PDA

View Full Version : Guess Hal's no fan of EdE (Q&A 3/5)

creek14
03-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Dunn provides big target at first base
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

QUESTION With Wily Mo Pena's defensive deficiencies, why didn't they move him to first base instead of Adam Dunn and leave Dunn in left? Dave, Miamisburg/Centerville/Beavercreek

ANSWER Why do birds sing, why do fools fall in love, why do Pena and Dunn wear gloves afield? Both will tell you they would rather hold bats then wear fielding mitts. At first base, though, the 6-6, 275-pound Dunn makes a target that even third baseman Edwin Encarnacion can hit.

Q Gidday, Hal. We get no U.S. baseball Down Under unless we have pay TV, so my question to you is how realistic are the Reds' chances of winning the World Series? Michael, Sydney, Australia

A I'm assuming the baseball news down there is 30 years behind the times and you are asking about the chances of the 1976 team after the '75 team won the Series. Here's a news flash. The '76 team won. But if you're serious about this year, the Reds have about the same chance of making the World Series as I have of becoming mayor of Adelaide.

Q Pitcher Dave Williams may have been unconcerned about his appearance against the Korean team (one inning, five runs and four hits that included a three-run homer), but it bothered me. Yes, spring training is a time to refine your pitches, but I want to be a competitor every time I step on the field. Bill, Dayton

A Williams sincerely begged the beat writers not to write too harshly of him, that there will be better days. For his sake and the sake of the Reds, there better be. If Williams fails, the legions of Sean Casey lovers will make, 'I told you so,' the most spoken phrase east of the Mississippi.

Q Are the Reds better off with new ownership and all the front office personnel? Ted, Dayton

A Was it working under owner Carl Lindner? No. Was it working under general manager Dan O'Brien? No. If it's broke, fix it. It has to be better because it couldn't be worse. But it is going to take patience and putty to patch this thing up.

Q With the quality, or the lack thereof, of starting pitching, how can five individuals be anointed as the starters before a single exhibition game is played? Tim, New Carlisle

A That's just manager Jerry Narron being brutally honest, and he definitely is an honest man. Check the roster. Do you see Roger Clemens? Do you see Pedro Martinez? What you see are names you don't recognize and what you see is what you get. Unless there are injuries or abject failures, there isn't much behind Aaron Harang, Brandon Claussen, Paul Wilson, Eric Milton and Dave Williams. So Narron is being honest. Unless a big-name pitcher mistakenly parachutes into camp and is captured, what's here is here.

Q In my opinion the Reds haven't been competitive since they were in the division with Atlanta and before the wild card. It's like they want to do the bare minimum to make the playoffs. Todd, Dayton

A Ah, the old National League West, occupied by Cincinnati and Atlanta, while the National League East consisted of St. Louis and Chicago. Nobody ever accused baseball of being the favorite in a geography bee, but they did have maps then, didn't they? At that time, Atlanta was a muddy doormat. Now that the Reds are centrally located in the NL Central, they'd love to return to the watery weak NL West, but obviously Bud Knows Geography. And, hey buster, the Reds won the division in 1995. You can't win every year.

Q Why is there so much consternation about the way Pete Rose admitted he bet on baseball? He told the truth, didn't he, and one always tells stories to make themselves look good. Larry, Dayton

A What's the start of baseball season without a Pete Rose discussion? Yes, he thought about it for 14 years and decided, 'Yeah, I bet on baseball.' He didn't come clean. He came tell-tale gray. He didn't tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. He told some truths (some lies), half the truth and anything but the truth. A hundred years after he dies, Rose fans will want him re-instated so he can manage the Reds.

KittyDuran
03-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Well, I'm a big fan of EE's offense but not his defense (I can say the same thing for Dunn as well). Maybe he'll be like Dunn or Wily Mo (esp. WMP) and can make up a costly error with a HR. Unfortunately, the hot corner is one of the hardest IMHO position in baseball and if he masters it - Watch OUT! :)

OnBaseMachine
03-05-2006, 11:23 AM
EE is considered by many to have the skills to be a great defensive third baseman, but like many young players - he has struggled with his throws. In my opinion, he'll develop into a very solid defender at third.

redsfanfalcon
03-05-2006, 11:55 AM
I was down at Spring Training last year, and I saw E.E. make two of the most spectacular plays a third baseman could ever make. The concern would be if he can make the routine play/throw consistently.

lollipopcurve
03-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Right now EdE is the most athletic 3rd baseman in the game. Did you see the throws he made from his knees last year? The deflections he fielded behind the pitcher's mound before throwing the runner out at first? He'll make some errors (not as many as Freel would make there) and he'll make plays that will make your jaw drop. Eventually, he'll win a Gold Glove.

KronoRed
03-05-2006, 01:10 PM
He's fighting Aurilia for a job, no wonder Hal loaths him.

Chip R
03-05-2006, 01:39 PM
This Dave guy needs to make up his mind where he's from.

creek14
03-05-2006, 01:46 PM
This Dave guy needs to make up his mind where he's from.
Hal adds all the locations. Seems Dave lies about his home address.

Dave is to Hal and the Reds as BF is to Dunn.

Big Klu
03-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Q Pitcher Dave Williams may have been unconcerned about his appearance against the Korean team (one inning, five runs and four hits that included a three-run homer), but it bothered me. Yes, spring training is a time to refine your pitches, but I want to be a competitor every time I step on the field. Bill, Dayton

A Williams sincerely begged the beat writers not to write too harshly of him, that there will be better days. For his sake and the sake of the Reds, there better be. If Williams fails, the legions of Sean Casey lovers will make, 'I told you so,' the most spoken phrase east of the Mississippi.

Q Are the Reds better off with new ownership and all the front office personnel? Ted, Dayton

A Was it working under owner Carl Lindner? No. Was it working under general manager Dan O'Brien? No. If it's broke, fix it. It has to be better because it couldn't be worse. But it is going to take patience and putty to patch this thing up.

It was truly most excellent of Bill S. Preston, Esq. and Ted "Theodore" Logan (together they are "Wyld Stallyons!") to write in with their concerns! They are truly righteous dudes who do not suck in a most bogus or heinous manner! Rock on San Dimas...er, Dayton!

Here we see Bill & Ted with the most excellent old dude, Hal McCoy.

http://www.mgm.com/mgm/images/stills/MGMA001152-still_hires.jpg

gonelong
03-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Eventually, he'll win a Gold Glove.

I have his over/under at 3 of them.

GL

RANDY IN INDY
03-07-2006, 06:52 AM
The spectacular plays are great, but the focus to make the routine plays and throws consistently is what makes a great defensive player. If Encarnacion can do that, coupled with his ability to make the spectacular play, the Reds will have something special.