PDA

View Full Version : Take the Reds Fan Survey... please? (3/4)

TeamBoone
03-04-2006, 01:47 PM
I just did this survey. They give you the opportunity to say what you feel... about anything Red!

I hope a whole lot of posters here in the Zone will take the time to complete it. Will they compile the results and hopefully learn something from it? I have no idea... I hope so. What they are doing, however, is giving us the opportunity to express ourselves outside this forum?

Please... all of you... do it! The hard-core, highly intelligent members of Redszone are getting the chance to be heard.

If you're unsure, at least please take a look at the first page of the survey and then make your decision. It hooked me from the beginning and got better.

To help us get ready for our 2006 Opening Day special section, give us your thoughts on a variety of Reds and baseball-related topics.

http://websurveyor.net/wsb.dll/22867/reds.htm

KittyDuran
03-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks, TB - I also plugged RedsZone in the comments section at the end...:)

TeamBoone
03-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Thanks, TB - I also plugged RedsZone in the comments section at the end...:)

Good job!

cReds1
03-04-2006, 06:35 PM
What I found interesting from the survey was that over 50% of the fans are from outside of Cincy. Sad really if you think about it.

creek14
03-04-2006, 06:38 PM
What I found interesting from the survey was that over 50% of the fans are from outside of Cincy. Sad really if you think about it.
The Reds need to take note and start marketing to their market.

Gainesville Red
03-04-2006, 06:39 PM
It used to be sad, now that there's ExtraInnings and MLB Audio, not so much. :beerme:

RedRoser
03-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the link to the site, TB.
In the closing comments section, I also gave a plug to Redszone for "insightful Reds discussion."

---RedRoser

paulrichjr
03-04-2006, 08:19 PM

Why is this sad? I think a team is stronger WITH a national following or nonlocal following. The Reds have always drawn from other areas and it wouldn't shock me if that number was actually much higher back in the 70s. In fact I wouldn't doubt over 75% of the fans were outside of Cincy during the 70s.

TeamBoone
03-04-2006, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if "outside the area" fans tend to follow the Reds online more so than local fans do (unless they're hard core local fans). Thus, they found the survey and the locals haven't yet. Hopefully, they'll leave it up more than a day or two.

KittyDuran
03-04-2006, 09:09 PM
I found the question "outside the area" confusing - I almost put down Northern Cincinnati. Sometimes Hamilton, Fairfield, West Chester, and Mason are referred to by that name. So "outside the area" could also be within a 40 mile radius of GABP.

jmcclain19
03-05-2006, 12:15 AM
If anyone cares - here was my "extra comment"

Over the last few years, I've noticed a severe decline in the quality of coverage of the Cincinnati Enquirer's Reds beat. I've been a loyal Reds fan for most of my life, and thanks the internet and DirecTV, I'm able to follow the Reds year round. I've been a reader of Cincinnati.com since the late 90's. Now thanks the MLB package, I'm able to watch the games nightly, and doing so has revealed a large crediblity gap in what the Enquirer puts on on a daily basis concerning the Reds. Kevin Kelly and John Fay repeatedly, over the course of a season, put players in wrong positions, place them on bases they never reached, garble team and player names, and chronicle events that just don't match up with what happened the previous night. After too much of this I've simply moved to getting my Reds news from places like Redszone.com and Marc Lancaster's dispatches in the Post.
Over this past year, the Reds have been for sale, and the paucity of coverage in the Enquirer should have been embarrassing to those in charge. Months went by with nary a peep from the city's largest paper. In any other market like Cincinnati, the baseball team on the market would have merited much more attention. I wish for better from the Enquirer, and always tune back in for Spring Training, only to get greeted again with poor quality management and the same malaise from the beat writing staff.

George Foster
03-05-2006, 01:11 AM
I complained about the black hats, jackets, sleeves, etc. We are the reds..right?

Riverfront
03-05-2006, 02:29 AM
The hard-core, highly intelligent members of Redszone are getting the chance to be heard.

That's funny. :roll: Hardcore, I'll give you that.

Jr's Boy
03-05-2006, 03:00 AM
I stopped the survey when it got to the parts about GABP doing this and doing that.I've never been to Cincinnati.

cReds1
03-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Why is this sad? I think a team is stronger WITH a national following or nonlocal following. The Reds have always drawn from other areas and it wouldn't shock me if that number was actually much higher back in the 70s. In fact I wouldn't doubt over 75% of the fans were outside of Cincy during the 70s.

You don't think it is sad that the locals are not even following their own team as they should? Have you ever thought this could be the reason there is hardly nobody in the stands or should I say only half full? Most of the time it is other teams fans that fill up the stadium like the Cubs or whomever.

Red in Chicago
03-05-2006, 02:41 PM
You don't think it is sad that the locals are not even following their own team as they should? Have you ever thought this could be the reason there is hardly nobody in the stands or should I say only half full? Most of the time it is other teams fans that fill up the stadium like the Cubs or whomever.

As the name implies, I'm from Chicago. However, I am a Reds fan, while my father is a diehard Cubs fan. Each year I bring him to Cincy to see the Reds and Cubs play. Each year it gets more embarrassing as more and more Cub fans fill the stadium with their silly little chant of "Let's go Cubbies, let's go". I think it's kind of sad when someone like me is willing to travel 300 miles to see the team in person, when someone living 3 miles away is not. I'm very hopeful that the new ownership can step up the marketing of this team, as well as put a competitive team on the field.

Chip R
03-05-2006, 03:01 PM
I think it's kind of sad when someone like me is willing to travel 300 miles to see the team in person, when someone living 3 miles away is not. I'm very hopeful that the new ownership can step up the marketing of this team, as well as put a competitive team on the field.

Both will help. People everywhere want to get their money's worth. It's not unique to Cincinnati. You put the Cubs in the Cell and the Sox in Wrigley and the Cubs won't draw nearly as well. You know as well as I do a lot of people go there to party. Most MLB parks don't have that atmosphere. If the Reds can market the product better and put a good team on the field, more people around here will go to the games.

creek14
03-05-2006, 07:19 PM
I dinged them for the BA question. Told them they should be more concerned with OPS. :evil:

TeamBoone
03-05-2006, 08:37 PM
I dinged them for the BA question. Told them they should be more concerned with OPS. :evil:

So did I.

kxblue
03-05-2006, 08:50 PM
The Reds have good attendance for being a bad team. Cincinnati may not be the baseball town it used to be, but if you put a contender on the field and the seats will be filled. As a more casual fan, I will admit that I only read about the Reds (and do not watch the games) once they fall out of contention. At most, I have gone to 5 games a year in the past 3 years.

BTW, the only reason I found the survey was b/c of redszone. I haven't seen it plugged at all in the paper, which may explain the large out of town contingent, as they are more likely to read the paper online.

RedsManRick
03-05-2006, 09:38 PM
I made sure on the "what one thing should a player stop doing"...

Womack -- Playing

Super_Barry11
03-05-2006, 10:41 PM

Womack -- Playing

I put that Matt Belisle should quit acting like he doesn't know me. :laugh: I was totally kidding, but I'm probably going to be slapped with a restraining order now. :p:

westofyou
03-05-2006, 11:00 PM
You don't think it is sad that the locals are not even following their own team as they should?

Locals have the regular beat writers to fill in the blanks, internet is for those out of town. Nature of the beast.

jmcclain19
03-06-2006, 12:14 AM
I put that Matt Belisle should quit acting like he doesn't know me. :laugh: I was totally kidding, but I'm probably going to be slapped with a restraining order now. :p:

"Sheesh, why does he keep hanging up on me!?!? That's the fourth time today. How dare he. I'm going to call him back...."

KronoRed
03-06-2006, 12:25 AM
I'm no longer in the 18-24 bracket..WAHH I'm old :(

TeamBoone
03-06-2006, 01:01 AM
I'm no longer in the 18-24 bracket..WAHH I'm old :(

So stop crying like a baby! :p:

creek14
03-06-2006, 07:35 AM

Womack -- Playing
I put that Milton should stop sucking.

scounts22
03-06-2006, 09:57 AM
I put that Milton should stop sucking.

LMAO, me too!!! :lol:

I'm no longer in the 18-24 bracket..WAHH I'm old

I know how you feel! It's hard to accept...I don't feel that old...:evil:

Johnny Footstool
03-06-2006, 10:52 AM
I dinged them for both Batting Average and pitching Wins. I was feeling pretty good about that, then I read that Creek, Team Boone, and probably everyone else had done it, too.

And here I thought I was a trend-setter!

RedsFan75
03-06-2006, 10:54 AM
LMAO, me too!!! :lol:

I know how you feel! It's hard to accept...I don't feel that old...:evil:
Hurmph! Wait until you have to check the over 45 bracket! :eek: :D

TeamBoone
03-06-2006, 11:47 AM
I also told them that I didn't like to see has-been veterans taking playing time away from the young guys, the future of the Cincinnati Reds.

KronoRed
03-06-2006, 01:15 PM
I mentioned the Reds need to let go of past success and look to the future.

jmbraun773
03-06-2006, 04:13 PM
I also told them that I didn't like to see has-been veterans taking playing time away from the young guys, the future of the Cincinnati Reds.

This is what I said as well, with EE being my specific example.

I don't get to go to many ballgames at GAB, but I go whenever I get the chance. The questions about the old ballpark I had to reply N/A because I only went there when I was really young. I am in my final year of being able to chech the 18-24 age range.