PDA

View Full Version : Eric Milton tidbit...

TeamBoone
03-06-2006, 12:07 AM
I was watching that quiz show on ESPN tonight... Stump the Staub I think it's called. Wow! Are those guys ever good!

Anyway, did you guys know that Eric Milton once pitched a complete, no-hit game? I was astounded. :eek:

Gainesville Red
03-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Yeah, the Schuab is amazing. He's like a living sports almanac.

jmcclain19
03-06-2006, 12:20 AM
I actually remember when that happened

Here you go TB

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/boxscore/09111999.shtml

Looking at that link, I forgot the irony of ironies.

He pitched that night against Ramon Ortiz

ghettochild
03-06-2006, 12:24 AM
well look at that, we had the losing pitcher on our team too

Cyclone792
03-06-2006, 12:31 AM
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B09110MIN1999.htm

I remember that game vividly, especially the backlash in the days following the no-hitter because of the Angels lineup. It was September, and like teams normally do when they're out of contention, Anaheim trotted out a lineup of reserves and September callups. Other than Troy Glaus, the Angels pretty much had a AAA lineup out there against Milton.

vaticanplum
03-06-2006, 12:35 AM
I always thought that was the entire reason the Reds purchased him. Was hard pressed to come up with any other reason. (I'm not even being sarcastic, sadly.)

westofyou
03-06-2006, 12:38 AM
Anyway, did you guys know that Eric Milton once pitched a complete, no-hit game? I was astounded.

Bumpus Jones

KronoRed
03-06-2006, 02:02 AM
Hitting speeds of 94

Those were the days ;)

TeamBoone
03-06-2006, 10:23 AM
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B09110MIN1999.htm

I remember that game vividly, especially the backlash in the days following the no-hitter because of the Angels lineup. It was September, and like teams normally do when they're out of contention, Anaheim trotted out a lineup of reserves and September callups. Other than Troy Glaus, the Angels pretty much had a AAA lineup out there against Milton.

Regardless, it's still quite an accomplishment. I've not seen other pitchers in the same situation do it very often.

Falls City Beer
03-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Yep. Just goes to show you that, at one time, Eric Milton really wasn't the worst pitcher in the universe. Where have all the good times gone?

RedsManRick
03-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Didn't Bud Smith throw a no hitter for the Cardinals in 2001 as a rookie? If you don't know, he was an average prospect, who fell apart physically and then was traded as part of the package for Scott Rolen. I don't think he has (or will) ever make it back to the majors.

No hitters for pitchers are grand slams for hitters. Sometimes even Fernando Tatis can hit 2 in the same inning. Doesn't make him a cleanup hitter... or even a starter...

MartyFan
03-06-2006, 03:00 PM
I really hope his leg is better this year...I know it is a long shot but if his leg is better, he has to be a MUCH better pitcher. I feel bad for him.

traderumor
03-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Yep. Just goes to show you that, at one time, Eric Milton really wasn't the worst pitcher in the universe. Where have all the good times gone?David Lee Roth is wondering the same thing
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Art/COVER/July/050706/050707_davidLeeRoth_vmed_4p.widec.jpg

Reds1
03-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Didn't Bud Smith throw a no hitter for the Cardinals in 2001 as a rookie? If you don't know, he was an average prospect, who fell apart physically and then was traded as part of the package for Scott Rolen. I don't think he has (or will) ever make it back to the majors.

No hitters for pitchers are grand slams for hitters. Sometimes even Fernando Tatis can hit 2 in the same inning. Doesn't make him a cleanup hitter... or even a starter...

I don't know ifyou can compare the two. It's much easier to hit a grand slam then get a no hitter as to do get a no hitter you have to get 27 outs. To hit a grand slam it's just one swing of a bat at the right time. But, I see what you are trying to say.

jmcclain19
03-07-2006, 12:32 AM
I was present at a game where Jose Jiminez threw a no hitter - just weeks before he was demoted to the minor leagues.

Mediocre pitchers can have an outstanding night from time to time.

westofyou
03-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Mediocre pitchers can have an outstanding night from time to time.Alva Lee Holloman, Mike Warren.

bottom_feeder
03-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Regardless, it's still quite an accomplishment. I've not seen other pitchers in the same situation do it very often.

I agree with you. A no hitter is a tremendous accomplishment. I hope Milton's leg injury is better this year, and we get a better year out of him. I doubt he'll ever be an ace pitcher again, but it would be nice if he was more respectable this year.