PDA

View Full Version : Okay...what's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

max venable
03-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Mine would have to be guinea pig.

I was in the mountains of Peru. It was a big deal for the locals to have Americans visit. They killed their best guinea pigs (they keep them in pens like chickens). I watched them choke 'em, slit their necks (to let the blood drain out), skin 'em, and then hang 'em on clotheslines. Weird.

They served them to us with paws and all. Tasted okay. It was just weird. Not a whole lot of meat on the bones. Tougher than chicken and all dark meat.

For those of you who have pet guinea pigs...what can I say?:dunno:

VI_RedsFan
03-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Well mine are frozen waffles and macaroni & cheese with ketchup on it. But I don't think they compare with eating a guinea pig!! :)

KronoRed
03-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Cereal with Dr.Pepper instead of milk

Freaking kid said it would be good :runaway:

KittyDuran
03-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Some outside of the Cincinnati area would say a 4 way... ;) I actually haven't eaten anything weird - but my Dad being a Japanese POW had to eat (to stay alive) some unusal things... :yikes:

Yachtzee
03-05-2006, 01:17 AM
A Bulgarian who lived in my building when I lived in Salzburg could cook up some mean fried pigs brains.

remdog
03-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Chicken toes in China---with the donor's head spinning in view on a kind of 'lazy susan'.

Rem

Ravenlord
03-05-2006, 02:09 AM
raw deer heart from a buck i took down with a crossbow bolt when i was 12. cut it out and took a bite.

choclate covered grasshoppers
live grasshoppers
live crickets
roasted spiders
violet leaves
dandelion leaves

max venable
03-05-2006, 08:34 AM
raw deer heart from a buck i took down with a crossbow bolt when i was 12. cut it out and took a bite.

live grasshoppers
live crickets
roasted spiders
violet leaves
dandelion leaves
:eek: Well, you're the winner so far, IMO.

UKFlounder
03-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Some of my family have eated squirrel brains and even racoon (fried, I think)

pedro
03-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Some of my family have eated squirrel brains and even racoon (fried, I think)

I've read that you can contract Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (mad cow) from that.

Yachtzee
03-05-2006, 01:30 PM

live grasshoppers
live crickets
roasted spiders
violet leaves
dandelion leaves

Ted Nugent, is that you? :)

TeamCasey
03-05-2006, 03:38 PM
I like dipping a PBJ sandwich in orange juice. I suppose that's weird.

My godmother and I used to make sandwiches at camp - anything goes bologna, peanut butter, potato chips, jelly beans, the weirder the better. Gross when I think about it. A nice memory .... she was a good sport. :)

tts1stros
03-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Spam flavored ice-cream.

guttle11
03-05-2006, 06:08 PM
This is a family oriented website, right?

OK, then Peanut-Butter and Dorito sandwich.

creek14
03-05-2006, 06:14 PM
:eek: :laugh: @ guttle (I was thinking along the same lines) :devil:

Grass, Black Pepper, Rotten Egg, Booger, Ear Wax, Dirt, Bacon, Earthworm, Soap and Vomit flavored Jelly Belly's.

And vegemite. UGH.

max venable
03-05-2006, 07:26 PM
:eek: :laugh: @ guttle (I was thinking along the same lines) :devil:

Grass, Black Pepper, Rotten Egg, Booger, Ear Wax, Dirt, Bacon, Earthworm, Soap and Vomit flavored Jelly Belly's.

And vegemite. UGH.
Impressive list. :thumbup:

WMR
03-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Lamb fries; cow brain (which was passed off to me by my dad as scrambled eggs!!!)

ghettochild
03-06-2006, 12:25 AM
well to everyone else they think the wierdest thing i eat is skyline

:rolleyes: they'll never understand

westofyou
03-06-2006, 12:29 AM
I've read that you can contract Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (mad cow) from that.
It's brutal on your steelwool pads too.

Dom Heffner
03-06-2006, 12:50 AM
Octopus. I chewed and I chewed and I chewed before placing it in a napkin.

pedro
03-06-2006, 01:13 AM
Larks' Tongues In Aspic

oh wait... that's a King Crimson album.

jmcclain19
03-06-2006, 02:56 AM
I've eaten Rattlesnake.

Much like many other white meats, it tastes like Chicken.

Roy Tucker
03-06-2006, 07:59 AM
I did a wilderness survival thing, so we ate grubs, larvae, and assorted beetles and bugs. After not eating for 3-4 days, a handful of nice fat grubs was actually darn tasty (I'm not kidding). Bugs though were always bitter and the legs would get caught in your throat.

I've tried haggis. Once.

RFS62
03-06-2006, 08:01 AM
Man, I hope Puffy doesn't see this thread.

Although Ravenlord has already won hands down.

oneupper
03-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Octopus. I chewed and I chewed and I chewed before placing it in a napkin.

Then it wasn't made right. Octopus is delicious.

I've had Capibara (Chigüire), Lapa (don't know the translation, it's a rodent), Ostrich, Kangaroo, Shark empanadas, Green eel (Congrio), Sea Urchins, Alligator...to name a few things.

If you travel a bit, you'll see there's a great variety of good tasting stuff out there. Take your local hosts word for it, try it first and THEN ask what it is (was).

Yachtzee
03-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Then it wasn't made right. Octopus is delicious.

I've had Capibara (Chigüire), Lapa (don't know the translation, it's a rodent), Ostrich, Kangaroo, Shark empanadas, Green eel (Congrio), Sea Urchins, Alligator...to name a few things.

If you travel a bit, you'll see there's a great variety of good tasting stuff out there. Take your local hosts word for it, try it first and THEN ask what it is (was).

Having read "The Tin Drum" a few times, I had real problems trying to eat eel. I had sea urchin, but I can't remember what it was like because I had it in the context of a plate of sushi. I've had shark, ostrich, alligator, wild boar and elk too. I was once at a restaurant where they had kangaroo strudel on the menu, but we went with the shark and alligator kebabs instead.

westofyou
03-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Having read "The Tin Drum" a few times, I had real problems trying to eat eel. Or the delicious stew the children made for Oskar...mmmm pee stew.

As a vegetarian I can't claim any weird food eaten myself... taro root?

Nah... not very weird.

pedro
03-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Durian Fruit, Eel, and Alligator are probably my weirdest.

flyer85
03-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Slider and onion chips from White Castle.:help:

RFS62
03-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Alligator, rattlesnake, buffalo, sea urchins would be my most unusual.

Sounds like a Little Debbie snack compared to Ravenlord.

creek14
03-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Slider and onion chips from White Castle.:help:
That's fine dining, baby.

LoganBuck
03-06-2006, 04:05 PM
During a fit a drunken baffoonery in college, we thought it would be cool to try to eat a "Rocky" diet the next morning. Half a dozen raw eggs. That day was pure hell.

gonelong
03-06-2006, 04:24 PM
I once won $50 for drinking an 8 oz glass of beer, cigarette butts, sugar, salt, and pepper.

Wouldn't do it now for less than $1000, but would do it again for $50 in the same situation.

Yuck.

GL

remdog
03-06-2006, 06:48 PM
We went to dinner at the beach the other day. The weather was great and there were a lot of seagulls in the air (and begging for handouts). That brought up the discussion; why don't people eat seagulls? Considering all of the odd things people in this thread have tried, why doesn't someone have a receipe for rosemary/garlic roasted seagull? These birds are about the size of a small chicken and are plentiful so I would think that mankind, in it's continuing quest for food would have taken advantage of them as food source if at all palitable.

Do they taste that bad? Anyone know?

Rem

westofyou
03-06-2006, 06:56 PM
That brought up the discussion; why don't people eat seagulls?Garbage eaters... how come ya never see baby gulls is a bigger mystery

KronoRed
03-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Eating a seagull is the equivalent of eating a rat from the sewer :help:

pedro
03-06-2006, 07:51 PM
"wheat bread" - Krono :p:

remdog
03-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Oh, I fully understand the 'flying ratbird picture' but, then again, catfish are nothing more than swimming rats and humans actually propogate them for comsumtion.

Also, I've often wondered what motivated the first human to try a particular food. For instance, oysters (which I love). When the first caveman picked one out of the sea, finally managed to open it and then looked at it he didn't say 'wow, yummy with a little horseradish, tobasco and lemon. No doubt, hunger was a great motivator but, beyond that....? What about artichokes (another thing that I love)? It's a thistle and it will choke you if you eat the wrong parts. Who was the first person to try that and why (and, did they live :laugh: )?

Just seems to me that there is some interesting history behind some of the things that we eat. :)

Rem

KronoRed
03-06-2006, 08:19 PM
"wheat bread" - Krono :p:
I like wheat bread...as long as somthing is on it

:p:

Falls City Beer
03-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Oh, I fully understand the 'flying ratbird picture' but, then again, catfish are nothing more than swimming rats and humans actually propogate them for comsumtion.

Also, I've often wondered what motivated the first human to try a particular food. For instance, oysters (which I love). When the first caveman picked one out of the sea, finally managed to open it and then looked at it he didn't say 'wow, yummy with a little horseradish, tobasco and lemon. No doubt, hunger was a great motivator but, beyond that....? What about artichokes (another thing that I love)? It's a thistle and it will choke you if you eat the wrong parts. Who was the first person to try that and why (and, did they live :laugh: )?

Just seems to me that there is some interesting history behind some of the things that we eat. :)

Rem

Birds that fly around and flap a lot generally make for tough breast meat. And in the case of the seagull, there's not much else you'd want to eat but the breast meat. I imagine the meat's scanty and tough.

Yachtzee
03-06-2006, 09:12 PM
"Albatross!"

http://www.monty-pythons.com/album/Episode_13/03-albatross.jpg

NoCalRed
03-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Durian Fruit, Eel, and Alligator are probably my weirdest.
I hope you were outside when you had that Durian fruit, that stuff could clear a room out. Did you like it? Even most of the people I met from the areas of the world where it's grown do not seem to like it.

As far as the weirdest I have had eaten. When I was younger I spent quite a bit of time in other countries so I have had some things that maybe considered weird or things that I was not sure what it was. Lets see Chicken feet, monkey meat on a stick, dinuguan and almost tried belut (sp), but once I found out what it was there was not enough red horse or san miguel in the country to make me try it. Ofcourse in TJ I once was hungry enough to eat something from the street vendors after the clubs closed, no telling what that was.

pedro
03-07-2006, 01:34 AM
I hope you were outside when you had that Durian fruit, that stuff could clear a room out. Did you like it? Even most of the people I met from the areas of the world where it's grown do not seem to like it.

I tried it at the Dekalb Farmers Market in Atlanta. The fruit itself was kind of like a custard. It didn't taste bad but it does smell like dirty diapers.

cincinnati chili
03-08-2006, 09:09 PM
I've been told that they'll arrest you for eating Durian fruit in enclosed spaces in Singapore.

cinredsfan2000
03-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Woodchuck

WVJulz
03-13-2006, 07:26 PM
"Albatross!"

http://www.monty-pythons.com/album/Episode_13/03-albatross.jpg

Thanks sooooooooooooo much for the laugh. I literally laughed out loud when I read the quote, but with the picture of John Cleese and Terry Jones with it made it sheer perfection!!!!

I grew up on Monty Python and my 13 year old daughter and 4 1/2 year old son love it too. As a matter of fact, I can say "ALBATROSS' and my son says it right back in the shrill Python drag voice. Classic. Classic.

Julz

wolfboy
03-13-2006, 07:34 PM
I've never had them, but it's still just freaky: Chicken fries?!?

GAC
03-13-2006, 07:39 PM

Was there a full moon that night?

I guess the wierdest thing I ever ate was raw squid. I loved it.

I had chitlins once (had heartburn for a week).

Up my way (around Kenton, Ohio) they have a couple places that have annual game fests. You can sample just about anything from a wide variety of game.

TheBurn
03-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Escamoles - (Black Ant Eggs, not bad after initial shock)
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7199/escamoles12fq.jpg

Gusanos de Maguey - (Fried Cactus Worms, taste exactly like potato skins)
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8092/gdm1tb.jpg

Both are delicacies in Mexico :dunno:

LincolnparkRed
03-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Grilled Beef Tongue at a sushi place here in Chicago. No taste but you could see the taste buds on the one side.

Chip R
03-14-2006, 02:48 PM
I've eaten escargot - and loved it. But that's not too weird. I've had shark steak once - it was delicious. I used to make myself peanut butter, bologna and cheese sandwiches when I was a kid. My younger sister and I would eat dandelion leaves.

deltachi8
03-14-2006, 04:22 PM
4 fried chickens and a coke.

WebScorpion
03-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Ok, what is considered 'weird'?

I eat fried eggs on rice krispies... And mayonaise on my french fries.
I've had squirrel, rabbit, deer, elk, buffalo, ostrich, rattlesnake, alligator, shark, grubs, (Roy's right, they're tasty) beetles, countless green leafy plants, limberger cheese, raw eggs, chocolate covered ants, chocolate covered grasshoppers. I've eaten the worms from many bottles of Mezcal. I've tried both deneguan (blood and guts) and belut (egg with semi-formed chick in it) though I'm not sure that's how you spell either. Blood sausage and clotted cream. Pieces of paper and balloons (not for nutritional reasons) Fire, though you don't actually swallow it (if you're smart) and various things attached to strings in preparation for sword swallowing, which I never tried. Numerous mind altering subtances ....Oh, and of course, being who I am, I ate a scorpion. :D

NEXT!

GAC
03-15-2006, 08:44 AM
I used to make myself peanut butter, bologna and cheese sandwiches when I was a kid.

Me too. Still do. But I also add potato chips. ;)

If it doesn't move, and you slap some sauce on it - my oldest boy would probably eat it. :lol:

KronoRed
03-15-2006, 12:57 PM
4 fried chickens and a coke.
..and some dried white toast.

creek14
03-15-2006, 01:26 PM
I just saw a commercial where Arby's is saying their chicken sandwich is now made with 100% chicken.

So I fear a lot of people have been eating some weird stuff.

pedro
03-15-2006, 01:37 PM
I just saw a commercial where Arby's is saying their chicken sandwich is now made with 100% chicken.

So I fear a lot of people have been eating some weird stuff.

Kind of like the commercial for the McDonalds "McVeggie" sandwich which had the following disclaimer.

mcveggie sandwhich may contain beef or chicken.

KronoRed
03-15-2006, 01:39 PM
mcveggie sandwhich may contain beef or chicken.

That's what all veggies like :D