D

We couldn't afford both, all things considered, but I would happily take either. The Marlins will get some quality prospects for these two, no matter where they send them.

TeamBoone
03-04-2006, 12:11 AM
And I bet he knows how to play the game.

M2
03-04-2006, 12:32 AM

Bailey? Votto? Chaff?

Homer would be the main bait for Willis. My take is that if Florida's crazy enough to shop that guy the Reds should be willing to go as far as it takes to get him.

Chip R
03-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Homer would be the main bait for Willis. My take is that if Florida's crazy enough to shop that guy the Reds should be willing to go as far as it takes to get him.

Absolutely. They sure wouldn't want anyone expensive so I'd let them pick pretty much who they wanted from the minors and even throw in Pena or Kearns if they want. Would you give them Encarnacion if they asked, though?

Krusty
03-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Doesn't MLB contract with the Players Association expire after the 2007 season? If so, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Twins and Marlins be brought up for contraction in order to gain leverage for the owners in contract negotiations.

M2
03-04-2006, 12:46 AM
Absolutely. They sure wouldn't want anyone expensive so I'd let them pick pretty much who they wanted from the minors and even throw in Pena or Kearns if they want. Would you give them Encarnacion if they asked, though?

That's the rub. They might ask on Eddie. My hope would be that either Bailey or Encarnacion could get the job done and that they'd go with the arm. IMO, the art would be in keeping Eddie out of the mix.

Chip R
03-04-2006, 01:53 AM
IMO, the art would be in keeping Eddie out of the mix.

Increase his salary to about $3-4M a year. They wouldn't touch him then. ;)

Doc. Scott
03-04-2006, 01:55 AM
This is crap. It's a Chicago writer who has no idea what he's talking about.

JinAZ
03-04-2006, 02:04 AM
This is crap. It's a Chicago writer who has no idea what he's talking about.

Yeah, I just can't imagine this is correct. It would make no sense for the Marlins to do this now. I can see them trading Willis at next year's deadline if they're expecting to lose him via free agency, but right now both players are incredibly cheap and productive players. -JinAZ

TOBTTReds
03-04-2006, 02:49 AM
I agree guys, this is a writer just trying to create interest in his cities teams. All he talked about is how much the WSox and Cubs could use them, when in reality, all teams would drool to have either player. This is a load/

KearnsyEars
03-04-2006, 04:04 AM
Do you guys think there is any way the Marlins will stay in Florida?

toledodan
03-04-2006, 04:21 AM
well if the new owner wanted to make a splash it doesn't get much better than that.

KronoRed
03-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Do you guys think there is any way the Marlins will stay in Florida?
No.